(Telltale) Walking Dead Collector's Edition - Gamestop Exclusive $69.99

litepink

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
Source: IGN

Telltale has now confirmed to IGN that the Collector’s Edition of The Walking Dead: The Game :)360: :ps3:) will be a GameStop exclusive and is available only to customers who pre-order. As seen below, the set will be available for $69.99 on December 4th and includes:

• A disc containing all five episodes of the game
  • The Walking Dead Compendium One (which normally retails for $59.99 and includes the first 48 issues) with exclusive Charlie Adlard cover art
  • A Collector’s Edition box featuring Charlie Adlard artwork

walkingdeadcag.jpg

---

Retailer exclusive and only through pre-order. This might be one of those collector's editions that doesn't go for half price a few months down the line.

**Available for pre-order now**

The standard release is $29.99 and both SKUs will be out December 4th. [delayed] December 11th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chill out people. Telltale told GS it was preorder only.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/21/the-walking-dead-the-game-retail-bundle-details

What was GS supposed to do? Throw away extra printed copies so it could be moar rarez?

[quote name='DanteWarrior']Got it for my collection & still pretty damn happy about it!!
The box is simply awesome. Would have paid 50 bucks just for it with that sweet slipcover.
To think I got stuff inside it for extra 20 bucks is a great deal for me.
And yes, more copies may have popped up at GS but that doesn't mean it will still be available for anyone to buy retail in a few weeks.
Its a great collectors item - Period.[/QUOTE]

^This This THIS!

I'm very happy with my purchase just for my collection. And walking out with a free movie was icing on the cake. I'm still not a fan of Gamestop, but I was a happy customer that night.

i returned my vanilla copy of this. Even bestbuy still have a bunch of limited edition, there is no way this thing will be sold out like people thought earlier. Waiting for it to hit $15-20 then

[quote name='technicalstylez']a multi gagillion dollar company like gs could easily keep a display case w/ color photocopied artwork on the floor. they are just cheap. even black and white photocopy is fine and they are too cheap for that yet big lots can do it (in before gs has way more games than bl). even better they can do what they used to do and use 1 case for the display with both new/used sticker price on it and u tell the cashier which one u want. that way they can use a used game for display and keep sealed in the back. its really not that hard[/QUOTE]

Exactly. He acts as if Gamestop is the be-all and end-all game retailer, so the way they do things is obviously the right way. Gamestop is a fairly new company. There have been Game retailers for a long time, and they never did this, so how someone can suddenly deem it acceptable, "because it's Gamestop," is dumbfounding.

What's also dumbfounding is the way Gamestop is seemingly allowed to falsely advertise a product. That is completely illegal. You could not do that, and I couldn't, yet large corporations can. They exist because of us, and should abide by ours wants and desires. But hey, the vast majority want to be passive and accept it, while a small percentage actively defend their actions. That's just pathetic.

Hey, maybe I'll open up my "collector's edition," take the comics out, and sell the set without the comics on eBay as new, and claim it was available only through pre-order. Following through on your claims, as we've learned, is not the important part here. The only important part is making the sale, by whatever means. Hey, maybe what's-his-name can purchase it from me. I'm sure he'd be content.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Chill out people. Telltale told GS it was preorder only.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/21/the-walking-dead-the-game-retail-bundle-details

What was GS supposed to do? Throw away extra printed copies so it could be moar rarez?[/QUOTE]

As stupid as it sounds yes they should have been destroyed. Other wise it's not pre-order only. At the very least not sold after the release date.

People are still buying it right now and they didn't pre-order and it's not like they got it on the used market either.

Gamestop has no problem honoring contracts from strategy guide publishers. Most stores destroy guides when they penny per the contract.

If the quanity is right with who ever mentioned the stock I can't see 600 people that cancelled their pre-orders.

[quote name='needler420'].

