The '2008 is my year to lose weight!' thread

[quote name='jaykrue']That's just what happens when you build muscle - you need more to burn more calories to maintain your body's current status quo. Keep at it but don't forget that you have to keep your body in a state of 'panic'. If it seems like your gains are getting less & less, your exercise routine might be too comfortable to your muscles so you'll need to change it up every once and a while (about every 5-6 months or so). However, be aware that strength gains will eventually reach diminishing returns due to hitting your theoretical peak (not to mention getting the fcuk old... like me).

Well, it's almost been a week since you made this particular post. How's the shoulder/upper arm?

EDIT: Condolences to the zman about his dog.[/quote]

I think I remembered you guys saying that it will start off slow then hit big time all of a sudden in weight loss. It takes about 2-3 days for the pain to go away..and this was from lifting 30 lbs weight bar laying on my back, doing squats with it and lifting over the shoulder. I did a 50 pounder and I could only do 5 reps before I felt too much pain. I was doing it in slow reps.

Kinda worried that I might fuck up my left shoulder big time if I am not too careful.

and Zeman...sorry to hear about your dog.. I know the pain.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I think I remembered you guys saying that it will start off slow then hit big time all of a sudden in weight loss. It takes about 2-3 days for the pain to go away..and this was from lifting 30 lbs weight bar laying on my back, doing squats with it and lifting over the shoulder. I did a 50 pounder and I could only do 5 reps before I felt too much pain. I was doing it in slow reps.

Kinda worried that I might fuck up my left shoulder big time if I am not too careful.

and Zeman...sorry to hear about your dog.. I know the pain.[/quote]

I forgot, how old are you? 2-3 days is about how long it takes for me to recover from pain now* (I'm 31) so it sounds about right if you're in your early 30s. I say keep working out except any routines that particularly stress your shoulder for the next week and see if it's still messed up. On Nov. 30th, if it's still feels fcuked, get that shit checked out.

*though I suspect it's because I've been busy w/ work and neglecting my workouts :cry:

[quote name='jaykrue']I forgot, how old are you? 2-3 days is about how long it takes for me to recover from pain now* (I'm 31) so it sounds about right if you're in your early 30s. I say keep working out except any routines that particularly stress your shoulder for the next week and see if it's still messed up. On Nov. 30th, if it's still feels fcuked, get that shit checked out.

*though I suspect it's because I've been busy w/ work and neglecting my workouts :cry:[/quote]

I am 31 years old (turned 31 in October).
I am going to give it another shot since I haven't worked out all week.
I don't want to lose too much weight and not gain any muscle :(

I just started working out again. Treadmill and some free weights mostly at home. Sorry if topic is covered some where in the thread.

But The problem I'm having is my shirt gets crazy sweaty to the point it sticks to me and bothers me. Most of my sweat seems to come from my forhead not so much my chest. What is the best work out shirt to help with this problem? And where can I find it for a decent price?

I really don't want to wear a head band and using a towel messes up my breathing and doesn't really help.

[quote name='specialk']What kind of weight workout are you doing itdefx?[/quote]

I am using this
rtb.jpg

1-I do 50 pounds reps with my leg to start. Started with 50 reps, then just moved on to doing whatever reps I can get out of in 2 mins.

2-In that same set up, I do pull to my chest sitting up. Started with 50 reps, then just moved on to whatever reps I cang et out of in 2 mins..usually about 150-200 reps.

3-4.On my back I do about 50 lbs on one arm and do about 30 reps, then switch sides. Sitting up I do the same, pulling on one arm, then switching arms.

5. On my back I do about 25-30 reps on a 30lbs.

Standing up I do about 25 center to neck. Then I do about 25 raise over the head. Moving over to 25 squats with that bar behind my neck. Finally I do bending over 25 reps from the ground to my chest.

After that I do my exercise ball.

I did a 50 pounder bar lift but that hurt like hell and could only reach 5 reps before stopping.

Sorry I don't know the terms so bare with me.

Just a thought... I was thinking about buying boxing gloves and a punching bag. Will that help burn the belly fat a faster? I know that will help develop my arms but I know people who sweat like crazy from doing this stuff.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Just a thought... I was thinking about buying boxing gloves and a punching bag. Will that help burn the belly fat a faster? I know that will help develop my arms but I know people who sweat like crazy from doing this stuff.[/quote]

Boxing is a killer cardio workout. I would say go for it, but don't expect much in the way of muscle mass. It will tone very well though.

It is DONE... 3:42:06 a hair under 8:30 per mile pace for 26.2 miles... horrid conditions very very humid until the rain finally came... temps in the low 70's

Ran my first half in about 1:41... so it took over 2 hours for the second half... but a set of ailments did me in... first I walk through the mile 15 water station... I go to run, my knee starts cracking and popping... had to walk a little bit to work that out... I get that fixed then the killer cramps start in on my calves and my thighs... it was hell... then the thunderstorm...

