The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Just bought the CE off Best Buy’s website to save myself from the headache of dealing with GS, don’t care for the plaque. Props to those who traded in LOU 1 and 2 towards it tho, nice return

Just bought the CE off Best Buy’s website to save myself from the headache of dealing with GS, don’t care for the plaque. Props to those who traded in LOU 1 and 2 towards it tho, nice return
That's what I did, bought both of mine for $10 each, nice little boost to help with cost.

Also sold my plaque on ebay for $25 after fees, don't care much about it.

That's what I did, bought both of mine for $10 each, nice little boost to help with cost.

Also sold my plaque on ebay for $25 after fees, don't care much about it.
out of topic but I prefer a real wooden carved plaque from a Indian native from a South American forest , that’s true art.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I haven’t followed all of the comments. I ordered 3x (@ the $59.99 price) Zelda standard from GameStop online. Got an email yesterday that it’s on the way, but when checking my order it says waiting product availability. So which is it? Could it just be that the website hasn’t updated tracking numbers? Not hoarding or flipping, I bought multiples for my kids who all play. Thanks

Sorry I haven’t followed all of the comments. I ordered 3x (@ the $59.99 price) Zelda standard from GameStop online. Got an email yesterday that it’s on the way, but when checking my order it says waiting product availability. So which is it? Could it just be that the website hasn’t updated tracking numbers? Not hoarding or flipping, I bought multiples for my kids who all play. Thanks
Probably on their way and expect to wait about a week from email to delivery.

thats normal and it frequently will never update with tracking numbers.  check fedex or usps for items coming to you

that happened to me with Star Wars and it showed up 2 days later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of people last night.

Looks like they had about 20-30 Collector's Editions at the store I went to, but had at least 13 groups. So probably ~150 people (if like somebody said, there were 10 people/group) total.

Went to pick up my TP amiibo from my not usual GameStop. They still had those midnight release sleeves but were only giving them to people who added the warranty to the game.

Anyone in the east coast went into GS today and was able to get a wooden plaque for an online preorder? Wondering if I should bother since I'm out of town and the closest GS is pretty far. 

Hahaha how pathetic. These launches are the biggest power trip all year for some managers.
Yep. There’s a reason I have a preferred GameStop when the stores are equidistant to me and I technically do more errands by the other GameStop. I went and picked up my copy of TotK from my usual GameStop and they hooked me up with the plaque like they said they would plus the sleeve (which was a pleasant surprise).

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone in the east coast went into GS today and was able to get a wooden plaque for an online preorder? Wondering if I should bother since I'm out of town and the closest GS is pretty far.

Is it confirmed that you can trade in multiples of 2 of the qualifying titles and get $50 per duo.
It's 100% ymmv depends if the employee gives a fuck. #1 Why give it away to someone who's not a customer (for their metrics). #2 Policy says no, but again ymmv because nothing in the system prevents it.

Is it confirmed that you can trade in multiples of 2 of the qualifying titles and get $50 per duo.
Tried trading in 4 qualifying games (so 2 pairs of listed games, all different titles) this morning. When Zelda (regular edition) was added to the transaction the bonus only applied to 2 of the games. I decided to keep two the games and when they were removed the bonus automatically applied to the other games. Not sure if it works on the collector's edition but it definitely did not work for the regular edition and it was all automatic so nothing the employee did was preventing it.

Tried trading in 4 qualifying games (so 2 pairs of listed games, all different titles) this morning. When Zelda (regular edition) was added to the transaction the bonus only applied to 2 of the games. I decided to keep two the games and when they were removed the bonus automatically applied to the other games. Not sure if it works on the collector's edition but it definitely did not work for the regular edition and it was all automatic so nothing the employee did was preventing it.
That's weird and annoying to hear after this post from earlier:

Yeah, I traded in four games and it says $26.10 for all but one which was a dime more, for some reason.
Were you buying the CE?

So I have no interest in Zelda, but I do like the idea of $50 for Last of Us Remastered and Part 2, both of which I paid $10 for.  Any way to abuse this system?  Can I buy Zelda and return it another day and get the credit added to my account?  Similar question goes for the other 20% pre-order trades that are active right now.  Can I do the trades, place the pre-order, then cancel the pre-order and keep the trade credit?

So I have no interest in Zelda, but I do like the idea of $50 for Last of Us Remastered and Part 2, both of which I paid $10 for. Any way to abuse this system? Can I buy Zelda and return it another day and get the credit added to my account? Similar question goes for the other 20% pre-order trades that are active right now. Can I do the trades, place the pre-order, then cancel the pre-order and keep the trade credit?
The short answer is yes to all of your questions, but it's best to be smart about it. Wait a few days before returning/canceling.

Does anyone know if Rakuten's current 15% cash back works on new systems? PSVR2 is finally available and 15% back would be great. I think I will personally wait for some kind of black Friday deal and Rakuten usually has at least 10% off around the holidays. It does say virtual reality but I can't see the exclusion details.

If anyone got a Zelda Wood but needs a CE let me know.  I had an extra CE that is no longer necessary, I’ll sell at cost as a trade for a Wood if anyone interested.  Gamestops near me all hoarding their wood / not honoring the website description of how to obtain for online orders, as expected.

It’s going to be YMMV. They guy in front of me had his order printed out and they denied him. They said it was for in-store orders only. He was (rightfully) pissed.

