That one game you wanted to sit through, but you just couldn't...

[quote name='georox']Final Fantasy XIII, I really want to see it all but it's sooo boriiiing[/QUOTE]

I was the same way up until this past week. Didn't touch the game for a good six months, stuck on a boss/bored/annoyed. Well I finally finished it this past Sunday and
went back and did the monster hunting missions.
Started having a lot of fun with it again. To get myself through it in the first place I just told myself that I couldn't get Final Fantasy XIII-2 until I finished XIII and it worked. A little self-motivation goes a long way!

Surprised at the hating on Final Fantasy XIII

Personally I am loving it.

Final Fantasy stories have always been weak melodrama - what did you expect?

Paradigm is one of the best RPG systems ever - it gets rid of all the annoying micromanagment bullshit and lets me effectively coach the team, calling out battle plays that they can use to take it to the hole. It just feels more natural to me.

The world is bright and colorful and the mythology is kinda cool. Characters look great and voice acting is not bad.

Little Big Planet.

2.5D is just not my thing.

It throws the perspective off and just plain annoys me.

The art style was cute at first but started to grate on me real fast.

Final Fantasy XIII, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Resident Evil 5, Gears of War 2 and 3, Brutal Legend.. Cripes, I could go on for hours.

[quote name='camoor']Surprised at the hating on Final Fantasy XIII

Paradigm is one of the best RPG systems ever - it gets rid of all the annoying micromanagment bullshit and lets me effectively coach the team, calling out battle plays that they can use to take it to the hole. It just feels more natural to me.

The world is bright and colorful and the mythology is kinda cool. Characters look great and voice acting is not bad.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear it, an epic ending awaits you!

--

I'll add Resonance of Fate to my list. How anyone managed to beat it -- that's a story I really want to hear.

[quote name='camoor']Surprised at the hating on Final Fantasy XIII

The world is bright and colorful and the mythology is kinda cool. Characters look great and voice acting is not bad.[/QUOTE]

I know this wasn't directed at me (?) but the reason I was bored with it in the first place was because I was stuck, anytime that happens in a game I immediately hate the game :lol: I didn't really think about it until I was seeing a lot about XIII-2 and I remembered that I had to finish XIII. I ended up beating the boss like the second or third try (it always seems to play out like that, doesn't it?).

Anyone that is really looking forward to XIII-2 you owe it to yourself to finish XIII, as Panzerfaust said the ending is totally worth it!

Marvel vs Capcom 3 - Being a fan of the first two, I had very high expectations. I felt some characters in this installment were well worth the wait (Deadpool being one of them), but that was it. I kept feeling like it was too short and after a few matches here and there, I didn't feel it anymore to keep going.

Medievil II - A follow up to the PS1 game Medievil, Medievil II took a lot of things into twisted ways. I didn't feel very compelled beating this game as I did with the first title, instead, I keep cheating at it. A lot of things of Medievil II annoyed me to the point where I don't even try beating it anymore.

I guess a more recent game has to be Timeshift. I really wanted to finish a game that I started awhile back, but got stuck in one section and just gave up.

Edit: I'll add Persona on the PSP as a recent portable game that I wanted to sit through, but couldn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine have been mentioned... Fallout 3 and New Vegas, I like the atmosphere and humor of these games and all the freedom seems really cool in theory, but in practice, playing a Fallout game just makes me feel bored, confused, and annoyed. I did get all the way through the main quest in F3 though, just to see if I might start liking it better if I pushed myself enough.

Eternal Sonata, Resident Evil 5, Arkham City-- all games that I really enjoy, characters and style are awesome, good gameplay... I keep wanting to go back to them, but when I actually sit down to play I just find myself gravitating toward something else.

Man, maybe the name of this thread should be "That one FINAL FANTASY game you wanted to sit through, but you just couldn't..."

Recent ones from memory.

Resident Evil 5- Just because your damn Co-OP AI partner is terrible. I had to quit midway into chapter 2 and I love Resident Evil games.

Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines- It is just not grabbing me as I hoped for.

Zelda: Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword- I guess I played too many Zelda games and the formula is starting to bore me.

Bastion- It started off as fetch quests then there it turned into more fetch quests. Plus those damn training missions with your weapons is just painful.

Twilight Princess- Tried so hard to give this a real chance, forced myself to play it as long as I could but ultimately I just felt to get the length the designers simply dragged out things other Zelda games gave you in minutes over a span of hours. When it hit me that I was having less fun with it then WindWaker I knew it was time to stop.

