Test Drive a Chrome Notebook

[quote name='Markew001']What are you guys asking UPS? "Uhhh.. I have this random tracking number and I need to know if it's going to such and such a location?" ;)

I am tempted to try... as there are two coming to my zip tomorrow. Part of me just wants to wait and see though...[/QUOTE]

Basically. I just said "If I give you my tracking number, can you confirm the name it's being shipped to?"

They said yes, gave me the name, and it wasn't for me. Unless Google uses code names, I won't be getting one in this shipment.

I think a new batch went out today... So, if you get one that was shipped 11/14 via UPS Ground please PM your tracking number.

Tracker will be updated with the new tracking numbers as soon as I can confirm they are indeed the notebook packages.

Here we (hopefully) go again! I'm hoping that some of us get one this time. Would you post the reference numbers? I want to see if anything is coming my way. I know you're not positive these are it, but still...

[quote name='CactiNomad']Do you have to click the button to use it as your main computer and give feedback?[/QUOTE]

Probably, they want people to use them and provide feedback. Your chances probably drop alot if you say no to that.

[quote name='GiJoeyxx']Probably, they want people to use them and provide feedback. Your chances probably drop alot if you say no to that.[/QUOTE]

Can I redo the survey?

[quote name='CactiNomad']Can I redo the survey?[/QUOTE]
Alot of people have asked if you can redo it, or enter multiple times. I don't think we know an answer yet, sorry.

[quote name='GiJoeyxx']Here we (hopefully) go again! I'm hoping that some of us get one this time. Would you post the reference numbers? I want to see if anything is coming my way. I know you're not positive these are it, but still...[/QUOTE]
They definitely shipped... The reference numbers are encoded/encrypted (basically, not any sequential order). I assume this is in response to my tracker, or the general public's ability to extract tracking numbers from the sequential reference numbers they initially used. Not good.

Tracker will be updating later tonight, after I have made the appropriate adjustments.

Ohh, ok. I'll be checking the site (and here) for any updates. Thanks again for doing this =]

EDIT: Do you have an idea of how many are going out this time? Is it close to the other shipments?

Has the tracker been updated? Also, do we know what the time limit is on these notebooks. For example, if you submitted the form and you haven't received one by this many days then you def not getting one? I placed my application last wednesday I believe...

[quote name='shadylane']Has the tracker been updated? Also, do we know what the time limit is on these notebooks. For example, if you submitted the form and you haven't received one by this many days then you def not getting one? I placed my application last wednesday I believe...[/QUOTE]

Only 1/6 have been shipped there's still a couple weeks till they finish all shipments.

[quote name='shadylane']Has the tracker been updated? Also, do we know what the time limit is on these notebooks. For example, if you submitted the form and you haven't received one by this many days then you def not getting one? I placed my application last wednesday I believe...[/QUOTE]
Not yet... Working on it...

One person signed up 11/08 during the day, and had one ship out in the 11/09 batch, which was then delivered on 11/09... So, signed up and got one the next day.

Another person signed up on 11/07 (first day I had heard of this offer), and theirs shipped out on 11/13 via UPS Ground (i.e. in transit right now).

So, no... It is NOT first-come first-serve... Most likely based on how well your answers fit their target audience.

No love for me, either... And I can assure you if they had sent me one, the tracker probably wouldn't have made it up... Doh! You know... Idle hands...

Tracker is updated, but not all of the ZIP codes are there. Search by city/state until the next update fills in the remaining ZIP codes.

[quote name='A Gamer']Tracker is updated, but not all of the ZIP codes are there. Search by city/state until the next update fills in the remaining ZIP codes.[/QUOTE]

sweet i was searching by zipcode this whole time... didnt know not all zips were in... when i put in my city and state... 3 came up... ETA of 12/20 :bouncy:

The one that was coming to my city was a different zipcode and as of this shipment there hasn't been anymore sent to my city...

I'm quite curious about something that I am surprised no one else has asked yet and this mainly goes out to those who received one. What was your response as to why you would be a unique/good user for the pilot program?

[quote name='fubag']wait so google doesnt contact you? u just wait like a lame duck expecting it?[/QUOTE]
Nope... Which is why people have resorted to using the Cr-48 Shipping Tracker to see if there may be one headed their way...
[quote name='tekssx']Any word if they sent out some through fedex as well yesterday or is that a bunch of jargon?[/QUOTE]
As far as I know, the only ones that went out via FedEx were to industry related people. So, if you have a tech blog, or something that would have put you on the Google Chrome Marketing Department's list, you might have gotten one via FedEx.

So far, I don't think any of us serfs have gotten one via FedEx. UPS Next Day Air for the first 2 batches and then UPS Ground for the following 2.

