The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
When did GameStop stop accepting trade ins of games 6 months or less old? They don’t take the following ps5 games, NFS unbound, NHL 23, and saints row.
Also the update to their back end systems has screwed up their POS & if you get a new employee they’ll deny the trade when it doesn’t scan instead of looking in the system manually for the correct trade value.

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s some weird thing where if they scan a game it might not come up but if they manually search for it, it will come up. Basically, they’re creating an effect where it’s advantageous to trade without the case because it forces the employee to search for it.
The employee both manually searched for, and tried their retail copy of saints row, they said only the ps4 version had a TIV.

I didn’t even bother with the other games because they had no value on the site. Does anyone happen to know NHL 23 or NFS unbound tiv?

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1620472843430404121
Got me. The hackers changed my email address to a non-working one. I can log in with the changed email and original password, but now the email change requires an activation code .... sent to the new, non-working email. :censored: The 800 help line to GameStop is closed down due to high volumes. :wall:

Unlike when this happened on Black Friday and GS claimed it was a test, this time there is an internal employee memo telling employees not to divulge any customer info since some people are calling stores to try to get their email addresses changed. That's according to a comment on the GS subreddit.

Got me. The hackers changed my email address to a non-working one. I can log in with the changed email and original password, but now the email change requires an activation code .... sent to the new, non-working email. :censored: The 800 help line to GameStop is closed down due to high volumes. :wall:
So how did they change it in the first place if you need an activation code sent to the old email??

I checked mine, it was ok. But not like I have many points (I spend as I get them, lol) and my CC is not saved to the site.

I think it might be too late. It seems like they generate a list of accounts that'll receive the next month's coupon just before the end of the month. My account expired on 12/30 but I was issued a coupon for Jan, and when I renewed later in Jan, it became active again.
Did you get 10,000 points or just 5,000?

So how did they change it in the first place if you need an activation code sent to the old email??

I checked mine, it was ok. But not like I have many points (I spend as I get them, lol) and my CC is not saved to the site.
I wonder that myself. Perhaps GS only activated the code process after a lot of people were hit? Seems reasonable. Perhaps the hackers have corresponding email login info, went it, got the code, sent the validation email to trash, went to trash, and hit delete permanently? Seems less reasonable.

That's usually the case at the very last day of the month and why it is recommended to use the coupon ASAP.
I had my January coupon in my cart when I checked out earlier, but now I'm feeling paranoid that it swapped it out for my February one. Not seeing my February coupon yet, but usually I don't get an email about it being loaded til a few days after the first. guess I'll give it til the 5th or so and see if it shows up, then email CS if not.

I ended up redeeming points for an in-store PRO renewal, and I got 5000. Other people mentioned similar stories of getting 5000 pts in store. Online where you have to pay with CC people were getting 10000.
I was hoping they would distinguish joining again after your membership expired already as a new enrollment and give you 10,000 points while a renewal one while your membership is still active only gives 5,000. So I guess there's no way to renew again online using points?

I tried to change my password on the website and was getting an error message. I was able to change my password on the app no problem. I think my points balance is different though. Where do I check how it was redeemed? Oh and my 5$ monthly coupon is already in my account.

I've had 100 in psn credit redeemed on a previous breach. Logged in and changed my password just in case.

I tried to change my password on the website and was getting an error message. I was able to change my password on the app no problem. I think my points balance is different though. Where do I check how it was redeemed? Oh and my 5$ monthly coupon is already in my account.
Under "Rewards activity", it lists any changes to point totals and how they have been spent.

Separately, if free Powerup Accounts no longer give any points for purchases, what benefit is there in actually having one? Isn't there literally no worthwhile difference between using a free account and not using one at all except having a record of your purchases?

Logged into one of my pro accounts, and it says I’m a player member now. I know for sure that it wasn’t supposed to expire until October. Has anyone experienced this before?

Logged into one of my pro accounts, and it says I’m a player member now. I know for sure that it wasn’t supposed to expire until October. Has anyone experienced this before?
Happened to one of my pro accounts as well. I havent contacted customer service yet.

