The 2013-14 NFL Thread

The more you read about the transit nightmare getting to and leaving the game, the more you realize the NFL and NJ Transit really just screwed up on an embarrassing level. And for the most part, at least from some outlets, I think the NFL has escaped taking it's fair share of the blame. NJ Transit clearly misled everyone involved concerning what they could and could not handle, but wasn't that the NFL's job to verify? I also think the NFL became way too obsessed with marketing this as a "mass transit Super Bowl," when they had a rail system that had never once handled that kind of volume.
Oh BS. NJ didn't mislead anyone. All the parties involved knew what NJTransit was capable of. Anyone who lives in the tri-state area and has used NJTransit knows it is shit and ultimately there was nothing they could do to alleviate the problem. The NFL never thought anyone would notice. What the NFL did is the equivalent of renting a 12 person limo for a group of 25 people then tried to blame the limo company for not doing a better job.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're really into all types of football and don't just watch professional, we're almost already there.
Thursday-NFL
Friday-high school (most)
Saturday-college
Sunday-NFL
Monday-NFL

Tuesday and Wednesday are the only ones missing at this point (peewee games maybe?)
There is college football on Wed nights.

I know it's somewhat late notice, but anyone here who wants to do a Fantasy Playoff Challenge -- I set up a CAG group.

Feel free to join. It's free.

Group Name: CheapyD's All-Stars
Group Password: cheapyd
Group Website: Join Now

To join the group, follow the link above or go to http://playoffchallenge.fantasy.nfl.com/group/161193/join?icampaign=playoffchallenge_lm_email_invite&mp=b3f7231f3d6b5b2e08fa463e27357d43.
I just remembered this. It looks like I somehow won, even though I had two empty spots for the Super Bowl round.

Michael Sam is essentially betting millions of dollars and his future career on whether or not the league's bigotry will be open enough to let him go undrafted.  Even if he is drafted he will face an uphill battle his entire career because teams will be scrutinizing his every move.  I hope it works out for him but the pessimist in me feels like it isn't going to work out for him, particularly in light of Kerry Rhodes and the Chris Kluwe/Mike Priefer/Vikings situation.

Michael Sam is essentially betting millions of dollars and his future career on whether or not the league's bigotry will be open enough to let him go undrafted. Even if he is drafted he will face an uphill battle his entire career because teams will be scrutinizing his every move. I hope it works out for him but the pessimist in me feels like it isn't going to work out for him, particularly in light of Kerry Rhodes and the Chris Kluwe/Mike Priefer/Vikings situation.
If he's able to play like he did for Mizzou, I don't think it's going to be a problem. I have a hard time believing that the NFL would let the SEC Defensive Player of the Year go undrafted.

C'mon Richard Sherman, use those rants for something positive..

"Don't you EVER say a gay man can't play in the NFL!!" 

If he's able to play like he did for Mizzou, I don't think it's going to be a problem. I have a hard time believing that the NFL would let the SEC Defensive Player of the Year go undrafted.
As others pointed out, Kerry Rhodes has been unemployed since RUMORS of him being gay came out. Strong rumors, yes, but rumors nonetheless. He has never come out of the closest, but despite his proven talent, he cannot find a gig. Sam is going to find an even tougher road ahead of him. Bigotry and the media circus that is going to follow him will make finding a job in the NFL very hard...

Sam is a day three (or later) draft pick. SEC "co" defensive player of the year doesn't mean first round pick. It just means he had a good college season----statistically. 

I can already see the media bias and agenda going into full swing. This player has been projected as a late 3rd to 5th round pick at best and this was before any of this hit the mainstream media.

For all of those "But he was the SEC blah blah blah...." 

I can guarantee you that Tim Tebow had more SEC accolades then this kid ever garnered. And to make it worse I've already heard statements on radio stations like "...Sam is expected to be one of the top Defensive prospects of the upcoming draft"

Ummmmm no. He's not and he never was. He is undersized. If he was expected to be a top defensive pick he'd be a day one guy with a legitimate invitation to New York.

The sports world is already full of bible thumping idiots that think Tim Tebow could lead an NFL team to the super bowl. Now we're going to have idiots thinking that this guy fell to a late round pick because the NFL hates gays... and God forbid he get cut during training camp.

If he really cares about playing in the NFL he'll go to camp and tell reporters from TMZ and Home & Garden that he has no comment because he is only focused on his career at that moment.

My opinion is that he'll have no problems in the NFL what so ever if he just goes in and works hard and tries to be one of the guys. If he goes in and makes a spectacle of his sexuality and soaks up the media attention he will create a divide and become an outcast.

Another thing that annoyed the hell out of me today was there was a caller on a CBS Sports affiliate who compared Sam to Jackie Robinson as if they have anything remotely in common. 

I can speak from experience; I played mid level Division 1 football and I had at least three game teammates.... in my freshman class of 20+ and it's not like I went to a school or played in a state that is known for being "gay friendly".

