The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Just noticed the "Buy 2, Get 1 free on all Clearance items" -- are there any actual clearance video games / systems in stock at any stores?
Its actually buy 1 get 2 free for clearance for pros, but I havent seen much worth anything. Lots of funko, figpins ans assorted cheap garbage. Only a few games nobody wants. Should be able to browse it on the website, but not worthy of your time

Its actually buy 1 get 2 free for clearance for pros, but I havent seen much worth anything. Lots of funko, figpins ans assorted cheap garbage. Only a few games nobody wants. Should be able to browse it on the website, but not worthy of your time
You know for sure B1G2 clearance works in-store? I bought a clearance shirt on Friday and asked clerk to scan it three times to see if I could get a free one, but I didn't enter my Pro number until I bought the shirt. On the website, it shows that non-Pros would get at least B1G1, but I didn't get anything free in-store.

There’s a banner on gamestops website saying “score an extra $5 credit when you trade in select games”. No idea what the criteria is but hopefully someone can verify tmrw

Possibly a silly question but if I want to use a $10 cert on an online order for in store pickup should I redeem the $10 off online cert or the $10 off in store cert?

Also, can I combine this with the $5 off monthly coupon?

There’s a banner on gamestops website saying “score an extra $5 credit when you trade in select games”. No idea what the criteria is but hopefully someone can verify tmrw
What triggered this promotion to work a few weeks ago? If I remember correctly, TIV needed to be $2 or $5 for the extra $5 to kick in. Wasn't a preorder also needed for it to trigger?

Possibly a silly question but if I want to use a $10 cert on an online order for in store pickup should I redeem the $10 off online cert or the $10 off in store cert?

Also, can I combine this with the $5 off monthly coupon?
online cert because u need to put the code in at the cart screen on the site.

Thank you. I didn’t realize the in store cert didn’t have a code. Also I guess this means that I won’t be able to stack the $5 monthly coupon with
Online system is broken so it won’t stack. Be aware that if the item you are trying to pickup already has a discount on it the certificate may overwrite it (so you wouldn’t get both discounts).

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a limit on quantity on the $5 bonus? Like I trade in 10 games, all meet the $5 minimum value, I get $5 extra each and $50 extra total?

Is there a requirement like having to pre-order or something? $39.70 for Death Stranding and Miles Morales doesn't sound too bad.

Gamestop employees typically know less about current promotions than we do. It's pretty hilarious how incompetent that company is. Every national chain I've worked for gets communication sent from corporate well ahead of time.

Also sad that 4/$10 and 4/$20 is so bad compared to even a year ago. The 4/$10 is literally just sports games and "games as service" games that are mostly dead.

Just for comparison, Forza Horizon 3, a 7 year old game, was eligible for the 4/$10 in January, and now isn't even eligible for the 4/$20 (and at its price would barely qualify for the old 4/$40). Also checked both categories and there's maybe 20 Switch games eligible. Gamestop needs to realize that they can't sell a thing at these inflated prices. They missed the boat on when that would slide (1-2 years ago).

Is there another $5 bonus going on? I'll make a list assuming the threshold isn't $5 again since the list of boomerangs won't change much if it is.

Gamestop employees typically know less about current promotions than we do. It's pretty hilarious how incompetent that company is. Every national chain I've worked for gets communication sent from corporate well ahead of time.

Also sad that 4/$10 and 4/$20 is so bad compared to even a year ago. The 4/$10 is literally just sports games and "games as service" games that are mostly dead.

Just for comparison, Forza Horizon 3, a 7 year old game, was eligible for the 4/$10 in January, and now isn't even eligible for the 4/$20 (and at its price would barely qualify for the old 4/$40). Also checked both categories and there's maybe 20 Switch games eligible. Gamestop needs to realize that they can't sell a thing at these inflated prices. They missed the boat on when that would slide (1-2 years ago).
Walk into a target, best buy, walmart, cvs, walgreens, whatever. Employees don't know what sale is going on 99% of the time. People in this thread need to stop expecting employees to know shit.

When there is only onto two employees working at the gamestop and they need to put up some signage for the sale I'd like to expect they have som clue what's going on.

As for the sale, I went into a store and couldn't find 4 games that weren't sports games that qualified. Its worth noting that typically with this sale games get added over time with price changes, so its worth checking it again and again. That shipping threshold is rough though.