I wonder why they started shipping Ground? Also, one that was shipped on 12/10 still has an eta of "N/A" but says shipped overnight. Is this normal?

[quote name='bizco17']I wonder why they started shipping Ground? Also, one that was shipped on 12/10 still has an eta of "N/A" but says shipped overnight. Is this normal?[/QUOTE]
I would naturally assume, several thousand people have them and you can read reviews/posts/pics/videos... so the rest of the people are not as important

[quote name='alpha064']One more in transit to my town but shipped the day before I applied, damn it.[/QUOTE]

yeah 2 of them shipped before I applied in my town of around 40,000.

one more shipped but now that I think of it, my odds aren't too hot if its 1 in 40k lol

Just signed up for three (myself, the other IT guy in our plant, and our supervisor). I actually work in IT for a company that would benefit greatly from testing this stuff out.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Yeah, from what I heard, some people's laptops were getting jacked so UPS fixed an exploit.[/QUOTE]
Nah... No one's laptop got jacked. He was just speculating as to what the newsflash could be. And, if you scroll up a bit, you will see a link to a newflash from 2008 showing people's packages getting jacked... So, it is not new, nor is it unheard of. Just not the actual reason the links were removed from the tracker. Nothing changed on the UPS site. Actually, I doubt they were even aware of it.

The actual reason is because the way Google changed their reference numbers, making it very difficult (impossible?) for people to simply guess the sequence. So, now it is very difficult (impossible) for people to extract the tracking numbers for all of the packages by simply knowing one of the reference numbers. Although UPS didn't do anything, it would appear that Google was aware of the issue, and did something to resolve it. And, they did a good job of it, too (unlike the BK Kinect promo's attempt at obfuscation).

The only reason the links were there for the first few batches is because someone (not me) posted a list of tracking numbers, reference numbers and zip codes publicly. And, so I figured I could simply claim that is where I got the information that was used on my site, thus covering my assets from possible UPS or Google inquests.

The information currently on the tracker is NOT in violation of anything since it does not actually have any UPS proprietary info. See... No tracking numbers... No liability.

Pix of my netbook

001-24.jpg

002-20.jpg

003-23.jpg

004-11.jpg

005-8.jpg

Looks good killer9, thanks for the pics.

Now if only they would send me one. :)

What did you guys say in that mini essay portion of the application to get them to send it to you?

[quote name='A Gamer']Nah... No one's laptop got jacked. He was just speculating as to what the newsflash could be. And, if you scroll up a bit, you will see a link to a newflash from 2008 showing people's packages getting jacked... So, it is not new, nor is it unheard of. Just not the actual reason the links were removed from the tracker. Nothing changed on the UPS site. Actually, I doubt they were even aware of it.

The actual reason is because the way Google changed their reference numbers, making it very difficult (impossible?) for people to simply guess the sequence. So, now it is very difficult (impossible) for people to extract the tracking numbers for all of the packages by simply knowing one of the reference numbers. Although UPS didn't do anything, it would appear that Google was aware of the issue, and did something to resolve it. And, they did a good job of it, too (unlike the BK Kinect promo's attempt at obfuscation).

The only reason the links were there for the first few batches is because someone (not me) posted a list of tracking numbers, reference numbers and zip codes publicly. And, so I figured I could simply claim that is where I got the information that was used on my site, thus covering my assets from possible UPS or Google inquests.

The information currently on the tracker is NOT in violation of anything since it does not actually have any UPS proprietary info. See... No tracking numbers... No liability.[/QUOTE]

Ah my bad...that's what my friend here at work informed me of. A couple days ago when the tracking was there, he said he called UPS and the dumbass on the phone gave out the name and address of who the package was going out to, so I didn't see this as being too far fetched.

----------

Gongrats Killer9

@Killer9

Do you mind telling us when you signed up for the program and if you signed up as an individual?

Thanks/Obrigado

Awesome stuff Killer. Hopefully the one going to the tiny little town I live in is mine. Of course I am out of town for work. Supposed to get home on the 24th, but of course if this bad weather doesn't clear out that may not happen.

[quote name='shadylane']If I call ups and ask if there are any packages at 6 pounds being sent to my house, will they be able to verify this for me?[/QUOTE]

How could they verify it's really you who lives at that address?

Anyone can just give away a random address and pretend it's theirs, so I'm almost 100% sure they won't be able to assist you without a tracking number.

I think I did this for ODST....

[quote name='tekssx']How could they verify it's really you who lives at that address?

Anyone can just give away a random address and pretend it's theirs, so I'm almost 100% sure they won't be able to assist you without a tracking number.[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back