The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
That isn't the case for my store. They keep saying that they can't print it out anymore and have to use the physical PSN/Eshop card if they have it. -_-
That's a lie and either born out of ignorance/lack of training or due to them dealing with too many scams.

You can still get +30% trade in credit when trading in 6+ games without an account, so unless you plan one using it consistently, you could still skip it. A lot of states require ID when trading in so sharing accounts doesn't work.
When I went to trade in some games, I told the employee that the name doesn't match the ID because it's my friend's account and we share account. I wasn't expecting him to say he does too and has like 4 different accounts on his family member's names. He even let me use the remaining points on my own account to buy a game. So I'd say YMMV on sharing accounts.

Just tried to trade in 30 games and the 40% wit 6+ worked but the extra 20% with preorder wouldn’t activate. Tried 5 diff games at $5 or full price and nothing. Anyone else?

On Sunday I traded in a stack and it came to $300. Asked to put $5 towards Starfield and my total jumped to $392.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tried to trade in 30 games and the 40% wit 6+ worked but the extra 20% with preorder wouldn’t activate. Tried 5 diff games at $5 or full price and nothing. Anyone else?

On Sunday I traded in a stack and it came to $300. Asked to put $5 towards Starfield and my total jumped to $392.
I don’t think those two bonuses stack. You either get the preorder bonus, or the 40% with 6+ bonus. Whichever is higher. Maybe the games you traded in before benefited more from the preorder bonus

on Sunday the $5 bonus with preorders was still working. so a bunch of your games probably got that bonus instead of the %

I don’t think those two bonuses stack. You either get the preorder bonus, or the 40% with 6+ bonus. Whichever is higher. Maybe the games you traded in before benefited more from the preorder bonus
When they do the pros get 20% extra the 20% has always stacked.

Revisiting my fun with gutted games... I had 2 other B1G1 orders that were majority gutted games, so I took the advice given here and went to stores to do the returns (after generating a "packing list" from going through the process to start the return online, figuring that a list with a barcode would make an in-person return easy, like it is for 99% of retail stores).

First store made a big deal about me saying I ordered about 7-10 days ago, so they actually called CS to verify the order date, despite the fact that I told them I generated the return slip this morning, which also said I had until September to do the return. I guess the CS people sent my order broken up by shipment, because it took about 45 minutes for the store to then go through and verify everything I was returning was on my original order, despite the return list being right in front of them matching what was physically being returned. On top of that, I've learned that the B1G1 free combined with how multiple stores send out items makes returns a headache, because Gamestop's system is so ass backwards that it can't just give you 1/2 price back on a B1G1 free item, it has to $0 some and make others full price. The person at the store was trying to override and give the correct amount back but ended up giving me $280 vs $200. I even brought it up to them but they said once the return was done they couldn't reverse it.

Second store was a bit easier. Gave them the slip & 6 games I was returning (should have gotten $180 + tax back). This person for some reason was running into the same issues, not being able to ring up anything for the return, which was also aided by a bunch of the games having no stickers and being in generic cases. In this case, I got back $330 + tax, since every game was rung up at full retail (and 2 were returned at used prices for some reason). Again, the person at the store didn't seem to care that the amount was wrong and was just trying to get me out of there since they had a line and were single coverage.

TL;dr nothing works at Gamestop, I shouldn't even be shocked. Cannot wait to exhaust the rest of these points, build up some trade credit and just buy a console to be done with them.

Oh, like actually returning both games? I thought they were just trying to return one.
First return was 10 games with a $39.99 price, so I should have gotten around $200 + tax. They gave me $280 + tax.

Second was 6 games with a $59.99 price, so I should have gotten around $180 + tax. They gave me $330 + tax.

As said before their computer system is held together by duct tape, chewing gum, paperclips and magic. It's amazing it even works at all.

As said before their computer system is held together by duct tape, chewing gum, paperclips and magic. It's amazing it even works at all.
The system they used when I worked there years ago was based on windows 95, knowing gamestop and how cheap they’re. I doubt they’ve ever updated anything.

At this point, I’m guessing they are on Windows 7. Granted that is a mighty big guess, lol.
I doubt they’ve upgraded the system, I’ve walked employees through doing returns having them turn the monitors to me and typed everything in to get them where they needed to be. Gamestop doesn’t bother training most employees because the rate of people leaving is very high.

The program they use to do everything is based on windows 95 and never has been upgraded because if it ain’t broke don’t fix it logic. That’s why you see so many mistakes on the website. It’s been about 15 years since I’ve been there, they tried to branch off onto a cellphone business while I was working there. A year later they ended up closing that down because it didn’t work out. The ceos aren’t very bright I’ll tell you that much.

I need to use my $5 coupon before it expires tonight.  When I went to GameStop earlier this month, the associate told me a cock and bull story about not being able to use the coupon on a $15 Xbox gift card.  Hoping he doesn't try that crap again tonight because I hate wasting gas.  

