The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
I just returned 2 games that I purchased online yesterday. They were both buy 1 get 1 free.

The employee scanned them both and they both came up as a full refund for each. I told him that one of them was free but he said that's fine. I didn't complain so he gave me full credit for both... I made money.

GameStop is so weird sometimes.
For a couple of years there I was making money from GS due to it. I would buy a ton of games from their B2G1 sales online when first party Switch games were constantly on sale for like $30-40. I would end up returning some of my orders only for me to get back more than what I paid because the invoice slip had every game in that order listed for their normal price plus it didn't list any of the free games as free, but it showed the normal price as well. So, for an order I paid like $60 for, I got sometimes well over $100 back due.

I just returned 2 games that I purchased online yesterday. They were both buy 1 get 1 free.

The employee scanned them both and they both came up as a full refund for each. I told him that one of them was free but he said that's fine. I didn't complain so he gave me full credit for both... I made money.

GameStop is so weird sometimes.
Last time I returned was from the B2G1 and they refunded me the full amount for each game. Even after I explained to the clerk that one of the games was free he didn't care. I finally said alright and asked if I could keep the 3rd game then and he even said to keep my receipt in case I wanted to return it later. A few days later I exchanged it for a different game and got $10 back in cash. This was even well after the 7 day return period ended.

I guess that's what happens when you only pay people $9 an hour. They have no reason to care about the company.

Has anyone been able to find the terms for the console trade with the list of consoles. Trying to figure out if I can get the bonus with a 3dsxl

On the PS5 trade in deal, is it +$50 for each console?  So a Series S would be $192+50 and OLED Switch $165+50?

How long is the promotion running?

I just did this. My total after tax came to about 27.31 after tax

PS5: $449.99

XBOX One S: -$138.0 0 (88.00+50)

XBOX Series S: -$242.50 (192.50+50)

$25 Certificate

$15 Certificate

$5 Monthly coupon

Total $24.49 before tax

I got the Series S from the Verizon deal when I only paid $150 for it. :D/
On the PS5 trade in deal, is it +$50 for each console? So a Series S would be $192+50 and OLED Switch $165+50?

How long is the promotion running?
See post above. No idea on the duration though. I would have to assume through the end of this week.

I have roughly 75,000 points I need to use before December, I was thinking of using them towards a Switch.  Will I be able to use all the points towards the purchase or will they limit how many I can use?  Ideally, I'd just be able to get $75 off for my points. 

I've asked at several stores, but it seems that none of the employees have a straight answer.  

Never had a Switch and I want a brand-new console.  I figure I should have this handled within the next two months or risk not being able to find anything during the holiday season.

I have roughly 75,000 points I need to use before December, I was thinking of using them towards a Switch. Will I be able to use all the points towards the purchase or will they limit how many I can use? Ideally, I'd just be able to get $75 off for my points.

I've asked at several stores, but it seems that none of the employees have a straight answer.

Never had a Switch and I want a brand-new console. I figure I should have this handled within the next two months or risk not being able to find anything during the holiday season.
Isn’t the maximum reward certificate $25 now? I used a $50 and $25 certificates toward my OLED Switch but that was 2 years ago.

I wouldn’t be in a rush to get the Switch. Hardware sales are slowing and the price can only go down between now and December. At least wait until holiday deals start getting announced in early November.

I have roughly 75,000 points I need to use before December, I was thinking of using them towards a Switch. Will I be able to use all the points towards the purchase or will they limit how many I can use? Ideally, I'd just be able to get $75 off for my points.

Never had a Switch and I want a brand-new console. I figure I should have this handled within the next two months or risk not being able to find anything during the holiday season.
You can only do a maximum of 3 certificates in a transaction. They recently got rid of the $50 one. So the best you could do is $25, $15 and $10 certificates for a grand total of $50 off. You'd have $25 remaining at that point which could be utilized on a separate transaction.

You can only use 3 in a transaction, and I think the most expensive are 25, 15 and 10? So 50?

Also, the successor to the Switch is coming in about a year. May be backward compatible.

I would personally use it toward some select Buy 1 Get 1 new titles. If you choose carefully, you could potentially get some good boomerang titles to trade back in to GameStop.

Do boomerangs even still exist? I feel like they’ve gotten good at lowering the trade values to adjust for sales recently

weird stealth bump? tears of the kingdom is trading in for $44 with pro, skyward sword $33, final fantasy 16, diablo 6 $44

pretty limited overall, but a bunch of switch games bumped up to $33

Last edited by a moderator:
You can only do a maximum of 3 certificates in a transaction. They recently got rid of the $50 one. So the best you could do is $25, $15 and $10 certificates for a grand total of $50 off. You'd have $25 remaining at that point which could be utilized on a separate transaction.
does the $5 monthly coupon also count towards the 3 in one transaction?

does the $5 monthly coupon also count towards the 3 in one transaction?
This will be employee discretion. The limit of 3 also only exists in the fine print of the certs. The system allows you to stack as many different value certs as there are active in your account.

weird stealth bump? tears of the kingdom is trading in for $44 with pro, skyward sword $33, final fantasy 16, diablo 6 $44

pretty limited overall, but a bunch of switch games bumped up to $33
Probably 100 games got bumped. Switch games leading the way. Retro games skewing my results.

