The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Could be IP address related. Maybe try your phone on mobile data not on Wi-Fi in an incognito browser and see if that works

Sadly that didn't work either. I suspect it's tied to my account somehow. All I did was trade in 4 games on Tuesday, for the first time in a few months. Not sure how it would trigger some type of checkout error though.

Did that too. I've tried, PC, laptop, and phone.
Thought about checking out as a guest but I only see the create a new account option. So they've gotten rid of (or never had) guest checkout online?

Sadly that didn't work either. I suspect it's tied to my account somehow. All I did was trade in 4 games on Tuesday, for the first time in a few months. Not sure how it would trigger some type of checkout error though.
I definitely had this issue at some point. Instead of hitting checkout, try hitting the PayPal option, and if you have a PayPal account login and select as payment. It should drop you in the final checkout screen, but don't submit it, here you can change the payment method from PayPal to whatever you want to pay with. Hope that works

I definitely had this issue at some point. Instead of hitting checkout, try hitting the PayPal option, and if you have a PayPal account login and select as payment. It should drop you in the final checkout screen, but don't submit it, here you can change the payment method from PayPal to whatever you want to pay with. Hope that works

That worked. But only if I don't want to use TIC. Thanks for that. Guess the TIC will be used in store.

As an aside, anyone know if TIC can be used on Hulu cards? Or did that go away when they stopped gas/amazon/etc cards?

That worked. But only if I don't want to use TIC. Thanks for that. Guess the TIC will be used in store.

As an aside, anyone know if TIC can be used on Hulu cards? Or did that go away when they stopped gas/amazon/etc cards?
I believe you can still use trade in credit at checkout, don't feel like going through the motions of it to find out how again, but I think you just need to go back a step in the checkout process after using the PayPal work around, or maybe it was by doing all this in the app. Can't remember but definitely was able to change payment to store credit in the past when I did this.

99% sure it can't be used on hulu, but haven't tried anything outside of gaming currency in a long time.

Any idea what causes this issue, or just GameStop being GameStop? I’ve had this happen before too, but was able to check out fine with PayPal only. It comes and goes.

I believe you can still use trade in credit at checkout, don't feel like going through the motions of it to find out how again, but I think you just need to go back a step in the checkout process after using the PayPal work around, or maybe it was by doing all this in the app. Can't remember but definitely was able to change payment to store credit in the past when I did this.

99% sure it can't be used on hulu, but haven't tried anything outside of gaming currency in a long time.
correct gaming currency only, Hulu would not work.

3rd day in a row with this glitch when I click "Proceed to checkout".

I contacted support but they said the typical clear cache/try different browsers bullshit that I had already tried.

I guess Gamestop doesn't want me to buy online anymore. Could this be some weird of temp ban? I didn't do anything to trigger it but at a loss on what is causing it.
Could be online purchasing ban. I have a few online accounts that are unable to checkout.

The message I received was a bit different it reference a payment error and to contact their 1-800 #.

Well day 4 is weird. I can now check out fine with actual physical games, but if I add an eshop card to the cart (or by itself) I get that error again.

Well day 4 is weird. I can now check out fine with actual physical games, but if I add an eshop card to the cart (or by itself) I get that error again.
If I were you, I wouldn't use eShop or TIV cards for online purchases at GS. In case you end up returning in-store, it might be a hassle since they treat them like gift cards. Not as seamless as when using credit cards. Plus, you'd get PayPal protection if you take that route. Up to you.

If I were you, I wouldn't use eShop or TIV cards for online purchases at GS. In case you end up returning in-store, it might be a hassle since they treat them like gift cards. Not as seamless as when using credit cards. Plus, you'd get PayPal protection if you take that route. Up to you.

Eshop cards are 5% off if you buy online. I've bought them before without probs but for whatever reason it's giving me that error screen now. No worries.

Ordered Pokémon sword + expansion online and it it came CIB. Went to the store today and found Xmen origins Wolverine for Xbox 360 for $12 CIB. Think I need to buy a lottery ticket tn

Ordered Pokémon sword + expansion online and it it came CIB. Went to the store today and found Xmen origins Wolverine for Xbox 360 for $12 CIB. Think I need to buy a lottery ticket tn
I think I one-upped you. I might've gotten a free Spider-Man 2 PS5 Slim bundle for free due to the employee forgetting to mark my online order as "picked up" the other day. Now the order on my account is saying "Return initiated".

I think I one-upped you. I might've gotten a free Spider-Man 2 PS5 Slim bundle for free due to the employee forgetting to mark my online order as "picked up" the other day. Now the order on my account is saying "Return initiated".
Damn. Can’t compete with that. Hopefully you don’t buy a ticket for the same lottery! Congrats tho!!

GameStop now shows a banner of $10 off $100 or $25 off $250 in store or buy online pick up in store.
$10 off $100 is much less consumer predatory than the previous one. Honestly, was getting sick and tired of seeing 25OFF250 for the past several months...at least now GSAs can't sneak in "free" Pro subs.
Here's to hoping for more 50% trade in specials or $5 boosts later this month or next
Major trade boosts seem to roll around every three months or so. I recall August, November, and the most recent one.

I also remember the 5OFF20. That was a golden promo.

