Test Drive a Chrome Notebook

[quote name='A Gamer']It is possible that may be the case... So, anyone that got inundated by the emails and hasn't received a notebook yet, may want to keep a close eye on their doorstep.

Or, they could be on of the hundreds of people who messed up their address (or used PO Boxes, missed all 3 delivery attempts, etc) and their units were returned to sender. Yep... a few HUNDRED Cr-48 packages were returned to Google as 'undeliverable' according to the tracker. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Really? Thats quite interesting

[quote name='crazedimp321']If you are chosen to test one of these notebooks how long does it take until they email you?[/QUOTE]

they dont... unless the new thing catches on... but for no assume that it either shows or doesnt

For those of you that received the flood of emails from the Google Chrome group.. If you don't have a CR-48, you should be receiving one soon apparently!

Taken from the bottom of a apology email I received from Google:

"If you are receiving this email and have not yet received a Cr-48, you should be hearing from us soon. Again, our apologies for the flood of emails, and we hope you will join us at the new forum. "

[quote name='shadylane']Google has been sending out emails to people?[/QUOTE]

No this is what happened. Taken from the email Google sent to the CR-48 users.

Earlier this morning, you may have received a large number of emails from [email protected] regarding the Chrome notebook Pilot program user forum. We apologize for this inconvenience, and you will not receive any more messages from this address. Instructions for deleting these messages are at the end of this email.

What happened? We planned to launch our Chrome Notebook Pilot forum next week to all users who had been selected for the Pilot program. Last night, around midnight Pacific time, a user discovered this forum and posted a message. Unfortunately, we had misconfigured this forum to email every post to every member. Thus, the first post started an avalanche of responses. Some messages were unsubscribe requests, others were thoughtful comments or questions, but all of them were emailed to every user. We have since deleted this group.

Might be that 60,000 people have not signed up for one yet. However I do not think that is the case. I don't see why they are being sent out in waves. I would have thought all would have been sent out at one time.

Still nothing; My girl and I signed up during the "first wave" of sign ups. Tons of them have come to this zip but none of them for either of us.

[quote name='sendme']Might be that 60,000 people have not signed up for one yet. However I do not think that is the case. I don't see why they are being sent out in waves. I would have thought all would have been sent out at one time.[/QUOTE]

It's hype... the whole thing is "Hype". Giving them to random people will screw over better people, this will keep them looking and paying attention, where as the wrong people will make others go "Wow I could win too". Theres also all the netbooks being given for showing interest in the product, some people just replied to a lot of tweets and got one...

I keep seeing UPS trucks when I am on my way home now after that one came to my town. Well after that wenter storm we had. In the past I didn't really see the UPS trucks in this area after 6 at night. Each time they are getting closer and closer to where I live that I see them on my way home. I keep getting my hopes up that one will be here but when I come home nothing. Any one know when they are going to stop sending them? I know once they send out all of them but have they said their is a date that they plan to have shipped all 60,000 out?

[quote name='sendme']...
Any one know when they are going to stop sending them? I know once they send out all of them but have they said their is a date that they plan to have shipped all 60,000 out?[/QUOTE]
Just FYI, they are NOT shipping out 60k units for the Pilot Program.

The manufacturer of the Cr-48 shipped 60k units to Google total.

Consider all of the units they are using internally, all of the businesses and schools that got hundreds or thousands of them, all of the units they destroyed for the YouTube clip, as well as the shipments to media/blogs.

So, whatever is left from the 60k is what is going out in the Pilot Program. Who knows how many that is, or how much of that still remains after the 25k+ they have already shipped to Pilot Program participants.

[quote name='A Gamer']Just FYI, they are NOT shipping out 60k units for the Pilot Program.

The manufacturer of the Cr-48 shipped 60k units to Google total.

Consider all of the units they are using internally, all of the businesses and schools that got hundreds or thousands of them, all of the units they destroyed for the YouTube clip, as well as the shipments to media/blogs.

So, whatever is left from the 60k is what is going out in the Pilot Program. Who knows how many that is, or how much of that still remains after the 25k+ they have already shipped to Pilot Program participants.[/QUOTE]

I feel like you've said this 1000 times already, and people keep asking about the 60k that are being sent out. As A Gamer has said and repeated a billion times, Google never said they are sending out 60k units to members of the pilot program, only that they had 60k units ordered from the manufaturer.

Also, if you didn't get a flood of emails from the Google Group, you can probably give up hope on receiving one in the next couple weeks until the newer shipments start going out. As they said in the apology email a two days ago, all users who have been selected in the program were added to the group...and anyone who was added to the group would have received an email flood. So if you didn't receive an email flood, you weren't added to the group, and if you weren't added to the group, then you weren't selected for the pilot program. And therefore, you can stop getting hopes up with each UPS truck that drives by.

