The 2012/2013 NBA Season Thread

Greg Oden press conference "I have decided...... to take my injuries to south beach for the upcoming season!".
He figured if he can average 5/10/3 on >15 minutes a game he'd be down for the three-peat. Not to mention this protects them from teams that tend to attempt to rough them up like the Bulls, Pacers, Grizzlies, Nets, Etc.

He figured if he can average 5/10/3 on >15 minutes a game he'd be down for the three-peat. Not to mention this protects them from teams that tend to attempt to rough them up like the Bulls, Pacers, Grizzlies, Nets, Etc.
How does one of the most injury prone players in the league protect the Heat from teams that rough them up? And if you think he's playing more than 15 minutes a game or putting up those kind of stats, than put the Kool-Aid down now. Even at his best, Oden has never averaged much more than 20 minutes a game. He clearly couldn't even handle that much playing time as he got hurt over and over again.

Last edited by a moderator:
No love for Brandon Jennings first game in milwaukee as a piston? But NBATV will cover OJ Mayos first game back in Dallas. :/

LMAO, Bucks get one game on ESPN, but its their last game. So it wont mean anything. Good choice NBA! Cant wait to see a bunch of scrubs start because their season was over weeks, if not months ago!

How does one of the most injury prone players in the league protect the Heat from teams that rough them up? And if you think he's playing more than 15 minutes a game or putting up those kind of stats, than put the Kool-Aid down now. Even at his best, Oden has never averaged much more than 20 minutes a game. He clearly couldn't even handle that much playing time as he got hurt over and over again.
I said less than 15 minutes a game first off and that's all they need from him. I've heard the injury argument from everyone and their grandmother but if he even gives them 20% of the production he did in college, he will be able to protect us against teams with BIG MEN ala those I mentioned previously. Don't be in that giant category that assumes just because a player has been injured in the past he can't produce. Otherwise he wouldn't have idk six teams going after him include the two that were in the finals last year. He doesn't need to play more than 15 minutes a game for a three-peat. Also expecting 10 rebounds and 3 blocks in 15 minutes is obviously optimistic except he's fucking seven feet tall. Maybe you should put the kool-aid down, he wouldn't have gotten signed if he wasn't able to produce.

I said less than 15 minutes a game first off and that's all they need from him. I've heard the injury argument from everyone and their grandmother but if he even gives them 20% of the production he did in college, he will be able to protect us against teams with BIG MEN ala those I mentioned previously. Don't be in that giant category that assumes just because a player has been injured in the past he can't produce. Otherwise he wouldn't have idk six teams going after him include the two that were in the finals last year. He doesn't need to play more than 15 minutes a game for a three-peat. Also expecting 10 rebounds and 3 blocks in 15 minutes is obviously optimistic except he's fucking seven feet tall. Maybe you should put the kool-aid down, he wouldn't have gotten signed if he wasn't able to produce.
You wrote ">15 minutes". Which means greater than 15 minutes. If you said less than, it would've looked like this "<15 minutes". So there's that. And newsflash, Greg Oden got out of college six years ago. For you to expect any kind of production out of him based on his college career is laughable. Especially when he's been in the NBA already. This isn't just a player who's been hurt, this is a player who's gone down multiple times and hasn't even played a game since the 2009-10 season. No, 10 rebounds and 3 blocks in 15 minutes isn't just optimistic, it's delusional. Even with more playing time, Oden NEVER averaged 10 rebounds or 3 blocks in a season with Portland. So now he's going to somehow increase his stats, with less playing time, after coming off an injury and not having played in the NBA for years? You're funny.

Definitely can't expect anything from Oden. But can't write him off either.

Look at Grant Hill.  Barely played over what, five years?  Finally got the surgery right and went on and had a very solid career--not super star level like prior to the injury, but was solid player.

