The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Fair enough though I think calling something that doesn't fit in any of my pockets a portable is a stretch, but regardless you point stands- it can't be fairly compared to anything.

I dunno, the DC was a fairly normal-ish console I thought; the VMU being the one unique thing about it, which was pretty cool. The GameCube though, with its controller design, mini-disc format and handle was something else- that controller though did make me raise my eyebrow until I actually used it, game-changer... and then the Wavebird came out and it was like whole new levels of awesomeness.
Yeah it was just the naming back then. When I first saw and heard about the Xbox, I was like what? They just put on x on a box and called it an Xbox? I knew nothing about other consoles aside from what I grew up using (what mommy or daddy bought) lol; OG NES, Super Nintendo, Sega, OG PS, PS2, ps3

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought GameCube and Dreamcast were weird and silly the time they came out so I never got to own one lol. It was kinda like hearing about the Soulja boy console for me at the time.
The GC was awesome. That was probably Nintendo's best all around system. Great controller, good specs, all their big franchises had some of their best entries.

you can rail against Nintendo and their old tech all you want but you're missing out on some gems.
That may be true. My PS5 and new gaming PC backlog will keep me occupied for a decade at least. Plus I can never suffer and punish myself to play 'new' games in 2023 at 10 fps. I'm looking at you pokemon...

One of my buy 1 get 1 free orders from last month shipped out just the free game and charged me $3 and no sign of the other game which should charge me $60 when shipped.  For some reason that order isn't even in my order history and can't seem to track it with the order number on the receipt. Do they usually eventually complete these orders or did I end up with an almost free game?

I feel like I'm the only one who didn't like the gamecube controller. It would have been fine, but I despise the button placement, having a giant button in the middle then tiny buttons around it. That has always been an issue for me.

I like my switch a lot. Is it underpowered? obviously. Do some games look/perform terrible? Absolutely. Yet there are still games that look great and perform well despite the hardware limitations. Even if it might not be "fit in your pocket" portable, I think there's still value and appeal of it being handheld. It's nice to lay on the couch with the TV on and play some games. That being said, it's been a long time since release and now the steam deck is kind of in the same category with better specs, so yes I think it is time for a "Switch 2". And personally if I had to choose between a Switch 2 or a more powerful TV-only Nintendo console, I'd go with the Switch 2. 

I signed up for a PRO membership in-store on April 25th. Now May 4th and still have not received my $5 monthly coupon on my account. How long should I give it before reaching out to Gamestop support?

I signed up for a PRO membership in-store on April 25th. Now May 4th and still have not received my $5 monthly coupon on my account. How long should I give it before reaching out to Gamestop support?
download the GameStop app and sign in. then check if u see the coupon. thats how i get the coupon. i never receive any emails from them.

I feel like I'm the only one who didn't like the gamecube controller. It would have been fine, but I despise the button placement, having a giant button in the middle then tiny buttons around it. That has always been an issue for me.
I'm with you. Never got why it's so beloved even after three more generations.

+1

The layout is terrible, it's too small, terribly uncomfortable and the color scheme makes it look like a Sega Pico accessory. That controller kept me away from the Gamecube, to be honest.
I thought the same thing until I used it. Once I held it in my hands it was super comfortable and there was no getting used to its layout. Everything was where you would think it should be. The Nintendo 64, Xbox (both versions), Wii, and Wii U all had MUCH worst controllers than the Game Cube.

I thought the same thing until I used it. Once I held it in my hands it was super comfortable and there was no getting used to its layout. Everything was where you would think it should be. The Nintendo 64, Xbox (both versions), Wii, and Wii U all had MUCH worst controllers than the Game Cube.
Wii U pro controller FTW

Gamecube is fine. If someone think it's too small either then they were using the tinier mini version or they have giant hands.

The only thing I would say it needed is r2 l2 maybe. Compared to the Nintendo pro controller and ps2 or 360 controller which are basically its only competitors that are better.

its supposed to show up around the 6th if you renew last week of the month

The GameCube controller is perfect for the games it's designed around, like Smash Bros, Mario Kart, or Mario Sunshine. But for most other games it's not very good

Wouldn’t really want to go back to using those all the time, but I miss wacky controller shapes and button layouts.  

On another note, does anyone with pro status actually show pro status on their account when they sign in online?  I don’t think I ever have, but I still qualify for pro discounts.  I renewed in store last week but website is still telling me to sign up for pro though, which now has me concerned.

why do you regret buying the switch?

