The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Would it be smarter to do 2 separate transactions for trading in a Series X + games to get the $350 bonus + 4/40%? Or will both promotions apply in the same trade?

Yeah I just went in store and they wouldn’t price match Walmart or Amazon. He didn’t give an exact reason - he just said he could get in trouble and GS is cracking down on PM.

I went ahead and did the trade, and they gave me $375 with Pro.

Update - he called another store and said it’s because of the holiday season. They won’t do the price match.

Last edited:
Yeah I just went in store and they wouldn’t price match Walmart or Amazon. He didn’t give an exact reason - he just said he could get in trouble and GS is cracking down on PM.

Update - he called another store and said it’s because of the holiday season. They won’t do the price match.
Haha the beauty of not having an actual price match policy - they can do whatever they want.

But yet it’s apparently a big enough benefit for it to be locked behind Pro. I guess tax is also being charged now on trade cards in FL and other states where that previously wasn’t a thing.

They can match it and the holiday season doesn't matter. They won't because no individual employee wants to get in trouble though there is nothing in the internal policy that says a large price difference can't be matched. Doesn't mean a DM won't be angry for you doing so though they can.

Just buy it from Amazon or Walmart, not worth the hassle.

For anyone looking, here are some 3DS in stock
$90 Nintendo 2DS Blue GameStop Premium Refurbished
$90 Nintendo 2DS Electric Blue GameStop Premium Refurbished
$190 Nintendo 3DS XL Blue GameStop Premium Refurbished
$190 Nintendo 3DS XL Handheld Console - Black
$190 Nintendo 3DS XL Red GameStop Premium Refurbished
$220 Nintendo 2DS XL Handheld Console - Black and Turquoise, GameStop Premium Refurbished
$240 New Nintendo 3DS XL Handheld Console - Red
$240 New Nintendo 3DS XL Handheld Console - Black

Last edited:
They can match it and the holiday season doesn't matter. They won't because no individual employee wants to get in trouble though there is nothing in the internal policy that says a large price difference can't be matched. Doesn't mean a DM won't be angry for you doing so though they can.

Just buy it from Amazon or Walmart, not worth the hassle.
I would but I have GS credit.

I might try this I bet someone would eventually do it.

If the posters/advertisement in the store are to be believed the 40% bonus is valid until 12/9. Hopefully Mario Wonders base value holds.
Yeah that's what I was talking about- the game's value. I was also going to trade in a copy of FFVII PS5 and I swear it was $33 yesterday but dropped to $24 now.

So, um, I didn't make it to Gamestop before they closed tonight...because I got a Jersey Mike's sandwich and completely forgot the place was closing as I was eating it. But, it's sounding like I wouldn't have had any luck anyway. Luckily, Target is doing 10% off eshop cards next week, so at least I can save something on the Mario Kart Booster DLC.

Sorry about that🙃

So, um, I didn't make it to Gamestop before they closed tonight...because I got a Jersey Mike's sandwich and completely forgot the place was closing as I was eating it. But, it's sounding like I wouldn't have had any luck anyway. Luckily, Target is doing 10% off eshop cards next week, so at least I can save something on the Mario Kart Booster DLC.

Sorry about that🙃
Damn! Didn't know that. Just grabbed two $50 eShop cards from Newegg last night at 10% off, but could have gotten an extra 5% with red card. Might grab some more, will have to check when the eShop deals end.

@FYI20XX Not sure what your point is; you can play any physical games on a modded system and it doesn't really affect resell value.

I've been mulling over whether to get rid of some of my games while they have a half decent value. A lot of them I never even got around to playing, and if I wanted I could even buy the digital versions and have money left over. But part of me thinks some of the special editions and steelbooks might be worth something down the line, even though I've never done any game selling before.

For the first time ever I'll have to use my $5 monthly on something other than eshop 😔
Now to figure out how to do that... will it work on items that are on sale/clearance? Or is it only on full priced stuff? I'll be shopping in-store.

For the first time ever I'll have to use my $5 monthly on something other than eshop 😔
Now to figure out how to do that... will it work on items that are on sale/clearance? Or is it only on full priced stuff? I'll be shopping in-store.
Yes. In-store there are less restrictions. Will apply to sale and clearance items. Also unlike the site, it will apply to something $5 and below making it $0.

@FYI20XX Not sure what your point is; you can play any physical games on a modded system and it doesn't really affect resell value.

I've been mulling over whether to get rid of some of my games while they have a half decent value. A lot of them I never even got around to playing, and if I wanted I could even buy the digital versions and have money left over. But part of me thinks some of the special editions and steelbooks might be worth something down the line, even though I've never done any game selling before.
Not referring to the modded console.

It'll probably just be a pack of Pokemon or Magic cards for me, though Magic and their Draft/Set/Collector's/Price Gouging booster packs are now $6-$10 at Gamestop. Just to pull a freaking 10 cent rare.

Buy singles!

Sorry about that🙃
You should just get in a Switch online family plan group on here. $10 a year and you get all the booster DLC and all the games that are on the service.

Sounds like the employee was afraid to do so. I actually just price matched Wild Hearts in store literally earlier this week. Shockingly it wasn't GameStop "NEW". The Walmart price difference shocked him.

The local Target, Wally World didn't have this in stock. So I was pretty stoked about getting a factory sealed one.

I did recall one of the employees discounting a game awhile back when I bought Deadly Premonition 2 on Switch for a 4/$40 deal. It wasn't under $20 used in store but it was according to the GS online app.

She just told me the system might flag her if she discounts a game too much manually. A lot of bad retail stories out there...I always remember the good employees. She's actually still with GameStop after these 2 years

Last edited:
I'd like to take advantage of the trade bonus while it's up, but don't have anything I need. I want to pre-order Suicide Squad but waiting to see if any stores get a steelbook. I have the Avatar CE ordered online. I don't want to cancel that order trying to get credit on it.

bread's done
Back