The 2013-14 NFL Thread

There have been reports in the past that there has been tension between Harbaugh and the front office.

He's always been viewed as the intense type. Despite his success at Stanford, he supposedly wore people out there.

Money is a factor as well. Last year after the Superbowl loss, it was reported Harbaugh felt he deserved a contract extension which he did not get. To date, they have not been able to reach a contact extension. It sounds so obvious but the Niners feel like he should be compensated like a top tier coach while Harbaugh feels like he should be paid like the others that won a Superbowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2014/2/26/5450694/browns-part-with-team-captain-ilb-dqwell-jackson

It's a sad day for the Dawg Pound as the Browns have released defensive captain and team leader D'Qwell Jackson after eight years of loyal service. Seems like they tried to work out a deal to restructure his contract, but they agreed to disagree and decided to release him to further bolster the cap space that they have. It didn't seem like he was the best fit for a 3-4, but it's still a shame to see that sort of leader go. Whoever picks him up will get one of the classiest players in the league that will do everything you'd expect of a leader. This is pretty much the exact opposite way that Phil Dawson left, where the FO just did everything in their power to drive him away so that the first chance he had, he left for a winner. I also believe that he was one of the players quoted as being completely shocked that Chud was fired, so he took that news hard and wants to go somewhere with some stability since he hasn't had that in the last eight years.

"To the people of Cleveland and Browns fans everywhere: Eight years ago I began a journey that blessed me with the opportunity to be a part of a wonderful organization and community. I want to take this time to thank each and every one of you for opening your arms and hearts to my family and me, and for making Cleveland an easy place to love and call home. It’s been an honor playing in front of you.

I also would like to thank the Browns players, coaches and staff for their tireless work and commitment. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you all and will always carry you with me."

The Bucs have gone full retard.

Uniform03_03_14_2_a.jpg

Saw that picture earlier on the Dan Patrick Show. One of them mentioned it looking like an Arena League team or from Any Given Sunday. :lol:

Yea, that uniform is extremely awful. I thought the helmet was pretty stupid, but the color scheme on the uniform itself just does not work.

The colors and design aren't too horrible but that font for the numbers is atrocious.
This. It looks like alarm clock or calculator numbers. Absolutely terrible.

There's also too many logos. The BUCS on the sleeves are too much.

Boldin back on the Niners. 2 years, $12 million

Also the report is Kaepernick wants $17 million a year. El-oh-El

Ron Jaworski said he is the greatest QB ever, so he deserves it.
He also said he wouldn't draft Manziel until Round 4. He doesn't believe either of those statements, he said them both to create a week of content for the station to debate. Probably was told to by the network.

Ron Jaworski said he is the greatest QB ever, so he deserves it.
He actually said he has the tools to be one of the greatest ever. But don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. Either way He's really just asking market rate or even below market rate depending on where you put him. With Cutler and Romo getting 18 million there was no doubt in my mind Kaep would be getting around the same amount no matter what he said about wanting to help the team and what Niner fans thought he would only want 10-14 million.

It's like each Florida team wanted to look shittier then the one before it. The Dolphins with the tramp stamp, the Jags with the half helmet, and now the Bucs, well like many have said on the internet, look like they were created using Madden 2007's create-a-team feature. The Browns are next up to get "cutting-edge" uniforms next year.

---

Keapernick would be a fool not to say that he wants 18 mil a year. Like JetTone said, that's what Cutler and Romo are getting payed. But the question is will the Niners do a deal with him now or let the final year of his rookie contract play out.

---

He also said he wouldn't draft Manziel until Round 4. He doesn't believe either of those statements, he said them both to create a week of content for the station to debate. Probably was told to by the network.
Yup and he probably does it all the time.

When it was Jaworski's turn, he issued a stern proclamation. "Call me crazy, but I'm really excited for Tyler Palko tonight," he said, and a roomful of skeptical sports producers erupted in laughter. Jaworski had given himself the thankless task of building up the Chiefs, praising them as much as he could without putting his own credibility at risk. Perhaps viewers would buy into the idea, however far-fetched, that Palko would emerge as the night's underdog hero. Later that day, as Jaworski was making a cup of coffee in the ESPN bus, he tried the line again. "Call me crazy, but I'm excited about Tyler Palko," he said. He exhaled. "I've got to sell this," he said to himself.
http://deadspin.com/5865039/everything-thats-wrong-with-monday-night-football-in-one-new-yorker-paragraph

--

And to end on a positive note the Niners re-signed Anquan Boldin to a two year deal. Yay.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2014/3/3/5467132/cleveland-browns-use-the-transition-tag-on-c-alex-mack

The Browns used the transition tag on center Alex Mack, which I hadn't heard of until this happened. Still leaves room for them to use the franchise tag on TJ Ward.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2014/3/5/5473368/browns-release-troubled-wr-davone-bess

They also released WR Davone Bess after a terrible off-season, so I hope he takes the opportunity to get the helps he needs. They don't owe him any more more due to clauses letting them get out of the contract in situations like this.

I dunno, what do you expect them to do?

"This game is going to suck, don't bother watching". I guess they could be a little more forthright but they still have to show a game between crappy teams. 

In other news..

Denver releases Champ Bailey. Clearly the dude is a shell of his former self and no longer a solid CB. Still he was a favorite. And we CLEARLY got the better of that trade. 

I dunno, what do you expect them to do?

"This game is going to suck, don't bother watching". I guess they could be a little more forthright but they still have to show a game between crappy teams.

In other news..

Denver releases Champ Bailey. Clearly the dude is a shell of his former self and no longer a solid CB. Still he was a favorite. And we CLEARLY got the better of that trade.
I always liked Champ, both in Washington and Denver. If he can be brought in for cheap, I wouldn't mind Carolina taking a shot on him. But I highly doubt he'll come cheap.