Gamestop has no problem honoring contracts from strategy guide publishers. Most stores destroy guides when they penny per the contract.
.[/QUOTE]
Strat. guide publishers have no such contracts. Books all are returnable to the vendor and book publishers almost never do a destroy in field. Pennying guides is only from either a crappy Operations team, a store that doesn't know the book industry, or a reaction to a title going OP/OSI and missing return date (usually you have time to return after the OP date). Even those "limited edition" start guides have no weird stipulations on them - they are just generally small print runs.

To whoever was nerd raging over "preorder only" - print runs have to be set well before preorder periods end, and preorders spike dramatically the two weeks before a release. As such the print run was probably set for expected projections based on preorder trends at the time and comp. title history. That projection would have to be an over projection to ensure all preorders are met. Throw all that together with cancellations and companies looking to make profit - and yes there will be more than preordered...

[quote name='Vinny']How can you check? When I try the quantity trick, I just get a message saying there's a limit of 2 per order.[/QUOTE]Quantity trick works on 360. Doesn't work on PS3 for some reason.

[quote name='Izod517']To whoever was nerd raging over "preorder only" - print runs have to be set well before preorder periods end, and preorders spike dramatically the two weeks before a release. As such the print run was probably set for expected projections based on preorder trends at the time and comp. title history. That projection would have to be an over projection to ensure all preorders are met. Throw all that together with cancellations and companies looking to make profit - and yes there will be more than preordered...[/QUOTE]

That's all irrelevant, as they falsely advertised the item, and false advertising is illegal. They purposely falsely advertised to entice more people to buy it. Simple as that. End point.

[quote name='PetersHere']That's all irrelevant, as they falsely advertised the item, and false advertising is illegal. They purposely falsely advertised to entice more people to buy it. Simple as that. End point.[/QUOTE]

And there's the "false advertising" guy :lol:

Threads like these aren't complete without one

[quote name='CAiNiACprime']Meh, semantics on being GOTY while only digital.

The experience it gives is fantastic regardless of only having a digital distribution at the time. The time of people not having some form of internet is hastily drawing to a close. More people have some form of internet over even having a landline these days. We'll eventually be completely digital whether we like it or not.

In any case, the retail release was already known and announced. Thats existing.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you live on one of the coasts as there's plenty of areas in the Midwest that still don't have access to normal broadband Internet. What access they have is either satellite or a 4G receiver through their cell provider that has a 3-5 GB monthly cap.

[quote name='Izod517']Strat. guide publishers have no such contracts. Books all are returnable to the vendor and book publishers almost never do a destroy in field. Pennying guides is only from either a crappy Operations team, a store that doesn't know the book industry, or a reaction to a title going OP/OSI and missing return date (usually you have time to return after the OP date). Even those "limited edition" start guides have no weird stipulations on them - they are just generally small print runs.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but your wrong. GameStop does penny guides and PC games and destroy them per their agreements with various publishers. Just check the penny guide thread on how some CAG's are able to get the guides before they are destroyed.

[quote name='kyrhon']Why is everyone so butthurt in this thread..?[/QUOTE]

Because this supposedly rare and overpriced LE is not back in stock at GS. Thus the people who preordered early feel a bit burned.

Where have you been?

Alright, this junk is up on eBay, so hopefully I can get my money back that way. If that fails, I'll have to return it to Gamestop. I have a question though. I read that they require $25 for pre-orders of collector's editions, so would I get that money back? I don't see how they could keep it. Also, do they refund shipping fees (including the initial shipping to your house), or do you have to pay for it to be shipped back (if you ship it back)? Oh, and one more. If you used a gift card for a portion of your purchase, does the money go back on there, while the rest is returned in cash/to your bank?

[quote name='PetersHere']Exactly. He acts as if Gamestop is the be-all and end-all game retailer, so the way they do things is obviously the right way. Gamestop is a fairly new company. There have been Game retailers for a long time, and they never did this, so how someone can suddenly deem it acceptable, "because it's Gamestop," is dumbfounding.

What's also dumbfounding is the way Gamestop is seemingly allowed to falsely advertise a product. That is completely illegal. You could not do that, and I couldn't, yet large corporations can. They exist because of us, and should abide by ours wants and desires. But hey, the vast majority want to be passive and accept it, while a small percentage actively defend their actions. That's just pathetic.

