The 2012/2013 NBA Season Thread

Why did the bucks just sign zaza pachulia? We have larry sanders, Udoh, and Ayon at center. We also have Ilyasova, Henson, and Gooden too. We really dont need another mediocre big man. I would rather the bucks signed Byron Mullens, at least he is still young and can turn into a quality player. We arent trying to win now, not with all these young guys.

I would really like if the bucks sign corey brewer for our SF spot.... and/or Psycho T if you wanted another big man. but Zaza? What a waste of cap space.

The funniest thing I've read all day is that Kobe unfollowed Howard on Twitter when he announced he was going to Houston. Pau Gasol also unfollowed him, but changed his mind 20 minutes later.

asik will have no problems finding another team. maybe the spurs can trade for him, and dump tiago splitters . LOL
too late spurs inexplicably signed him to 4 years and somehow didnt even ponder that supposed trade for Gortat.

Del Negro did get crushed. People spent all season shitting on his ability and the second they were sputtering after the 17 game win streak they was talk of firing him.

Avery Bradley is a player and not currently a coach. Avery Johnson is a good example, because his teams did very well in Dallas, but he was not up to the task of being a good coach. The NBA rigged the 06 finals, but Avery sure shit the bed when things started going downhill. His biggest failure was getting Cubes to fire the sports psychologist he had on staff.

George Karl hasn't gotten out of the first round more than once in a decade.

Just because McHale hasn't had a chance in Houston doesn't mean that he is somehow going to be some uber success. Do I think he is smart and has a good basketball mind? Yes, but that doesn't make him a good coach. The coaches listed above all were great in the regular season, but all have far more bitter failures than success in the playoffs. All should have done more with the teams that they led than they did.

Im glad you seem to be one of few people that realized this. All you see is people shocked that he was let go never mind the fact that he constantly refuses to utilize the talent he has. Not to mention having high seeds but nothing coming out of it, also getting completely out coached by Mark Jackson.

Last edited by a moderator:
George Karl was coaching some bad Denver teams that barely made the playoffs as the 7th or 8th seed.  The only time his team had homecourt and lost was in 2010 when they were the 4th seed losing to the 5th and in 2013.  Sure he got outcoached in 2013 but most of the time he lost to the better team.

Del Negro did get crushed. People spent all season shitting on his ability and the second they were sputtering after the 17 game win streak they was talk of firing him.

Avery Bradley is a player and not currently a coach. Avery Johnson is a good example, because his teams did very well in Dallas, but he was not up to the task of being a good coach. The NBA rigged the 06 finals, but Avery sure shit the bed when things started going downhill. His biggest failure was getting Cubes to fire the sports psychologist he had on staff.

George Karl hasn't gotten out of the first round more than once in a decade.

Just because McHale hasn't had a chance in Houston doesn't mean that he is somehow going to be some uber success. Do I think he is smart and has a good basketball mind? Yes, but that doesn't make him a good coach. The coaches listed above all were great in the regular season, but all have far more bitter failures than success in the playoffs. All should have done more with the teams that they led than they did.
Why are you even comparing McHale to Avery JOHNSON and Del Negro in the first place? Del Negro and Johnson have been head coaches much longer than McHale, so you're just jumping to conclusions and comparing they're bodies of work to someone who doesn't have nearly as much to go on. What about McHale makes him anything like Johnson or Del Negro? Shit McHale has more in common with Phil Jackson, so in the same vain as you, do I just start making wild comparisons?

And you're once again putting words in my mouth. Uber success? I said he's been successful, and that success has increased each season. That's nothing but a fact. It only goes to show how pointless your earlier comparisons are when you bring up the playoffs. McHale has been to the playoffs a grand total of once. And using your own words, so far he actually has done more than expected with the teams he has led.

Free Agency Update:

Nets agree to 1-year, vet. minimum deal with Shaun Livingston

Mavs have picked up Devin Harris in a 3-year, $9 million contract.

Darren Collison to the Clippers for a 2-year stint.