Final Fantasy XIII - I'm aware that an open world is just an illusion but i'll take the illusion over walking down a long corridor over and over. Then the combat system was so neutered it felt like the game was playing itself. I still gave it 20 hours just playing after work but ultimately I have too many games to waste time like that and gave up.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I'll add Resonance of Fate to my list. How anyone managed to beat it -- that's a story I really want to hear.[/QUOTE]
That game surprised me. I didn't like it much at first, but once I wrapped my head around the battle mechanics I had a great time. It's actually quite easy too with the right stategy. The story on the other hand...

It's a good story, but in typical Tri-Ace fashion it's very poorly presented. I had to go online afterward to figure out what the hell was going on.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']

Edit: I'll add Persona on the PSP as a recent portable game that I wanted to sit through, but couldn't.[/QUOTE]

I got that game really cheap through Amazon awhile ago and I tried to play it about three times at night, in lieu of reading a book in bed. Each time I struggled to stay awake and one time, I literally fell asleep with my PSP on top of me.

Final Fantasy XIII - I played through every Final Fantasy (except 8 and the MMORPGS) and this one just takes the cake. My wife loves it though and already has Final Fantasy XIII-2 pre-ordered.

GTA4 - Played the intro mission that gave me an achievement I can never remove. Honestly felt Saints Row had better controls and was a lot more fun, never understood how this game got the near perfect scores it got years ago. Oddly enough I love LA Noire and Red Dead Redemption and have played those to the end.

FF13 - Just couldn't finish it. The game was just too boring.
Deus Ex - Played about 8-10 hours and just got bored.

There are a few more but I can't think of it right now.

Morrowind and Oblivion... mainly because both games were such glitch-fests. I tried multiple times with both but never made it past the first few hours on either.

GTA: Vice City - I just didn't care for the setting or the missions for some reason even though I loved GTAIII.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines- It is just not grabbing me as I hoped for.[/QUOTE]

What class were you playing as in Bloodlines? One issue with Troika games is that certain skill-sets are dull/useless, so you gotta be a character generation freak to derive maximum enjoyment.

For me it's FEAR and Dragon Age. I keep going back to them and just can't stand more than an hour or so before shutting them off. I wish I didn't have such a compulsion to finish a game once I started it, no matter how bad it is...

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']What class were you playing as in Bloodlines? One issue with Troika games is that certain skill-sets are dull/useless, so you gotta be a character generation freak to derive maximum enjoyment.[/QUOTE]
Indeed. Playing a Nosferatu focusing on guns on your first go around would be a fucking nightmare.

America McGee's Alice. It's so damn dated in this day and age in EVERYWAY that it encourages me to tell other people it's fine to get it used.

Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. Just an N64 game with cars as opposed to the usual running and jumping. So in short, slightly more annoying.

Crackdown. Don't know what it is, but possibly the aggravating amount of enemies I dare say.

Dragon Quest VIII. It's charming, but Jesus the game is SO DAMN long.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Going from Fallout 3 to that just felt like a bit of a downgrade to me.

Final Fantasy XIII. Trying to play and beat it right now, but Jesus the characters and the story and overall world are SOOOO boring. It literally feels like I'm going through the motions.

Grand Theft Auto 4. Gameplay. Oh God the gameplay. I'm trying to do a damn mission, I don't need cops all over my ass or people calling as I'm trying to get something done.

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Played the game for two hours straight without saving and then the power died. Since then haven't gone back.

Ico. Never really appealed to me when I played it. Maybe if I try it on PS3.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. I Enjoyed the shit out of it, but for some reason I stopped. Should get back to it eventually.

Metroid Prime. Just felt repetitive after awhile.

Okami. I Don't know what happend to stop me from playing this as well. Enjoyed it, but somehow just stopped.

Half-Life 2: Episode 2. Same reason as above.

Prey. Sooo dated.

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and Two Thrones. Just started getting annoyed at the overall games.

Scribblenauts. The controls, oh God the controls!

Shenmue. Waiting and d-pad controls for a third person perspective game. That didn't sit well with me.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Kinda just bored me. I'll beat it one day for shits and gigs.