Hey, maybe I'll open up my "collector's edition," take the comics out, and sell the set without the comics on eBay as new, and claim it was available only through pre-order. Following through on your claims, as we've learned, is not the important part here. The only important part is making the sale, by whatever means. Hey, maybe what's-his-name can purchase it from me. I'm sure he'd be content.[/QUOTE]

You truly are ignorant to business. If GameStop is so bad at business, why is it still around? Why is it still number 1 at the gaming industry and why is it creating contract after contract with major developers? You say I act as if they are the do all end all..... If they aren't then why is Best Buy, Walmart, TRU, Target, and Amazon adopting the trade in deals with minimal success at best? Why is GameStop a billion dollar company with their shortly shady business practices? You're upset over nothing dude the thing works and at the end of the day there is a practice to the deal.

I understand if collectors editions were gut which I NEVER do but games where you have 10 plus on hand why not so people can check the case for specs and info...... The avg. GameStop is the size of a shoe store and there are many of those around... Unless you would want a business to spend countless money on security and glass maintenance for the inevitable breakage attempts then you don't have a valid point. I may not agree with all their practices ( Left 4 Dead and MK V DC being more used than mSRP new ) , but gutting is the best practice. Not only that but only certain people like you complain. Don't shop there go to Walmart or something.

[quote name='Confidance']You truly are ignorant to business. If GameStop is so bad at business, why is it still around? [/QUOTE]

I didn't even bother reading past that, as that says all I need to know. I'm so glad you love modern business methods. I mean, look at all the wonderfully cheap, Chinese made junk we have, now! What's customer service?! Need a job? Look elsewhere! Good business ethics? Who needs that? Man, business is business, and so long as they profit, who cares who they hurt, right?

Go away...

:dunce:

[quote name='MrBoss']Add 999 to your cart.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information.

They still have 580 in stock for the 360, to anyone wondering.

[quote name='red_devil32']lol at the people pre-ordered. This thing will be $30 in less than 6 months[/QUOTE]

Doubt it. There are about 15 Gamestops where I live and only one store has the 360 version in stock, ps3 is sold out.

[quote name='PetersHere']I didn't even bother reading past that, as that says all I need to know. I'm so glad you love modern business methods. I mean, look at all the wonderfully cheap, Chinese made junk we have, now! What's customer service?! Need a job? Look elsewhere! Good business ethics? Who needs that? Man, business is business, and so long as they profit, who cares who they hurt, right?

Go away...

:dunce:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and here I was prepared to let your ignorance remain with your inner self.

Dude, you're just a bitter old man who doesn't like Gamestop for your own reason.

Hope you find peace. I'm done with it.

[quote name='PetersHere']"Extremely Limited Pre-Order ONLY" and "available for purchase after release" mean to very different things.

They had no right advertising it as such, if they did not intend to stick to it. That's called false advertising, and false advertising is illegal. Taking a passive approach to the situation does not help anyone. You may not mind being ripped off, but I do.

This is the same company that sells opened games as new. Don't defend them, you're not in the right here.[/QUOTE]

Did you ever think that maybe they produced an amount of copies they thought they'd sell and then preorders didn't reach that total? Like I said, it's been a day and a half. They'll sell out within the month and then you'll have your Precious. What a fucking baby.

[quote name='EdgeCrusher36']The amount of butthurt peter is pushing out is insane. Go with the "I'm taking my ball and going home" approach with the ebay route is ROFLtastic. :D[/QUOTE]

Oh no, I don't like being lied to! You should be more concerned with the fact that you're an immature little troll. That's far more embarrassing...

By the way, your analogy makes no sense.