Oh and summer league started today.

hoawrd2.jpg

"One point I heard on the radio really struck home with me, is this. Dwight wants to be with players his age, he wants to hang out and play video games. This is another reason he turned down LA Lakers, because he felt isolated. Everyone is married and has kids and don't really hit up the scene and they don't play video games. I think the same is true for Dallas. He chose Houston for the camaraderie, and yes, because Houston is a bit further along that Dallas is."

Why are you even comparing McHale to Avery JOHNSON and Del Negro in the first place? Del Negro and Johnson have been head coaches much longer than McHale, so you're just jumping to conclusions and comparing they're bodies of work to someone who doesn't have nearly as much to go on. What about McHale makes him anything like Johnson or Del Negro? Shit McHale has more in common with Phil Jackson, so in the same vain as you, do I just start making wild comparisons?

And you're once again putting words in my mouth. Uber success? I said he's been successful, and that success has increased each season. That's nothing but a fact. It only goes to show how pointless your earlier comparisons are when you bring up the playoffs. McHale has been to the playoffs a grand total of once. And using your own words, so far he actually has done more than expected with the teams he has led.

Free Agency Update:

Nets agree to 1-year, vet. minimum deal with Shaun Livingston

Mavs have picked up Devin Harris in a 3-year, $9 million contract.

Darren Collison to the Clippers for a 2-year stint.

Oh and summer league started today.
lol, didn't the mavs traded devin harris to the nets 4-6 years ago? kinda weird getting another backup pg, when they draft shane larkins. I guess mavs wanted insurance, incase shane does not pan out.

that is probably his celling, i do not see much improvement
A decently mobile big on D with good touch around the rim on O is solidly above average, and Splitter's on ball defense is also very solid. He suffers from Manu syndrome, in that he's underrated because he doesn't play a huge amount of minutes. His career per 36 numbers are 15.5, 9.5, 1.1 steals and 1.2 blocks, with only 2.0 turnovers and a FG% of .572. His PER is 18.7 and his WS/48 (which better factors in defense than PER, an average player rates at .100) is .188. For reference, here's a pretty awesome player in the same ballpark with those numbers, whether it's by per-36 minute averages or by PER and WS/48:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gasolpa01.html

lol, didn't the mavs traded devin harris to the nets 4-6 years ago? kinda weird getting another backup pg, when they draft shane larkins. I guess mavs wanted insurance, incase shane does not pan out.

He was traded for J-Kidd.

Harris is mainly going to play SG.

The funniest thing I've read all day is that Kobe unfollowed Howard on Twitter when he announced he was going to Houston. Pau Gasol also unfollowed him, but changed his mind 20 minutes later.
Well, that's Pau for you. He'll act like he's going to stand up to another big man, but he caves pretty quickly.

J.J. Hickson to the Nuggets in a 3-year, $15 million deal.

And Marreese Speights has signed with the Warriors for 3 years.

EDIT: Lakers will amnesty Metta World Peace.

The Cavs have made a 2-year, $24 million offer to Andrew Bynum. And rumor is they don't want to wait on an answer either.

The Jazz will trade Randy Foye to the Nuggets on a three-year, $9 million contract.

Jermaine O'Neal and Tony Douglas have both signed 1-year deals with the Warriors.

And in new NBA assistant coaching news....

Rasheed Wallace is now the assistant coach of the Pistons, while Brian Scalabrine has been named the assistant coach of the Warriors.

Jermaine O'Neal and Tony Douglas have both signed 1-year deals with the Warriors.

And in new NBA assistant coaching news....

Rasheed Wallace is now the assistant coach of the Pistons, while Brian Scalabrine has been named the assistant coach of the Warriors.
The Rasheed hire will hopefully pay big dividends with Monroe and Drummond's development

Anthony Morrow to the Pelicans for 2 years.

Birdman re-signs with the Heat for a year.

Tyler Hansbrough agrees to terms with the Raptors for a 2-year deal.

And the Lakers have decided to bring back Jordan Farmar for a year and pay him the vet minimum.

Sweet! Three point guards on the roster, none of whom can play a lick of defense!
I think Chris Kaman might actually be the biggest name the Lakers sign this off season. They re-signed Robert Sacre today, but that's not saying much.

But it looks like Andrew Bynum has decided on Cleveland. And the Bulls have waived Rip Hamilton.

