The 2013-14 NFL Thread

Hey my team played in the SB (well played is me being generous). Even though they got spanked it was much better then being there than not
Ironic line coming from someone that has used the "Brady hasn't done anything in ten years" retort.

I guess getting there and losing is only an accomplishment when it's your team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eli: "YESS!"

Wonder if they can repeat since they wont be able to have this talent in a couple of years.

bidUfae.jpg

Sorry if already posted. I lol'd good at this :D

Really disappointing loss, but that wasn't even a fun game to watch. I'm not sure that I've seen that happen in my lifetime of watching them, which has been since the SF/SD game. Looking at past games, I guess that SF/SD, TB/Oakland, and Baltimore/NYG were lopsided wins but not to this extent.

Because the winner of that division automatically bypasses the rest of the AFC teams in the playoffs.
I think he meant conference. But I kinda agree with him in some respect. Has Denver really played a good defense all season? Maybe a few decent ones but nothing the caliber of NFC's elite. Please don't say KC, because they were exposed giving up a 28 point lead to the Colts.

Really disappointing loss, but that wasn't even a fun game to watch. I'm not sure that I've seen that happen in my lifetime of watching them, which has been since the SF/SD game. Looking at past games, I guess that SF/SD, TB/Oakland, and Baltimore/NYG were lopsided wins but not to this extent.
I don't know. I remember that 49ers beatdown on the Chargers being pretty bad. The final score doesn't really reflect it too much, but San Diego didn't even belong on the same field. Much like this year, the NFC title game that year felt like the "real" Super Bowl.

But, yeah, I pretty much tuned this one out by the beginning of the 4th quarter.

I don't know. I remember that 49ers beatdown on the Chargers being pretty bad. The final score doesn't really reflect it too much, but San Diego didn't even belong on the same field. Much like this year, the NFC title game that year felt like the "real" Super Bowl.

But, yeah, I pretty much tuned this one out by the beginning of the 4th quarter.
I was eight then, so the spectacle probably made up for it.

49ers also put a huge beatdown on Denver in Super Bowl XXIV. It was 55 - 10.

I was eight then, so the spectacle probably made up for it.
I think I was about 12, and I'd been watching Super Bowls for a few years by then, but 1994 was the first season I really got into watching football all season long.

49ers also put a huge beatdown on Denver in Super Bowl XXIV. It was 55 - 10.
Yeah. That was a couple years before I started watching.

yeah Frisky, this is among the most boring Super Bowls I've watched.  I think Ravens/Giants back in 2000 was worse though.  Score wasnt as bad but it was a BORING game to watch.

The more I think about it, it was just one of those flukey games where nothing went right.  Unfortunately it happened in the biggest game.

Despite Denver having to go to Seattle/ NE  and play SF at home next year, I still think they get back. Seattle won't (due to the 49ers)

Reading through all of these posts around the time of the actual game, I noticed a lot of hate for Seattle's fanbase. I don't quite understand it. Anyone want to elaborate on it for me?

The more I think about it, it was just one of those flukey games where nothing went right. Unfortunately it happened in the biggest game.

Despite Denver having to go to Seattle/ NE and play SF at home next year, I still think they get back. Seattle won't (due to the 49ers)
You're right... I think Denver has the best chance to repeat out of the AFC; NE will have to make some moves to stay competitive, that and Wilfork/Gronk will have to return at full strength and you never know with those type of injuries.

I think Indy has a chance though.

Don't sleep on the Ravens, Bengals, or Steelers. All 3 will improve next season and I highly doubt the Texans will be the worst team in the league next year.

Seattle not only has to deal with the 49ers, but also the Cardinals and Rams.

Reading through all of these posts around the time of the actual game, I noticed a lot of hate for Seattle's fanbase. I don't quite understand it. Anyone want to elaborate on it for me?
Since they won against NO 4 years ago, many members of the fan base have gotten jerkier and jerkier the better the team got. It didn't help that any article not saying the Seahawks were perfect were descended upon by fans saying they give the team no respect.

Throwing food at an injured player being carted off the field. (even though in fairness, it was really a few people)

Don't sleep on the Ravens, Bengals, or Steelers. All 3 will improve next season and I highly doubt the Texans will be the worst team in the league next year.