[quote name='KanYozakura']Did you ever think that maybe they produced an amount of copies they thought they'd sell and then preorders didn't reach that total? Like I said, it's been a day and a half. They'll sell out within the month and then you'll have your Precious. What a fucking baby.[/QUOTE]

"Limited to pre-orders only" does not equate to "available after release date." It's not a difficult thing to comprehend. All it boils down to is false advertising, and shitty business ethics. This is effectively not limited, and thus not collectible. Had they not flat out lied on their store page, I wouldn't have it right now. As things stand, it's just a marked up, overpriced item.

Good news though, it sold fast on eBay. :)

[quote name='PetersHere']Oh no, I don't like being lied to! You should be more concerned with the fact that you're an immature little troll. That's far more embarrassing...

By the way, your analogy makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

Looking back at your "google search", it even states in multiple results that telltale was the source of the "preorder only" thing you keep trying to hammer in our heads. If it was on the gamestop site, its cause telltale told them that. I just love how you are on this big anti gamestop crusade cause you are butthurt over wording on something. It's just hilarious when people get all up in arms and throw out false advertising when they get upset. Let's see you use classic lines such as "bait and switch" next eh? All of us in this thread with the exception of a few are loving your rage.

[quote name='EdgeCrusher36']Looking back at your "google search", it even states in multiple results that telltale was the source of the "preorder only" thing you keep trying to hammer in our heads. If it was on the gamestop site, its cause telltale told them that. I just love how you are on this big anti gamestop crusade cause you are butthurt over wording on something. It's just hilarious when people get all up in arms and throw out false advertising when they get upset. Let's see you use classic lines such as "bait and switch" next eh? All of us in this thread with the exception of a few are loving your rage.[/QUOTE]

I'm not raging at all, I'm typing as a normally would. You, however, are just an incredibly ignorant, immature little troll trying to start trouble, because you have nothing better to do. It's no wonder you troll though, seeing how unintelligent you are.

You're forgetting the first rule of trolling: Don't take things personally. You seem to be failing at that. :applause:

I'll tell you what, you being so small and all, I'll be the bigger man here, and end this argument before it starts. Cya!

[quote name='technicalstylez']damn. that sux[/QUOTE]

I love being able to read GameStop threads without having to hear about hdmi cables.

I'm thinking of ordering he Xbox version just for keeping around. I think telltale just overestimated preorders. No big deal.

[quote name='PetersHere']I'm not raging at all, I'm typing as a normally would. You, however, are just an incredibly ignorant, immature little troll trying to start trouble, because you have nothing better to do. It's no wonder you troll though, seeing how unintelligent you are.

You're forgetting the first rule of trolling: Don't take things personally. You seem to be failing at that. :applause:

I'll tell you what, you being so small and all, I'll be the bigger man here, and end this argument before it starts. Cya![/QUOTE]

Yes, a bigger man always talks down to the person they are belittling with such wonderful insults as ignorant, immature, unintelligent, and "so small". Nice job hero.

Point is, you got mad, then got mad you got called out on it not by just me, but numerous others in the thread. Go take your ball and go home then and think you won an internet debate. Fact is, we are both pretty sad to even argue this, but at least I can admit to that while you think you won something. So fuck off kindly ;)

I picked up a CE not cause I thought it was rare, cause I wanted the game/book and was sitting on a crapload of gamestop credit. The only think that makes me upset is the supposed freezing/glitching issues the retail version is having. ( Haven't played the game yet)

[quote name='confoosious']I love being able to read GameStop threads without having to hear about hdmi cables.

I'm thinking of ordering he Xbox version just for keeping around. I think telltale just overestimated preorders. No big deal.[/QUOTE]

It's as simple as this.

Those who think this will hit a clearance cycle because Gamestop.com has ~ 500 are fucking nuts. Those will sell out in a few days if not sooner.

It's up to you as a consumer to decide if it is worth $80 but I'm annoyed to see this trend continue; There has NEVER been a release that was perfect in regards to matching preorder sales with preorder allotment. It is NORMAL for an item to come back in stock for a few days after release.

Let's suppose that the print was 10,000 and Gamestop decided to keep 10% as a reserve OR let's pretend they decided to keep 5% as a reserve and then 5% of the orders were cancelled, returned or didn't process due to payment errors.