I think Chris Kaman might actually be the biggest name the Lakers sign this off season. They re-signed Robert Sacre today, but that's not saying much.

But it looks like Andrew Bynum has decided on Cleveland. And the Bulls have waived Rip Hamilton.
That's until they get Sacha Vujacic :lol: , who people say the Lakers are talking to. I fully support the Lakers purposefully sucking as much as possible next season.

The Andrew Bynum contract is pretty good for Cleveland. $6 million guaranteed with a lot of bonuses based on health/performance and the second year is a team option, so they can pull the plug if he doesn't do anything.

Sweet! Three point guards on the roster, none of whom can play a lick of defense!
Kupchak already warming up that 2013 season tank. I can't blame him for that, Wiggins, Parker or someone else high on the 2014 draft is worth tanking 1 season. Also probably the reason they hired D'antoni over Phil, as D'antoni is perfect coach for tanking while Phil is not lol.

Everyone getting new players spurs keeping the same old shitty 3. Another failed finals go spurs! ugh
You gotta believe! :) Unless Dwight plays like '09 Dwight, I think it will be either OKC or Spurs that will come out of the west.

Kupchak already warming up that 2013 season tank. I can't blame him for that, Wiggins, Parker or someone else high on the 2014 draft is worth tanking 1 season. Also probably the reason they hired D'antoni over Phil, as D'antoni is perfect coach for tanking while Phil is not lol.

You gotta believe! :) Unless Dwight plays like '09 Dwight, I think it will be either OKC or Spurs that will come out of the west.
I don't think I can watch another spurs game until they're holding a trophy. Last year lost 4 straight to OKC this year choked away two games straight. I hate sports now I got shitty romo and the cowboys to look forward to this year

Chauncey Billups is returning to Detroit for 2 years and probably to end his career there.

And Jeff Teague has signed a 4-year, $32 million offer sheet from the Bucks. There had been talks of Atlanta and Milwaukee trading PGs but now it looks like the Bucks might just let Brandon Jennings walk.

I don't think I can watch another spurs game until they're holding a trophy. Last year lost 4 straight to OKC this year choked away two games straight. I hate sports now I got shitty romo and the cowboys to look forward to this year
cowboys will never win a superbowl with romo as their quarterback. The guy chokes during every playoff game , they have been. Jerry jones should consider drafting a quarterback in the next 2-4 years, if romo still cannot win them a superbowl. THe spurs are done, they will never make it back to the finals next year. If they are lucky they might make it to the western conference finals, depending on the matchups during next years playoff run.

cowboys will never win a superbowl with romo as their quarterback. The guy chokes during every playoff game , they have been. Jerry jones should consider drafting a quarterback in the next 2-4 years, if romo still cannot win them a superbowl. THe spurs are done, they will never make it back to the finals next year. If they are lucky they might make it to the western conference finals, depending on the matchups during next years playoff run.
Romo is a great QB in regular season but sucks shit in the playoffs

THe spurs are done, they will never make it back to the finals next year. If they are lucky they might make it to the western conference finals, depending on the matchups during next years playoff run.
As long as they still have coach Pop and none of their old guys get hurt, I can see the Spurs returning to the Finals. I didn't even expect them to make it this year. But I don't see them winning another championship. In re-signing Ginobli and Splitter this off season, all they've done is kept the same team together. This being the exact same team that couldn't get it done last season. San Antonio just seems satisfied in staying stagnant until Tim Duncan is gone.

And Nick Young is signing with the Lakers.

As long as they still have coach Pop and none of their old guys get hurt, I can see the Spurs returning to the Finals. I didn't even expect them to make it this year. But I don't see them winning another championship. In re-signing Ginobli and Splitter this off season, all they've done is kept the same team together. This being the exact same team that couldn't get it done last season. San Antonio just seems satisfied in staying stagnant until Tim Duncan is gone.

And Nick Young is signing with the Lakers.
They were a couples of bad plays in game 6 from winning the title. They just need their young players such as Kawhi Leonard, Danny Green and Cory Joseph to get better.

