The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
I’ve been sick for like a week but had to chance to finish Dead Space. Is there a trade in promo for games right now? Looking to trade it in for Resident Evil 4.

I’ve been sick for like a week but had to chance to finish Dead Space. Is there a trade in promo for games right now? Looking to trade it in for Resident Evil 4.
Trading towards Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe yesterday triggered the 20% bonus (30% total bonus w/ Pro) on games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a local copy of Links Awakening, Guy said he wouldn't price match because the game wasn't in stock online. Never heard that before.

I found a local copy of Links Awakening, Guy said he wouldn't price match because the game wasn't in stock online. Never heard that before.
So when you went to the GameStop website and looked for a used copy of Link's Awakening, it said that all stores in your area didn't have it in stock when in fact you were standing in the store and they had a used copy in stock?

I never heard that either. The very fact that you went into the store and found the game is proof that the website is not reliable. Otherwise you would have been able to do the 'buy online pick up in store' in option through the website at the advertised price. No price match would have even been necessary.

So when you went to the GameStop website and looked for a used copy of Link's Awakening, it said that all stores in your area didn't have it in stock when in fact you were standing in the store and they had a used copy in stock?
Yeah, he said it had to be in stock. I said "it is in stock, it's in my hand", but I just got the shrug. I've been able to PM online prices with clearance games that were OOS online at my local store these past couple months, but was out of town this time and I only wanted it to burn my $5 and flip it. So not really worth the struggle.

Is it possible that GameStop really puts used games as new? I know we say they are gutted and whatnot, and that they open the cases but the discs are not used. However, I just came to this crazy realization today after seeing a copy of DNF Duel that I think I traded in... Hear me out.

A few months ago when they had DNF Duel for $5 used on PS5, I was able to snag a copy and trade it in to another GameStop for over $20. The next day I went to rebuy it because (being a CAG) I was going to trade it back in to another GameStop. However, it was sold out and they had a single new copy. Here's the crazy thing, I remember browsing the GameStop and they never had a new copy the day before. There is no way in hell that they get one new copy and the used copy sold out within 24 hours.

I can't believe it took me months to realize this. How does the GameStop system work, is it really possible to convert the used game to new like I'm imagining it happened?

Do Pokemon cards not work either? I had some in stock that I wanted but it won't apply.
Which item are you looking at exactly? From what I've read in the previous pages, digital doesn't work but I'm not aware of any other restrictions. Still needs to be $5.01 or higher.

Is it possible that GameStop really puts used games as new? I know we say they are gutted and whatnot, and that they open the cases but the discs are not used. However, I just came to this crazy realization today after seeing a copy of DNF Duel that I think I traded in... Hear me out.

A few months ago when they had DNF Duel for $5 used on PS5, I was able to snag a copy and trade it in to another GameStop for over $20. The next day I went to rebuy it because (being a CAG) I was going to trade it back in to another GameStop. However, it was sold out and they had a single new copy. Here's the crazy thing, I remember browsing the GameStop and they never had a new copy the day before. There is no way in hell that they get one new copy and the used copy sold out within 24 hours.

I can't believe it took me months to realize this. How does the GameStop system work, is it really possible to convert the used game to new like I'm imagining it happened?
they get shipments of "new" games from warehouse sometimes. stores have infinite used pristine copies of gta v because it still sells so damn well
the employees themselves can sign out games to take home to play also

selling gutted games is already ultimate grey area, so dont put anything past them.

unless its sealed just assume the worst and dont buy it if it bothers you

They wouldn't. From an accounting standpoint they make LESS money if they sell it as new, there's 0 incentive for them to do that.

When you sell new it's kept on the books at cost of goods sold for what a new one would cost. New costs less than preowned obviously so it's less margin. Faking this would get audited superrrrr hard.

Don't head into stores today. Customer lookup is down, which means they won't be able to pull up your accounts, use coupons, points, etc. Maybe it'll be fixed by evening, who knows.

Sad to read double dip is dead.

I was thinking of trading in my OG Switch since I never play it. When I bring up the trade in page, that model Switch and several other Switch games say they are no longer eligible for trade in. Glitch, or did they just stop taking in a bunch of stuff?

I was thinking of trading in my OG Switch since I never play it. When I bring up the trade in page, that model Switch and several other Switch games say they are no longer eligible for trade in. Glitch, or did they just stop taking in a bunch of stuff?
Website is borked for trades. Call or go by a store & ask but say you went to the website first but you couldn’t find the value for the original Switch. It’s getting a $20 credit bonus through end of March.

Mission accomplished. $130 for an OG Switch really not that bad now with the OLED Switch out for some time and some folks switching to the Steam deck.

Mission accomplished. $130 for an OG Switch really not that bad now with the OLED Switch out for some time and some folks switching to the Steam deck.
I'm still using my OG switch, even after getting a steamdeck. I plan on upgrading to the Zelda OLED if I can get one before it sells out. Haven't had a good enough reason to upgrade before, but I can't resist the Zelda OLED.

You must've missed the memo. Nothing digital works, physical items only. :cry:
I think Everytime I read it, the topic was on digital store currency, not a dlc purchase. I figured something like the expansion pass would be a little different.

As a side note, I was able to use my reward in store on the digital code for Breath of the Wild Expansion dlc when it was on sale for 14, and it brought it down to 9 bucks!

Sorry for the question, but before I head to the store, does the 5 dollar monthly thing work on eshop credit in store?  I completely understand double dipping no longer works, but very confused if I can go in and buy eshop credit with it in store.

Thanks so much.

Anyone know if the 20% extra trade in bonus is still working for the new Kirby game?  or is it working for any other games that have not come out yet?

Last I saw this was mentioned was a few days ago, so not sure if anything changed since then.

Nintendo seem to had screwed the release of Prime remastered. Stores in a 10 mile radius received no copies.
Did Nintendo mess up or did GameStop? My local GameStops did not get it but Target, Walmart, Best Buy, and even Meijer got it.

I live in NYC and the stores you mentioned didn’t have any and what about Amazon? Is that GameStop fault too?
Amazon rarely ships video games by release date.

I ordered from Target during the small window where it qualified for the B1g50% off. It shipped a couple of days ago.

bread's done
Back