The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Just a wild guess, but valve hasn’t sold any refurbished units yet themselves. They definitely had people shipping back defective units for replacements since the release, and it wouldn’t be that far out of the realm of possibility that maybe they partnered with GameStop to sell them to perhaps gauge interest at selling new units in the future at retail stores, as well as being able to move these refurbished units at a place known to sell pre owned/refurbished product.

They’ve also partnered with GameStop already over 10 years ago in allowing GameStop to be one of the first places to carry steam wallet codes/gift cards.
(https://news.gamestop.com/news-releases/news-release-details/steam-wallet-comes-gamestop-stores)

Target Circle promo has some flips to Gamestop such as New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe and others. Just $4 or $10 profit with trade bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Target Circle promo has some flips to Gamestop such as New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe and others. Just $4 or $10 profit with trade bonus.
I’d trade those in ASAP. I was in there today to pick up my copy of Rain Code which finally came in and I saw a stack of traded games on the counter which appear to be the target sale games.

Ordered Hogwarts (XBONE) and Mario Party SuperStars and Kirby's Return to Dreamland during the B2G1, planning on keeping only Hogwarts... was pleasantly surprised to find Mario Party jumped up $5 to $35 pre bonus trade in! Both Switch games were originally $30 trade in when I placed the order!

I’d trade those in ASAP. I was in there today to pick up my copy of Rain Code which finally came in and I saw a stack of traded games on the counter which appear to be the target sale games.
Regular edition of Rain code or Mysteriful Limited Edition? They told me Mysteriful Limited Edition was pushed back to the 14th

Had some B2G1 free generic cases that I wanted to exchange and one of my local GS said that 1) to do a swap, you have to do a return/rebuy and 2) to not do it at a mall location as their internet is not strong.  :shock:

Both of those smell like lies but I'd love a consistent experience at GS. I can get down with ass backwards GS policies and learn them, but at least be consistent with your ass backwardsness!

I’ve always thought they just don’t want to have generic cases instore since they’ll be harder to sell lol unless they’re supposed to ship those out, idk

The YMMV would be whether they let you do it at all, as lots of places will turn you down outright. rp71284 said that they were told they would have to do a return/rebuy to exchange cases, and my experience contradicts that.

Just buy the game you want to swap, wait a day or two and do a return using the generic case if you need to
This is exactly what I do and have been doing it for years. Sometimes they let me swap but there's been times when they have denied me so I just do it this way

Does GS require ID to pick up pre orders? Im out of the country and it’ll be about 6 days after the Pyra amiibo releases that I get back. Was thinking of telling a friend to pick them up for me.

Does GS require ID to pick up pre orders? Im out of the country and it’ll be about 6 days after the Pyra amiibo releases that I get back. Was thinking of telling a friend to pick them up for me.
I don't know if preorders are treated differently than online pickup in-store orders, but GameStop gives you 7 days to get there and get your stuff for those.

They ask me for the phone number. I have never been asked for ID but they know me.

In store preorders are held for 48 hours and then released for others to purchase.
My store will hold longer if I ask, but again, it’s because they know me.

Has anyone ever tried to return games from a B2G1? The cashier just let me return 2 of them for a refund and keep the 3rd one for free even after I told him they were part of a B2G1. The slip it came with doesn't show any prices and all he did was ask me what day I bought them on because I don't think he could find the order in the system. He actually refunded me a few dollars more than I paid because it didn't apply the pro discounts.

I realized I could probably return the 3rd game for the full amount if I wanted to but that would be wrong.

Has anyone ever tried to return games from a B2G1? The cashier just let me return 2 of them for a refund and keep the 3rd one for free even after I told him they were part of a B2G1. The slip it came with doesn't show any prices and all he did was ask me what day I bought them on because I don't think he could find the order in the system. He actually refunded me a few dollars more than I paid because it didn't apply the pro discounts.

I realized I could probably return the 3rd game for the full amount if I wanted to but that would be wrong.
Pretty much same thing happened to me. I returned all 3. But he refunded me the value of all 3, even though it was b2g1. I didn’t lie but I’m not one to just say no to free money either 🤷🏻‍♂️

You can call the store and have them notate your account saying your friend is authorized to get the Amiibo for you.

So call me mr. dumb Azz. Yesterday I went to trade in all the target flips towards madden 24 $5 down 20% boost

Bowsers fury
FIFA 23
It takes two
Mario bro deluxe

Today i went back the same guy was there and said huh you trading in the same exact games today. I was like no I didn’t. Then he made a remark”these games just got opened” and proceeds to ask me where I got my games. I said yeah and I told him a buddy sold me them. I traded in

Mario sparks of hope
Bowser fury
FIFA 23
It takes two

Then the junior detective warns me of my account being flagged if I trade in too many of the same games. I said I wanna preorder pikmin 4 (20%) $5 towards it and a $20 steam card for him to get off my nuts. These GS junior detectives got nothing better to do. I swear

I still have another copy of fifa 23 and it takes two lol

They can see your last five transactions. You shouldn't have traded with the same employee. GS gets so few trade-ins nowadays that even without the computer, employees can probably remember transactions, especially since Switch is the smallest section.

