The 2013-14 NFL Thread

As a Niners fan, love the result. Not saying Packers or Carolina are automatic wins but I'd rather that path than beat Pack, head to Seattle.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Munchak was actually offered a hefty raise and an extension, if he would change about a dozen members of his staff. I'd probably say no to that too.

LOL Bengals.  Just a terrible performance.  The Chargers didn't even look that good and they are probably going to get killed next week in Denver.

I'm so glad the Eagles lost - now the rest of the playoffs will be enjoyable to watch since I really don't care about any of the remaining teams.

BdPrd-6CYAA-ISQ.jpg

So Munchak was actually offered a hefty raise and an extension, if he would change about a dozen members of his staff. I'd probably say no to that too.
Well, at that point, yeah...I don't know why you'd keep Munchak anyway. Seems like a courtesy for what he's meant to the franchise more than anything. I didn't read about it being that many people. But the big sticking points were Gregg Williams being given the defensive coordinator job (which Munchak didn't want) and firing Dowell Loggains from offensive coordinator because management felt he got too pass happy with his playcalling.

People can say what they want about Gregg Williams...but the man knows defense. The Titans defense was horrible in 2012...and really turned around in just one year. His impact on the team was obvious. As for Loggains, I honestly blame Munchak more. When your starters get injured and your o-line can't block for shit, you SHOULD get creative with your playcalling.

The Titans have freaking Munchak and Bruce Matthews on that staff, and they can't figure out how to open up legitimate holes for Chris Johnson. This "Hey, you're one of the fastest players in the NFL. Go make a play." expectation is bullshit. There are a lot of teams around the NFL that do more with less...and that comes down to coaching.

LOL Bengals. Just a terrible performance. The Chargers didn't even look that good and they are probably going to get killed next week in Denver.

I'm so glad the Eagles lost - now the rest of the playoffs will be enjoyable to watch since I really don't care about any of the remaining teams.
Yeah...I don't know why, but it feels like the NFL has started to trend toward the NBA, with only a handful of good teams and then a bunch of "also ran"s. It seems like you could have plugged any number of teams in place of the Bengals and they could have done just as well (even the Titans beat the Chargers early in the season). Feels like a really easy road for Denver this year.

I don't know - I like the parity in the NFL.  Any year could be "the year" for pretty much any team.  There are definitely a few teams that seem to stand out but even they have flaws.  There aren't any more teams like the '90s Cowboys and '80s 49ers that you could just pencil in for the Championship game prior to the season.  The 2007 Pats were the last "great" team, IMO (and even they had their flaws, obviously).

To the shock of noone, SF should be up 21-0 but thanks to the atrocious play calls of Roman and Harbaugh in the redzone are relegated to 3 field goals, doesn't help Crabtree getting mugged every other play but i already came to expect that with who they're playing against.

For as good of a coach as Harbaugh is, the play-calling is disgusting. First and goal at the 4 and they throw 3 straight passes? Ok.

3 field goals?
Well isn't that a forgone conclusion at the end of this drive?

For as good of a coach as Harbaugh is, the play-calling is disgusting. First and goal at the 4 and they throw 3 straight passes? Ok.

Well isn't that a forgone conclusion at the end of this drive?
Thank you. The first time they tried that play action was bad enough but to try again like 2 more times? you mean to tell me they couldn't have hand the ball off to gore. He just got a td from further back then they had the last couple of redzone possessions.

i have no idea why teams just don't eat 5 yards instead of taking timeouts like they have 10 of them, this isn't the fucking nba.

lmao again with the loose calling timeout bullshit. you're now down to 1 and its not even the 4th, this is just too much, either Roman has no fucking idea what call to make or harbaugh is changing something either way this shit is inexcusable. Are the Niners trying to donate a win to GB?

lmao again with the loose calling timeout bullshit. you're now down to 1 and its not even the 4th, this is just too much, either Roman has no fucking idea what call to make or harbaugh is changing something either way this shit is inexcusable. Are the Niners trying to donate a win to GB?
The 2nd half has not been the 49ers offense's friend this year.

lmao @ all the missed holds during these last couple of plays

LOL again. 3 holds on 3 diff players on that almost rodgers sack yet magically nobody saw it fuck outta here with this garbage.

