The 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='dafoomie']Pronger's contract is not an issue, he'll just be on LTIR forever.

Bryzgalov and his 8 remaining years, however...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they'll force him to stay on LTIR, but if he decides to retire, they're stuck with a huge hole in the cap.

Of course this is their fault for trying to circumvent the cap...

And Bryz's contact.... yuck. Never wanted him in the first place, but Ahab had to get his whale.

I remember when they got him and signed him for 9 yrs. They were so excited and acted like their goalie troubles were all over with. LMAO.

I hope Bryzgalov does have a good year next season. I'm tired of them throwing Boucher into the net when the whole situation falls apart. If he somehow finds his way back in Philly next year...

Bryzgalov will have to learn how to handle the puck in the off-season though. But he still has a lot of problems in net.

TONIGHT!

Washington is just as much a goalie graveyard as philly. Flavor of the week for years. Varlamov, Neuvirth, Holtby, I still remember the Caps fans all saying how signing Vokoun meant the Cup this year.

btw sticking Pronger on LTIR forever isn't a solution because he still counts against the cap in the offseason

Thank god Washington's attempt to drag the NHL back to 2002 is over. One round too late, unfortunately. I hate the Rangers but at least they can be somewhat entertaining.

^^ Its not that bad since you can go over the cap by 10% in the offseason.

Round 3 tonight. Woo! I'm pumped and my prediction is: Coyotes/Rangers.
Personally I don't want to see Phoenix anywhere near the finals but I have a gut feeling they will find themselves there.
I would argue that Washington never found a true no. 1 after Kolzig. Vokoun should still be the answer. Theodore should never be a teams solution.

Bryz made some blunders this season, but his sv% was decent by the end of the season, he showed the capacity to be a monster in the net this past March. Flyers have always been a team focused heavily on offense and lighter on defense. That's why it's a "goalie graveyard."

They need to develop a stronger defense (let's be honest, Pronger was hugely missed, but one person is not going to shift their D into a powerhouse, or even mediocre territory). That's where all their effort should go. Put someone who plays the same as Bryz into a team with a D like Rangers or Devils and you'll see his sv% climb to the .940 territory and be hailed as a god among gods.

They also really exposed their weakness to teams that play heavy on defense this year - Bruins, Rangers, Devils. They excelled despite their glaring weakness this year - but if the knowledge of being winless against the Rangers since early 2011 did not expose them, the series vs. the Devils exposed them - teams will know, easily, how to defeat them next season. They have to adapt, which means either (a) they will, or (b) Laviolette might expose himself as a one-trick pony, flounder next year, and be with another team in mid-2013.

Actually enjoying the match-ups.

Hoping for Rangers to make it through to the finals and I would be content with either team in the west. It's good to see the Kings become relevant again and to see the Coyotes not be terribad. This has been quite the interesting postseason.

4-2. A couple of different bounces and it's 7-0. Coyotes were outclassed and out-muscled at every point of the game. The Blues and Nucks were at least in it and interesting. Phoenix was dog shit.

I'd expect the Kings to be retaliating for that "accidental" cross check to Mitchell's throat with 3 mins to go.

Welp, this one is up for everyone else to finish now. My team has fallen, although I'm not depressed like I was last year.

Now that charter has moved the only channel that the games are on to digital I have not been keeping up with the games at all. Also it does not help that the Blues were put out in a 4 game sweep. Didn't even know that LA and Phoenix played last night.

That Rangers/Caps game was not at all what I expected to see. Kind of disappointing really.

But holy crap was last night fun to watch. While the Kings indeed outplayed the 'Yotes all night long, the ability to hang on and keep it interesting was just great...

I have not been able to watch the Kings and Coyotes games but the way I keep reading are the Coyotes even showing up? I should be able to watch the game Thursday night and I'm guessing that will be game 4.

I don't agree. Doan's penalty during the game was fitting because everything met the 5-minute major metric perfectly. But it was poor luck/timing, as the King's (don't recall who he hit) head turned away and into the boards at the last possible second, as Doan had already initiated his block (but not made contact).