[quote name='bardockkun']Grand Theft Auto 4. Gameplay. Oh God the gameplay. I'm trying to do a damn mission, I don't need cops all over my ass or people calling as I'm trying to get something done.[/QUOTE]

It's not the gameplay. You're supposed to not get caught.

[quote name='Survivalism']It's not the gameplay. You're supposed to not get caught.[/QUOTE]
Not get caught in the web of friendship? What if it's part of the mission? WHAT THEN?! I DON'T WANT TO GO BOWLING!

EVER!

I Think more in my head I meant to say I hate how the cops are on my ass and I keep getting calls from my cousin asking to hang out. It's about as annoying as GTA: San Andreas when you're out driving to a mission and oh shit another goddamn gang war on your turf.

Just Cause 2! It's so much fun for the few first hours until it shows you it's ugly face of monotony. There are thousands of items to find, but the rewards are terrible and all of the missions are almost the same. The awful cheesy story doesn't help either. I can look past the non existent AI, the stupid weapon system etc. but giving me such an awesome world with no gameplay variety is turning fun into a lame chore playing through the game to get your money's worth back. I couldn't do it! Especially since I always had to think how much more fun Mercenaries 1 & 2 are even though those are technically inferior to JC2.

I really hope that some of the ex Pandemic people and Avalanche get to make Mercs 3, that would be awesome!

[quote name='Survivalism']Any JRPG. I want so badly to love them.[/QUOTE]
I'm exactly this way with a lot of WRPGs. In the past I've started Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, The Bard's Tale (PS2), Fallout, and Diablo and have not managed to get much more than an hour or two into them.

I'm not completely put off from the genre (I loved Torchlight, for example), but many of them, especially the turn-based ones, are not my cup of tea.

Final Fantasy XIII - I WILL finish this eventually as I gave it a second chance months ago, but predictably haven't returned the split second I took a break to play something else. I still find the battle system mind numbingly tedious and a large majority of the characters boring as shit. Lightning and Sazh's chocobo are as ridiculously awesome as I remember though so that helps.

GTA 4 - I was NEVER a huge fan of GTA mainly because of the controls, lack of variety, and because it feels like the game never ends. Especially when I simply want to beat the main story and move on with my life as quickly as humanly possible. I'm honestly surprised I got through and actually enjoyed Red Dead Redemption.

I have plenty more to list but since they are all for the same reason (boredom) I won't bother.

[quote name='bardockkun']Not get caught in the web of friendship? What if it's part of the mission? WHAT THEN?! I DON'T WANT TO GO BOWLING!

EVER!

I Think more in my head I meant to say I hate how the cops are on my ass and I keep getting calls from my cousin asking to hang out. It's about as annoying as GTA: San Andreas when you're out driving to a mission and oh shit another goddamn gang war on your turf.
[/QUOTE]
That reminds me of this one time I did a mission in GTA IV that ended with me having to flee on-foot from a bunch of guys with guns. I forget exactly what the situation was, but you had to climb this big-ass apartment complex, kill a guy - which alerted the aforementioned guys with guns - and escape.

Well, as soon as you get on to the street - guys with guns still chasing you - NICO! MY COUSIN!

fuck off, I can't open a car door while I'm on my phone, asshole.

[quote name='Kia-Tiaph']Just Cause 2! It's so much fun for the few first hours until it shows you it's ugly face of monotony. There are thousands of items to find, but the rewards are terrible and all of the missions are almost the same. The awful cheesy story doesn't help either. I can look past the non existent AI, the stupid weapon system etc. but giving me such an awesome world with no gameplay variety is turning fun into a lame chore playing through the game to get your money's worth back. I couldn't do it! Especially since I always had to think how much more fun Mercenaries 1 & 2 are even though those are technically inferior to JC2.

I really hope that some of the ex Pandemic people and Avalanche get to make Mercs 3, that would be awesome![/QUOTE]

I'm with you on JC2 they did such a good job on the world but damn did they just say screw it when it came to mission variety, I quit it for the same reason.

[quote name='blueshinra']I'm exactly this way with a lot of WRPGs. In the past I've started Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, The Bard's Tale (PS2), Fallout, and Diablo and have not managed to get much more than an hour or two into them.

I'm not completely put off from the genre (I loved Torchlight, for example), but many of them, especially the turn-based ones, are not my cup of tea.[/QUOTE]

I'm also trying to get into the genre but the only game that's done it for me was Mass Effect.

