Test Drive a Chrome Notebook

Received my notebook today as well. Letting it fully charge before I use it. I plan on doing a blog writeup on it later after I get to fool around with it for a bit.

[quote name='A Gamer']Google went looking for me... Besides the emails to various people they figured would know how to find me, they also tweeted that they were looking for me... Which resulted in a deluge of messages from fans everywhere. Thanks. I got the message! :)

Sadly, I will be traveling for the next few months (i.e. death of the tracker), so I had to turn down their offer to send me one (no one home to receive it)... What terrible timing. Just a week or two earlier, and I would have had my own Cr-48. I guess it was not meant to be. :cry:

Kudos to Google for taking the time to look me up. Even though I was unable to accept their offer, the effort was very much appreciated. :applause:[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's super cool! And what's the reason you couldn't except it? It was not signature required? And even if it was, after 3 attempts they would just keep a hold of it, no?

I can dream can't I. I had a dream where a ups truck went in front of my house and then took of without delivering anything. The dream was freaking terrible it woke me up.

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']Wow, that's super cool! And what's the reason you couldn't except it? It was not signature required? And even if it was, after 3 attempts they would just keep a hold of it, no?[/QUOTE]
After the 3rd failed attempt, UPS will return the package to the sender unless other arrangements are made (i.e. you can call with the number from the slip the driver leaves and have them hold it at will-call).

This applies to signature required packages, or where the driver deems it is not safe to leave the package. The Cr-48 are not signature required, but given the current weather we are having, I would not want a package sitting on the stoop for too long anyway.

But it is not a big deal. I am not their target audience. I could never live in the cloud. So, if I do end up getting one, it will be strictly for the novelty sake... Kind of like my SE/30, NES, 3DO, iPod (launch unit, not one of those new fangled ones), Newton, etc.

The more desperate we are for one the least likely we will get it. Google smells our desire and they scoff at us. We need to act like we don't want it and then we will get it. Just like all the cool guys.

[quote name='A Gamer']After the 3rd failed attempt, UPS will return the package to the sender unless other arrangements are made (i.e. you can call with the number from the slip the driver leaves and have them hold it at will-call).

This applies to signature required packages, or where the driver deems it is not safe to leave the package. The Cr-48 are not signature required, but given the current weather we are having, I would not want a package sitting on the stoop for too long anyway.

But it is not a big deal. I am not their target audience. I could never live in the cloud. So, if I do end up getting one, it will be strictly for the novelty sake... Kind of like my SE/30, NES, 3DO, iPod (launch unit, not one of those new fangled ones), Newton, etc.[/QUOTE]So was google angry at you?

[quote name='Moltres423']So was google angry at you?[/QUOTE]
Not at all. They were looking for me to send me a Cr-48...

But, since I am on the road these days, and no one at my place to accept the delivery, I had to decline their offer. For now. Hopefully they will still have some left when I get back to my slacker routine in a couple months.

[quote name='A Gamer']Not at all. They were looking for me to send me a Cr-48...

But, since I am on the road these days, and no one at my place to accept the delivery, I had to decline their offer. For now. Hopefully they will still have some left when I get back to my slacker routine in a couple months.[/QUOTE]
Email them back and give them my address! ;)

That's good to hear. I applied almost two months ago and I'm wondering if I should do another one. So google is stealth shipping these things without a warning email? XD

[quote name='davfer']is there any other CR-48 Tracker?[/QUOTE]

I have looked online and from what I can tell no. Only other one I saw used google maps but got all its info from the tracker made by a gamer.

So I checked my voicemail today and I have a message from the Mailroom here at school and they told me I have a package waiting for me...

I have not ordered anything that could possibly be in yet... Either it is some random crap that I got free from a long time ago and finally am getting it... or it is the CR-48!!!!!

I have a huge hunch it is something stupid, but with no more tracker I can at least be hopeful until I am fully shot down.

****EDIT*

Apparently my phone is a piece of crap and somehow came up with an old already deleted voicemail... so there was nothing for me at the mailroom. : (

I kind of have given up hope on getting one ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BrolyB593']So I checked my voicemail today and I have a message from the Mailroom here at school and they told me I have a package waiting for me...

I have not ordered anything that could possibly be in yet... Either it is some random crap that I got free from a long time ago and finally am getting it... or it is the CR-48!!!!!

I have a huge hunch it is something stupid, but with no more tracker I can at least be hopeful until I am fully shot down.

****EDIT*

Apparently my phone is a piece of crap and somehow came up with an old already deleted voicemail... so there was nothing for me at the mailroom. : (

I kind of have given up hope on getting one ever.[/QUOTE]

Ouch! Big bummer! :(

Oh man... figures. we are always getting screwed in this thread. We are the cursed chrome pursuers.

I still have some hope but that is quickly going to shit. I saw a UPS truck and thought maybe I got one but when I got home nope. May still get it late to night but I don't think they are still backed up from the winter storm. Also this is not really a big shipping time so I don't see it getting here around this time of night. Usually UPS stopps by here from 12-3.

Sucks the tracker is down and will stay down for some time. would like to see if anymore are being shipped.

