The 2013-14 NFL Thread

[quote name="kill3r7" post="11618110" timestamp="1395095184"]Agreed. I've been hearing/reading the same thing. Mario would be a welcomed addition but we still need help on the Oline and at TE. I think we can fill both holes through the draft. The NFC East is a total crapshoot with the Eagles looking like the early favorites. If the Giants make the playoffs this year I'll be very happy. Funny how a week completely changes your perspective. I remember us both being pretty down last week.[/quote]

Yeah - I like the recent action and they aren't breaking the bank on anyone. I think you are right about the draft - I keep hearing we are going to take some stud TE in the first round. Both lines are still worrisome but whatever they end up with will be better than last year. Plus we just signed that dude from the Chiefs who I think is going to start.

Obviously biased as a Giants fan, but I agree. They have brought in some real talent so far. If the draft goes well, this is gonna be one of Reese's best offseasons as the GM.

They bring Mario back today, which I think can be very big, if he can stay healthy. The OL was a massive issue last year for the Giants, but so was the timing, or lack thereof, between Manning and the receivers. Will be nice for him to have a target he is comfortable with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm, as an outsider looking at the east (and I don't have a preference for who wins it) there is the eagles, and then everyone else on a different part of the ladder.
Why? Their offense should be good assuming the league doesn't catch up to Foles now that there is about 10 games worth of film to study but their defense still sucks.

I do think the Redskins will bounce back. Maybe not the dominant team from a couple years ago, but not as bad as last year.

Jets bringing on Vick is an odd move, in my opinion. Nothing to do with his past. He's paid his price to society. Just doesn't seem to be a fit for what appears to be Idzik's strategy of building for the future. Unless they are finally conceding that Geno Smith is awful, and they don't wanna bother carting him out for 16 games next year to see what everyone else already knows. Wonder what their plan for the year after will be, though. Vick can't have that much left in the tank.

Vick signing to the Jets = actually veteran competition to push Geno and/or have him learn some stuff from said veteran + connection to the Jets OC because he was the OC in Philly.

I did find it funny on Twitter, some Jets fans were like "this is ridiculous. We sign a felon 3 days after season tickets had to be paid for" and "I will not support the team in any way while Vick is on the roster". Michelle Beadle tweeted @MichelleDBeadle: Looks like mama is on the market for a new football team....

I mean seriously? Do these people know tons of guys who have played on their team have broken the law and not even done any time that they should have? Vick did his.

Vick signing to the Jets = actually veteran competition to push Geno and/or have him learn some stuff from said veteran + connection to the Jets OC because he was the OC in Philly.

I did find it funny on Twitter, some Jets fans were like "this is ridiculous. We sign a felon 3 days after season tickets had to be paid for" and "I will not support the team in any way while Vick is on the roster". Michelle Beadle tweeted @MichelleDBeadle: Looks like mama is on the market for a new football team....

I mean seriously? Do these people know tons of guys who have played on their team have broken the law and not even done any time that they should have? Vick did his.
Let's see, just of recent years we've got Plaxicp Burress, Braylon Edwards, Mike Goodson, Jermaine Cunningham, and some more probably but since they didn't hurt a dog I guess it's different.

Let's see, just of recent years we've got Plaxicp Burress, Braylon Edwards, Mike Goodson, Jermaine Cunningham, and some more probably but since they didn't hurt a dog I guess it's different.
Pretty much. I get it, it's awful and a heinous act. But again, guy served his time.

Pretty much. I get it, it's awful and a heinous act. But again, guy served his time.
What I don't get is in a league where there are people who have done much worse than Vick and paid a smaller price (I'm looking at you Ray Lewis), why he's still the most vilified figure in the entire league. I mean shit, I feel like we could let Aaron Hernandez out tomorrow see him get picked up by the Jets on Wednesday and STILL people would be bitching about Vick killing dogs. My god, let it go people.

Listening to some of these lunatics on talk radio around here lately has been insane (more so than usual). I love animals, but I'm sorry, what Vick did does not compare to raping women or being involved in a murder case. Vick did his time. Let it go.

Listening to some of these lunatics on talk radio around here lately has been insane (more so than usual). I love animals, but I'm sorry, what Vick did does not compare to raping women or being involved in a murder case. Vick did his time. Let it go.
Well said. IMO Vick is a lowlife but the man paid his dues...time to move on.

Donte Stallworth killed a dude driving drunk and was let off for it easier. I love animals, but its not on the level of a crime against a person.

Giants have signed Robert Ayers. I'm excited to see how the D will perform this year. At this point I think they'll go DT/TE with the first pick.

Giants have signed Robert Ayers. I'm excited to see how the D will perform this year. At this point I think they'll go DT/TE with the first pick.
They have been quietly signing a ton of linemen, which I love. What I don't love is DJax still being in the division. Ugh.

They have been quietly signing a ton of linemen, which I love. What I don't love is DJax still being in the division. Ugh.
I would be worried if he went to Dallas but Washington never seems to have any success with big free agent signings. We shall see.

