Test Drive a Chrome Notebook

[quote name='Hibiki Rush']There is no operating system. All it is is a browser. Literally, it just takes you into a browser on start up.[/QUOTE]

Its like the Matrix :shock:

...there is no spoon...

i gotta say im loving this little netbook 16gb solid state harddrive could be bigger but 2gb of ddr3 ram is pretty good for a netbook

Man I keep checking that tracker, and I know one day there's gonna be a new entry next to the one that is already there, and it is going to be mine! :)

[quote name='Xfactor19990']so is it true that some are not via UPS and thus we cant track all of them, or something changed so now the tracker is broken?[/QUOTE]
Supposedly, the media (i.e. blogs, magazines, etc) got theirs via FedEx. But as far as we know, everyone that signed up via the 'Pilot Program' has received theirs via UPS.

The tracker isn't broken (that I know of?). However, it no longer links directly back to the individual tracking results at UPS. So, there is no way to get at the information (i.e. tracking number or reference number) for any single package. Which means that you won't be able to call UPS with a tracking number to find out if it is yours.

[quote name='A Gamer'] However, it no longer links directly back to the individual tracking results at UPS. So, there is no way to get at the information (i.e. tracking number or reference number) for any single package. Which means that you won't be able to call UPS with a tracking number to find out if it is yours.[/QUOTE]

For security reasons i presume...
Damn, i was glad that it had that option cause figured people would have been able to know the address and have an assurance that the package is theirs.

Of course, a few days that a package is actually being sent to my area, this feature gets taken out. :roll:

I wonder if they are tracking IP's for those who are applying multiple times? I applied and so did my wife from our home IP, and I applied again from my work IP.

[quote name='cRodz']For security reasons i presume...
Damn, i was glad that it had that option cause figured people would have been able to know the address and have an assurance that the package is theirs.

Of course, a few days that a package is actually being sent to my area, this feature gets taken out. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Same here. I just found out about the tracking website. I figured google would send a notice by email to the recipients. My brother just got his at college. He's doing the "I have a free laptop" dance all day.

I don't know why, but I feel like one of the kids trying to find the golden ticket from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

[quote name='A Gamer']YAY! ZIP codes are done!

And, now back to our regularly scheduled gaming session... A. Gamer OUT![/QUOTE]

Lol what exactly does "ZIP codes are done!" mean?

Are you up to a new method? or just simply scanned zip codes?

Whatever it may be, definitely go game! :bouncy:

There were a bunch of ZIP codes that would not verify. Mostly because people don't seem to know their ZIP, state abbreviation, or correct city spelling... And, since Google didn't do an address validation/verification, I had to try to figure them out manually. Ugh!

[quote name='A Gamer']There were a bunch of ZIP codes that would not verify. Mostly because people don't seem to know their ZIP, state abbreviation, or correct city spelling... And, since Google didn't do an address validation/verification, I had to try to figure them out manually. Ugh![/QUOTE]

Oh now I understand, I thought it might be related to a new update on shipments or something...

Quick question for you, although you aren't GOOGLE or anything, do you think people who signed up in the first few days still have a chance of receiving a laptop?

Thanks

[quote name='cRodz']the Q & A are quite amusing[/QUOTE]

Yup...this is my favorite:

Q: I am a bit of a power user and gamer, and the speed of the notebook concerns me. I assume it can handle basic games like tic-tac-toe, but what about something more graphically complex, like Dots. Dec-14-10

A: You've be pleased to know that it runs Crysis 2 -- and probably everything inbetween. Here's an in- game snapshot: http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/9978/crysis2l.jpg

The dude deserves the money alone on the comedy! :bow:

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Yup...this is my favorite:

The dude deserves the money alone on the comedy! :bow:[/QUOTE]

:applause:

Guy is awesome.

It seems the tracker has updated... but nothing new coming to my fairly large city?! WTF.

There were two sent to my tiny city, and it said delivered on 12/15. Seeing how it is 12/16, can I safely assume that these weren't to me?

[quote name='Calinks']Are they still shipping these? Seems like everything stopped two days ago.[/QUOTE]

Well it wouldn't make any sense to stop shipments if they have an application deadline of December 21st... So I would assume they are going to continue shipping them out every other day now, maybe, but they won't stop shipments yet till deadline is up.

The tracker is working, and updating the packages in transit... However, it has not found any new packages.

It could be that they shipped out the first 10000 units and have found that some stuff needs updating before they ship out the rest?

Or, they stopped shipping because a surprisingly high number are undeliverable as submitted, and they need a couple days verify/validate the addresses in their database.

Or, they changed things up again, and I will have to 'fix with' the tracker once someone sends me the tracking number from a package that shipped yesterday or today?

A few more popped up for 90049. God I hope that's me.
The nice area of Los Angeles is 90049. So the odds are low. (Bel Air, Westwood, etc.)

[quote name='A Gamer']The tracker is working, and updating the packages in transit... However, it has not found any new packages.

It could be that they shipped out the first 10000 units and have found that some stuff needs updating before they ship out the rest?

Or, they stopped shipping because a surprisingly high number are undeliverable as submitted, and they need a couple days verify/validate the addresses in their database.

Or, they changed things up again, and I will have to 'fix with' the tracker once someone sends me the tracking number from a package that shipped yesterday or today?[/QUOTE]

Well application deadline is December 21st... how certain are you that they would be shipping out around 60,000 units?

Well shucks! One was sent to my small town, but the tracker says it was delivered yesterday (12/15) and I did not get a delivery. I'm kind of surprised there's someone else in my town who would even know about this program.

has anyone tried shipping multiple laptops under different names to the same address? like one for me, my bro, etc.?

[quote name='tardoman']Well shucks! One was sent to my small town, but the tracker says it was delivered yesterday (12/15) and I did not get a delivery. I'm kind of surprised there's someone else in my town who would even know about this program.[/QUOTE]

So I see we live in the same town. By the way Im typing this from my chrome notebook.

to anyone with one: is it REALLY essential to be on the net all the time? is the notebook totally worthless offline? all i want to do is type stuff up - is that possible offline?

[quote name='fubag']has anyone tried shipping multiple laptops under different names to the same address? like one for me, my bro, etc.?[/QUOTE]

Don't Think your getting the laptops ...

Okay a couple questions I asked that no one has yet to answer.

First off, do I get disqualified if I apply more than once and second I am quite curious as to how those of you received one of these answered the short essay question at the end of the application.

[quote name='venomscarnage']Okay a couple questions I asked that no one has yet to answer.

First off, do I get disqualified if I apply more than once and second I am quite curious as to how those of you received one of these answered the short essay question at the end of the application.[/QUOTE]

i filled out 3 one for me my mom and my sister got mine and on the survey I just said i would love to test out your netbook i would give feedback if i got one

[quote name='killer9']i filled out 3 one for me my mom and my sister got mine and on the survey I just said i would love to test out your netbook i would give feedback if i got one[/QUOTE]
You got 3 for the same address? :hot:

Sigh im so sad lol I want a damn chromebook!!!!!!!! Killer is it everything I dream about, lol you like it? Say it was not free, would you be impressed?

If it was not free i would never buy it no disc drive super small hd other than that it fucking rocks its a little weird having no operating system i am used to booting up in windows all the time but it is a great little machine

bread's done
Back