Finished 17th overall, lost a few spots from the first half, but passed more guys than I thought as well... 2nd place in age group a nice finishing medal which Im giving to my mom and a little plaque to go up on my wall... was aiming for 3:30 but in the conditions Im happy to finish at a decent pace, especially with other struggling just AS MUCH or MORE

Funny scene was watching EVERYONE who went to get their plaques limp of and get them, everyone was beat

Whats crazy is reading the discussion about the marathon on the various running boards, those who had ran marathons before all agreed that the conditions were HORRIBLE... I saw a few guys really cramping up that were running the half (at that time I felt fine) Id run past them and offer support... and even in the condition I was in, I still passed a few guys over the past 6 miles... nobody that had a goal time even came close to hitting it... very very lonely on that course as well

BTW... I feel DEAD today... my entire body is sore, legs worst of all... tylenol isnt working

I think I'm going to get the Garmin 305 for Christmas. I was torn between the 205 and 305, but I read about heart rate training and may start doing some. It was only 20 more than the 205 and all the Heart Rate monitors I found were more than that so being cheap I figured I would have the HR monitor if I wanted it.

zman, still loving yours?

I need some help finding a gym.

Although the basic weight machine and the fitness videos I can get from netflix are great... my stomach area is still not going down. :( I need better machines but don't have the money (a few hundred bucks) nor the space to store them.

I am not going to gold's gym. To over priced and way to many meat heads that intimidate the fuck out of me.

I just want a small gym, where I can go in, do my thing for an hour or 2 then go home and not have anyone stare... I really can't focus when someone is around me while I work out.

So how do I find a gym in my area that is small? is there a web site for this stuff?

[quote name='ITDEFX']I need some help finding a gym.

Although the basic weight machine and the fitness videos I can get from netflix are great... my stomach area is still not going down. :( I need better machines but don't have the money (a few hundred bucks) nor the space to store them.

I am not going to gold's gym. To over priced and way to many meat heads that intimidate the fuck out of me.

I just want a small gym, where I can go in, do my thing for an hour or 2 then go home and not have anyone stare... I really can't focus when someone is around me while I work out.

So how do I find a gym in my area that is small? is there a web site for this stuff?[/quote]

Find a local YMCA. The one I go to has a very well-equipped free weight room as well as a fitness center with Nautilus machines. Plus, membership there is very inexpensive. However, don't neglect a larger gym chain like Gold's. Some of those meat-heads will be jackasses and stare at you, but that is because they are insecure about the size of their nuts. But I have known a lot of guys who would typically be considered a "meat-head" who really try and help you out and give you some tips on how to better improve yourself. Hope this helps

[quote name='specialk']I think I'm going to get the Garmin 305 for Christmas. I was torn between the 205 and 305, but I read about heart rate training and may start doing some. It was only 20 more than the 205 and all the Heart Rate monitors I found were more than that so being cheap I figured I would have the HR monitor if I wanted it.

zman, still loving yours?[/QUOTE]

Loved it, although it was about .1 of a mile off for the marathon, which threw me off a little... we will see how it fares this week for a much more manageable 13.1 miles... didnt race this week, but looked like none of the Mobile runners who made the 26.2 the week before did either...

BTW, I picked mine up from Amazon, who had one of the best prices on it, there were a couple that were about $5 cheaper at the time, but I had a $20 game in my amazon cart, wanted free shipping, and trust Amazon's service.

Need to find me a 26.2 magnet for my car now

Well so far 2008 has definitely been the year I've lost weight and I hope to keep it that way. At the beginning of the year I was over 220 pounds and I've slimmed down to about 160 (give or take, haven't checked the scale much lately). I've posted some photos in my album but sometimes pictures can be inaccurate so it's hard to tell. I was at my heaviest during the summer of '07.

2009 is the year I plan to gain weight. I'm going to sign up for a membership at the gym and put on a bit of muscle. I'm around 5'11 to 6'0 so I was wondering how I'd look if I built myself to around 180 to 190 and then shred all the extra fat (until I get to around 6-8% body fat). I guess only time will tell so I'll do what I can and see what I gotta do next. Good luck to all of you and hope you achieve your goals pretty soon :)!

ITDEFX, check out http://www.planetfitness.com/ and see if there's one near you. That's the one I'm signing up for. I know there's a promotion in my area where you can get a membership for $10 a month and there's one for $20 a month if you want to be able to go to any Planet Fitness gym. I'm going for the $10 plan.

