The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
I had to dig through articles to finally get an answer to what all this nonsense is about: so what deluxe includes is a PRE-ORDER for the expansion which isn't made clear anywhere on the store pages or listings for the game. JFC how misleading.
And play the game 5 days early.

My favorite what ifs on old failed businesses are if Toys R Us and Blockbuster went different routes when change was happening and they still had money. I believe both TRU and Blockbuster had hundreds of millions left over when the competitors that ultimately put them out of business (Amazon and Netflix) were starting to overtake them. Hell Netflix offered to be bought out by Blockbuster for $50 million, which is chump change compared to what they became.
Blockbuster had DVD rentals through the mail and were better at it than Netflix depending on the area you lived at. I remember signing up for the Blockbuster one and being impressed of the speed & selection (as in - very little was out of stock).

My inclination on the Netflix/Blockbuster thing is that it would have gone similarly to Gamestop/Impulse in that the brick and mortar stalwarts wouldn't have allowed it to be developed like it ended up being and some competitor would have ended up winning out instead.

And never forget, in spite of the easy to believe narrative, TRU (and plenty of others) didn't die because of competition, they died because of a leveraged buyout, which shouldn't be legal. Plus the biggest thing that hurt TRU and Bestbuy (and most pre-1995 retail chains) was Walmart, far more than Amazon.
To be fair here... Best Buy has been run by idiots for quite a while. This newest pivot is basically a balance sheet move... less inventory in stores, less insurance on stores with lesser inventory, store employees are trained to do everything so less staff.

It would work IF their services were amazing, their employees were as knowledgeable as say Micro Center employees are, and if you could get basics when you walked into a store. Since my most local store has remodeled, they've been out of most phones, black Xbox controllers, and all but 1 power supply. Also, every time I've come in I've had bad service (did the 20% coupon for recycling an old keyboard, and used that coupon at a later date... both transactions took multiple employees how to figure out and probably took about an hour each).

Blockbuster had DVD rentals through the mail and were better at it than Netflix depending on the area you lived at. I remember signing up for the Blockbuster one and being impressed of the speed & selection (as in - very little was out of stock).
the blockbuster online dvd rentals were great, you could take it back to the store, get a free rental AND they sent you the next movie off your list through the mail. problem was there were no late fees anymore, and that is where blockbuster made their money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just fyi the $5 bonus on $5 or greater trade values triggered

On armored core 6 pre order (so it does not need to be one of the featured pre orders)

And worked on older Xbox 360 discs (sometimes this promo is only PS4/xb1 and newer items)

$16 for black ops 2 360 discs is pretty good.

the blockbuster online dvd rentals were great, you could take it back to the store, get a free rental AND they sent you the next movie off your list through the mail. problem was there were no late fees anymore, and that is where blockbuster made their money.
had nothing to do with no late fees. They hired a new CEO that hated the fact that the program took revenue for the local stores and basically hangs the whole company into two separate divisions. One for online and one for stores. It was really shortsighted.

Just fyi the $5 bonus on $5 or greater trade values triggered

On armored core 6 pre order (so it does not need to be one of the featured pre orders)

And worked on older Xbox 360 discs (sometimes this promo is only PS4/xb1 and newer items)

$16 for black ops 2 360 discs is pretty good.
Armored Core 6 was still getting a 20% bump prior to the $5 change fyi.

Traded in tons of $5-10 trade value games earlier today and walked out with about $440 in credit. Should come in handy for Black Friday / Switch 2. Bumped values were consistent with what I could’ve made on eBay post fees/shipping and a helluva lot more convenient. Employee knew nothing about the promo and said I knew his job better than he did 😂

FWIW, I traded in Wii, DS, 3DS, and PS4. No issues activating on any of them. The employee even helped out and added a free preorder for call of duty. He said it would help them out more than a regular preorder as they were running a contest to see who could rack up the most preorders.

As always, thanks CAG! I’ve been biding my time on these games for the last 3 months and this is a far better outcome than the standard 50% bump.

V-Rally 4 - Nintendo Switch
FUN! FUN! Animal Park - Nintendo Switch
The Sinking City - Xbox One
Guacamelee! One-Two Punch Collection - Nintendo Switch
Marvel Ultimate Alliance Gold - Xbox 360

Yurukill: The Calumniation Games Deluxe Edition - PlayStation 4
Monster Energy Supercross - The Official Videogame 3 - Nintendo Switch
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom - PlayStation 4
Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight - Playstation 4

Dragon Star Varnir - Playstation 4
Metroid Prime Hunters - Nintendo DS

Farming Simulator - Nintendo Switch
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden Country - Nintendo Switch
Ice Age: Scrat's Nutty Adventure - Xbox One
Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse - Xbox One

Spreadsheet has been updated pretty much check your local pawn shop nothing worth driving out for. 23 titles and all of them are super rare to find.......

One of the GS who seemed to be in the know more than others said that you can't trade 2 of the same system at once
I had this response several times back arou d 2015 when they started taking PS2s in at the start of their retro program. The last store I went to that day told me that he could just mark on the order that I was a trusted collector and he took in 8 systems. He said that trading multiple items causes a flag in The system, but a manager can make a note if he knows someone buys stuff at garage sales or in lots, and trades stuff in. He said that many managers will be hesitant to do so unless the person is a long time customer because they can get in huge trouble if the items turn out to be stolen.

Okay curious should I kill posting a small list that no one will probably use and stop updating the spreadsheet or keep doing it. Comment on the spreadsheet if you want it to keep going or like this post to kill it.

