The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
I haven't personally confirmed these but I've heard these are eligible:

WWE2K23
RE4
MLB The Show 23
Star Wars Jedi Survivor
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
Street Fighter 6
Diablo IV
Final Fantasy XVI

Lmao I wanted to pre order instore but ended up ordering online. I learned my lesson pre ordering instore at gs lately. They didn’t even have Wo long pre orders instore
Now an updated tweet from Wario64 says that a portion of online orders aren’t going to get fulfilled either.
So there’s that.

Customers with an affected CE reservation can roll their reservation to standard edition with a $10 discount

Lol. GameStop gonna Gamestop.

Putting aside all the crap that Gamestop does on a regular basis, I think the bare minimum expectation of a company is that you will actually get the product that you order.

I’ve got a question. Do stores not get/have some editions of games for preorder? I went to a nearby store today and wanted to pre-order WWE 2K23 deluxe edition for Series X. The associate said they’re not taking preorders for it and only the standard edition is available. I was able to preorder MLB The Show 23 The Captain edition PS5 without issue.

Seems it was nuked… I didn’t get a chance to try for February because it was when I renewed and ended up using it in store, but January worked fine. I can’t use it for psn or eShop for March rewards. Lame.

Seems it was nuked… I didn’t get a chance to try for February because it was when I renewed and ended up using it in store, but January worked fine. I can’t use it for psn or eShop for March rewards. Lame.
Curious about this as well, last month I could do so but not this month...
Can rewards points still be used on the website for digital currency or did they nuke that as well?
Reward points and the monthly coupon no longer work online towards digital currency. You have to go in store now it seems.

If you look at the fine print when you redeem a reward certificate for in store or online in the reward center, the online one now has this fine print added to it:

PowerUp Rewards Members Save $1 Off One Single In-Stock Item. Discount awarded on most expensive item. Online only. Cannot be used on GameStop gift cards, 3rd party gift cards, select downloadable content, Pro membership, or reservations. Other exclusions may apply.
In store's fine print doesn't say anything about not working on 3rd party gift cards

I’ve got a question. Do stores not get/have some editions of games for preorder? I went to a nearby store today and wanted to pre-order WWE 2K23 deluxe edition for Series X. The associate said they’re not taking preorders for it and only the standard edition is available. I was able to preorder MLB The Show 23 The Captain edition PS5 without issue.
The WWE deluxe edition closed for pre-orders on Monday. Similar timeframe with Hogwart's Deluxe edition closing on the Monday of release week also. The copies ship to stores early, and they have to finalize allocation ahead of time so closing pre-orders made sense for editions that aren't generally restock after launch (special editions, deluxe etc). Of course sometimes they may be closed even earlier if the demand is much higher. MLB The Show 23's Captain Edition is still weeks away, but will probably close closer to release week if not earlier if the company hits capacity on it's allocation for that product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reward points and the monthly coupon no longer work online towards digital currency. You have to go in store now it seems.

If you look at the fine print when you redeem a reward certificate for in store or online in the reward center, the online one now has this fine print added to it:

In store's fine print doesn't say anything about not working on 3rd party gift cards

The WWE deluxe edition closed for pre-orders on Monday. Similar timeframe with Hogwart's Deluxe edition closing on the Monday of release week also. The copies ship to stores early, and they have to finalize allocation ahead of time so closing pre-orders made sense for editions that aren't generally restock after launch (special editions, deluxe etc). Of course sometimes they may be closed even earlier if the demand is much higher. MLB The Show 23's Captain Edition is still weeks away, but will probably close closer to release week if not earlier if the company hits capacity on it's allocation for that product.
Thanks for the info. I should remember the old adage “you snooze, you lose.” My best chance now is to trade a few controllers and preorder online it seems. Thankful that I got MLB TS 23 Captain Edition preordered in time.

Thanks, I would think that it is illegal to update your terms of service without explicit consent from users... joining their program is useless now.

Thanks, I would think that it is illegal to update your terms of service without explicit consent from users... joining their program is useless now.
If this were true, all business would come to a standstill. You can update your tos at any time as long as the update isn’t illegal.

at this point every time i go im surprised the location is still there and that they have any games in stock at all

GS will cut off special editions, & standard editions of niche titles, from preorder at 1 week before release, if not sooner.

at this point every time i go im surprised the location is still there and that they have any games in stock at all
I went to gamestop for the first time in awhile about a month ago and it looks sad. One employee working all alone in an empty store. Hardly any games, a couple t shirt racks and some funko pops.

I went to gamestop for the first time in awhile about a month ago and it looks sad. One employee working all alone in an empty store. Hardly any games, a couple t shirt racks and some funko pops.
Did you hear that now they sell open game cases as 'new' ? It's crazy.

Have done a few rounds of controller trades the 20% bonus either includes your 10% pro already or they dropped a bunch of trade values. I was getting the same for joy cons before the bonus as I do with it, they did this too with the console $40 promo, they dropped all the values the day after it started the exact amount of the bonus.

Is double dip fully dead? I tried to apply my coupon to a cart of hogwarts legacy at full price and i get a message that the coupon can't be applied

Can anyone confirm if trading in the new Kirby is possible? I went to check on the value on the website and it literally says ineligible for some reason?

Can anyone confirm if trading in the new Kirby is possible? I went to check on the value on the website and it literally says ineligible for some reason?
When a new game doesn't have a used listing it shows this way on the trade side for whatever reason. You can definitely trade it in, not sure on the value though.