[quote name='AndrewCP']

ITDEFX, check out http://www.planetfitness.com/ and see if there's one near you. That's the one I'm signing up for. I know there's a promotion in my area where you can get a membership for $10 a month and there's one for $20 a month if you want to be able to go to any Planet Fitness gym. I'm going for the $10 plan.[/quote]

Ok, the nearest one is in Falls Church, which is 30 mins away... That's somewhat a problem during the week since I get out at 3:30 M, Tr, F but T and W forget it as I don't get out til 6pm. Traffic bah.
Anyways I could go on the weekends.

I don't like this locked down 1 year membership. If I can find something closer, I don't want to be charged to get out.

Nice plug for Planet Fitness... which is my gym... we have 4 in the general area... although I rotate between two of them... its a good gym... I have the black membership, lots of extra goodies made the $20 a month with no start up fee worth it for me

Unfortunately my jogging buddy (the really hot one) due to financial hardships, and still being under contract to another gym had to cancel her PF contract... sucks... she has asked me to join there, monthly fee is the same, but its a 2 year contract... there is still some eye candy at the gym, but none like her... She did do her first 5k race last weekend and enjoyed it enough to where I will be running some races with her in the future

[quote name='ITDEFX']I need some help finding a gym.

So how do I find a gym in my area that is small? is there a web site for this stuff?[/QUOTE]

I go to this place called Snap Fitness. It's a bit pricey @ $34.99 but it's well worth it since I use it about 4 times a week. Plus, it's a small gym, it's quiet without any loud music, and not crowded at any time of day. Not to mention, it's 24/7. I live across the street from one and when I was back home in California for vacation, there was another one about 15 minutes away. So, there should be one in your neck of the woods.

I guess I am going to have to use verizon yellow pages to find a small gym in my area. Some of these places are either not in my state or some what far and out of the way making it difficult to go there when I want to without being stuck in traffic.

Woot. Finally hit my goal of 240 today. It was definitely nice to see the scale balance out there. I sprained my back yesterday though so I really wasn't able to do anything today. :(
The next goal is 220. No drinking for the next month should definitely help.
Keep up the good work everyone.

So I got my 305 in the mail 2 days ago...haven't opened it yet b/c it's a Christmas present. Got it for 160 shipped. And now I see on SlickDeals that the 301 is $80 shipped. :whistle2:/

I was doing halfway decent on my weight loss or at least making good steps towards it but I tore a muscle in my back a week ago and have been on bed rest since. The doctor told me to wait 2 or 3 weeks before I got back on my exercise bike or went walking at the trail I usually walk, and to wait several more weeks to jog. However she made no mention of lifting weights nor did she give me any advice other then a pamphlet with suggestions on stretches that could help.

I figured I would ask here in hopes that one of you is a physical trainer or doctor and could answer this. What are some good exercises that I can do in the mean time? How long should I wait before I start lifting weights again and what weight should I start on? How long before I can start jogging an up hill downhill trail again?

This is just amazingly frustrating to finally get the motivation to get going....and then bam my back stops me.

unless you're lifting some little 5 lb dumbells i wouldnt recommend doing anything. Back muscles will more than likely be used as stabilizers or helping muscles when doing just about any sort of weight lifting. Just wait until your back is better. There's no point in rushing things and setting yourself back even further. While you're stuck in bed just try to eat healthier.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I was doing halfway decent on my weight loss or at least making good steps towards it but I tore a muscle in my back a week ago and have been on bed rest since. The doctor told me to wait 2 or 3 weeks before I got back on my exercise bike or went walking at the trail I usually walk, and to wait several more weeks to jog. However she made no mention of lifting weights nor did she give me any advice other then a pamphlet with suggestions on stretches that could help.

I figured I would ask here in hopes that one of you is a physical trainer or doctor and could answer this. What are some good exercises that I can do in the mean time? How long should I wait before I start lifting weights again and what weight should I start on? How long before I can start jogging an up hill downhill trail again?

This is just amazingly frustrating to finally get the motivation to get going....and then bam my back stops me.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Cracka']unless you're lifting some little 5 lb dumbells i wouldnt recommend doing anything. Back muscles will more than likely be used as stabilizers or helping muscles when doing just about any sort of weight lifting. Just wait until your back is better. There's no point in rushing things and setting yourself back even further. While you're stuck in bed just try to eat healthier.[/QUOTE]

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211858

wow... we need a 2009 thread for this...

I fond it funny how for the first couple weeks, the gym was a madhouse with all the resolution exercisers... but that crowd has certainly thinned out quickly... right now Im still working out, just not as religiously as I was, havent ran a 5k since the one I did before christmas with my brother... just keeping in shape, need to get back into my strict eating habits while Im at work, mainly needing more to eat more frequently

I see... wasnt labeled, so I didnt know... I dont live in these forums like some people do ;)

Someone needs to close this one down

bread's done
Back