Test Drive Unlimited (360) $40 MSRP! - New Demo is up - General Discussion

WOW! 35.00 with a GGC, and some places might throw is on sale for 30.00...I think the MMO flavor of this game will make it worth 30.00-35.00 alone.

Normally wouldn't give a damn, but the miniMMO-ish online setup has me somewhat interested. If some retailers have it for 30-35 when it first comes out, I might go for it.

[quote name='Madskills1182']I thought the demo was horrible.[/quote]

They need to retool the controls a little, I'll admit. I hope they do that before it ships.

Let's hope other developers take note of this. Hitman would have been a perfect game to come out at 40.00 along with the PS2 and xbox versions.

[quote name='Stuka']They need to retool the controls a little, I'll admit. I hope they do that before it ships.[/QUOTE]

Atari said that they were even not pleased with the E3 demo they released and plan on releasing a new one this August.

[quote name='flybrione']Atari said that they were even not pleased with the E3 demo they released and plan on releasing a new one this August.[/QUOTE]
Well that's good to hear.

[quote name='seanr1221']Let's hope other developers take note of this. Hitman would have been a perfect game to come out at 40.00 along with the PS2 and xbox versions.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm really hoping will be a side effect of this news. Tomb Raider and Hitman would have been excellent games at $40 but $60 is just too much to ask for a prettier version of a game that's available on the other consoles.

What's funny about that situation is that I liked both Hitman and Tomb Raider and would have bought them for sure at $40. Yeah I could have bought the XBox version for that price but I didn't feel like buying an inferior version when I knew a better version was out there. The result? I didn't buy any version of the game...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']What's funny about that situation is that I liked both Hitman and Tomb Raider and would have bought them for sure at $40. Yeah I could have bought the XBox version for that price but I didn't feel like buying an inferior version when I knew a better version was out there. The result? I didn't buy any version of the game...[/QUOTE]

That's exactly how I feel. It's ashame because both are really good games. Now I do have Tomb Raider (got it as a gift) but I would have bought it and Hitman the day they came out if they were 40.00

[quote name='seanr1221']That's exactly how I feel. It's ashame because both are really good games. Now I do have Tomb Raider (got it as a gift) but I would have bought it and Hitman the day they came out if they were 40.00[/quote]

Ditto, still waiting on a decent price drop for Hitman. With Table Tennis and Test Drive Unlimited at 39.99 I hope its the begenning of a trend.

[quote name='seanr1221']That's exactly how I feel. It's ashame because both are really good games. Now I do have Tomb Raider (got it as a gift) but I would have bought it and Hitman the day they came out if they were 40.00[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, its not that I hate paying $60 for a game. I don't mind it too much really but don't make the price $60 just because its a next gen game. It should offer something more than better graphics and achievements for it to be worth the extra $20. I mean Hitman and Tomb Raider are, from all I've read, DIRECT ports with nothing new. I mean give me a new freakin gun at the very least!

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Ditto, still waiting on a decent price drop for Hitman. With Table Tennis and Test Drive Unlimited at 39.99 I hope its the begenning of a trend.[/quote]

Go for the Play-Asia version. Even at $43 I think it's worth it. If I hadn't beated it on a rental I would have bought it for that price. Probably still will once it gets down to $20.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Ditto, still waiting on a decent price drop for Hitman. With Table Tennis and Test Drive Unlimited at 39.99 I hope its the begenning of a trend.[/QUOTE]

Yeah , games that begin with "T" should all be $39.99 . :lol:

And , just a reminder , Atari is really Infogrames , they changed their name for better recognition . :cool:

The demo was insanely plain, from what I remember; but that price - and the recent screenshots - are interesting me.

Wow.

If the new demo is vastly improved in controls, and the graphics are polished, this could be a bargain at $40. I thought Top Spin 2 was great for $40, and this can be to.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Wow.