Walk into a target, best buy, walmart, cvs, walgreens, whatever. Employees don't know what sale is going on 99% of the time. People in this thread need to stop expecting employees to know shit.
Gamestop is not on the same level as a department store that sells all kinds of things. There's a handful of employees per store and they have to put up singing for promos anyway, so it's not unreasonable to expect them to know about it.

It's just funny to compare it to an impartial big box store of a wide array of garbage for sale and pharmacies, yeah, you got us, target employees don't know every single item on sale, but when I am at the pharmacy I wouldn't get very far with the transaction if they didn't know how to process my insurance, and not sure how you'd get very far in a Gamestop if they don't know what the current trade in or other promotions are.  If they don't know which Funko Pop is on clearance sure, ok, who gives a shit.

What can you do, expect an employee to know what to do and how do things?  In a store?  Where they work?  Give them some space!

I don't expect the employees "to know shit".

I expect them to listen to my question if I have one when they confront me immediately upon stepping through the threshold of the doorway. If you ask me what you can help me with, then comply with your own assertiveness. Or don't act offended when I tell you that I'm fine. When I ask about a promotional sale or clearance item then go look it up if you aren't sure. Don't lie to me, or insist that something is the sticker price when you don't know. Especially when I'm asking for a simple price check and bring the item directly to you.

I visited two GameStop stores yesterday, and I never found four games to qualify for the four for $10, but I was able to grab four PS4 games with their cases at the second store for $20 even though it was a struggle.  Not the best choices, but I collect PS4 disc games, so whatever.

Asterix & Obelix: Roman Rumble in Las Vegum

Cris Tales
Persona 5 (vanilla)

Street Power Soccer

And I finally found a new copy of the Risen remake for the Switch for $14.99 although it was gutted.

All those stores have systems that work and even if employee doesn’t know shit, they can scan an item and the system will tell them shit.

How long is the extra $20 bonus running for? I gotta trade in my Xbox series S

Edit: just called GameStop and the promo is over. Should I wait or take the $192.50 credit? I paid $150 from Verizon a few years ago

I mean, I didn't get any heavy hitters, and there were plenty more ps4 games I woulda bought if they were all in stock / a store close to me, but I did get

- uncharted 4
- kingdom hearts 3
- killzone shadow fall
- middle earth shadow of war
- prey

For like 14$ with store pickup.

I got a ps4 late and didn't use it much, I sold it when I got my ps5 disc cause it can play ps4 games. So nows the "get em before they're gone" stage for ps4 games, so i'm building a library of anything I even remotely want if its dirt cheap like this

Called a different GameStop and they told me it was running until Oct 7th. GameStop employees are the worst
Yeah it runs until 10/7 per their internal documents and so does the b1g1 that has been active for almost 2 months but isn't advertised because...Gamestop DGAF

Pretty sure I know what the answer is, but just to be sure: can you combine monthly $5 coupon, rewards certificate, & price-match? Or any combination of those?

I got a "fail" on the $5 bonus. 

I have a very dependable GS location with knowledgeable and fair employees that I can always count on to process trades, transactions and promotions correctly. 

(The one time I had a guy sneak the GPG on my game he lowered the game price by $4 first...he still didn't last long at that location.)

But yeah they tried the trade with and without a pre-order and all I got was 30% at the most.  Base values were 18, 7, 6 and 3. 

Hopefully the banner is not an error and they will update the system to attach the $5 bonus but I'm not holding my breath. 

I got a "fail" on the $5 bonus.

I have a very dependable GS location with knowledgeable and fair employees that I can always count on to process trades, transactions and promotions correctly.

(The one time I had a guy sneak the GPG on my game he lowered the game price by $4 first...he still didn't last long at that location.)

But yeah they tried the trade with and without a pre-order and all I got was 30% at the most. Base values were 18, 7, 6 and 3.

Hopefully the banner is not an error and they will update the system to attach the $5 bonus but I'm not holding my breath.
bummer but thank you for trying today

It would not surprise me at all if the last $5 bonus promotion (that wasn't promoted) was a scheduling mistake. It was probably supposed to line up with this promo, but it went live a month early.   

The 5 Dollar banner on their website is showing Tears of the kingdom, Hogwarts and mwii.

Anyone try trading those in or figure out if the "select" titles are Most Wanted titles?

Has anyone else had problems with their in-store pro renewal not showing in their online account? I renewed on Sunday because I was trading in my series x and the bonus made it free. I tried the online verification process but I’m not getting an email with the verification code.

Probably a dumb question but for the 30% extra trade promo. Can I pre order or buy a digital copy of one of the games and still get the bonus ?

bread's done
Back