Test Drive a Chrome Notebook

[quote name='killer9']The battery in this thing is amazing i dont like the fan whirring really loudly when watching vids though[/QUOTE]

Can;t wait to get home to use mine. Was supposed to get home before xmas but that isn't happening now...

Oh wow! 5 more have just been shipped via 2day to my zip. Meaning there's 8 coming tomorrow in a population of only 30k!

What does hurt my odds is the fact that I also live in one of the most tech savvy, rich, and asian neighborhoods around so I'm sure there are plenty that signed up for this.

[quote name='Bioterror']Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! Three were being delivered to my zip, buy none were for me.[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain.

[quote name='hockey0707']How's the notebooks running guys?[/QUOTE]

I'm really looking forward to a Flash update from Adobe... as it stands this thing can't play 480p youtube videos or anything on hulu, fancast, etc nevermind anything HD. Performance while doing anything non-flash is nice though.

I wonder if being a Flash dev affected my app...

I just got an urgent package from Google. Inside was a sticker that's meant for the corner of a laptop, I guess. It has the Chrome logo, along with other stuff on it.

[quote name='AquaKnight']congrats m3wthr33

were you tracking it?[/QUOTE]

Well, it was sent to my work address, but I'm darn sure I applied for my home address, so I'm confused. I have a VAGUE memory of signing up for a sticker.

Doing a search online finds a form to request a free sticker, which I may have filled out, but it's the Cr-48 signup page. Is this a consolation prize or a hint?

Interesting. Two urls.
https://services.google.com/fb/forms/cr48basic/?referrer=chromewebquiz&s=fe5&quizid=415062
https://services.google.com/fb/forms/cr48advanced/?referrer=fbdec7promo

cr48 basic and advanced. One actually asks some questions and such.

I've given up. There is one more zip that has had an exception everyday for the last three days. I'm sure it's not mine because UPS hasn't left anything outside. They also just delivered something yesterday to my house but it wasn't the laptop. Thanks anyways OP!

Google sent them to a lot of people who already are technophiles. They probably wont use the thing for more than 3 days. People who don't have a smart phone, tablet, laptop, or some other portable internet device, would probably get a lot more use out of this thing.

[quote name='shadylane']are they done shipping these out? or are we waiting for new tracking and reference numbers?[/QUOTE]
I assume they shipped out 2k units on Fri, Mon and Tue. But I have only found a fraction of those that were shipped out 2nd Day Air. I assume the rest were shipped UPS Ground, and I still don't know where to look for them... So, waiting for someone to post/pm a tracking number for one that shipped via UPS Ground after 12/17.
[quote name='M3wThr33']Well, it was sent to my work address, but I'm darn sure I applied for my home address, so I'm confused. I have a VAGUE memory of signing up for a sticker.

Doing a search online finds a form to request a free sticker, which I may have filled out, but it's the Cr-48 signup page. Is this a consolation prize or a hint?

Interesting. Two urls.
https://services.google.com/fb/forms/cr48basic/?referrer=chromewebquiz&s=fe5&quizid=415062
https://services.google.com/fb/forms/cr48advanced/?referrer=fbdec7promo

cr48 basic and advanced. One actually asks some questions and such.[/QUOTE]
Some people that signed up for the sticker got a bonus... The sticker came pre-affixed to a Cr-48 notebook... WOW!

I signed up for both... Didn't get either.

[quote name='legendarydogs']You assume they shipped out some packages? So there is a chance they stopped shipping?[/QUOTE]
Here is what the tracker has found so far:
  • 12/09: 2001 packages via Next Day Air @ 2am
  • 12/10: 2127 packages via Next Day Air @ 12am (midnight)
  • 12/10: 2116 packages via Ground @ 3pm (but didn't ship till 12/13)
  • 12/13: 1897 packages via Next Day Air (123) & 2nd Day Air (1774) @ 10pm
  • 12/14: 1960 packages via 2nd Day Air (29) & Ground (1931) @ 8pm
  • 12/15: 1979 packages via 2nd Day Air (56) & Ground (1923) @ 8pm
  • 12/16: 1742 packages via Ground @ 9pm (but didn't ship till 12/17)
  • 12/17: 5 packages via 2nd Day Air @ 4pm
  • 12/20: 448 packages via 2nd Day Air @ 5pm (but didn't ship till 12/21)
  • 12/21: 7 packages via 2nd Day Air @ 4pm (but didn't ship till 12/22)
It seems a little odd that they would only ship 2nd Day Air for 12/17 thru 12/21, so I am guessing that they spiced things up, again, and shipped them via some other method (i.e. different account, etc). So, now we wait patiently for someone to get one of those Ground packages and provide me with the tracking info so I can make the appropriate adjustments to the tracker.

They have already changed things up 3 times since they starts shipping... So, I sort of expect them to have changed things up again.

The last one sent to my city on the tracker shows the 15th.

Wish they would send some to non-techies. Never owned a laptop before, so it'd be nice to try one out.

[quote name='praxus07']The last one sent to my city on the tracker shows the 15th.

Wish they would send some to non-techies. Never owned a laptop before, so it'd be nice to try one out.[/QUOTE]

It's bareeeellyyyy a laptop. More like a netbook, don't get too hyped up if you do happen to get one haha.

[quote name='HDShadow']It's bareeeellyyyy a laptop. More like a netbook, don't get too hyped up if you do happen to get one haha.[/QUOTE]

Still, it's gotta be better than using a PSP as my main portable internet access. :lol:

Back in highscool. The sega Dreamcast was my only internet source from home. Now I got a PC but nothing that goes online that is portable.

Anyway

Came home, saw a brown package! Picked it up and it was something from amazon....

:(

My wife got a Chrome sticker in the mail today. So yeah, they're definitely mailing the stickers to people who signed up. What it means, god only knows.