What is the spreadsheet for? I suppose now is a good time to go through games I no longer want and see if it will be worth trading them in since they get a $5 bump. I am sitting on wii and PS3 games that might benefit from the extra $5. I don't have any games I want to pre-order though. How long do I have to wait before I need to cancel the pre-order? Is that something I have to do in person or can I call the store and do it over the phone?

Hopefully it's still working today. Gonna try when I get off work. I have a massive stack of crap I'm offloading. Time to downsize.

Confirmed to be working today. Just traded in seven games with tiv of $5-$8 each, put $5 towards Detective Pikachu and all got the bonus $5. Promo #29530 is what it says on my receipt.

What is the spreadsheet for? I suppose now is a good time to go through games I no longer want and see if it will be worth trading them in since they get a $5 bump. I am sitting on wee and PS3 games that might benefit from the extra $5. I don't have any games I want to pre-order though. How long do I have to wait before I need to cancel the pre-order? Is that something I have to do in person or can I call the store and do it over the phone?
you have to show up in person to cancel it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Confirmed to be working today. Just traded in seven games with tiv of $5-$8 each, put $5 towards Detective Pikachu and all got the bonus $5. Promo #29530 is what it says on my receipt.
Second here. Also, Sinking City (X1) is coming up $17.99 in-store, but $2 flip if you can get it price matched.

They nerfed the value on Elden Ring for PS4. It was $27.50 last week during the we need this game promo. I guess they got enough of them though because it's down to $16.50 now. I bought it months ago during their B1G1 and opened it up and installed it but haven't gotten around to playing it. I should probably just start playing it before it goes even lower in value. The PS4 version has a glitch where it tries to install the PS4 version every time you boot up your PS5 regardless if the PS5 version is already installed. It's annoying because you need to stop the installation every time. I am finally done after almost 400 hours of TOTK so I can tackle Elden Ring now after I finish up some other games.

the values always go down after a most wanted trade weekend

They nerfed the value on Elden Ring for PS4. It was $27.50 last week during the we need this game promo. I guess they got enough of them though because it's down to $16.50 now. I bought it months ago during their B1G1 and opened it up and installed it but haven't gotten around to playing it. I should probably just start playing it before it goes even lower in value. The PS4 version has a glitch where it tries to install the PS4 version every time you boot up your PS5 regardless if the PS5 version is already installed. It's annoying because you need to stop the installation every time. I am finally done after almost 400 hours of TOTK so I can tackle Elden Ring now after I finish up some other games.

Gamestop sent me 20/24 open games on a B1G1 free order. Emailed their CS about it 2 weeks ago and received no response. Sent a follow-up a week ago, no response.

Filed a chargeback with AMEX with pictures showing that they sold open items as "new". Showed how they ignored both of my emails.

Won the chargeback for the full amount, and I suspect GS will ban my account, which btw had

Gamestop sent me 20/24 open games on a B1G1 free order. Emailed their CS about it 2 weeks ago and received no response. Sent a follow-up a week ago, no response.

Filed a chargeback with AMEX with pictures showing that they sold open items as "new". Showed how they ignored both of my emails.

Won the chargeback for the full amount, and I suspect GS will ban my account, which btw had <1000 points left on it and wasn't even my main one, didn't have my main address on it, and had a virtual card used.

The highlight of the order was receiving WarioWare Get it Together in a generic case with a "New" sticker on it.
EDIT: full gallery of some highlights is here (https://imgur.com/a/Pie744g) but I had to include the below image just because of the absurdity

1NqFVCc.jpeg
Rest in peace to your account. If you only emailed them and didn't bother to call or go in store, you should've at least tried man. The local stores here were actually cool about the gutted opened up games, I had to return a few even no there was no ghetto circular seal.

They didn't even put them in the white envelope either.

A lot of accessories have dropped in value yet again! I’ve had to actually sell on eBay recently, I liked GameStop when they had decent values way better.

Rest in peace to your account. If you only emailed them and didn't bother to call or go in store, you should've at least tried man. The local stores here were actually cool about the gutted opened up games, I had to return a few even no there was no ghetto circular seal.

They didn't even put them in the white envelope either.
I called between the 2 emails. Was on hold for a good 30 minutes, and finally got through to somebody. The CS rep was helpful, gave me a case # and said I'd hear back from them within 48 hours with an update, never happened. The only advice they said was to return the games via mail, which I'll never do again.

Plus I didn't want to have to explain how that copy of The Witcher III was something GS actually sent, given its condition.

That wasn't the goal. The goal was to let Gamestop be Gamestop, hit 'em with the chargeback and keep the games for free.
LOL promise that wasn't the goal. I used the remnants of a GC + used some reward points for vouchers, so the goal was to actually buy & try out what I was buying. I will admit some of the orders were adding titles to get to the $79 threshold, but that's only because they were OOS within 50 miles of me.

I've been burned by GS for so many things over the years and have never went scorched Earth on them until now.

Won the chargeback for the full amount, and I suspect GS will ban my account, which btw had <1000 points left on it and wasn't even my main one, didn't have my main address on it, and had a virtual card used.

The highlight of the order was receiving WarioWare Get it Together in a generic case with a "New" sticker on it.

EDIT: full gallery of some highlights is here (https://imgur.com/a/Pie744g) but I had to include the below image just because of the absurdity

1NqFVCc.jpeg
holy shit, i bought 2 games and got 2 definitely new sealed no stickers on it game, but i dont like knowing i got lucky. new means new, not "like new". i've seen other people in this situation on other message boards

bread's done
Back