Seattle not only has to deal with the 49ers, but also the Cardinals and Rams.

Since they won against NO 4 years ago, many members of the fan base have gotten jerkier and jerkier the better the team got. It didn't help that any article not saying the Seahawks were perfect were descended upon by fans saying they give the team no respect.
Eh, I must not read the right comments/threads/forums/sites. Pretty much all of the Seahawks fans I've interacted with have been classy.

Throwing food at an injured player being carted off the field. (even though in fairness, it was really a few people)
Yeah, I saw reports of that (Bowman injury). I understand the hate for that, but all that I heard and saw about it was some kernels of popcorn falling on him.

As a 49er fan I consider their season way more successful.
I would agree - had they won 2 weeks ago they would likely be SB champs right now. Denver has to feel like they are pretty far from competing at the Seahawks level.

This game was actually very important to the long-term health of the sport, IMO. I've been a die-hard football fan for my entire life (watching just about every NFL game I can) but over the last few years I've noticed myself being less and less into it due mainly to the rule changes and the over-emphasis on offense. It doesn't help that my team (Giants) has almost always been associated with defense so that's what I've come to appreciate.

Anyway, it was awesome to see the "best offense ever" get absolutely destroyed by a great defense. A close, exciting game would have been fun but this outcome restores my faith a little in the sport as a whole. It was also really fun to watch the Seattle defense do their thing.

I would agree - had they won 2 weeks ago they would likely be SB champs right now. Denver has to feel like they are pretty far from competing at the Seahawks level.
oh god no. Seriously? It was just one of those games that snowballs. No excuses we didn't have our 2 best defensive players and our best O-lineman. I feel great about our chances next year (check back when Peyton is gone)

The overblown hype for the Seahawks has already begun... that didn't take long.

This game was actually very important to the long-term health of the sport, IMO. I've been a die-hard football fan for my entire life (watching just about every NFL game I can) but over the last few years I've noticed myself being less and less into it due mainly to the rule changes and the over-emphasis on offense. It doesn't help that my team (Giants) has almost always been associated with defense so that's what I've come to appreciate.

Anyway, it was awesome to see the "best offense ever" get absolutely destroyed by a great defense. A close, exciting game would have been fun but this outcome restores my faith a little in the sport as a whole. It was also really fun to watch the Seattle defense do their thing.
It helps that the refs actually let them play. If you take this entire defense and put them in purple and black (or, really, any colors other than teal), they would be flagged every 3 plays.

oh god no. Seriously? It was just one of those games that snowballs. No excuses we didn't have our 2 best defensive players and our best O-lineman. I feel great about our chances next year (check back when Peyton is gone)

I don't think it was just one of those games. They got completely crushed by a much more physical team. The game was never really in doubt and it was clear from the first couple of Denver possessions that they were going to have a really hard time moving the ball. That's not to say Denver was bad - obviously they had a great team - but I think it is safe to say that Seattle is better.

I'm sorry. You could play that game 10 times, the Broncos are losing 9/10. The only thing the snowball created was the blowout. I said 3 weeks ago in this thread Broncos and Seattle would be the worst game of the 4 teams left in the title games and that they would get destroyed, it's exactly what happened. Seattle and San Fran are so ahead of the AFC teams it's disgusting. That's not reacting to last night's game, it's just the straight truth.

I said all year the Broncos were a bully team. Get a head teams sorta quit yet keep scoring scoring scoring. All the records and points in the end meant nothing.

Seattle's team runs at an 11, while the Broncos are firmly nested in a 3 speed.

Which isn't to say Seattle isn't as hungry next year, takes the foot off the gas a bit and gets picked off. They were just way too strong and physically whipped the Broncos. They had no idea what hit them.

And I wanna give credit to the Seattle fan base. Denver definitely didn't prepare to go against crowd noise. People familiar with Met Life Stadium said the Seattle fans, even though it was less than half of the people in attendance, made that building louder than in any Jet/Giant game they've been at. You clearly saw it effect the Broncos audibles. You couldn't even hear Manning yell out Omaha.

Bully for you, picking the team 1/2 the people had at the beginning of the year to win the SB...way to go out on a limb.