Rumors coming out of Carolina is that Steve Smith is going to be cut in the morning. As a Panthers fan, I am pretty much heart broken. It doesn't even make any sense.

The Titans are actually trying to trade Chris Johnson. Nobody is going to take on that $8 million contract though,..so he'll likely be cut soon. It just doesnt make much sense on his part to be that unflexible when no other team will pay him that much anyway. I guess he'd rather stick to his "principles" and sign with another team for less money so he can stick it to the Titans. 

I feel like both sides are wrong on this one though. CJ hasn't been worth $8 million a year, but he hasn't been terrible either. If Tennessee would really rather save $8M and look for another consistent thousand yard rusher, that's their choice I guess. I'm really expecting them to draft a RB in the first round now.

Rumors coming out of Carolina is that Steve Smith is going to be cut in the morning. As a Panthers fan, I am pretty much heart broken. It doesn't even make any sense.
Yeah, his release does actually not make any sense. Most of his salary he gets even if cut so I don't really understand that one.

Yeah, I'm not feeling this either. It makes zero sense to me. As Destro says, they're not really gonna save that much. He's the heart and soul of that team, has been for years now. Look at the rest of their WRs and tell me if any are better than a number 3 option. Spoiler: they are not. Word is Hakeem Nicks is interested in Carolina and vice-versa, but why not bring him in as a number 1 and shift Smitty to the slot, where he has wanted to be for a few years now. It's just baffling.

Also: we can keep Byron Bell and get rid of Smitty? WTF?

If Nicks is their number 1, yikes. They either save 3 or 4 million cutting Smith. If they ABSOLUTELY need the money, ok. Otherwise it's really not worth it. Either way, I expect Carolina to take a step back this year. Their roster isn't going to look the same no matter what they do with Smith.

Cleveland is interested in trading for Revis.

If this happens, I love you, Cleveland.

Love always,

- A Bucs fan

P.S. Thanks for Bobby Rainey.

^Why wouldn't they just wait until the Bucs cut him? No one wants him at his current salary.

If Nicks is their number 1, yikes. They either save 3 or 4 million cutting Smith. If they ABSOLUTELY need the money, ok. Otherwise it's really not worth it. Either way, I expect Carolina to take a step back this year. Their roster isn't going to look the same no matter what they do with Smith.
Yeah....I mean, their number 1 as of right now is an aging Smitty. They've needed another wide receiver for years. YEARS. And now they may need two or three, depending on what happens with LaFell and Ginn. I've also heard some rumors of them trying to go after Sidney Rice, Golden Tate, and/or Eric Decker as well as targeting receivers in the draft. It's just...disheartening to see it play out like this with a franchise defining player.

^Why wouldn't they just wait until the Bucs cut him? No one wants him at his current salary.
Because they're the Browns. I'm not really understanding their logic with their signings. They're essentially replacing Jackson and Ward with Dansby and Whitner, which are lateral moves at best.

I can't wait to see who overpays for Eric Decker.

Steve Smith is 5'9", is turning 35 in June, his athleticism noticeably slipped last season, and his contract is $7 million next season. It makes all the sense in the world to try to move him.

Steve Smith is 5'9", is turning 35 in June, his athleticism noticeably slipped last season, and his contract is $7 million next season. It makes all the sense in the world to try to move him.
Not to mention he decks a teammate every summer camp. He seems to bring a lot of drama maybe his production no longer makes up for it.

However, as was said before, the Panthers would only save a million or so by cutting him. He is still decently productive so it would be better to milk what they can out of him. Plus, they don't have much better alternatives.

Niners traded a 6th round pick for Blaine Gabbert. The GM, Balke, is clearly fucking nuts and has to be fired. How is Gabbert even worth a 6th rounder?

Because they're the Browns. I'm not really understanding their logic with their signings. They're essentially replacing Jackson and Ward with Dansby and Whitner, which are lateral moves at best.

I can't wait to see who overpays for Eric Decker.
It's actually pretty easy to figure out why they made the moves that they made. Unless you know something about the contract that isn't known, Dansby is coming in at a cheaper contract (4 years, $24 million compared to DQ's 5 year $42.5 million) for a guy that actually fits a 3-4 defense very well. D'Qwell Jackson just didn't fit the 3-4 well at all and was at his best in the 4-3 they ran a few years ago. They tried to work out a restructured deal with Jackson, but couldn't agree and decided it was best to cut him to save themselves some money. D'Qwell was scheduled to make $9.4 million this year and that's way too much for a guy that doesn't fit your scheme.

TJ Ward just didn't want to re-sign with Cleveland, as they had plenty of time to work out a deal if he wanted to return, which is bolstered by the fact that his deal with Denver is for less money than the Donte Whitner deal. In contrast, Donte Whitner is from Ohio, so he actually wanted to sign with his hometown team.

Denver is the favorite to sign DeMarcus Ware.

Edit: Denver signed formers Patriots CB Aqib Talib to a 6 year deal worth $57 million.

Not too sure about the Talib signing...good player but has issues

edit: looks like that is the going rate for corners. On the local sports show they said DRC was offered a similar deal (less gauranteed but same yearly pay) before free agency and he turned it down. Talib was plan B 

Something similar might be happening with Jared Allen and Demarcus Ware. The broncs will get the one who is cheaper.

Niners traded a 6th round pick for Blaine Gabbert. The GM, Balke, is clearly fucking nuts and has to be fired. How is Gabbert even worth a 6th rounder?
So many overreactions to this. They have about 14 picks in this draft, it's a non issue for me. The guy is 41-14-1 since he took over as GM. What more could you want.

bread's done
Back