If the new demo is vastly improved in controls, and the graphics are polished, this could be a bargain at $40. I thought Top Spin 2 was great for $40, and this can be to.[/QUOTE]

Seconded.

Even though I've got a feeling that the price may drop to $20 around Christmas (assuming sales are bad), I'm biting for $40. At the worst, I've got an amazing bookend for Rumble Roses XX

[quote name='atane']So is $40 the "new" platinum hits price now? That's sad.[/QUOTE]

How is a new release a platinum hit?

[quote name='atane']So is $40 the "new" platinum hits price now? That's sad.[/QUOTE]

WTF?

It's a budget price for next gen titles. Platnium Hits are titles MS has decided sold well and have been out for 10-12 months, I forget which, and they are XBox line. There are no 360 platnium hits yet (Although I'm assuming PGR3, Kameo and PD0 would be them and two of them are already down to $30.).

[quote name='Madskills1182']I thought the demo was horrible.[/QUOTE]

Worse 360 title I've ever played (based on the demo alone). I won't touch it till it's $10 or less.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']WTF?

It's a budget price for next gen titles. Platnium Hits are titles MS has decided sold well and have been out for 10-12 months, I forget which, and they are XBox line. There are no 360 platnium hits yet (Although I'm assuming PGR3, Kameo and PD0 would be them and two of them are already down to $30.).[/QUOTE]

I meant budget price not platinum hits.

The Pre-order bonus at Gamestop gets you a
free Lamborghini Gallardo download .

It's a card with a key code on it .

It also doubles as a contest entry to win a real Lamborghini !!

Grand Prize : 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo

First Prize : 1st class trip to Hawaii

SecondPrize: $5000 Ben Sherman shopping spree

Third Prize : Wireless headphones with Dolby Headphone Technology

Fourth Prize : ATI Memory Card (I don't get it either)

I sure hope they can fix those controls and the "solid bush" syndrome. Though I don't think they're going to fix the latter.

Also initially the online element was causing it to crash, so they shut down the servers. The concept of mmo racing is really neat though. Hope they can pull it off. Plus driving through hawaii is just badass

[quote name='Richlough']The Pre-order bonus at Gamestop gets you a
free Lamborghini Gallardo download .[/QUOTE]

In-store only yet? Because I'm on the verge of ordering it online but with the fiasco that was Battle for Middle Earth II's download code, I may do it instore.

[quote name='terribledeli']In-store only yet? Because I'm on the verge of ordering it online but with the fiasco that was Battle for Middle Earth II's download code, I may do it instore.[/QUOTE]

Yes , I snagged one yesterday . The cards are on the back of a countertop display .

[quote name='Richlough']Yes , I snagged one yesterday . The cards are on the back of a countertop display .[/quote]

Snagged? So you didnt have to pre-order it?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Snagged? So you didnt have to pre-order it?[/QUOTE]

my local gamestop told me I had to pre-order it in order to get the form (which is waay too complex for its own good. Its not a code for the marketplace. Its a code to enter on an Atari site, then Atari will send you a MP code when the game launches). Even my smooth talking and sweet nothings couldn't sway the cashier.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Snagged? So you didnt have to pre-order it?[/QUOTE]

My friend is the manager , he didn't seem to care .
They must have had 15-25 of the cards there , I was probably the first to give a shit about them .
He usually gives out the pre-order bonuses to people who buy the game when it's released if there are any left over .

I used to work with him at EB , he knows I'm a swag whore , so he usually hooks me up .
That's how [when] I got my Saint's Row demo disc :D .

I thought half the reason they were going with a lower MSRP was because they plan to fuck people in the ass with downloadable content? If not, good shit.

Test Drive Unlimited is going to be launching at 39.99 now, as opposed to the normal 59.99 price tag, I just wondered if anyone was now considering picking up this title since it's taken a pretty substantial drop in Release Price...

The only explanation i have for the price is either, Atari trying to make a successful 360 title in attempts to keep the company from going completely under or losing all reputation in the gaming industry.