3 of 4 of my accounts had same issue, were extended more than 12 months and now just say regular member. I really didn’t hide it, I used same name and address. I think they may have either cracked down on multiple accounts finally or the double dips?

Under "Rewards activity", it lists any changes to point totals and how they have been spent.

Separately, if free Powerup Accounts no longer give any points for purchases, what benefit is there in actually having one? Isn't there literally no worthwhile difference between using a free account and not using one at all except having a record of your purchases?
free accounts are literally just for tracking now, they're useless

3 of 4 of my accounts had same issue, were extended more than 12 months and now just say regular member. I really didn’t hide it, I used same name and address. I think they may have either cracked down on multiple accounts finally or the double dips?
verify in store, website is frequently wrong and shows this when having issues

I was hoping they would distinguish joining again after your membership expired already as a new enrollment and give you 10,000 points while a renewal one while your membership is still active only gives 5,000. So I guess there's no way to renew again online using points?
it's only supposed to be 10k when making a brand new account. if you renew, even an expired account, it's always supposed to be 5k both in store and online, anything other than that is a glitch.

I also had my main account get killed down to the base membership last month.  I found this out while doing a trade in mid-January where the employee told me there was something weird going on with my account that he hadn't seen before.  Haven't contacted CS, and assumed it was either a ban or crackdown.  Pretty terrible to do that considering there could easily be instances where multiple people had accounts registered to the same address

I just signed up for the pro account. I have seen people say you can use the $5 rewards in store AND THEN online as well, essentially double dipping. Does this also work with the $10 sign up bonus? Can I turn it into cash in store and then also get $10 online? thanks.

I just signed up for the pro account. I have seen people say you can use the $5 rewards in store AND THEN online as well, essentially double dipping. Does this also work with the $10 sign up bonus? Can I turn it into cash in store and then also get $10 online? thanks.
No. The sign up points you decide which rewards you want to redeem for - online or in store. No double dipping.

I don’t know if this is the Gamestop breach, but I got an alert from Capital one’s Creditwise that my email was on the dark web yesterday (1/31). It was the email I used on my GameStop account. 

Very odd that some games are still not listed in the trade section, but are completely trade-able. I traded both Goat Sim 3 and Sonic Frontiers for Xbox yesterday, no issues.

I also had my main account get killed down to the base membership last month. I found this out while doing a trade in mid-January where the employee told me there was something weird going on with my account that he hadn't seen before. Haven't contacted CS, and assumed it was either a ban or crackdown. Pretty terrible to do that considering there could easily be instances where multiple people had accounts registered to the same address

Make sure to cash out your points if your account becomes a regular account (when they ban it) took them like 2 days to do it on one of my multiple accounts and made it zero points (it had 10k in points ). The other two where I cashed out right away now have -15k and -14k points.

Yeah I checked that on the app last night and nothing was there. Will check the website. I swear Gamestop and Firefox do not get along. Kept getting the same error as yesterday and so I used Chrome and everything worked. It doesn't show any of my points being used so I just misremembered my total. I didn't get hacked or glitched luckily.

Got $35.20 for Wii Fit U and $64 for Mario 3D AllStars.
Redeemed points for $25 in store certificate and combined with my $5 monthly coupon to get a $30 Xbox card for nothing. Then, from the website got $10 eShop with $5 trade credit and monthly coupon.

I just go to gamestop to try use my monthly coupon on the $5 xbox credit and it failed.   I then try a physcial $10 osn credit and it work.  

So they just disallow free/free $5 xbox credit? Bummer but $5 for 10 is still good.
they removed the $5 xbox/nintendo last month, xbox took a little longer than nintendo to disappear but stores were told to stop selling both immediately.

they removed the $5 xbox/nintendo last month, xbox took a little longer than nintendo to disappear but stores were told to stop selling both immediately.
DearScalyGardensnake-size_restricted.gif

bread's done
Back