Test Drive a Chrome Notebook

[quote name='Kamera']So just to verify - has anyone who applied after the stated deadline received a CR-48/been selected for the program (aka got that email flood)?[/QUOTE]

There was a blog here on CAG mentioning that he or she had applied in January and received the CR-48. So it looks like it was possible.

[quote name='Kamera']So just to verify - has anyone who applied after the stated deadline received a CR-48/been selected for the program (aka got that email flood)?[/QUOTE]

My sister reapplied when she got back to school in late january and got one

I applied the first day and still haven't gotten one, even if I said I'd use it mostly for work. I'm a saaaaad panda (like so many others). =(

I never got one.

Im happy for those who got one and are using it or were in dire need of one, but I'm pretty annoyed about the people who got one just to sell it.

I mean, if a company is willing to give you a free netbook, the least you could do is fulfill your part of the deal.

Seeing how they only want 175 for it I would try down to 150 but if they don't take that then buy for 175. That is if you really want one that bad. All I have seen have went for 400 and up or trade for an iPad.

I had someone offer me a macbook newest model (retails at $999) for the Cr-48. I didn't have to think twice, lol.

I have to say I would have turned down the macbook unless I was some how able to get 2 of the cr-48s. However I'm sure once I started to try out the macbook it would be hard to say no.

[quote name='eric04h']I had someone offer me a macbook newest model (retails at $999) for the Cr-48. I didn't have to think twice, lol.[/QUOTE]
Better use oven mitts while surfing on it;)

oven mits? I've been even gaming on the macbook (Lost planet) and it hasn't gotten very hot at all. Not sure what you ment by that.

The Cr-48 was pretty cool, but I honestly felt like its geared towards kids or people that don't do much at all on a computer. Maybe something to take with you on the go to check stuff, but it sure doesn't substitute a computer. Google usually moves forward, but this just felt like a step backward.

I think I would honestly pick a $250 netbook over a Cr-48. The chrome OS is nice, but...no desktop? no downloads? I might as well attach a keyboard and screen to my phone and I'd have the same internet experience. So, i thought about it, and figured I might as well trade the Cr-48 while it was hot and trendy, before it hit stores and lost its hype. If it became better, I can surely sell the macbook and get 2 of em probably.

The Apps aren't even apps, just a bunch of shortcuts to stuff anyone else can already get to on windows. Considering they made android, Google Chrome OS should have been way better than what it is now. Maybe if they offered webspace (maybe a gig per notebook) so you can install applications and remotely access them.. then THAT might make it worth getting. This way you could use actual applications, and still "live in the cloud".

If This machine is 200 or less, I'd say it'll sell in a class of its own, but if its competing with laptops and notebooks, I don't see it doing very well.

Looks like this party is officially over... http://twitter.com/sundarpichai/status/45181003521728512

It was fun while it lasted... :lol:

Honestly, I hope to see them well below the $200 retail when they ship. Considering the low power, low storage requirements, and free OS (no M$ license fees should make them cheaper than Windoze based alternatives), these 'antiquated tech' notebooks should be cheap to slap together. Assuming, of course, that future Google Aps don't require more powerful CPUs.

Anyone know where I could sell mine online? Ebay apparently doesn't want them sold on there, and I'm getting no bites on CL.

I just need the money and don't need 2 laptops. :p

[quote name='dabamus']Anyone know where I could sell mine online? Ebay apparently doesn't want them sold on there, and I'm getting no bites on CL.

I just need the money and don't need 2 laptops. :p[/QUOTE]

how much pm me

damn it google.

oh well, at least i dont have to constantly look out my window like a dog, waiting for the delivery truck that usually doesnt deliver the package to my house anymore.

[quote name='dabamus']Anyone know where I could sell mine online? Ebay apparently doesn't want them sold on there, and I'm getting no bites on CL.

I just need the money and don't need 2 laptops. :p[/QUOTE]
Same situation here, had mine since the first wave in December and rarely use it, I don't have time to devote to testing the OS. Not much luck on CL for me either.
[quote name='Spanky']Anyone know what that little square is in the upper right hand corner next to the battery?[/QUOTE]

Think of it as having another window open somewhere else. That square is used to toggle between them Try closing the main tab to make it go away.

[quote name='darkjedi187']Seems I got one in the mail today![/QUOTE]

Wow nice. I had long forgotten about these, since I never got one.

[quote name='M3wThr33']I forgot about the company shipping these. If you're not home, they just leave it at the doorstep? No paper slip of re-delivery?[/QUOTE]

Yep they just leave it at your doorstep. That's how I received mine back in January.

[quote name='crazedimp321']How do you know if you've been selected? Do they shoot you a email or anything?[/QUOTE]

Nothing which has always been a problem =\

[quote name='Spanky']I've been thinking of listing my CR-48 notebook on here to make some trades and earn a little cash.[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, what were the hardware specs for the laptop? Also any pics that can be posted would be awesome.

[quote name='crazedimp321']Just out of curiosity, what were the hardware specs for the laptop? Also any pics that can be posted would be awesome.[/QUOTE]

Specs are:
Intel Atom Processor N455 1.66GHz 512K Cache

Tripod Motherboard MARIO – 6050A240910 – MB – A03

Hynix 2GB DDR3 1Rx8 PC3 – 10600S Ram

Intel CG82NM10 PCH

ITE IT8500E Flash ROM

SanDisk sdsa4dh-016G 16GB SATA SSD

Qualcomm Gobi2000 PCI Express Mini Card

AzureWave 802.11 a/b/g/n PCI-E Half MiniCard

Atheros AR5BBU12 Bluetooth V2.1 EDR

Pictures in spoiler
IMG_0488.jpg
IMG_0492.jpg

Bump!

I had signed up under a "business" use way back while you could. I work in the IT department, and, put in for 3 total (you could request multiples under business).

Well, one showed up a couple days ago! :D I'm on vacation but my coworker called me to let me know. I'll be picking it up today.

Perhaps you can gut it for parts and sell them on craigslist?? Morbid to be sure. BUT EFFECTIVE!

I really would like to test one out. But I'm a sucker for new technology. I sign up for the Beta programs on almost EVERYTHING... Lol

I talked to a Google Tech Rep today. He said, at this point, only those that had signed up under "business" use will even be getting these anymore. (Which is why I got one.)

So, don't get your hopes up (unless you are/were with a business and signed up as such).

[quote name='Rig']I talked to a Google Tech Rep today. He said, at this point, only those that had signed up under "business" use will even be getting these anymore. (Which is why I got one.)

So, don't get your hopes up (unless you are/were with a business and signed up as such).[/QUOTE]

: (

And so my small flame of hope is extinguished once again...

Hell I forgot all about this thing till I saw this thread on the front page. Would have been nice to get one just to play around with and give my friend hell about it.

[quote name='Rig']I talked to a Google Tech Rep today. He said, at this point, only those that had signed up under "business" use will even be getting these anymore. (Which is why I got one.)

So, don't get your hopes up (unless you are/were with a business and signed up as such).[/QUOTE]

I think maybe I did...

bread's done
Back