Gravity Rush Remastered at 35 base is a deep cut.

Mario Party Superstars got nerfed by $5.50. I was gonna trade it in but not now. 

Pokemon Scarlet is as high as I've seen it so I'll sell that one.

Do boomerangs even still exist? I feel like they’ve gotten good at lowering the trade values to adjust for sales recently
Yes. There have been a few that were "Online Only" pricing yet in store they are full price. Tour De France 2022 for all platforms was an example.PS5 and PS4 were $5.99 before discounts and traded back in at $12-$13 with Pro. They were also available from Woot for less than the trade value. PS4 and XBOX pricing has been fixed currently though and PS5 isn't available for shipping. That's just one example though.

Maybe I'll trade in my Skyward Sword with the generic case. Would make it simpler to get a B2G1 during the holidays, since there aren't many games that I want to buy.

Almost wonder if it's worth waiting for Sunday and see if they miraculously would have a 50% trade in bonus, though I can't imagine that happens since TOTK would get near what it sells for new.

So GS b1g1 only applies to one set of two games in cart? If so, that's a poor way of doing this, esp. for folks who'd buy more.

No, it applies to multiple sets. I've got 4 different games in cart right now, 2 are $0
Are they the same amounts? Doesn't look like it works when you have two games at $30, and two games at $50 (for example). What I mean is it'll take off the two $30 games rather than one $30 and one $40 (which shouldn't surprise me at all given this is Gamestop we're talking about).

Yes, they were the same amount.

I misunderstood your statement, but I think you're right that always the lower cost games will be marked as free. I've run into that issue online, too. I believe people have stated in the past that it's worked correctly in store to group the same value games and properly discount them, but I can't confirm that.

Are they the same amounts? Doesn't look like it works when you have two games at $30, and two games at $50 (for example). What I mean is it'll take off the two $30 games rather than one $30 and one $40 (which shouldn't surprise me at all given this is Gamestop we're talking about).
That’s how almost every retailer operates b1g1. It will always apply to the lowest priced option and you will find that in the fine print.

Crazy good stealth boosts on mid. UFC 4, need for speed remastered PS4 knocking it out of the park.

Also, anyone know which pre-order bonus titles are active? Last I checked, just Madden

Crazy good stealth boosts on mid. UFC 4, need for speed remastered PS4 knocking it out of the park.

Also, anyone know which pre-order bonus titles are active? Last I checked, just Madden
Lords of the Fallen (releasing in October) should also trigger the bonus.

MK1 did for me this past Sunday. Lords of the Fallen was not active at that point.

Edit: 

The titles all have 'Power trade eligible' banners on the product listings

Good and bad news with my trade ins:

Good - was able to dump a Series S, my launch PS4 and my launch Xbox One, plus $40 in points to cover tax (thanks PA) + $80 cash for a PS5 + an extra controller

Bad - the one sales rep kept trying to tell me bad info (hey this is only worth $15 so you should probably just sell it for cash somewhere, hey the $50 is only on 1 console), they dinged me $38 for "refurb" fees ($20 on the PS4 sucked because it worked ejecting a disc when I left but I guess in travels the disc got stuck, $18 on the OG Xbox One because "it's old" is stupid)

Interesting - both GS reps said that they don't care if systems have been opened (remember a friend was denied a PS4 trade in because "the screw on the back was worn") so that's good to know, this GS actually gave me a hard time about not having the OEM battery covers (I use PowerA ones since them seem to always turn up), requiring weird things to bypass refurb fees (USB cables is always the one I forget with PS4s), doing some weird thing with a 10000 point redemption to reduce warranty fees

All in all, I'm fine. I was only in $215 for the 3 systems I traded in due to old ass trades & upgrades in the past, so a PS5 for about $300 + some points that I was dying to get rid of isn't that bad.

Got $52.50 for Final Fantasy 16 which is kinda insane, I paid like $53 for it at best buy with 10% coupon and $10 GC for preordering at launch so awesome deal.  Reminds me of the way gaming used to be with GCU and amazing gamestop trades.

I preordered Mortal Kombat 1 and got a beta code on the receipt too so not bad.  GS has a steelbook (release, not now) for people who buy it from them.

This trade boost was indeed a long time coming. Couldn’t believe it when I saw the GS MWT email this morning. Did pretty well this week with console trade-ins towards ps5 console. Today, I traded in 13 games (mostly switch games) for 450 trade credit. Sitting on plenty of trade credit now- just over 1000. Looking forward to upcoming deals and BF in November!

It's been awhile since I traded games in to GameStop, and I've not really been keeping up (and their website isn't particularly transparent). As far as maximizing values for games traded in, I assume the best return is to pre-order a game during trade in. Not factoring in Pro, is that a 20% or 30% boost to the base value currently?

I'm probably going to trade in the Series S I got from the Verizon deal toward a PS5, but I wanted to see if it was worth it to part with some Switch games temporarily while values are inflated to cut the remainder down. Thanks!

bread's done
Back