The 5 Most Under Appreciated DS Games of 2006

furyk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (100%)

The Five Most Under Appreciated DS Games of 2006 (and the Cheap Ass Way to Get Them)

As someone who owns way too many DS games, it’s easy to see a few great games that the vast majority of people pass on for one reason or another. While several games, such as Elite Beat Agents, Brain Age and Cooking Mama, have benefited from being on the receiving end of positive reactions across the Internet, just as many games are passed on to fade from gamers’ collective consciousness. This article is designed to illuminate five of the best, yet forgotten DS titles of 2006 that were lost in the shuffle of the biggest year for the biggest handheld in the world.

As a quick note, these were the five most under-loved games on Cheap Ass Gamer, not across the entire internet. That's why Contact and Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime will not appear on the main list as they've been pretty highly buzzed all year on CAG despite selling far below what we thought they should. Without further delay, here’s my list of the five most under appreciated Nintendo DS games of 2006 in no particular order:

1. Scurge: Hive - Half Metroid, half Secret of Mana, all fun. While Scurge: Hive suffers from being almost identical to the GBA version of the game, the gameplay and story are both solid. Scurge: Hive pits you in the role of the intergalactic female bounty hunter Jenosa Arma. You suit up to fight a mutant virus ravaging a space colony, and yes, you're infected with it too. So plot-wise, this is a near total rip off of Metroid (particularly Fusion).

Why is this worth playing then? While the frosting on this cake is the same as Metroid, the cake of this game is as different as angel food and pineapple upside down cake. Because Jenosa is infected, she must constantly find purification stations to suppress the disease. If your infection reaches 100%, your health rapidly begins to decrease. The game is a constant battle between exploring the spaceship while searching for purification stations.

While the gimmick of the game is neat, Scurge: Hive would suck if the gameplay isn't as fun as it is. Playing sort of like the exploration part of Sigma Star Saga, Scurge: Hive has you exploring the world in an action RPG with your blaster and various gadgets. Furthermore, the game adds in a ton of strategy as you're given the option to change the type of energy your gun fires out. Unlike Metroid though, if you shoot an enemy with the wrong type of energy, it powers them up. This adds a huge amount of strategy to the game especially when you consider you're constantly having to find purification stations for your infections.

Scurge: Hive clocks in at around 12 hours, but multiple difficulty levels, hidden costumes and an unlockable boss rush mode lengthens the game quite a bit. Scurge: Hive can be found used currently at EB/GS for $19.99. It's an early candidate for Spring clearances as it hasn't sold that many copies.

2. Break Em' All - Attention collectors. Break 'Em All is destined to be the next Monopoly, Battleship, Yahtzee, Boggle (currently the rarest DS game in case you're wondering). At only $20, it's a steal at the moment. Like most "rare" games, you'll probably want to pick up a copy to sell and a copy to play though because this is such a quality title.

Break 'Em All is arguably the best Breakout/Arkanoid port we've ever seen outside of the arcade. The DS control scheme allows for pinpoint controls that were never really pulled off all that well on a d-pad. Furthermore, Break 'Em All allows you to drag your stylus on any part of the screen if for some reason you don't enjoy playing on the bottom of the screen.

Break 'Em All offers a ton of replay value too. Tokoton Mode offers 50 well designed standard levels or over 3,000,000 (yes, three million) randomly generated levels of block and ball play. There's also a quest mode that adds in boss battles to the mix. Furthermore, Break 'Em All uses a neat Gradius like power up system to differentiate it from every other ball and paddle game.

Break 'Em All is a ton of fun for you and your friends. With 2-8 player single-card play, and a summer release date, I find it utterly shocking that this game never found an audience. Regardless, it's $20 right now, less if you can find it used or with a Gamer's Gift Card in Best Buy. Even if it doesn't become a huge collector's item, Break 'Em All is a ton of classic gameplay at a value price.

3. Magnetica - Of course, one of the games I choose has to be out of stock at all major retailers. Magnetica, better known in the United States as Zuma (which Popcap Games ripped off friends, not the other way around), is a puzzle game where you fling different colored marbles with your stylus at a constantly tightening string. Get three in a row and the marbles pop, combos get chained, and your score goes up. Simple, right? Well not exactly. Magnetica tosses in a variety of obstacles to try and slow you down. Between wind, black holes, magnetic walls, smoke screens, and a variety of other impediments, Magnetica is one of the most challenging puzzle games on the DS.

Magnetica (Actionloop in Europe) is easily one of the best experiences to be had with the Nintendo DS all year. The game features 99 levels of difficulty in challenge mode and 60 different and varied missions. The game also features single and multi-card competitive play that incorporates slots as a way to randomly select what hazards you’ll be sending over to your opponent (or help you’ll be giving to yourself).