Fallout 3, Dragon Age, Deus Ex & Fables, I tried them all, just not for me. But then again I'm not much of a JRPG fan as of late either.

I sorta got into DA2 but about halfway through I just stopped. Tried picking it back up recently but it's just a chore to play.

gonna have to chime in on jc2 i tried to go back to it and the missions are so damn dull. its fun to just fuck around in it but other than that nope. hope the next one has mp.

Fallout New Vegas: I went into the game expecting glitches and was a bit surprised to not run into many at all. I just plain wasn't interested in the story of this game and as such just gave up about 10 hours into it.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Tried many times to get into this game and just end up losing interest. One day I'll conquer it...maybe.

[quote name='kaikou']Fallout New Vegas: I went into the game expecting glitches and was a bit surprised to not run into many at all. I just plain wasn't interested in the story of this game and as such just gave up about 10 hours into it.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Tried many times to get into this game and just end up losing interest. One day I'll conquer it...maybe.[/QUOTE]

You should try playing it on the PC with mods. It's ridiculous how much love and work the mod community is still putting into this game. Bug fixes, rebalancing, total overhauls, better graphics, new fully voiced companion NPCs with quests, new areas, and complete new episodes that rival the DLC. It's insane! Insanely much fun, that is!

Got a new entry to the list for me. Mirror's Edge.

I tried playing it over the past two days for about five hours total. I stopped after Chapter 3. The wonky combat system, plus dying 25 times on a single part of the level were enough to say fuck this one. I couldn't even count the number of times I would go through a level, do some things, then die and have to redo everything I just did 30-45 seconds ago.

Take that back... you take that back! :)

Mirror's Edge is a thing of beauty. Then again, the whole game is about 6 hours long so if you realistically spent 5 on it and only made it 3 levels in then it clearly was not the game for you. :lol:

At it's core it was a platformer. Running through a level perfecting every jump, slide, takedown, etc. in one flawless run is extremely rewarding. It being in 3D makes it feel more punishing than it really is. I probably died more times in Rayman Origins or Splosion Man, than I ever did in Mirror's Edge.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']GTA4 - Played the intro mission that gave me an achievement I can never remove. Honestly felt Saints Row had better controls and was a lot more fun, never understood how this game got the near perfect scores it got years ago. Oddly enough I love LA Noire and Red Dead Redemption and have played those to the end.[/QUOTE]

That first hour is magical. Also if you play it all the way through there are just some moments that transcend the overall game, like catching a beautiful sunset, seeing Times Square for the first time, getting blind drunk, and narrowly escaping from the cops in a busted up car.

The game had issues for sure but it's those little moments that propelled me through.

That having been said - I hope they ditch the relationships and minigames and instead give me more skins. Hell if i want to dress Niko as a clown the game should let me dammit!

[quote name='Corvin']Take that back... you take that back! :)

Mirror's Edge is a thing of beauty. Then again, the whole game is about 6 hours long so if you realistically spent 5 on it and only made it 3 levels in then it clearly was not the game for you. :lol:

At it's core it was a platformer. Running through a level perfecting every jump, slide, takedown, etc. in one flawless run is extremely rewarding. It being in 3D makes it feel more punishing than it really is. I probably died more times in Rayman Origins or Splosion Man, than I ever did in Mirror's Edge.[/QUOTE]

I just kept dying. Over and over and over and over again, to the point where it was frustrating to play. That, coupled with the fact that when you do die, you're sometimes set 30 seconds back from your previous location, make it tedious at best.

Don't get me wrong, the game looked great, and those times where I was running and it was obvious where my next jump was were fantastic. It's the constant death/restart/wonk combat that completely killed it for me.

[quote name='mtxbass1'] It's the constant death/restart/wonk combat that completely killed it for me.[/QUOTE]

See that's the disconnect between a 2D platforming game and the 3D world of Mirror's Edge. I've probably died 1000x in Rayman but just keep at it. Since Mirror's Edge is 3D the constant restarting feels out of place.

It did take me a while to master dropping off a zip line in the right place. That was the most annoying thing to me.

Maybe Enchanted Arms.

Apparently pretty much any bloody FPS. is on this list for me.
But lets say half life borderlands and bioshock.

I actually really liked Final Fantasy XIII.

[quote name='Corvin']See that's the disconnect between a 2D platforming game and the 3D world of Mirror's Edge. I've probably died 1000x in Rayman but just keep at it. Since Mirror's Edge is 3D the constant restarting feels out of place.