Or is the price drop due to them possibly trying to charge for the M.O.O.R feature for the online gameplay in this game... I guess it's up to Atari to either make the smart of dumb choice.

Let me know your feedback on the subject.

_------------------------------------------------_

Note: i just found the other thread about Test Drive, but im asking what you think of a possible Subcription fee for the online, But if you feel it necessary, Close the thread since there is another

Thanks.

Chevrolet's C6 and the Z06 Corvettes are two of the newest confirmed rides in Atari's upcoming PC and Xbox 360 racer .

Corvette_C6_01--screenshot_large.jpg

Source GamesRadar

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Worse 360 title I've ever played (based on the demo alone). I won't touch it till it's $10 or less.[/QUOTE]
I'd have to agree with the first part, but I'll wait and see the reviews. If they really did fix it then I'd have to consider a purchase.

[quote name='terribledeli']Early August.[/QUOTE]

This is taken from the xbox.com forum so take it as you will:

ATARI ANNOUNCES SECOND TEST DRIVE UNLIMITED DEMO
- Road Test Racing Reinvented with New Demo Coming to Xbox Live Marketplace -

LYON, FRANCE – 23 August 2006 – Atari today announced the forthcoming launch of a new Test Drive Unlimited playable demo for the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, via Xbox Live® Marketplace. Developed by Eden Games, Test Drive Unlimited has already excited gamers with its massive array of single player challenges and diverse online multiplayer delights. The new demo will be released Thursday August 24th 2006 featuring stunning new vehicles, new challenges, longer play time and a host of other enhancements to give gamers a tantalising taste of racing reinvented. Test Drive Unlimited is scheduled for release across Europe September 8th 2006.

The first Test Drive Unlimited playable demo, released during E3 2006 as part of Microsoft’s initiative to bring gamers closer to the event, was downloaded close to 200,000 times from Xbox Live Marketplace in one short week, bringing the demo in third place overall amongst all downloads during the period. Feedback from the global gaming community proved vital in giving Eden Games a clear direction to improve the quality of the final game and deliver the incredible experience Test Drive Unlimited now offers.

With the new demo allowing up to one hour of play in a 60km² area of the graphically polished and geographically accurate Hawaiian island of Oahu, players will have time to discover a stunning new house, three delicious new super cars – the Ferrari F430, Ford Mustang GT and AC Cobra – and one brutally powerful motorbike, the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R. Players can choose to accept one of the four new offline challenges, take on either of the two new online challenges with up to eight players racing simultaneously, launch instant challenges against anyone they encounter on the road, or just burn gallons of virtual gasoline tearing around the lush tropical roads in free ride. Other enhancements include tighter handling, snappy gear changes, customizable speed blur effects, optional in-car camera vibrations, improved lag allowing eight player online races, fully operational vsync, an incredible level of overall graphical polish, and much more.

“We know Xbox Live gamers in Europe are eagerly anticipating their next taste of Test Drive Unlimited,” said Richard Teversham, Platform & Marketing E&D EMEA, Microsoft. “Test Drive Unlimited gives gamers and their friends an innovative combination of driving skills, connected gaming where ever you are, and unbeatable graphics that harness the power of Xbox 360. This exclusive game is a great addition to the Xbox 360 portfolio.”
-more-
While the new demo gives a good flavour of what to expect from Test Drive Unlimited, it barely scratches the surface of the final game which offers over 1000 miles of roads, 90 of the world’s most exclusive super cars and bikes, and unlimited online challenges. Test Drive Unlimited is racing reinvented.

Test Drive Unlimited is scheduled for release across Europe September 8th 2006 and the new demo is available via Xbox Live Marketplace from August 24th 2006. For more information visit www.testdriveunlimited.com.

http://forums.xbox.com/6301301/ShowPost.aspx

Just Cause and Test Drive demos on the same day!

bread's done
Back