Seattle wins 6 times tops.  I'm always surprised how NFL fans/ ESPN crowd are so easily swayed by hype.   This "Seattle  (SF) are the greatest teams in the history of the world" non-sense is laughable.   All year long people where (naively) hyping the Broncos as the greatest ever and now it's happening again with the Hawks.   

I'll still take where Denver is heading into next year than 95% of the league 

I'll tell you what...when Manning and a couple receivers are gone, the defense is in full rebuilding mode,  and  MIller has weeded out of the league, THEN you can prattle on about this Denver is light-years behind narrative.

I'm picking a #4 or lower seed to win the SB next year.

I don't think Seattle makes it back next year mainly because I don't think they can stay this healthy next year.

As i said before the NFCCG was the real super bowl and now even Richard Sherman said the same thing lol.

49ers would have done the same thing, probably in different ways.

seahawkslombardi.gif

Wow, Denver was really overmatched.  They had a very poor game as a team. 

Denver just couldn't match up with the physicality of Seattle's defense.  The NFC West is far and away the best division.  If Arizona snuck into the playoffs, it would have been really interesting to see what would have happened as Arizona would have been a better matchup than New Orleans.  NFC West defenses are absolutely brutal.  The saying "iron sharpens iron," comes to mind.  The Superbowl was Seattle vs. San Francisco.  The finesse team lost to the physical team.  Looking back at it, Peyton could not outsmart the Seattle defense.  Seattle's defensive scheme is not very complex.  There was nothing to outsmart.  They get solid coaching and execute their assignments very well.  Once their vaunted passing game could not match the Seattle zone defense early on, the game was over.

Now that the season's over all we have are power rankings.  The NFC is so far ahead of the AFC.  I'd say there is an actual gap now versus in the past how there wasn't much of a difference.  It hurts knowing the Niners lost to the evenutal Superbowl champs for the past 3 years in a row now.  They're becoming the modern day Buffalo Bills. 

No, not the Bills. Early 90's Niners. They just need a Dion Sanders type player to put them over the hump.

Bully for you, picking the team 1/2 the people had at the beginning of the year to win the SB...way to go out on a limb.

Seattle wins 6 times tops. I'm always surprised how NFL fans/ ESPN crowd are so easily swayed by hype. This "Seattle (SF) are the greatest teams in the history of the world" non-sense is laughable. All year long people where (naively) hyping the Broncos as the greatest ever and now it's happening again with the Hawks.

I'll still take where Denver is heading into next year than 95% of the league

I'll tell you what...when Manning and a couple receivers are gone, the defense is in full rebuilding mode, and MIller has weeded out of the league, THEN you can prattle on about this Denver is light-years behind narrative.
First off, you don't know anything about me. I don't watch Sportscenter so count me out of the ESPN crowd. What I do watch is every single NFL game. This game was incredibly easy to call. I'm sorry, keep telling yourself San Fran and Seattle aren't the best teams. That's why San Fran has been to three straight title games and they represented the NFC two years in a row.

I wasn't calling the Broncos the best team ever this season. It was all empty pile on stats.

And how could you like the direction of the Broncos over 95% of the league. That's hilarious. The second Peyton retires in 1-2 years, they are back to middling. And they won't win anything before that anyway.

CBS will broadcast eight Thursday night games early next season, which will be simulcast on NFL Network. NFL Network will air an additional eight games (6 Thursday/2 Saturday) in the second half of the season.

The more you read about the transit nightmare getting to and leaving the game, the more you realize the NFL and NJ Transit really just screwed up on an embarrassing level. And for the most part, at least from some outlets, I think the NFL has escaped taking it's fair share of the blame. NJ Transit clearly misled everyone involved concerning what they could and could not handle, but wasn't that the NFL's job to verify? I also think the NFL became way too obsessed with marketing this as a "mass transit Super Bowl," when they had a rail system that had never once handled that kind of volume.

Pretty soon they'll be playing football every night of the week.
If you're really into all types of football and don't just watch professional, we're almost already there.
Thursday-NFL
Friday-high school (most)
Saturday-college
Sunday-NFL
Monday-NFL

Tuesday and Wednesday are the only ones missing at this point (peewee games maybe?)

bread's done
Back