From what I've gathered, it seems Google is sending the shipments out in waves as a method of responding to feedback they've received so far. The first wave probably brought them a ton of bugs and problems, so they fixed the major ones, and sent out a new batch with the most up-to-date OS on it. Next batch, same process. Makes sense to me.

I got delivery confirmation on mine today... Yay!!! :D

Course, I won't be in town to pick it up for a couple weeks... :cry:

I just wanted to post to thank Google, again, for taking the time to hunt me down, and allowing for alternate shipping arrangements. Although I didn't originally plan on being a active participant in the Pilot Program (and I don't think I am, since I believe this is a "marketing/press" package), I am going to try and forge my space in the cloud whenever a mutli-screen, multi-core, multi-terrabyte system is not absolutely necessary.

[quote name='AlkalineProdigy']Just got one today. Shipped out on the 10th. So you may still get one.[/QUOTE]

When did you fill out the form?

I signed up for it in December and I was wanting to know if their was a way to see if I have one coming to me since the tracker is dead. I am moving at the end of this month and I wanted to make sure some douche doesn't end up with it.

For those that want to still track & see if a Notebook is coming to your area,go to UPS.com,click on "Tracking",then click on "Track by reference",then type in your zip code in the "Shipment Reference",put in a date range,put in the country for the "Destination Country",then put in your zip code again for the "Destination ZIP/Postal Code" area,and click track.

You will then see a list of packages being shipped/shipped in your area :)

[quote name='drmo95']Thank you, twistedadrian.[/QUOTE]

Notta problem.I've been religiously doing this for weeks now,of course with disappointment lol

I am hoping for one myself. I registered the day of its opening...

EDIT: Whoa, reply #1000. And 950 of those from people sad they have not gotten one yet.

@twistedadrian - Where exactly are these packages coming from? I want to make sure the origination is Google when I go to the UPS page. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cr-48 are shipping from a distributor in Louisville KY, which happens to be one of UPS's biggest hubs, so a LOT of people ship from there.

Google has been using 2 shipping accounts (put them in the 'other UPS account' field), so you can filter out all the other stuff heading your way using those: A6F803 & Y318X9

Also, they Cr-48 comes in a 6 lb package, so if you see stuff that is not 6 lb then it is something else. Sadly, the search by reference does not allow you to filter based on weight, so you will have to check the weight manually if you actually get a hit.

Actually, I just checked, and you can't leave the reference number blank, so that won't work anyway.

The actual reference numbers are encoded/encrypted, so impossible to guess the sequence. And, they did NOT use the letters "UPS" as reference numbers (not sure who came up with that BS), so that would not work anyway. Here are a couple examples of reference numbers for Cr-48 packages (these have been publicly posted in various forums):

UOR268MLDGP754CZNQDP887T
IPS650ORBKR133ZZWIKH736G
ULI608ELALY593MTGVSJ960S
HHR484XFWQP378GWWSFZ718D
OTS762ZMDKA450VKZARO749H
MJJ798TGHTX466DLOPTD822K
WVF58DLINE736GIENJC558D
WDM483HEFDK9180QFTGE601E

There is a distinct pattern, but no way to figure out the original sequence or to be able to generate the rest of the reference numbers without knowing the private/pubic keys or hash algorithm used.

Well, based on the current map in Google Group, Google has forsaken my city and the cities around, which created a CR-48 void zone. It is both funny and sad at the same time.

[quote name='kube00']Saw a guy selling one im area for $300 on CL....[/QUOTE]

There was also a guy selling one for $599.99 under the Buy it Now option on eBay.

off-topic: did you guys notice there are people selling just the stickers on ebay?

the stickers that came with the laptop actually go for $25+. why would anyone just want the stickers?

lol, oh you ebayers.

you got to be kidding me. People are making hundreds of dollars off these? The guy who is selling one for $600 should be shot! LOL

All the sellers are jackasses. Google isn't sending them out for people to profit off of. They are sending them for them to test them out. That is why I really think Google should have made it one CR-48 per address.

[quote name='sendme']All the sellers are jackasses. Google isn't sending them out for people to profit off of. They are sending them for them to test them out. That is why I really think Google should have made it one CR-48 per address.[/QUOTE]

ill post the gist of what I posted on the Google forum. We are just normal people, see the outcomes... But we dont have the facts. Its quite possible that people signed up with several addresses. I could sign up my grandma, girlfriend, parents, woman next door, etc. It appears that some people are getting several. However we just know that 1 person obtained many. I am not saying none were sent to the same place... just saying that for the most part we just see the data.

I like many just hope to see a final say in this matter. I got no reply from Google, but as long as their going out... its possible im still on the list. Either or its not looking good for us lol.

True. One would think Google would send letters to Craigslist and eBay telling them to take the stuff down. It would be different if the hardware was out for people to buy and tested already however it is not. I can see a lot of them going up once this is all over with and the Chrome OS is officially out.

So just to verify - has anyone who applied after the stated deadline received a CR-48/been selected for the program (aka got that email flood)?

bread's done
Back