I have skipped this generation of Nintendo console. I’ve owned most and still have a solid 3ds collection. I just can’t support Nintendo making such shoddy hardware with the plastic body, 720p screen, drifting joycons, and 8 year old technology.
For me, hardware comes second to game library and starting with Game Cube I noticed the slack they were giving games, leaning more and more into casual territory. They weren't offering what Sony was putting down so I simply moved on and skipped all the rest of the GC generation, Wii, Wii-U, and maybe 2-3 years into Switch until we decided to open that door again.

Big mistake for us, since Mario Kart felt like a racer on rails, Mario Party was too random with stars, and although we had bought more games to try like Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon, Zelda, etc: I never found any of them calling to me when I had a backlog of more challenging content to play. The wife routinely got bored with games she tried and always went back to whatever she was playing, so last year we finally sold it off--and swore Nintendo off for good.

Nintendo wants to be Disney, and that's fine. For children's content, I'll just take movies and shows instead.

Ten years from now the Switch is going to go down as one of the best, most fondly remembered console systems of all-time.  Head and shoulders above any other recent Nintendo system from this century.  It's that simple. There are only a couple minor issues with its fine aging, going forward. 

Whereas I could write a 3pg essay here in about 10 minutes on why it will be seen as a historical and monumental success.  Future "collectability" is going to be immense.  However, the people whom don't understand those reasons, or don't care, wouldn't really want to listen or learn why. 

Ten years from now the Switch is going to go down as one of the best, most fondly remembered console systems of all-time. Head and shoulders above any other recent Nintendo system from this century. It's that simple. There are only a couple minor issues with its fine aging, going forward.

Whereas I could write a 3pg essay here in about 10 minutes on why it will be seen as a historical and monumental success. Future "collectability" is going to be immense. However, the people that don't understand those reasons wouldn't really want to listen or learn why.
I would listen.
I agree that the switch is great just like gba sp.

For me, hardware comes second to game library and starting with Game Cube I noticed the slack they were giving games, leaning more and more into casual territory. They weren't offering what Sony was putting down so I simply moved on and skipped all the rest of the GC generation, Wii, Wii-U, and maybe 2-3 years into Switch until we decided to open that door again.
I am really, really trying to understand how the Game Cube was "leaning into casual territory."

If you made that argument about the Wii, I'd understand your point of view, but I can't figure out how in the world the Game Cube is Nintendo being "casual."

I agree. Switch will be remembered as perhaps the best console to date.

And I also agree about the collectable games. I'm now about to hit 2000 physical games and there's a large amount of quality compared to shovel ware and yes I do try to play my videogames.

GameCube was the last time Nintendo tried to compete against the other guys and it failed. If you remember the "weakest" console won that gen (PS2). Then Nintendo held back with the Wii and became the leader against 360 and PS3. Wii U, their first HD console, failed again trying to compete with Sony and MS. Nintendo scaled back again with Switch, currently beating PS5 and Series X/S by bucket loads. Hardware doesn't matter especially to Nintendo if they keep winning.

GameCube was the last time Nintendo tried to compete against the other guys and it failed. If you remember the "weakest" console won that gen (PS2). Then Nintendo held back with the Wii and became the leader against 360 and PS3. Wii U, their first HD console, failed again trying to compete with Sony and MS. Nintendo scaled back again with Switch, currently beating PS5 and Series X/S by bucket loads. Hardware doesn't matter especially to Nintendo if they keep winning.
Of course Switch is outselling the ps5 and series x. It released in the ps4 xbox one window and has a huge headstart (3 years and 8 months)

Of course Switch is outselling the ps5 and series x. It released in the ps4 xbox one window and has a huge headstart (3 years and 8 months)
The point is that it’s still selling well.

Basically not every gamer cares about MAX POWER!

I have a series x and I still play my switch more.

The point is that it’s still selling well.

Basically not every gamer cares about MAX POWER!

I have a series x and I still play my switch more.
if I didn’t overwhelmed or over stimulated by clutter I would have kept my switch. It was pretty cool but I didn’t use it much aside from Mario kart online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if I didn’t overwhelmed or over stimulated by clutter I would have kept my switch. It was pretty cool but I didn’t use it much aside from Mario kart online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
this take is as weird as the whole 60 hour work week shtick, i mean the switch is like the size of one ps5 game case. it is smaller than my phone. you act like you couldn't take a step without tripping over it. I think you said you were a trucker? even if you lived in the truck the switch fits in the glove box. You don't have to justify your reason for getting rid of it.

I only play switch for the exclusives…. I always have it in my head any other console will play the game better
Unless the performance is just terrible, I actually try to get multiplatform games for Switch instead of PS4, for a few reasons. A) I don't play the type of games that need as much power as possible, 2) portability, and iii) I love my Switch controller.