[quote name='M3wThr33']My wife got a Chrome sticker in the mail today. So yeah, they're definitely mailing the stickers to people who signed up. What it means, god only knows.[/QUOTE]

fuck, if they are sending out stickers now, that must mean they are done.

[quote name='M3wThr33']My wife got a Chrome sticker in the mail today. So yeah, they're definitely mailing the stickers to people who signed up. What it means, god only knows.[/QUOTE]
Was it in the USPS mail? Or did it come UPS, too? If it came UPS, could you post/PM me the tracking number? You can obfuscate the last couple digits if you are paranoid.

[quote name='legendarydogs']fuck, if they are sending out stickers now, that must mean they are done.[/QUOTE]
There was a sticker promo BEFORE the Cr-48 Pilot Program was announced. Some people that only submitted for the sticker received it ATTACHED to a Cr-48... Imagine their surprise... Sign up for a sticker, get a notebook thrown in.

The tracker found several thousand 1 lb packages that are shipped out along with the 6 lb notebook packages, so I suspect that they were sending out stickers all along. I just haven't been able to confirm that these are indeed the stickers, and not some other marketing gimmick.

I guess I had a false positive/alarm. The one listed on the tracker as being N/A for the past couple days now says shipped according to the tracker. I still can't believe that in my area there were so many shipped out, to people who were either tech savvy or knew of the offer, and I wasn't one of them. The area I live in has a ton of kids/old people, so I figured my odds were better. Oh well.

It's amazing. I managed to snag one of the Xbox 360 Kinect bundles (1 of 3000 or so) but yet I couldn't snag a Chrome laptop. (1 of 60,000)

[quote name='SlammedNiss']It's amazing. I managed to snag one of the Xbox 360 Kinect bundles (1 of 3000 or so) but yet I couldn't snag a Chrome laptop. (1 of 60,000)[/QUOTE]
[quote name='killer9']they have not shipped out 60,000 yet[/QUOTE]
Google received a total of 60,000 units from the manufacturer (officially announced by the manufacturer, not Google).

Google has not indicated how many of those were set aside for the Pilot Program. So far, we know of approx 15k units that have shipped as part of the Pilot Program.

I do not think they will be shipping out anymore Chrome notebooks. It is Christmas soon and I think they are just going to stop.

[quote name='legendarydogs']I do not think they will be shipping out anymore Chrome notebooks. It is Christmas soon and I think they are just going to stop.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how you've come to that conclusion. I think it's likely they won't ship any out around xmas but if there's any truth to the 60,000 number there should be be a lot more going out.

Man, I am super jealous and wish I had noticed this thread earlier. I just signed up but checking the tracker it looks like someone just received one right in my small town outside of Chicago.

Here is to hoping that I still could get one, I would be so excited.

Did anyone ACTUALLY receive one seriously?

the tracker thing that you have gamer does not seem to work where i live it says 4 packages were sent and received and i really know that no one in my town received a google package (i live in a really small town everyone knows everyone)

oh and for those who received it how long do they let you keep it?

[quote name='worldwarx']Did anyone ACTUALLY receive one seriously?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, people have posted pics, and there are vids on YouTube.

[quote name='worldwarx']the tracker thing that you have gamer does not seem to work where i live it says 4 packages were sent and received and i really know that no one in my town received a google package (i live in a really small town everyone knows everyone)[/QUOTE]

They might have went to the introverts of the town?

[quote name='worldwarx']oh and for those who received it how long do they let you keep it?[/QUOTE]

At this point it's not 100% clear, but most likely you just get to keep 'em! :)

[quote name='worldwarx']Did anyone ACTUALLY receive one seriously?[/QUOTE]
Yes. Lots of people got them. Several people here in this very thread, and a dozen or so over at SlickDeals.
[quote name='worldwarx']the tracker thing that you have gamer does not seem to work where i live it says 4 packages were sent and received and i really know that no one in my town received a google package (i live in a really small town everyone knows everyone)[/QUOTE]
The tracker works. I can assure you that the packages in the tracker were all Cr-48 deliveries to the zip codes specified. The only thing I cannot say for sure is if that is ALL of them to date. It is possible that the last couple batches were not included in the tracker yet. So, the only way it could be wrong is if there were MORE of them delivered to your town. :roll:

Keep in mind that this is NOT a techies notebook... This is a 'cloud dwellers' notebook. You can't run any other programs on it, just what you have in Chrome... So, the target demographics may not be what you think it is.

And, my guess is that your ZIP code area is much more populated than you think. You didn't post your town/ZIP so I can't be sure... But I bet if you looked it up you would find that there are tens of thousands of people that you don't know living in your ZIP code...
[quote name='worldwarx']oh and for those who received it how long do they let you keep it?[/QUOTE]
You keep them. And it comes with 2 years of wireless data service for free (100 Mb per month).

[quote name='SlammedNiss']It's amazing. I managed to snag one of the Xbox 360 Kinect bundles (1 of 3000 or so) but yet I couldn't snag a Chrome laptop. (1 of 60,000)[/QUOTE]

Want to trade up? lol. I'm probably not going to get either so you're lucky for having snagged at least one of them.

The application is still open and one recently shipped out to my hometown last week. Figured I'd give it a go. FYI, we've gotten 6 here so far... hopefully they a ship a few more out in the next couple of weeks, would be great to use this in my upcoming semester.

I got mine December 15. I applied around Nov 25-Dec 1, not sure when, kind of forgot about it. It's really nice, I'm still getting used to doing everything online, not downloading stuff. The large touchpad takes getting used to. Only one button (the whole pad) makes cut and paste annoying. I blogged about the experience, it was a nice early Christmas present from google.

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']When did you get it!?[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back