You wrote ">15 minutes". Which means greater than 15 minutes. If you said less than, it would've looked like this "<15 minutes". So there's that. And newsflash, Greg Oden got out of college six years ago. For you to expect any kind of production out of him based on his college career is laughable. Especially when he's been in the NBA already. This isn't just a player who's been hurt, this is a player who's gone down multiple times and hasn't even played a game since the 2009-10 season. No, 10 rebounds and 3 blocks in 15 minutes isn't just optimistic, it's delusional. Even with more playing time, Oden NEVER averaged 10 rebounds or 3 blocks in a season with Portland. So now he's going to somehow increase his stats, with less playing time, after coming off an injury and not having played in the NBA for years? You're funny.
I'll be back around Christmas to say I told you so. Oh and sorry I pushed one wrong button obviously I meant less than 15 minutes. Use some context clues, and stop acting like just because someone has a different opinion then you that they are "delusional" Last time he played in the 09-10 season he average 8.5 rbds and 2.3 blcks on 23.9 mins. So yes calling 10/3 on 15 is optimistic, if I said <20 (Note that I used the correct sign so leave your grammar swastika at home) that is quite plausible. Also you fail to factor in that Oden will have WAY LESS responsibilities scoring than he did in Portland where he was the 2nd or 3rd offensive option as opposed to Miami where he will be maybe the 7th scoring option. They literally only need him to block and rebound. But in any sense I appreciate you acting like you have some sort of larger wealth of knowledge then anyone here because you are on a gaming website. Just because you pick the popular opinion doesn't mean you can plug your fingers in your ears like a child and go 'NO NO NO IT'S NEVER GONNA HAPPEN' Just makes you look stupid.

I'll be back around Christmas to say I told you so. Oh and sorry I pushed one wrong button obviously I meant less than 15 minutes. Use some context clues, and stop acting like just because someone has a different opinion then you that they are "delusional" Last time he played in the 09-10 season he average 8.5 rbds and 2.3 blcks on 23.9 mins. So yes calling 10/3 on 15 is optimistic, if I said <20 (Note that I used the correct sign so leave your grammar swastika at home) that is quite plausible. Also you fail to factor in that Oden will have WAY LESS responsibilities scoring than he did in Portland where he was the 2nd or 3rd offensive option as opposed to Miami where he will be maybe the 7th scoring option. They literally only need him to block and rebound. But in any sense I appreciate you acting like you have some sort of larger wealth of knowledge then anyone here because you are on a gaming website. Just because you pick the popular opinion doesn't mean you can plug your fingers in your ears like a child and go 'NO NO NO IT'S NEVER GONNA HAPPEN' Just makes you look stupid.
Yeah you do that, didn't know the NBA Finals were in Christmas this year. Context clues are meaningless when the context you gave in the first place was wrong. (I love how I'm a grammar Nazi because you mistyped something, told me I was wrong, and then defended said mistyping. Nice try though.) I called you delusional because I'm presenting you with facts and yet you're still claiming Oden can average higher stats than he ever has in less playing time. Oh and NOW it's optimism? Funny, you're last post claimed those numbers would be optimistic "except he's fucking seven feet tall." And while putting up those stats at <20 minutes is more plausible, it would still require him to put up greater numbers with less time. I don't need to act like I have a larger wealth of knowledge, at least in basketball, because I pretty much do. At least more than you. The fact that you think Oden was the 2nd or 3rd scoring option while in Portland only goes to prove that. Oden was at best a 4th scoring option behind Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldrige, and Andre Miller. You could even argue he was 5th behind Batum. I'm not picking the popular opinion, I'm picking the logical one. It's really ironic how you accuse me of being childish and plugging my ears when I've done pretty much nothing but present you with facts while you vehemently claim the contrary.

Here's an idea, rather than being optimistic about what kind of stats Oden will put up, why not be optimistic about his health?

Yeah you do that, didn't know the NBA Finals were in Christmas this year. Context clues are meaningless when the context you gave in the first place was wrong. (I love how I'm a grammar Nazi because you mistyped something, told me I was wrong, and then defended said mistyping. Nice try though.) I called you delusional because I'm presenting you with facts and yet you're still claiming Oden can average higher stats than he ever has in less playing time. Oh and NOW it's optimism? Funny, you're last post claimed those numbers would be optimistic "except he's fucking seven feet tall." And while putting up those stats at <20 minutes is more plausible, it would still require him to put up greater numbers with less time. I don't need to act like I have a larger wealth of knowledge, at least in basketball, because I pretty much do. At least more than you. The fact that you think Oden was the 2nd or 3rd scoring option while in Portland only goes to prove that. Oden was at best a 4th scoring option behind Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldrige, and Andre Miller. You could even argue he was 5th behind Batum. I'm not picking the popular opinion, I'm picking the logical one. It's really ironic how you accuse me of being childish and plugging my ears when I've done pretty much nothing but present you with facts while you vehemently claim the contrary.