So call me mr. dumb Azz. Yesterday I went to trade in all the target flips towards madden 24 $5 down 20% boost

Bowsers fury
FIFA 23
It takes two
Mario bro deluxe

Today i went back the same guy was there and said huh you trading in the same exact games today. I was like no I didn’t. Then he made a remark”these games just got opened” and proceeds to ask me where I got my games. I said yeah and I told him a buddy sold me them. I traded in

Mario sparks of hope
Bowser fury
FIFA 23
It takes two

Then the junior detective warns me of my account being flagged if I trade in too many of the same games. I said I wanna preorder pikmin 4 (20%) $5 towards it and a $20 steam card for him to get off my nuts. These GS junior detectives got nothing better to do. I swear

I still have another copy of fifa 23 and it takes two lol
Yeah my bad I can’t help but be really observant. Usually happens when it’s not busy and I was bored

Quick question. If a game shows a $0 trade in value online, do they not take it? Or is there site just crappy? Have a copy of NHL 23 for PS5 I wanna trade in with some other games. And that is the only one with no value, just curious if I should even bring it tomorrow.

Quick question. If a game shows a $0 trade in value online, do they not take it? Or is there site just crappy? Have a copy of NHL 23 for PS5 I wanna trade in with some other games. And that is the only one with no value, just curious if I should even bring it tomorrow.
It just means the website doesn't have a preowned SKU; you'll have to call a store to ask for the TIV if you want to know before heading out.

Anyone else try deleting their Gamestop PUR account in the app? Last month I went in store to renew my account but they weren't able to and they called CS. CS said to sign up for a new account, which I did, under a different name and phone number.

I have 22K points I need to use by end of today before my Pro membership expires tomorrow (I totally forgot that I didn't renew ever since that nerf last month). Anyone have any suggestions for the best low-cost way to use them? Would prefer to pay as little out of pocket as possible.

I have 22K points I need to use by end of today before my Pro membership expires tomorrow (I totally forgot that I didn't renew ever since that nerf last month). Anyone have any suggestions for the best low-cost way to use them? Would prefer to pay as little out of pocket as possible.
I would say Eshop codes. You can sell them 80% value.

Probably buying a popular Nintendo Switch game that's currently on sale (like Mario Kart) and selling it online or waiting for a trade in deal.

20.jpg

*Get 20% Extra Credit when trading in toward the purchase or pre-order of Pikmin 4 or Madden NFL 24: Applies to trade credit only, excludes cash trades.

I went into a Gamestop to try to spend my points but I didn't find anything particularly interesting. Sad!

So just to make sure, rewards certificates work on sale items in-store but not online. Is that correct? I was thinking of just redeeming my points now and then figure out the purchases within 3 months before they expire (if they don't expire when my Pro membership ends). Also, can you price match the online sale price in-store and then stack the certificate on top? I think the reason I didn't see anything interesting in-store was because the prices just sucked.

I went into a Gamestop to try to spend my points but I didn't find anything particularly interesting. Sad!

So just to make sure, rewards certificates work on sale items in-store but not online. Is that correct? I was thinking of just redeeming my points now and then figure out the purchases within 3 months before they expire (if they don't expire when my Pro membership ends). Also, can you price match the online sale price in-store and then stack the certificate on top? I think the reason I didn't see anything interesting in-store was because the prices just sucked.
I’ve always been allowed to stack on top of sale prices and price matches in store. But I think technically it’s against their policy. But I’m not 100% sure

Your coupon expires when your membership does. At least the monthly ones do, so I'm assuming it's the same with one you redeemed for points with. You can't stack pricematch and coupon. You should have bought literally anything since now you just threw your points away unless you go back again.

Your coupon expires when your membership does. At least the monthly ones do, so I'm assuming it's the same with one you redeemed for points with. You can't stack pricematch and coupon. You should have bought literally anything since now you just threw your points away unless you go back again.
Yep, I'm going to another Gamestop later (there's a Chick-fil-A in the same mall so I'm going to pick up a free meal too). And you're right, I just looked it up and the site says only Pro members can use certificates. I forgot that I can actually redeem $21 to use in a transaction. For some reason I kept thinking I was going to do two transactions to use $10 + $1 certificates to maximize my points but honestly I don't care if $1 goes to waste. Thanks mate.

Also I called a store associate and they said I can price match + use certificates so I'll try my luck if I find anything interesting.

It is sad I haven’t seen such a sad state of used game sections that I’m seeing now, wonder if they are really hurting.
This is the GS paradox...

Online - can find something you want; but shipping costs/free ship threshold are asinine and you can only use 1 cert.

VS

In Store - can find Funko Pop and other "merchandise" that you don't want; but they'll let you stack rewards certs.

Probably buying a popular Nintendo Switch game that's currently on sale (like Mario Kart) and selling it online or waiting for a trade in deal.
I did just this and bought Mario Kart 8 after realizing my sister does not have it yet. I'm surprised its trade-in value has been so strong.

Some good flips awaiting if the trade prices hold in the morning. Hogwarts Legacy on the Xbox One probably being the best one. Really hoping the trade prices hold so I can get rid of my copy of Miles Morales.

Hogwarts XB1 isn't even available near me or for shipping :beer:
It was available for shipping for a while but wasn't available for pickup near me. Definitely seems like a price mistake, but I'll be sure to try to PM with their website if my local store has it in stock and price on website stays same.

Hogwarts XB1 isn't even available near me or for shipping :beer:
It was available for like 30 mins for shipping. I managed to snag 3 and added a game for free shipping. Seems like an error for sure. Let’s see if they ship. Will prob just sell on eBay though.

Dead Island 2 for PS5 used is $27.99. All other versions are higher priced.

Still waiting for that under $20 price tag but maybe I'll bite since I can double dip on the coupon.

I see a banner that says extra $50 when you trade in a series x or ps5. just scroll down on the main page it is next to the power trade games. would make them both $407.50 if it actually works in store

bread's done
Back