[quote name='Robman62']has anyone gotten 2 to one address?[/QUOTE]

a few, some people have gotten 2, and even others like 1 person was claiming to have obtained 5 from google...

So the last number posted was 20,000 or so that have been shipped out correct? Anyone know the number per week that are shipped out?

[quote name='sendme']So the last number posted was 20,000 or so that have been shipped out correct? Anyone know the number per week that are shipped out?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't think about it. I've been getting irked at google, since I filled out for the sticker before this all started, and didnt get that either. The more you think about it, the worse it will get. The fact of the matter is that we dont have "Side" details. These include things we cant track...

• Several websites were giving them away, one of which had 100. I just found out about those today... but that could be 400 of them.
  • Many sites got them for reviews.
  • Atleast 1 was on will it blend.
  • Some im sure will be given out in other ways.
  • General errors with the item, and other such things.
  • etc

While 20,000+ have been sent to people, the figure could easily be higher. This also doesn't account for a week which they were averaging about 1,700 a work day. All things considered we could be at 40,000/60,000. Either or... its not that bright of a future for some of us.

[quote name='admiralvic']I wouldn't think about it. I've been getting irked at google, since I filled out for the sticker before this all started, and didnt get that either. The more you think about it, the worse it will get. The fact of the matter is that we dont have "Side" details. These include things we cant track...

• Several websites were giving them away, one of which had 100. I just found out about those today... but that could be 400 of them.
  • Many sites got them for reviews.
  • Atleast 1 was on will it blend.
  • Some im sure will be given out in other ways.
  • General errors with the item, and other such things.
  • etc

While 20,000+ have been sent to people, the figure could easily be higher. This also doesn't account for a week which they were averaging about 1,700 a work day. All things considered we could be at 40,000/60,000. Either or... its not that bright of a future for some of us.[/QUOTE]

We must remain hopeful! :D

I've kinda given up on getting one at this point. Yeah it would be nice to get one but it seems like Google would rather send multiple units to some people just because they filled out their application in a particular way that got them all approved.

[quote name='demolition man']i've kinda given up on getting one at this point. Yeah it would be nice to get one but it seems like google would rather send multiple units to some people just because they filled out their application in a particular way that got them all approved.[/quote]

+1

So I've made it a point to use this CR48 system almost exclusively at home, and so far I'm loving it. I really hope more people in this thread start to get their own.

My only complaint right now...is that I didn't get the stickers in my package. :whistle2:(

[quote name='captaintek3304']So I've made it a point to use this CR48 system almost exclusively at home, and so far I'm loving it. I really hope more people in this thread start to get their own.

My only complaint right now...is that I didn't get the stickers in my package. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

I'll take your notebook now, then when I get mine and I'll give you stickers and keep the 2nd one... hahahahaa, I kid. All these people getting theres is making me bummed every day I don't get mine....

[quote name='captaintek3304']So I've made it a point to use this CR48 system almost exclusively at home, and so far I'm loving it. I really hope more people in this thread start to get their own.

My only complaint right now...is that I didn't get the stickers in my package. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

As I said I filled out the original sticker application too and got neither LOL

I'm wondering now how different the hardware will be when it comes out. It does not sound like you need much so will it all be the same as the cr48 or better. Also I'm wondering if they will keep updating the cr48 once the OS comes out.

I was actually referring to the sticker package that's being shipped with the most recent batches. About end of January, they started shipping sticker sets with the CR48s, and I figured since I got mine the first week of Feb, I'd get them, but no dice on that. Oh well, a free CR48 with no stickers is still fine with me. :D

I actually totally forgot about this as I signed up in the middle of December.

Yesterday I got some voice mail from my mother, turns out they sent me a CR-48 back home (I was there over X-mas break). She forwarded the package and it was supposed to be here... 15 minutes ago.

Anyways, it was a nice surprise considering the 2 month delay. Not to mention there are apparently stickers inside. :D

So uh has anyone else received a huge influx of emails from other CR-48 users? I currently have 53 unread emails all from different chrome notebook users.

yeah some kind of spam exploit just mark as spam and move on i had like a 100 emails in my inbox lame of google to not protect my email from the spam i signed up for the cr 48 with

[quote name='Spanky']So uh has anyone else received a huge influx of emails from other CR-48 users? I currently have 53 unread emails all from different chrome notebook users.[/QUOTE]

currently it seems that only accepted people are getting those, so I rather get them and the netbook than nothing.

I got the emails as well. Google put everyone who received a CR48 in a Google group to discuss the system and the pilot program. You can just go to your Google Group settings and unsubscribe from the emails.

some people whi havent gotten the xr48 are still getting the emails, is it possible that they will get them soon?

[quote name='Robman62']some people whi havent gotten the xr48 are still getting the emails, is it possible that they will get them soon?[/QUOTE]
It is possible that may be the case... So, anyone that got inundated by the emails and hasn't received a notebook yet, may want to keep a close eye on their doorstep.

Or, they could be on of the hundreds of people who messed up their address (or used PO Boxes, missed all 3 delivery attempts, etc) and their units were returned to sender. Yep... a few HUNDRED Cr-48 packages were returned to Google as 'undeliverable' according to the tracker. :whistle2:#

bread's done
Back