The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
I'm back from pre-ring, confirming:
CE's are available instore. I switched my standard preorder over to a CE.
2/$50 tiv promo is live. I tried adding a third item from the list and saw it ring up with no bonus at all aside from pro.
I saw the store's shipment of cutting boards get opened and the box held maybe ~40-50 total.
When does pre-ring start?

I'd like to get the Tears of the Kingdom Collector's Edition, however, I don't want to go to GameStop at midnight.

I'm back from pre-ring, confirming:
CE's are available instore. I switched my standard preorder over to a CE.
2/$50 tiv promo is live. I tried adding a third item from the list and saw it ring up with no bonus at all aside from pro.
I saw the store's shipment of cutting boards get opened and the box held maybe ~40-50 total.
Same upgraded my pre-order to the CE, got the zelda case and amiibo also. Traded in Sekiro and The Last of Us Part II and got $26.40 for each. Also they were offering half off the gamestop warranty on the game.
What I'm curious to know is what happens if you trade in 4 eligible games towards a standard copy of TotK. Given Gamestop's track record, I'd hope you get $100 (+ 10% Pro of base TIVs).

Just did my pre ring and upgraded to the CE. Also did the trade in promo which worked perfectly. Also got the amiibo because fuck it.

Lets gooooooo that Zelda steelbook will soon be in my hands 😤

The other day my local store said only in store pre orders would get the plaque even though I showed them the site page saying online orders get them

He said they didn’t have enough for every in store pre order but I’ll call again because maybe he was just being a d that day

What I'm curious to know is what happens if you trade in 4 eligible games towards a standard copy of TotK. Given Gamestop's track record, I'd hope you get $100 (+ 10% Pro of base TIVs).
Yes I would like to know this as well...if I can get in today I will take at least 4 games to see if the promo will work in pairs of 2.

Maybe in 5 years
attachicon.gif
11E474EE-28DD-489D-8900-76907A23D342.jpeg
Nice. Hope the scalpers have to scramble to unload their extras.

People buying TotK hoping to resell later are so delusional. This thing is going to be printed in the tens and tens of millions.

Sure feels like retailers were instructed to hold back most of their units for a large physical release on launch day.  I'm interested to learn how many units Gamestop and Target locations have in stock for tomorrow morning. 

You knew something was up when Gamestop tweeted that locations would have at least 4+ collectors editions available.   That never happens. 

Went to gamestop in hopes of getting a collector's edition or pro controller. One store laughed at me, the other store said only if I pre ordered the standard game could I upgrade to the collector's edition, but they closed pre orders and 3pm and wouldn't budge. Also said they had pro controllers too but wouldn't take pre orders or pre-ring for that. Employees seem to be in a pretty bad mood today, probably from all the calls and inquiries. A guy at one store audibly yelled fuck while working with a customer. I am group 8 for the standard edition and they said I would get a wood plaque but I'm doubting it at this point.

Oh yeah, just like the Master Edition of BOTW?
There's a big difference. Hype for Botw wasn't anywhere near what it is for TotK. Remember the Switch was coming off the disastrous Wii U? Even if folks thought BotW would be good - keep in mind it was a Wii U title and it certainly failed to generate any hype and move units then. Nintendo obviously didn't bother printing too many of the most expensive edition.

TotK is a whole different story. CE for this thing is Halo 3 level. It ain't rare in any sense.

But hey, it's obviously your money. Do what makes you happy - whether smart or stupid - doesn't matter. I'm just saying ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have zero interest in sitting on something for years but acting like anything Zelda related won't appreciate in value is either being intentionally obtuse or just uneducated.

It’s a pretty simple collectors edition to reprint/flood
Like fire emblem divine edition and dread special edition

Pro controller should get more reprints too eventually

I have zero interest in sitting on something for years but acting like anything Zelda related won't appreciate in value is either being intentionally obtuse or just uneducated.
Because, you know, buying games - Zelda or whatever - is about appreciating in value ... ugh, I hate the collectibility mumbo-jumbo that consumers are so willing to jump into nowadays, and the publishers who are all so happy to exploit at every turn ...

I'm so done with videogames this generation.

It’s a pretty simple collectors edition to reprint/flood
Like fire emblem divine edition and dread special edition

Pro controller should get more reprints too eventually
I don't think any of those were reprinted... I think the initial allocations just get short-stocked or possibly delayed since many of those were easy to get around/after release. Especially since lead time for some items are much higher than others (for example, I'm sure there's factory that could easily make NS games and a factory to press the steelbooks, but most of the other bonus aren't exactly mass produced regularly).

Trying to coordinate a reprint would take months. Maybe Prime Remastered was a reprint, that's about one only thing I could see being reprinted.

If it was that easy to reprint special editions, they could make bank by doing another BotW Master Edition run.

I came in a few minutes before closing and was able to upgrade to a CE. Was also told there will be enough wooden plaque for everybody for the midnight release. They have over 100 plaques.

Because, you know, buying games - Zelda or whatever - is about appreciating in value ... ugh, I hate the collectibility mumbo-jumbo that consumers are so willing to jump into nowadays, and the publishers who are all so happy to exploit at every turn ...

don’t let anyone or anything ruin it for you, at the end of the day its not worth it. Just enjoy your gaming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to pair a loose pokemon sun with my extra $8 copy of TLOU remastered to go towards a collectors edition (I've got a pair of games for the standard already.). I figure it'll take about $15 to replace the sun, which was my max OOP for any trade.

Would you do that in this case?

You're on a video game deals website literally right now.

Got $52 for LOU1+2 towards Tears, and used my $5 monthly on top of it. Nawce

My Target preorder expected to come next week , I can’t have that

Gosh darn there’s a lot of ppl at GS tonight!!
These pre-releases are quite awesome!
Well done GS, well done!![attachment=37929:B6F1EE87-CC6B-4F85-9927-304A70C9A021.jpeg]

I was surprised and not surprised by the amount of people at the Gamestop I went to. I'm glad I pre-purchased though. They had enough plaques for everyone and the arm band thing. It's always fun to see what else everyone is getting with the game. One guy bought the Pokémon Scarlet and Violet OLED Switch.

Got $52 for LOU1+2 towards Tears, and used my $5 monthly on top of it. Nawce

My Target preorder expected to come next week , I can’t have that
So does that mean the $50 towards is flat $50 and not $50 plus the trade-in value of the games? Where did the extra $2 come from?

Well my midnight launch was a tad crazy. Easily 400+ people. I was in group 8, seemed like 10 people per group, and I was able to get a plaque, but I highly doubt everyone got one. They only had pro controllers and collectors editions for those who pre-ordered them, must have missed that window, but scored the Twilight Princess amiibo and just grabbed a collector's edition from Best Buy and a pro controller from Target. Was hoping to also get the wind waker two pack from target but doesn't seem like it came back. All in all pretty stoked, was going to sit this launch out and just play the digital version, but got hyped today and decided to go for it.

I got my CE. Had a standard pre ordered today and they let me upgrade it cuz they had 4 extras. My box was the least scratched up I saw. But man, those got a little beat. All 18 I saw tonight

Four hundred; holy crap. That doesn't bode well for me being able to get the plaque tomorrow evening after work.
I hope your store is less busy or at least they got enough in for all pre-orders so you can get one. The plaque is nicer than expected, but certainly not work buying off ebay or anything in my opinion.

Yeah, I traded in four games and it says $26.10 for all but one which was a dime more, for some reason.
Damn you were able to trade in 4 towards one purchase and they all got bumped to $25? Should have tried!

bread's done
Back