I went to GameStop yesterday to trade in some games and get the 30% bonus towards a preorder. I asked if they had it for Zelda Tears Of The Kingdom and Final Fantasy 16. The employee didn’t know but tried both and had to scan a game I was trading in to see if they qualified (by the trade in price showing an extra 30%) and sure enough neither did. He obviously didn’t know the promotion details. He said it must’ve expired. When the employees don’t even know their promotions, its a pretty bad look for lack of communication from corporate and management . 

I asked is there any way to know when and if they will qualify, and was told yes it should be advertised on the website if and when they will. 

I went to GameStop yesterday to trade in some games and get the 30% bonus towards a preorder. I asked if they had it for Zelda Tears Of The Kingdom and Final Fantasy 16. The employee didn’t know but tried both and had to scan a game I was trading in to see if they qualified (by the trade in price showing an extra 30%) and sure enough neither did. He obviously didn’t know the promotion details. He said it must’ve expired. When the employees don’t even know their promotions, its a pretty bad look for lack of communication from corporate and management .

I asked is there any way to know when and if they will qualify, and was told yes it should be advertised on the website if and when they will.
I’ve had the same results at 2 of the gamestops near me. I only goto one now, for whatever reason the 2 gamestops nearest to me get new employees it seems every week. They never know how to do anything and always have to call there manager. The manager tells them I need to call corporate for assistance with things. Pretty ridiculous.

I’ve had the same results at 2 of the gamestops near me. I only goto one now, for whatever reason the 2 gamestops nearest to me get new employees it seems every week. They never know how to do anything and always have to call there manager. The manager tells them I need to call corporate for assistance with things. Pretty ridiculous.
I believe some of the current games that work for the 30% power trade bonus are

• WWE 2K23
  • Resident Evil 4
  • MLB 23 The Show
  • Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
Final Fantasy and Zelda will be part of the deal as the release date draws closer.

As for the employees not knowing anything, its pretty common right now. Stores are losing good employees, and the training there is laughable. It's basically just learn as you go because the company doesn't provide proper hours for training and coverage. The easiest way to look up what games qualify would be to ask the employee if you can see their "Reservation Manager" app (Red R icon) on their store tablet. Basically it's a app employees are suppose to use to show guests trailers and what games are coming out.

Once the app is open, there is a link on the first row that will show "Power Trade Offer" and the games shown from there are the ones that qualify. Just say you want to pre-order some games and you were in another store and they had used that app on their tablet. That way it doesn't make it awkard you know all this if the employees doesn't know about it.

Picked up Mario kart (yay revision 4 -http://www.benoitren.be/switch-cartridgerevisions.html )for $35 after coupon. Asked about Mario freebies as Nintendo advertised but they were confused and just pointed to the Switch bundle.
The freebies may have been only select locations? The store I shop at got the standees for the Mario characters, but I don't know if they got anything else, but I haven't been there since Monday.

The freebies may have been only select locations? The store I shop at got the standees for the Mario characters, but I don't know if they got anything else, but I haven't been there since Monday.
Ughh, just learned about this through your post. Would have liked to pickup some free Mario stuff. Anyone know what was available? I couldn’t find much info online. What were the standees? Just some foldout paper things?

they had full size standees in store for the characters, they werent giveaways

it was VERY select locations, most stores had nothing

I wish I could delete every mention of the $5 monthly in this thread. Maybe Find something it works on or fuck off.

DIgital = No
Concurrent Promo on the product page = No
Talking about what the $5 coupon works on is like one of 2-3 things worth talking about in this thread.

If PUR Pro goes away all together, this website isn't far behind.

Did GS stop doing surveys at the end of Feb? I went to complete one and the tellgamestop.com site directed me to contact GS customer service? 

Did GS stop doing surveys at the end of Feb? I went to complete one and the tellgamestop.com site directed me to contact GS customer service?
Thank you for shopping with GameStop.

As of 2.28.23, GameStop requests that you contact GameStop Customer Service at [email protected] for any customer service issues.
** LOL ** I just purchased something on Saturday and still had the survey request. Just typical GameStop!

That's correct, survey is gone.  That being said it hasn't done anything since last September really anyways, store's didn't even see it.

The kicker to all of this? I called 'corporate' for a missing shipment from them a few weeks back. The day I called the phone system had an automated message that stated "we are extremely busy at this time, please call back tomorrow" and IT HUNG UP ON ME! This was a midday afternoon.

The kicker to all of this? I called 'corporate' for a missing shipment from them a few weeks back. The day I called the phone system had an automated message that stated "we are extremely busy at this time, please call back tomorrow" and IT HUNG UP ON ME! This was a midday afternoon.
I had the same results. Thankfully one of the gamestops I frequent at the employees all know me, it seems like they’re the only ones who can keep the same people staffed. I still honestly feel like a lot more GameStops will be closed by the end of the year at this rate.

I had the same results. Thankfully one of the gamestops I frequent at the employees all know me, it seems like they’re the only ones who can keep the same people staffed. I still honestly feel like a lot more GameStops will be closed by the end of the year at this rate.
The store near me had a great SL who they forced into a SL2. She used to have time to chat about games when you were shopping.

Now she’s almost never in the store I frequent and when she she is, she is busy and can’t even look up to say hi. It’s like the sucked the joy she had from the job out of her. I don’t doubt she will burn out before long.

So I bought the new Edge controller and after using it for two days, it's making a really bad vibrating sound like it's defective.  How easy is it to return back to gamestop?  

bread's done
Back