Either way that is your 1,000 copies.

Wow, wasn't expecting so many salty tears in this thread. Just sounds like the cries of a reseller.

So are the 360 vanilla copies bad enough to the point of unplayability?
Or is it just for some users?
I dont know if I should return mine or not

[quote name='sfabo']So are the 360 vanilla copies bad enough to the point of unplayability?
I dont know if I should return mine or not[/QUOTE]

So I've heard. I can vouch for the PS3 version working on my Slimline. Only issues I've come across is lag and skips in Episode 2's finale.

As far as resale ability I think it'll drop down but still retain some value. This is why I buy some CE and LE's so I can flip em when I'm done with em. I'll be ok and not butt hurt over selling this for 50 plus shipping. Still makes for a great game and a great read

[quote name='sfabo']So are the 360 vanilla copies bad enough to the point of unplayability?
I dont know if I should return mine or not[/QUOTE]

For me (on 360), there’s slight issues that don’t take away from the ‘game’, but rather the ‘experience’. Sometimes you get really involved into the story, or the moment, and then it gets ruined by a small freeze or loading. It has never ruined a QTE or decision making or anything for me. I would say it’s far from unplayable (can’t speak for the ps3 version). You’ll never die or be unable to make decisions because of the technical issues; but you may find yourself getting pulled out of the story every once in awhile when it takes a second to load during a cinematic or something.

I would recommend keeping your copy and playing it though. It’s a very good game still with an incredible story, and I say this as a person who isn’t a fan of point and click games at all. It's very far from "unplayable"

Wait... so wasn't the digital release of this game better on the 360 than the PS3? Is it the opposite with the physical release?

[quote name='technicalstylez']damn. that sux[/QUOTE]

Amen. I loved IATCG's posts, never had an issue with him. Who will run the KMart/Sears clearance & penny guide threads now?

[quote name='Vinny']Wait... so wasn't the digital release of this game better on the 360 than the PS3? Is it the opposite with the physical release?[/QUOTE]

PS3 version was best of the digital versions. Telltale is weird like that, their games always seem to work better on PS3.

[quote name='Vinny']Wait... so wasn't the digital release of this game better on the 360 than the PS3? Is it the opposite with the physical release?[/QUOTE]

The chatter a few pages back is that the PS3 [retail] version was the one with most of the problems. Like I mentioned, I've had a few skips and pauses on 360, but nothing to the point where it affected a QTE or dialouge situation.

[quote name='litepink']For me (on 360), there’s slight issues that don’t take away from the ‘game’, but rather the ‘experience’. Sometimes you get really involved into the story, or the moment, and then it gets ruined by a small freeze or loading. It has never ruined a QTE or decision making or anything for me. I would say it’s far from unplayable (can’t speak for the ps3 version). You’ll never die or be unable to make decisions because of the technical issues; but you may find yourself getting pulled out of the story every once in awhile when it takes a second to load during a cinematic or something.

I would recommend keeping your copy and playing it though. It’s a very good game still with an incredible story, and I say this as a person who isn’t a fan of point and click games at all. It's very far from "unplayable"[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply..
I already bought Ep1 and I was just waiting for the physical release.
But I'll probably just return my copy and wait till the xmas digital (unfortunately) sale.

[quote name='MSUHitman']PS3 version was best of the digital versions. Telltale is weird like that, their games always seem to work better on PS3.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='litepink']The chatter a few pages back is that the PS3 [retail] version was the one with most of the problems. Like I mentioned, I've had a few skips and pauses on 360, but nothing to the point where it affected a QTE or dialouge situation.[/QUOTE]

So... the digital release is better on the PS3 while the physical release is better on the 360. Weird indeed.

I read about issues with the original releases, I was hoping they'd have those fixed for the physical release.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Amen. I loved IATCG's posts, never had an issue with him. Who will run the KMart/Sears clearance & penny guide threads now?[/QUOTE]

No one will. People will miss deals because of him.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back