It did take me a while to master dropping off a zip line in the right place. That was the most annoying thing to me.[/QUOTE]

It's just poor game design in general, IMO. In most of the games I work on, we try to keep it so the user never has to go more than 30 seconds back to where they previously were if they die. Anything longer, and you risk alienating your user or pissing them off so they don't want to redo everything they just did. Once you've lost their attention, good luck getting it back.

I'm playing through F.E.A.R. right now, and it's terrible about this. Go forward for 5-8 minutes, killing all kinds of people, die...Have to redo it all again. It's a pain in the ass.

Yeah, I find I don't have much patience for those types of games anymore--be it 3D or 2D.

I just don't like the frustration of the trial and error gameplay, replaying sections over and over until getting past them etc.

Loved them back in the day, but I've got enough stress and frustration in daily life without adding to it from a hobby. If I'm going to make time to play a game I just want to veg out and relax. That's why I like WRPGs so much. Can just wander around exploring and doing quests, drop the difficulty if I hit a hard battle etc.

I just have no interest in playing challenging games these days. I'd rather watch a movie or read a novel than sit down and play some challenging action game or whatever.

For me it would probably be the Saint's Row series. A lot of people love it and suggest that it rivals the GTA series, but I never really got it. I found the game(s) to be repetitive and the combat to be unimpresive. Not even SR3 has much on GTA IV in my opinion.

[quote name='Rodimus']Xenosaga - Started the game up a few times. Just can't do it.[/QUOTE]

This.The first few hours are just a bunch of really boring cut scenes and the battle system was so overly complex and hard to get into it.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I just kept dying. Over and over and over and over again, to the point where it was frustrating to play. That, coupled with the fact that when you do die, you're sometimes set 30 seconds back from your previous location, make it tedious at best.

Don't get me wrong, the game looked great, and those times where I was running and it was obvious where my next jump was were fantastic. It's the constant death/restart/wonk combat that completely killed it for me.[/QUOTE]
I liked the game a lot, but I agree that there were some problems. It was at its best when you could get a good rhythm going; when you knew exactly where you needed to go and the challenge was in the execution. Too often the game would trip you up for no reason, like when the runner's vision would inexplicably fail (got to find the red object...wait, now I have to jump to that blue stairwell?).

[quote name='mtxbass1']
I'm playing through F.E.A.R. right now, and it's terrible about this. Go forward for 5-8 minutes, killing all kinds of people, die...Have to redo it all again. It's a pain in the ass.[/QUOTE]

Aren't you just illustrating my point by citing another 3D game? Look at any Mario game, or the aforementioned Rayman and Splosion Man. The challenge is perfecting the levels and yes, if you die, you go back to the beginning of the area. That's what Mirror's Edge tried to recreate in 3D. Mirror's Edge is a platformer at the core.

It had flaws, but poor game design isn't one of them. The biggest flaw was including guns(or at least allowing Faith to use them). The point of the game is to run, be quick and execute flawless freerunning, and gun play goes against that. Once you can start chaining together a great run you feel like you are actually free running.

My ultimate question is, if Mirror's Edge was a 2D game would people still be complaining about dying? Some, of course, but I think a lot of those complaints would disappear.

I just don't get the 3D angle. I got pretty annoyed with some of the harder levels in New Super Mario Bros, for example, with having to replay sections of levels due to dying repeatedly. Reload, make it a littler further, die again and do it all over again etc.

For me it's not 2D/3D. It's that I don't have patience for games like I did when I was younger and don't game for any challenge or sense of accomplishment, but rather to just veg out and get immersed in a virtual world for a while.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']For me it would probably be the Saint's Row series. A lot of people love it and suggest that it rivals the GTA series, but I never really got it. I found the game(s) to be repetitive and the combat to be unimpresive. Not even SR3 has much on GTA IV in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

saints rows is about fun . period. gta4 started out ok but then the story got to be annoying like all the bullshit you had to put with with because of roman, or those shitty date missions i liked that you had those moments where you could chose to kill or spare someone but beyond that the game was just a chore and i couldnt connect with the main character.

visually sr2 couldnt hold gta4s jock but when it came to mission variation and fun it kicks gta4s ass. im hoping gta5 gets back into what made san andreas fun and they do a complete overhaul on how the characters move and control especially when it comes to shooting and fighting.

bread's done
Back