Those "gay" kids worked hard, were good people and had no problem. They never held a team meeting to announce their sexuality but I would be shocked if the majority of our roster didn't know they were gay.

Unless this kid becomes an all-star this is now a lose lose situation for the NFL and whatever team drafts him.

The real question is ....How long has GBA been holding on to that "I played D-1 in college " card???

Media Bias?? You sound like Rush Limbaugh and his stupid McNabb comments.  The bias goes both ways...I've also seen the usual suspects try to down play this. It IS a big deal whether you like it or not.  Firsts are firsts. 

No one, I've seen has said anything about him moving up. He is still and will always be a 3rd-5th round talent. Tebow was drafted in the first round so I fail to see what he has to do with it...he was lauded and he was picked as such. 

The real question is ....How long has GBA been holding on to that "I played D-1 in college " card???

Media Bias?? You sound like Rush Limbaugh and his stupid McNabb comments. The bias goes both ways...I've also seen the usual suspects try to down play this. It IS a big deal whether you like it or not. Firsts are firsts.

No one, I've seen has said anything about him moving up. He is still and will always be a 3rd-5th round talent. Tebow was drafted in the first round so I fail to see what he has to do with it...he was lauded and he was picked as such.
Someone should tell him DeVry isn't D-1.

Media Bias?? You sound like Rush Limbaugh and his stupid McNabb comments. The bias goes both ways...I've also seen the usual suspects try to down play this. It IS a big deal whether you like it or not. Firsts are firsts.

The Tebow reference was to counter all the claims being made that because Sam was the Defensive (make that co-defensive) SEC player of the year that he would be a lock as a top draft pick----because you know, the SEC is regarded as the best college conference...

...It has been said over and over that he is a top defensive pick... and that just isn't true. I heard that on the radio a hand full of times today... something like "Sam, the Defensive player of the year in the SEC is a top defensive draft pick and is expected to be the first openly gay player in the NFL"

There are going to be more media outlets that turn this into a big deal then there are going to be media outlets that try and downplay it. He certainly is not the first gay player in the NFL.

But I guess if Michelle Obama says that he's "brave" he must be such.

If I was a GM I would watch how he handles the media attention and see if he cares more about playing or the attention

...It has been said over and over that he is a top defensive pick... and that just isn't true. I heard that on the radio a hand full of times today... something like "Sam, the Defensive player of the year in the SEC is a top defensive draft pick and is expected to be the first openly gay player in the NFL."
Who has been saying that? Every draft guru I've heard/read said he was a mid-rounder.

Yeah. This guy was ranked the 90th player overall by a bunch of different outlets. He played DE in college but apparently couldn't play with his hands on the ground in the NFL so he'd be best used as an OLB on a team with a 3-4 defense. Ideal hypothetical situation is the 49ers take him and he could spell Ahmad Brooks or Aldon Smith.

That's basically the kind of player you're looking at.

Banner and Lombardi are out in Cleveland. Their owner needs to hurry up and go to jail.

The timing is pretty bad considering how the draft preparations are in full swing. But I guess if you want to move them you might as well do it now. The messed up thing about it all is you need to give people time if you want to see if they are the right fit. 1 - 2 years isn't enough.

Michael Sam is too light to play as defensive end in the pros. He may play with his hands down in passing situations if he's a great pass rusher though. Aldon Smith played at Missouri and came into the league with the same weight but he's officially an OLB as they both fit the tweener mold. Obviously, he'll need to prove himself in the pros so I'm not trying to make a direct comparison to Aldon. I sure hope he does well in the pros so that he can be the ambassador of openly gay NFL athletes. To me, the culture shock of homosexuality is so old that we should all be over it by now but we won't get past that as a society until more and more guys come out. If he succeeds, more players will come out and that'd be awesome.

https://twitter.com/WillBurge/statuses/433266389042745344

I'm glad that the Three Stooges has been disbanded, as we didn't need this three-man boys club running the show like they've somehow earned that right. I'm hoping that Ray Farmar does a better job than Michael "What mental problems?" Lombari, which shouldn't be too hard since he'll have a ton of cap space to work with for this off-season.

It's Cleveland's favorite board game!

GameSPtag.jpg

http://www.sportspickle.com/2014/02/cleveland-browns-board-game

CBS has given the boot to Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe. They've added Tony Gonzalez to the pregame show crew.

I'm honestly surprised they let either of those two go over Boomer Esiason, but I imagine he has a cheaper contract.

CBS has given the boot to Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe. They've added Tony Gonzalez to the pregame show crew.

I'm honestly surprised they let either of those two go over Boomer Esiason, but I imagine he has a cheaper contract.
Hooray!

I hated Marino and Sharpe was so damn difficult to understand sometimes.

I doubt that the Niners took that talk seriously. They probably just heard what the Browns had to say then they mentioned it to Jim. Then they all just laughed about it.

I don't know who to believe. York says it's total BS, some insider guys are saying their best sources say it's true. Who knows.

Where would the Niners go from there though? Mangini? Doesn't make much sense.

bread's done
Back