I doubt they’ve upgraded the system, I’ve walked employees through doing returns having them turn the monitors to me and typed everything in to get them where they needed to be. Gamestop doesn’t bother training most employees because the rate of people leaving is very high.
The program they use to do everything is based on windows 95 and never has been upgraded because if it ain’t broke don’t fix it logic. That’s why you see so many mistakes on the website. It’s been about 15 years since I’ve been there, they tried to branch off onto a cellphone business while I was working there. A year later they ended up closing that down because it didn’t work out. The ceos aren’t very bright I’ll tell you that much.
So that’s why earlier this week, if you looked up a trade in value, the website was dropping Ns (Not hard Ns luckily)

I need to use my $5 coupon before it expires tonight. When I went to GameStop earlier this month, the associate told me a cock and bull story about not being able to use the coupon on a $15 Xbox gift card. Hoping he doesn't try that crap again tonight because I hate wasting gas.
Tonight? Godspeed, you don't have much time to do so before the cutoff time in possibly a few hours or less (don't remember exactly).

I need to use my $5 coupon before it expires tonight. When I went to GameStop earlier this month, the associate told me a cock and bull story about not being able to use the coupon on a $15 Xbox gift card. Hoping he doesn't try that crap again tonight because I hate wasting gas.
I think I'll let mine expire again. Not worth the drive over there tonight.

FFXV Ps4 and Shin megami tensei nocturne HD are good last minute things to use for the $5 monthly coupon if you want to use it online for in store pickup. Both are under $7

FFXV Ps4 and Shin megami tensei nocturne HD are good last minute things to use for the $5 monthly coupon if you want to use it online for in store pickup. Both are under $7
Thank you for that. My GS is showing they have 1 copy of SMT in stock when they never have anything else. Don't mind if I do for $2.03 after tax.

Can’t even checkout at GameStop unless I use Apple Pay lol. Let’s see if they cancel the instore pickup order. My bank even said it was a suspicious Transaction

GameStop never shipped me my games. I talked to them to refund me, they said they would refund the money to my gift card. It's been 2 weeks. I've already talked to 4 people... how am I supposed to get my money back?

GameStop never shipped me my games. I talked to them to refund me, they said they would refund the money to my gift card. It's been 2 weeks. I've already talked to 4 people... how am I supposed to get my money back?
In these instances they have physically mailed me a gift card for the total. So that's possibly why it's taking so long.

So I went to GameStop yesterday (the 31st) and they said my $5 coupon had been used the previous day.

Definitely not used by me, so was wondering if it just expired early. Called support and they said the same thing, I flagged it as a fraudulent use and they compensated me with points as a courtesy but couldn't tell me what had been bought or where it had been bought..

Points for the purchase hit my account today and it looks like they haven't cashed out my points stockpile or anything, so not sure what to do.

Speaking of, how long does it typically take to show a change in points? I had an employee use a $15 and a $25 to buy a game on Tuesday, but my points haven't changed since before then.

Speaking of, how long does it typically take to show a change in points? I had an employee use a $15 and a $25 to buy a game on Tuesday, but my points haven't changed since before then.
sign out and sign back in and they should adjust. had this problem where i didn't get points added for a purchase, signed out and when i signed back in they were there.

So I went to GameStop yesterday (the 31st) and they said my $5 coupon had been used the previous day.

Definitely not used by me, so was wondering if it just expired early. Called support and they said the same thing, I flagged it as a fraudulent use and they compensated me with points as a courtesy but couldn't tell me what had been bought or where it had been bought..

Points for the purchase hit my account today and it looks like they haven't cashed out my points stockpile or anything, so not sure what to do.
I know in the past people have reported issues in using the $5 coupon on any month that ends in 31 days on the 31st day. I saw it happen 1 time and the customer support gave the employee a coupon code number to use. Not sure what the issue was in your instance.

I know in the past people have reported issues in using the $5 coupon on any month that ends in 31 days on the 31st day. I saw it happen 1 time and the customer support gave the employee a coupon code number to use. Not sure what the issue was in your instance.
I figured out what happened.

Embarrassing explanation below.

My sister apparently used my phone number to get me points on a Funko set she was buying and the employee told her it was the last day to use the coupon (this was the 30th) so she used it thinking I wasn't going to. I had thought a family member might have used it on accident and asked in our family group chat before even reaching out to support but nobody copped to it. Asked again last night just to be sure before I bothered any store employees this weekend and she fessed up. I mean I get her logic in using it, and ideally she'd have asked for permission but at the very least, tell me afterwards that you used it. :wall:

Wait, it's confirmed that the 40% runs thru next Saturday?
I had to dig several pages back but it was noted it went through 9.9

Now if that's really true we'll see. It'll suck if it doesn't but I'm hopeful tomorrow when I bring my shit in it'll ring up.

The 25 dollar bump on select systems showed too.

bread's done
Back