Maybe its just me but I feel as if the niners seem to use their timeouts much more early compared to other teams. Not just talking about this game but past games also

No question they do, they probably study from the Andy Reid school of clock management.

LOL every time rodgers steps up in the pocket or scrambles those 2 long haired douchebags on the o line are holding every time lol

Maybe its just me but I feel as if the niners seem to use their timeouts much more early compared to other teams. Not just talking about this game but past games also
They routinely waste timeouts. It's horrible.

The lack of respect the 49ers were being given going to this game was quite surprising. I understand Rogers is the best player, but the 49ers are far superior. They didn't even play all that well today.

Never the less, onto Carolina. Niners owe them one for earlier this year.

They routinely waste timeouts. It's horrible.
It's all due to the pre-snap configuration changes that are now part of the Roman/Harbaugh gameplan. I don't like it either, but it's been just enough to win most of the time. Interesting that they've won the last two games in exactly the same fashion (Dawson FG) with regulation time expiring, and with the same score, 23-20.

I have split loyalties with the Panthers/49ers game next week... so I guess I can't lose.

Does anyone else think that the refs are a bit lax on false starts these days? Seems like offensive linemen are shifting all over the place with no flags.

Does anyone else think that the refs are a bit lax on false starts these days? Seems like offensive linemen are shifting all over the place with no flags.
Maybe I'm suffering from old man syndrome but didn't two men in motion also used to draw a lot of flags?

As an unbiased Niner fan, here's my take on the Packers game:

Defense was an A-. Front 7 is much healtheir going into the playoffs than they were last season so this bodes well for their playoff run this year even moreso than last year defensively speaking. The front four provided great pressure and Rodgers didn't look comfortable from the pocket all day. Secondary played well and what impressed me was they did that without Rodgers and Wright (who was supposed to be the nickel corner behind Rodgers).

Special teams was B+. Clutch kicking and they helped themselves with holding up their end of the field positioning battle.

Offense was a B. Given the injuries on the Packers defensive front, I thought the Niners were going to run better. They ran well enough and stuck with the run to keep things well balanced. Kap and Crabtree were clutch. It's maddening that they milk the playclock to the last second and waste their timeouts. Kap's dual threat running/throwing is the x-factor but I'm afraid he's going to let his athletic ability takeover at times when he needs to go through his progression reads more. He rarely looks at his third receiving option. He is deceptively fast when he runs out of the pocket so he looks amazing when you get results like yesterday but my fear is he'll run into defenses that will do a better job of spying the QB. Teams like Carolina. QB's that run too often sooner or later will limit the overall depth of the offense. Just look at RGIII. Pure pocket passing is still the way to go.

With that said, I feel a little optimistic about their chances against Carolina. Very different Niner team flying to Carolina next week. If Steve Smith is still hobbled next Sunday, I like my chances.

Looks like the Nfl is gonna add 2 more wildcard. I have no idea how this would work. 2nd seed no longer gets a bye? baseball style with 2 wildcards fighting each other?

It would be:

2 v. 7

3 v. 6

4 v. 5

1 gets the bye and plays lowest seed in round 2. The other winners play each other. The two additional wild cards are 1 in each conference. I'm not sure I like this - getting the 2 seed would mean much less, obviously. Also making the playoffs in the current format is special and this devalues it.

I hate it. Sure it would have gotten a deserving Arizona team in this year, but who would have gotten in from the AFC? A Steelers team that lost their first four or a Dolphin team that scored 1 TD in their final 26 possessions needing one win to make the playoffs. That's garbage.

bread's done
Back