I only play switch for the exclusives…. I always have it in my head any other console will play the game better
Pretty much same here. Figure any game will run better on PS5/XSX than it would on switch

If it’s in all consoles> Xbox
If it’s on PS and Switch> PS
Switch only for exclusives.

If the switch had an achievement/trophy system I’d play it more (personal preference). As it is, I only play 1st party Nintendo games on it, my least favorite of the 3 current systems.

On topic - deepdiscount had MLB the show 23 for switch and Xbox one for like $14 each, they trade it for 27.50 currently on GS after pro bonus

download the GameStop app and sign in. then check if u see the coupon. thats how i get the coupon. i never receive any emails from them.
Yeah, I did that…still don’t see any coupon on my account. Rewards Activity section shows nothing has been awarded to me this month.
its supposed to show up around the 6th if you renew last week of the month
Thanks…Will give it through the weekend before my panic begins. 😀

Is anyone else having issues redeeming PUR points for rewards certificates?

I'm getting a can't verify identity error after inputing the verification code.

Don't know if this is a gamestop issue or my account is flagged/banned.

this take is as weird as the whole 60 hour work week shtick, i mean the switch is like the size of one ps5 game case. it is smaller than my phone. you act like you couldn't take a step without tripping over it. I think you said you were a trucker? even if you lived in the truck the switch fits in the glove box. You don't have to justify your reason for getting rid of it.
How big is your phone?

Rarely use my switch (even less now with Steam Deck), but I appreciate the portability and the simplistic nature of the controls to teach my students when they earn bonus lunch/recess with me (I have a nice flat panel smart board in my room that connects easily).

This is kind of reason why I can never decide if I want the Switch version or the Xbox/PS version.

Unless the performance is just terrible, I actually try to get multiplatform games for Switch instead of PS4, for a few reasons. A) I don't play the type of games that need as much power as possible, 2) portability, and iii) I love my Switch controller.
Yeah, I was thinking 2D games like Sonic Mania, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Cowabunga Collection, and Castlevania Anniversary Collection are good for Switch. I heard The Witcher 3 doesn't run so good on Switch.

Pretty much same here. Figure any game will run better on PS5/XSX than it would on switch

If it’s in all consoles> Xbox
If it’s on PS and Switch> PS
Switch only for exclusives.
Quick Resume is the only reason I lean more on Xbox One, when I finally decide to get an Xbox Series console. Anyone here compare Xbox/PlayStation remote play with Switch titles for titles available on both?

I know it all depends on your Internet provider and mobile phone carrier, but I just want to know if under decent conditions if remote play can compete with Switch gameplay.

I mean, I already have a phone and a generic bluetooth controller already.

I thought the Dreamcast was the coolest looking thing ever when it came out back when i was a 9 year old. I thought the VMU itself was one of the most epic things ever - a whole 'portable' mini screen-based memory card I can take with me anywhere and play game on??? 

Didnt end up getting it until a few years after it died, but a shame it didnt live longer. 

Got a complete NTSC dreamcast set today (except the Sonic Adventure LE). probably my favorite piece of my collection.

I thought the Dreamcast was the coolest looking thing ever when it came out back when i was a 9 year old. I thought the VMU itself was one of the most epic things ever - a whole 'portable' mini screen-based memory card I can take with me anywhere and play game on???

Didnt end up getting it until a few years after it died, but a shame it didnt live longer.

Got a complete NTSC dreamcast set today (except the Sonic Adventure LE). probably my favorite piece of my collection.
Soul Calibur, Powerstone and Marvel Vs Capcom!

The VMU is still unique to this day. The only close comparisons are the other screen on a DS or Wii U. But the VMU still had minigames you could play while not even playing the main game at all.

Would people consider the Switch a home console? I know it is a hybrid console, but it seemed to be 95% handheld and 5% home console. For a home console (dock mode), swapping out games and powering it on and off was not easy. It was meant to replace the 3DS and Wii U at the same time.

I certainly agree trophies can occasionally sway my decision.  The other being if I already played other entries on something.  Like the trails series I started on sony but I did buy the switch versions of 3 and 4 as well as zero to support releases. 

Finally got my monthly $5 PRO coupon after signing up late last month but it says “in store only”. I thought you could also use these online? That’s what I read recently, unless they changed the terms again.

On topic - deepdiscount had MLB the show 23 for switch and Xbox one for like $14 each, they trade it for 27.50 currently on GS after pro bonus
Bought 2 for Switch and traded in 1 for $32.50 (toward Zelda). Also traded in one of the Octopath 2 games that fetched $32.50. Not too shabby.

bread's done
Back