Don't think they had much of a choice as far as sucking goes. :razz:
they should cut their losses, and amnesty kobe bryant. Basically, conduct an overhaul of the entire roster by gutting it. Trade pau gasol, nash( if he is tradedable, once he gets healthy enough for some value)next season. THe lakers are not going to compete for championship in the next 2-4 years. Even if one those free agents like leborn, and carmelo, or even dwayne wade( with his declining knees).

They were a couples of bad plays in game 6 from winning the title. They just need their young players such as Kawhi Leonard, Danny Green and Cory Joseph to get better.
what they need is to draft a big man similar to tim duncan type of offensensive/ defensive abilities. Tiago splitter is not going to do it, and get some players who can create their own shots. Not just one trick ponies guards like danny green, that can only catch,and shoot.

It doesn't change the fact that they lost. They had a chance at redemption in game 7 and still couldn't get it done. IMO out of those 3 guys, only Kawhi Leonard will show any substantial improvement in the future. Danny Green set the record for most 3-pointers in a Finals series, how can you expect him to get much better than that?

And the Lakers made it official and used the amnesty on Metta. Rumor is that the Knicks are interested in picking him up now.

what they need is to draft a big man similar to tim duncan type of offensensive/ defensive abilities. Tiago splitter is not going to do it, and get some players who can create their own shots. Not just one trick ponies guards like danny green, that can only catch,and shoot.

Non lottery draft picks = role players. Many analysts would say the Spurs are the best team in the league at navigating the draft. Also, Duncan is a once in a lifetime player. Good luck drafting the next greatest PF of all time.

Splitter PER is better than most C. He's more than serviceable.

The Spurs will continue to compete and win because of coaching, team chemistry and players who understand their roles.

And the Lakers made it official and used the amnesty on Metta. Rumor is that the Knicks are interested in picking him up now.
He had stated that he wants to go to the Knicks, but he has to get past the waiver claim period before he becomes a UFA. Teams like Cleveland, N.O., Dallas or Orlando could possilby have interest in him. Of course he put out the "I might retire" message to try to keep teams under the cap from claiming him. Billups did the same thing a few years ago and the Clips called his bluff. I hope the same thing happens to Metta.

He had stated that he wants to go to the Knicks, but he has to get past the waiver claim period before he becomes a UFA. Teams like Cleveland, N.O., Dallas or Orlando could possilby have interest in him. Of course he put out the "I might retire" message to try to keep teams under the cap from claiming him. Billups did the same thing a few years ago and the Clips called his bluff. I hope the same thing happens to Metta.
Well teams have got between 5 PM today and 5 PM Sunday to start bidding on him, so we'll see.

And it looks like the Mavs have won the Monta Ellis sweepstakes. Seems to be a 3-year, $30 million deal.

The Mavs deal with Devin Harris has been scrapped because of a toe injury Harris has that will require surgery. And then Mavs rookie Shane Larkin broke his ankle during summer league practice today and will be out 2-3 months.

The Ellis deal makes much more sense with that occurring, Here is to hoping that pairing him with efficient guards/forwards and Carlisle will make him an efficient scorer. Vinsanity did it.

Hoping for a Samuel Dalembert signing...the two sides have been talking for some time now. If we fail to land him, that would complete a strike out for starting centers (Dwight, Bynum & Dalembert) so we'd have to roll the dice on a Greg Oden type guy.

76ers are gonna interview Celtics assistant coach Jay Larranaga for their head coaching position. That's what being an assistant in Boston gets you apparently. Even after just 1 season.

As far as Metta goes, he's saying he has no plans to play in the NBA. Going to China is his #1 priority and then coaching or arena football after that lol gotta love MWPs comments. They never get old. He's too sexy for his cat.

Well teams have got between 5 PM today and 5 PM Sunday to start bidding on him, so we'll see.

And it looks like the Mavs have won the Monta Ellis sweepstakes. Seems to be a 3-year, $30 million deal.
Which I find hilarious because the Bucks offered him 3 years 36 million and he turned it down expecting more money/same money elsewhere.

So we have the pacers, heat, and bulls leading the east with the nets paying 185 million in salary and luxury tax to be a #4 seed. That must suck.

bread's done
Back