If anyone got a Zelda Wood but needs a CE let me know. I had an extra CE that is no longer necessary, I’ll sell at cost as a trade for a Wood if anyone interested. Gamestops near me all hoarding their wood / not honoring the website description of how to obtain for online orders, as expected.
I'll trade you wood for some sheep.

It’s going to be YMMV. They guy in front of me had his order printed out and they denied him. They said it was for in-store orders only. He was (rightfully) pissed.
Yep... called the GS when it opened at 11 and they said they're only for store preorders. fucking GS.

Wasn't it typically pullups that most people had problems with on the Presidential Physical Fitness Test?
Or am I just revealing that I'm old?
It was pull ups for us in the 90s. I couldn't do any back then... Now that I'm nearing 40, I can do 7 pretty easy.😂

Went into my store to get TotK and the associate said “I’m not supposed to say this but I don’t care because it won’t impact my numbers. Do you want to use credit from old preorders?” I ended up having $30 on old games like Sekiro and Days Gone. I had no clue lol. It might be worth asking if y’all have any credit on old stuff…

That’s cool. Didn’t know old pre orders being transferred doesn’t impact employees. They should do that more. I swear I had a deposit for cyberpunk one time and they told me about it. This was 2 years after the release lol

That’s cool. Didn’t know old pre orders being transferred doesn’t impact employees. They should do that more. I swear I had a deposit for cyberpunk one time and they told me about it. This was 2 years after the release lol
it does impact their numbers however on a week like this where they did SOOOO many preorders just a couple cancels has virtually no impact.

Well, crap, I have Last of Us Remastered and Sackboy A Big Adventure - both never opened.  I already played Last of Us via PS+ and now Sackboy is on there too, I think. (Though I'll probably never play it anyway).

I have a voucher to use for Zelda, but I'm tempted to do this instead since then I could get rid of those games. I have really been trying to get rid of most of my collection and not buy things I won't play anymore. Only problem is that they are still sealed, and I don't want to open them unless I'm 100% sure GS will give me the deal. Yeah, I used to trade new games (after opening them) all the time in the past, but I haven't even stepped foot in a GameStop in at least 3 years and don't know how they are nowadays. I guess I'll go in there with them still sealed and just tell them the truth (I never got around to playing them but didn't want to open them unless I was sure they'd take them) and see how it goes.  

Despite spending so much time trading at GS in the good ol' days, I'm actually apprehensive to go in at all now. It's stressful even thinking about it.

However, it looks like, at best, even sealed copies of those two games would fetch $20 (LoU) and $25 (Sackboy) on eBay before shipping and fees. Yikes. That's like $25-$30 net for both.

Dare to dream. Anyone know if I can do three sets? And if I trade in non qualifying items towards Zelda, if it'll activate the 20% boost?

Well, crap, I have Last of Us Remastered and Sackboy A Big Adventure - both never opened. I already played Last of Us via PS+ and now Sackboy is on there too, I think. (Though I'll probably never play it anyway).

I have a voucher to use for Zelda, but I'm tempted to do this instead since then I could get rid of those games. I have really been trying to get rid of most of my collection and not buy things I won't play anymore. Only problem is that they are still sealed, and I don't want to open them unless I'm 100% sure GS will give me the deal. Yeah, I used to trade new games (after opening them) all the time in the past, but I haven't even stepped foot in a GameStop in at least 3 years and don't know how they are nowadays. I guess I'll go in there with them still sealed and just tell them the truth (I never got around to playing them but didn't want to open them unless I was sure they'd take them) and see how it goes.

Despite spending so much time trading at GS in the good ol' days, I'm actually apprehensive to go in at all now. It's stressful even thinking about it.

However, it looks like, at best, even sealed copies of those two games would fetch $20 (LoU) and $25 (Sackboy) on eBay before shipping and fees. Yikes. That's like $25-$30 net for both.
If you bring in sealed games, depending on the employee, they will deny the trade regardless of what you tell them. They will trade for $50 towards Zelda so if you want to do it then open them up and bring them to trade. They typically assume games are stolen if they are brought in sealed.

Wasn't it typically pullups that most people had problems with on the Presidential Physical Fitness Test?
Or am I just revealing that I'm old?
From what I remember it was pull-ups and running the mile in the required time.

I walked the mile and still made the required time. But there was a obesity problem at the time due to most kids living off McDonald's and junk food. Watching TV since they were home alone because divorce rates. That and I feel like doing the Presidential fitness test on 9 and 10 year Olds is pretty stupid.

If you bring in sealed games, depending on the employee, they will deny the trade regardless of what you tell them. They will trade for $50 towards Zelda so if you want to do it then open them up and bring them to trade. They typically assume games are stolen if they are brought in sealed.
Yeah, that's the way it was in the old days, which is just stupid. Stolen games could be opened just as easily.

Even old stuff like Sekiro and Days Gone impact numbers? That’s crazy if so…
it's still a preorder cancel, it doesnt care the age.

Yeah, that's the way it was in the old days, which is just stupid. Stolen games could be opened just as easily.
it's for legal protections, they cant "knowingly" buy stolen product, if you say words that indicate it isnt yours they're supposed to decline as well. sealed is just the most common one people see.

From what I remember it was pull-ups and running the mile in the required time.
The only reason I didn’t pass that stupid fitness test was bc I couldn’t stretch enough to touch my toes- I still can’t and it doesn’t help that my hamstrings are always tight. Otherwise, everything else was solid back then- running, pushups, situps.

bread's done
Back