Here's an idea, rather than being optimistic about what kind of stats Oden will put up, why not be optimistic about his health?
Lol I'd love to spend an hour writing a reply to this like you did, but I don't need to. Obviously you're just a wannabe NBA snoob, piggy backing over the "popular opinion" to justifying your claims & attacking people that disagree with you. I can only hope you somehow find a life (while you spend the rest of your time nitpicking every little thing that may or may not be correct) And putting Oden behind Batum and Miller is purely your opinion I would have put him 3rd. Obviously I don't care about his stats I care about his health what are you retarded? And I said December because that's when I assume he'll be playing a regular amount of time, but I love that you act like a sarcastic fifteen year old. The only facts you've presented is that you're too stupid to be on a real NBA site so you decide that you can be de fuhrer on CAG. And what fact are you presenting other than the fact that he's been injuried? Something I'm pretty sure people on Mars know. Of course you aren't being childish, yet respond with ignorance of another opinion and what can only be consider an insurmountable sarcasm that I'm sure you don't use in your everyday life. Enjoy being an internet gangster, I will not be replying because I don't need to justify myself to some idiot who thinks reporting yesterdays news today makes him "knowledgeable"

Lol I'd love to spend an hour writing a reply to this like you did, but I don't need to. Obviously you're just a wannabe NBA snoob, piggy backing over the "popular opinion" to justifying your claims & attacking people that disagree with you. I can only hope you somehow find a life (while you spend the rest of your time nitpicking every little thing that may or may not be correct) And putting Oden behind Batum and Miller is purely your opinion I would have put him 3rd. Obviously I don't care about his stats I care about his health what are you retarded? And I said December because that's when I assume he'll be playing a regular amount of time, but I love that you act like a sarcastic fifteen year old. The only facts you've presented is that you're too stupid to be on a real NBA site so you decide that you can be de fuhrer on CAG. And what fact are you presenting other than the fact that he's been injuried? Something I'm pretty sure people on Mars know. Of course you aren't being childish, yet respond with ignorance of another opinion and what can only be consider an insurmountable sarcasm that I'm sure you don't use in your everyday life. Enjoy being an internet gangster, I will not be replying because I don't need to justify myself to some idiot who thinks reporting yesterdays news today makes him "knowledgeable"
I'm gonna go back and reference what I said in one of my earlier posts, put down the Kool-Aid.

Oden will probably not play a minute till after the all-star break. And looking at the east playoff teams rosters, they only need Oden against Pacers (coz of hibbert reasons) and a couple of west teams(if they make finals next year)... That's probably it. I doubt Spo will risk it and play oden against unnecessary competition.

That said i still think east wil def be more interesting this coming season compared to last. Pacers isn't flying under the radar anymore copeland and scola are good addition, nets if they stay healthy and kidd coaches well could give heat a run for their money, noah + boozer is better inside the paint than bosh + birdman and Jimmy butler could turn out to be better than Deng, rose returns too. The bright side (maybe) is heat ain't gonna go against all those 3 teams in 1 postseason. At some point, one of those three will get knocked off by either of the two. Unless Nets or Bulls decided to intentionally tank some games to stay healthy and they're not worried about going against miami in the first round. Very unlikely but it wouldn't surprise me if it happens. 

Overall West has better competition. But if just talking about the top 4 seeds east has it tougher.

My west finals will be Warriors vs Rockets (might be way overrating dwights impact on this one, but i trust harden, lin, parsons, beverly and garcia getting better). East will be.... Nets vs Heat (Semis: Nets beats pacers, Heat beats bulls, knicks bounced in 1st round). 

EDIT: Gonna post this gif so i can find it easier in the future. I get a feeling this will get a lot of use this next season.

1275389857_naked-gun-k0z2d.gif

Thanks rbanez for showing what a rational Heat fan looks like. I pretty much agree with everything you said. The Heat will use him when he is needed and if Oden can just stand in the paint without getting hurt and make teams second guess driving to the rim or maybe draw a double team off Lebron and others, he will be worth the money. And as a Rockets fan, I love your WCF prediction :D

I was gonna post some NBA news but I think it's time for a new thread as well. With that said....

bread's done
Back