[Edit]
Playstation is currently offering one month of PS+ at discounted rates:
Essentials 5.99
Extra 8.99
Premium 10.79

PSN promo ends in 3 days.

Last edited:
Do gamestop have monkey's working for them. I didn't receive one of my game from my order and it's been two weeks and they need more time to investigate. I just want a refund for the missing game is all. I won't be missing gamestop when it's gone that's for sure.

Do gamestop have monkey's working for them. I didn't receive one of my game from my order and it's been two weeks and they need more time to investigate. I just want a refund for the missing game is all. I won't be missing gamestop when it's gone that's for sure.
A chargeback should light a fire on their tails. Do you remember ThinkGeek? R.I.P. monkey mascot.

They are probably going to ban your account for daring to get a refund

A chargeback should light a fire on their tails. Do you remember ThinkGeek? R.I.P. monkey mascot.
Someone hacked my (secondary no longer used) account and bought a doordash gift card. Guess that’s what I get for having CC info saved on their garbage site. Did a chargeback. Now that CC gets an error on my main account if I try to use it lol

They are probably going to ban your account for daring to get a refund
At that point, double down on the chargeback since LP rendered your Pro account unusable even tho you still have X amount of months left before resubbing (turn off auto-renewal).
Someone hacked my (secondary no longer used) account and bought a doordash gift card. Guess that’s what I get for having CC info saved on their garbage site. Did a chargeback. Now that CC gets an error on my main account if I try to use it lol
And that is why PayPal is a good thing moreso because you have within 180 days to file any disputes.

A kind PSA reminder:

Tomorrow (3/20) is the deadline to sub to one month of PS+ for less than $10 (then expire on 4/20 lol). Those that already have PS+ can also take advantage of the promo but will have their extra month prorated depending on your current tier sub if I'm not mistaken.

A kind PSA reminder:

Tomorrow (3/20) is the deadline to sub to one month of PS+ for less than $10 (then expire on 4/20 lol). Those that already have PS+ can also take advantage of the promo but will have their extra month prorated depending on your current tier sub if I'm not mistaken.
Where at?

I don’t like VR, so not a big deal to me, but I read Sony is working on making PSVR2 PC compatible. They messed up and got greedy, not doing that to start. They still have a pretty big competitive advantage if they were the PC and Playstation headset, and as long as there is a market for VR, I don’t think it’s too late for them to win it if they offer that. Would probably take years to turn around at this point, but I don’t think they are dropping this as quick as the Vita, atleast not yet. They invested a lot into R & D, are the only of the big 3 game companies to do so, and there are still plenty of people with pocket books banking on VR being the future.

I don’t like VR, so not a big deal to me, but I read Sony is working on making PSVR2 PC compatible. They messed up and got greedy, not doing that to start. They still have a pretty big competitive advantage if they were the PC and Playstation headset, and as long as there is a market for VR, I don’t think it’s too late for them to win it if they offer that. Would probably take years to turn around at this point, but I don’t think they are dropping this as quick as the Vita, atleast not yet. They invested a lot into R & D, are the only of the big 3 game companies to do so, and there are still plenty of people with pocket books banking on VR being the future.

They shot themselves i nthe foot not trying to make this happy in the first palce along with it not being compatiable with their previous VR1 titles.

Could you imagine this connected to the Steam Deck?

They shot themselves i nthe foot not trying to make this happy in the first palce along with it not being compatiable with their previous VR1 titles.

Could you imagine this connected to the Steam Deck?

Yep, as soon as I saw that, cancelled my preorder and can't see myself getting it unless it's super cheap... Like $200.
Nope. For that reason and no 3D blu-ray and no 3D YouTube my interest in PSVR2 was killed. Sony's put like the least amount of effort they could in supporting PSVR2, so it's no surprise it's struggling.

I dunno, the Portal seems like it had a lot less effort put into it. And yet, that was a hit for them.

Yep, as soon as I saw that, cancelled my preorder and can't see myself getting it unless it's super cheap... Like $200.

I dunno, the Portal seems like it had a lot less effort put into it. And yet, that was a hit for them.
At that price point, even a gen 1 Switch has more play value than the PSVR2 and Portal combined.

Do trade-in promotions stack with the $10 off $100 promotion? So if I was trading in towards Dragon's Dogma 2 and had another game in the purchase that made the total > $100, would I get the $10 off too?

Do trade-in promotions stack with the $10 off $100 promotion? So if I was trading in towards Dragon's Dogma 2 and had another game in the purchase that made the total > $100, would I get the $10 off too?
Yes. Not really an instance of stacking since one is a trade promo and the other is purchase. Nothing would stop you from two different transactions if for some reason the system doesn't ring both correctly. You would get more pur points from doing separate transactions anyway.

Yes. Not really an instance of stacking since one is a trade promo and the other is purchase. Nothing would stop you from two different transactions if for some reason the system doesn't ring both correctly. You would get more pur points from doing separate transactions anyway.

Oh I'm not sure I follow. How would you get more points in separate transactions?

$10 off $100 is much less consumer predatory than the previous one. Honestly, was getting sick and tired of seeing 25OFF250 for the past several months...at least now GSAs can't sneak in "free" Pro subs.

Major trade boosts seem to roll around every three months or so. I recall August, November, and the most recent one.
Yup you'd be right but excited nontheless

bread's done
Back