Hanzal? That dude was headhunting of the highest order. Between him, Smith, and Torres earlier, I have zero respect for the Coyotes.

[quote name='speedracer']Coyotes finally gave the Kings a game.[/QUOTE]

And it still amounts to nothing. Brooms come out Sunday.

[quote name='speedracer']Coyotes finally gave the Kings a game.[/QUOTE]

Really? Go figure, I miss the game and the Coyotes decide not to goon it up.

How does Phoenix keep the ice from not melting? They must have one hell of a power bill.

Kopitar's goal made Smith look silly.

Quick's splits makes my crotch hurt.

[quote name='DestroVega']And it still amounts to nothing. Brooms come out Sunday.[/QUOTE]
vUcn6.png

[quote name='mykevermin']I don't agree. Doan's penalty during the game was fitting because everything met the 5-minute major metric perfectly. But it was poor luck/timing, as the King's (don't recall who he hit) head turned away and into the boards at the last possible second, as Doan had already initiated his block (but not made contact).

Hanzal? That dude was headhunting of the highest order. Between him, Smith, and Torres earlier, I have zero respect for the Coyotes.[/QUOTE]

I didn't agree with Hanzal's conduct at all, but all the hate on Doan is hilarious. He is one of the classiest players in the NHL.

Smith with a huge mistake to swing momentum.

Tries a deep pass to Doan on the power play, completely misses for an icing. Kings win the face off, shot from point redirected for the short handed goal.

Coyotes had been dominating.

You Doan see the shoulder to shoulder part of the hit?

You'll have all offseason to think about it.

Man, great night for LA - PHX sports.

edit: I missed the game last night. I've sat here and watched the hit like 10 times on ESPN. I don't even understand the complaint here. His head is down but he isn't hit in the head. Brown doesn't leave his skates. The first part of their bodies to hit are their shoulders. The guy is cutting across the blue line in the attacking zone. The whistle is close enough to not expect someone to pull up and even then, how could he do it?

This guy goes head down across a blue line. Are you fucking crazy man? Do we not crush people there?

Love the slash by Smith on Richards AFTER the winning goal is scored. Enjoy your time off whiny bitches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phoenix can go back to not remembering they have a hockey team and hopefully they are back in Quebec next season.

No way Brown should be suspended. The first point of contact was the shoulder followed by thigh on thigh contact. I know Coyotes fans are upset by the loss but they should focus on failing on a power play in overtime (from a bs call on Doughty) and not a solid but unfortunate hit by Brown.

I love Richards' reaction after Penner's goal.

Man, Doughty was singled the fuck out in the OT period for awful, awful calls.

Don't get me wrong, I laughed at his tirades, and would love a .gif of his "HOLY fuck!" reaction to the offsides call he got after the interference penalty - so it was enjoyable, but it was poor, poor officiating.

Poor officiating is one thing that, to me, has really been exposed in this year's playoffs.

[quote name='emg28']No way Brown should be suspended. The first point of contact was the shoulder followed by thigh on thigh contact. I know Coyotes fans are upset by the loss but they should focus on failing on a power play in overtime (from a bs call on Doughty) and not a solid but unfortunate hit by Brown.[/QUOTE]

Is there a replay with a better angle? From what I remember last night, it looked like he extended the knee. Either way, it was a blown call and I think warranted a penalty.

[quote name='DestroVega']Phoenix can go back to not remembering they have a hockey team and hopefully they are back in Quebec next season.[/QUOTE]

Back in Quebec? You're thinking of the Colorado Avalanche, bud. And Quebec won't have a team until 2015 at the earliest. I'd rather see Seattle get a team though.

I don't remember seeing shoulder contact first. To me it looked like it was knee to thigh contact.

[quote name='ratzombie']Back in Quebec? You're thinking of the Colorado Avalanche, bud. And Quebec won't have a team until 2015 at the earliest. I'd rather see Seattle get a team though.[/QUOTE]

Yup. A slip by me. But they have a prospective buyer from Quebec that would move the team there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back