I hope the Cowboys get him. I know they need to allocate most of their money on defense, but that offense needs a quality back. Murray is solid, but that dude misses too many games to be considered a primary back.

I can see CJ ending up a Patriot, Jaguar or Brown.

ESPN Insider thinks he'll be a Viking, as well. Could be a nice dual threat if CJ actually tries to run this year.

ESPN Insider thinks he'll be a Viking, as well. Could be a nice dual threat if CJ actually tries to run this year.
Considering he didn't want to share carries with Shonn Greene...it would be mind blowing for him to play second fiddle to Adrian Peterson. It's really unfortunate how that whole situation played out in Tennessee. Too much drama in the locker room the past few years. If CJ was a part of it, I guess it's good he's gone. But allegedly, they let Jared Cook walk because he was lazy, Kenny Britt is a headcase, and now CJ. So much damn wasted talent.

And as I've said before...CJ still put up 1000+ yards rushing and some decent receiving yards year after year. So, that's production they've got to replace. So many questions with this year's team, and if things don't go well, they could be in full on rebuilding mode again. It's already been stated that at this point, they don't intend on re-signing Jake Locker. Whisenhunt at least made the reasonable statement that Locker hasn't really played enough to be properly assessed.

I just hope the front office knows what it's doing because for a team that was on the verge of making the playoffs, it would be incredibly stupid to voluntarily turn yourself into the Oakland Raiders.

Why? The Browns got the RB they wanted (Tate) and if they want another, they'll get one in the draft that's cheaper since they have a ton of picks to make.

Why? The Browns got the RB they wanted (Tate) and if they want another, they'll get one in the draft that's cheaper since they have a ton of picks to make.
Because he's the only RB (that I'm aware of) that's on the Browns' roster, and pickings are getting slim. Ben Tate isn't built to last, and I could see Cleveland doing something like trying to sign CJ (if the price is right). There's been a bunch of head scratching moves this offseason, and stranger things have happened.

Because he's the only RB (that I'm aware of) that's on the Browns' roster, and pickings are getting slim. Ben Tate isn't built to last, and I could see Cleveland doing something like trying to sign CJ (if the price is right). There's been a bunch of head scratching moves this offseason, and stranger things have happened.
If a decision seems like a really stupid and/or puzzling move, expect the Browns to make it.
They've also got Dion Lewis (out last season), Chris Ogbannaya (FB/RB), and Edwin Baker as far as the other backs worth keeping around for training camp/pre-season. Dion Lewis is the guy right now to take the back-up/two-back spot, since he was supposed to fill that role last season with Trent, with his speed to compliment the power game of Ben Tate. They have no reason to pay big money for another big back that won't be the #1 guy, especially one that probably doesn't want to be second fiddle to anybody.

I haven't seen any head-scratching moves that they've made in free-agency, as most of the dumb moves you guys have been hyping up in here never happened. That shows how much you guys know about what they'll do.

First Kaepernick is being investigated for sexual assault, and now Aldon Smith just got arrested (again!) for being drunk and yelling "bomb" in an airport. The Niners are becoming the Bengals of the west.

Reading about the Kaepernick nonsense this comment couldn't have been more true:

"After all the investigating, "The police say it's too early to determine whether a crime was committed"

But did that little part stop all the ignoramus here from disparaging a man that the police haven't even charged for a crime or a crime that the police say they don't know if any crime happened?

Noooooo, string him up now and let's discover that he didn't do anything wrong later. You all are poor excuses for human beings"

I'm a 49er fan but it seems to me Kaepernick didn't do anything wrong.

Aldon Smith on the other hand is a legit psychopath. He honestly has HOF talent but might derail his career if he doesn't basically keep himself clean from this moment forward.

If the Browns get it together, they've got a really nice stretch after their early bye with the Titans, Steelers, Jaguars, Raiders, Bucs, Bengals, Texans, Falcons, and Bills in the middle of the season where they could make some noise. The early bye and away game at the Steelers to open the season are the surprises of the schedule.

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/459118769311199232

Ravens have a horrid early schedule. Cinci then Pittsburgh then Cleveland right off the bat (with Pittsburgh a Thursday nighter to boot), then 4 out of 5 games on the road, and 5 out of 6 division games done by Week 9. If the Ravens reach their bye at 6-4 or better, they might have a shot.

Ravens have a horrid early schedule. Cinci then Pittsburgh then Cleveland right off the bat (with Pittsburgh a Thursday nighter to boot), then 4 out of 5 games on the road, and 5 out of 6 division games done by Week 9. If the Ravens reach their bye at 6-4 or better, they might have a shot.
That was my thoughts. I'm looking forward to the Colts/Ravens game so I can see the game in person. My brother and I will be getting seats as close to the field as possible.

LMAO...I love Bernard Pollard. Direct quote...his assessment of the Titans.

“We have been a team where we have sucked butt. And I’m just being perfectly honest with you. We have sucked butt, and it’s time for us to turn that corner.
I, for one, am tired of the butt sucking. And I would approve of sucking less butt.

bread's done
Back