The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
-Spent $.01
-Free

Choose one, not both
Folks should also be cautious of GS employees adding discounts to items then adding that discount amount to a "free" preorder. You don't want weird transactions like that on your account if you do a ton of trading.

Yeah there is no "free" preorder lol. 

They start by putting a penny down but the next time you trade something they will add to it from your new trade. 

For example, I had a "free" 1 cent preorder for Mario.   A week later when I traded in some games it showed on my receipt that I was a dollar short on my trades and that the missing dollar had been applied to my previously "free" preorder.   

So my free "preorder" went from 1 cent to 1 dollar.  But NOT $1.01, which mean that they took their penny back. LOL

The $5 bonus is likely coded onto games of 5.00+ base value as of xx date and ignores games that were below 5.00 base. Far Cry 6 for xbx was 2.50 base less than 2 weeks ago. GoW was 3.00 base.
This is how it always has worked. They load the list with promo eligible titles and it stays the same unless they change it manually.

This means games that change value are not removed automatically, and a game that had $5 value on day 1 and drops to $1 will still trigger the bonus. And a game that had a $1 value on day 1 but increased to $7 will not get the bonus.

*Unless someone at gamestop manually updates it, which afaik hasnt really ever happened.

I preordered Armored Core (ps5) and picked up today. There is no code on the receipt for the dlc (a stupid exclusive decal) and no code in the box. Employee told me it was in the box because it wasn’t on the receipt. Anyone else get a code?

I preordered Armored Core (ps5) and picked up today. There is no code on the receipt for the dlc (a stupid exclusive decal) and no code in the box. Employee told me it was in the box because it wasn’t on the receipt. Anyone else get a code?
Code was on my receipt

Really happy with this $5 promo, took $20 spent at a flea market on loose discs into paying off Armored Core 6, Spider man 2, Mario Wonder, and Mortal Kombat 1

My code was on the receipt.

[attachment=38131:Screen Shot 2023-08-26 at 6.05.29 AM.png]

Last edited by a moderator:
Are employees getting pushed really hard for powerup metrics right now? I bought a game today and the dude was one of the most dramatic I've seen in years. He spent the whole rest of the transaction nodding his head like a disappointed father. He handed me the bag without saying anything and turned away to do something else in the store. Kind of silly to be honest.

Are employees getting pushed really hard for powerup metrics right now? I bought a game today and the dude was one of the most dramatic I've seen in years. He spent the whole rest of the transaction nodding his head like a disappointed father. He handed me the bag without saying anything and turned away to do something else in the store. Kind of silly to be honest.
Damn. Sounds a little pathetic tbh. I hope employees see their worth and go work somewhere better where they can shine and have a future in if this is all they have.

It does appear that Dark Souls Remastered is listed at $65 base on the site right now. I confirmed this afternoon that it is ringing up at that for trade-in at the store. I got something like $79 in trade credit after pre order. As a side note, the associate freaked out and called his district manager. They honored it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to get it fixed right now so YMMV.

Sounds like the employee just rang the game up without going into your account to “redeem” the preorder, or their system goofed up & didn’t print the code on your receipt. I’ve heard of that happening many times early on a release day, last time being AEW release date.

It does appear that Dark Souls Remastered is listed at $65 base on the site right now. I confirmed this afternoon that it is ringing up at that for trade-in at the store. I got something like $79 in trade credit after pre order. As a side note, the associate freaked out and called his district manager. They honored it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to get it fixed right now so YMMV.
oh shit!

What game did you preorder/ what games are getting the boost

If it held till tomorrow, and the 6+/30% bonus works as we expect, that's potentially $91.

I was able to trade one copy in as well, but they may have nuked it in POS as second store I tried claimed it was no longer accepted for trade. YMMV, but might be worth a try if you have a copy lying around and are around a store.

Tried 2 gamestops for dark souls. First one it showed up but he refused to give it to me. Second one said there was “a glitch in the system”. So not sure if it popped up or not but he wouldn’t give it to me

Lol main account is trade banned, probably because I traded 10 consoles in a week (technically only 3 of 1 particular one, 2 glossy PS4s, 1 matte PS4, 1 PS4 Pro, 1 Xbox One S and 2 Xbox Series S).

It could also be the $$ amount, which would be weird since the bonus is most of the value ($500 of the $1300 or so I got).

I know why the limits exist but for a company with barren stores game-wise, you’d think they’d left things like this.

Also double checked and I might barely have $2k on the year in trade-ins, but I definitely haven’t done 4 of anything yet, and definitely am not over $2k in the last 30/60/90 days. Trading towards 3 PS5s really must have did it. I swear, I’ve never seen a company with so many unwritten rules and policies.

so the only promo right now is the 5 bucks plus? no 30%
Just left a store, traded in 10 low value games that were $5+, got +$5 on all except one piece burning blood ps4 which was $5 base +10% pro. They all got +10% pro but not the extra 20% that is typical for trades towards pre orders.

That said, if youre trading a $5 game for $10 + 10% its actually a 60% toward preorder bonus but diminishes as you trade in pricier games since the $5 bonus is fixed and doesn't scale with higher trade values.

Just left a store, traded in 10 low value games that were $5+, got +$5 on all except one piece burning blood ps4 which was $5 base +10% pro. They all got +10% pro but not the extra 20% that is typical for trades towards pre orders.

That said, if youre trading a $5 game for $10 + 10% its actually a 60% toward preorder bonus but diminishes as you trade in pricier games since the $5 bonus is fixed and doesn't scale with higher trade values.
110% bonus of $5 game at base value....rushed the math on that one.

Lol main account is trade banned, probably because I traded 10 consoles in a week (technically only 3 of 1 particular one, 2 glossy PS4s, 1 matte PS4, 1 PS4 Pro, 1 Xbox One S and 2 Xbox Series S).
It could also be the $$ amount, which would be weird since the bonus is most of the value ($500 of the $1300 or so I got).
I know why the limits exist but for a company with barren stores game-wise, you’d think they’d left things like this.
Also double checked and I might barely have $2k on the year in trade-ins, but I definitely haven’t done 4 of anything yet, and definitely am not over $2k in the last 30/60/90 days. Trading towards 3 PS5s really must have did it. I swear, I’ve never seen a company with so many unwritten rules and policies.
If you do cash, I think it's 500 limit. Also, if you trade 2 of the same consoles, you get soft banned, too.

bread's done
Back