Out of all of the games on this list, Magnetica is probably the most available. Being both a game published by Nintendo and part of the Touch Generations line, your local brick and mortar stores will have this in stock. Furthermore, both Best Buy and Circuit City have run sales in the past on both the entire Touch Generations line and Magnetica by itself. While Magnetica is still exceptionally high at EB Games and Gamestop ($24.99 at the writing of this article), it is a good candidate to be put on clearance in the near future. Your best bet to buy it now is through Gamefly for a mere $13.99. Don’t pass up on this puzzler that is just as addictive as it is challenging.

4. Lost Magic - Arguably the hardest game on the Nintendo DS is also one of the most overlooked of 2006. Lost Magic is an Ubi Soft/Taito effort that sets out to make you feel like a wizard. Unlike every game on this list, Lost Magic was not a hit in the United States for a few very obvious reasons. This strategy RPG was exceptionally difficult seeing as your character died almost instantly from taking a few hits. Furthermore, your character’s offensive abilities were limited by the fact that he could only use magic to strike back at an enemy, magic that could only be cast by drawing exceptionally complex symbols that make Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow look like kindergarten finger painting. Also, each level had a relatively challenging time limit attached to it. Beyond that, the story is as traditional a story for a fantasy RPG this side of Japan.

So why is this game worth anyone’s time then? Well, first and foremost is the excellent online play. Lost Magic lets you take your team of monsters and magic to duel others in some of the most intensely entertaining gameplay on any system. Spells have to be drawn precisely or they lose power. Mixed with the typical intensity of online play over playing against the computer, Lost Magic becomes an incredibly nerve racking experience. The game also features 2 player wireless-card play and downloadable “demo” play so a friend can try this game out.

With over 400 spells to master and hundreds of creatures to capture and train, Lost Magic is an exceptionally satisfying game if you are willing to put the time and effort into. Not unlike a World of Warcraft or Everquest, it’s quite a frustrating game to enter into at first. Thankfully, the payoff of high level Lost Magic player vs player play is as good as any game I’ve seen in 2006. Lost Magic is essentially the opposite of 90% of the games we’ve seen on the DS. It is not a quick hop in, hop out style game. Lost Magic requires time, effort and above all, sound strategy to master.

Lost Magic is another game destined for clearance in the very near future. Already down to $13.99 on Gamefly, it’s a ton of game for not a lot of cash. While certainly not for everyone, Lost Magic is well worth the money if you’re willing to put some time into the game’s substantial learning curve.

5. Bomberman Land Touch! - It’s official. Cheap Ass Gamer is filled with people who don’t like video games. Why else would Bomberman Land Touch not be mentioned by a single soul despite being the premier multiplayer experience on the system? The Hudson Soft title takes Bomberman in the mini game direction for the single player experience and tosses Bomberman online for a more traditional, 4-player throw down.

The mini games in Bomberman Land Touch are all stylus controlled and all bomb based. These games range from the simplistic (running bombs back and forth by scratching the stylus up and down) to the substantial (bomb bowling). Overall the collection of over three dozen mini games holds up well. Considering Hudson Soft developed the Mario Party games, this comes as no surprise. While the story is completely forgettable, the mini games more then make up for this little snafu.

Bomberman Land Touch is probably the game that’ll be the most expensive for the longest. While it’s not a particularly popular title at the moment, it’s still only a couple of months old. Furthermore, it bears both the Nintendo Wi-Fi logo and the Atlus logo meaning that we could see this title at the relatively high $34.99 price tag for some time. Thankfully, the game is worth every penny. With both a compelling collection of mini games and an improved variety in the eight player single-card wireless play, Bomberman Land Touch has a huge amount of value to offer gamers.

The Rest

There are a few other overlooked games of 2006 that deserve to be mentioned despite seeing buzzed about on the CAG Forums. Most of these can be found in the recent Toys R Us clearance or in the CAG Trading Forums. Also, feel free to buy these games through Amazon to help support Cheap Ass Gamer.

Age of Empires DS - Age of Empires offers an excellent turn based strategy conversion of the popular PC title. Just make sure your name is longer then three characters if you play this to avoid the fatal game erasing glitch.

Contact - Take one part Earthbound and one part Monkey Island, mix in an exceptionally different combat system, add a dash of Wi-Fi and item collection and half bake it for gaming goodness. Contact is one of the most hilarious and bizarre games of 2006 that unfortunately was overlooked by everyone besides the most hardcore of gamers.

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime - The madcap tank battles are only matched by the game’s rock solid controls. Get into the Dragon Quest IX mood early with this fantastic action-adventure game.

Mega Man ZX - Mega Man ZX is the best Mega Man game since the first Mega Man Battle Network. While it still has some flaws (most noticeably a very poor map system), ZX is a huge step in the right direction that is worth a look from current and former fans of the Blue Bomber alike.

The Rub Rabbits - While the sequel to the DS launch title Feel the Magic: XX/XY commits the sin of rehashing a few of the mini games of the original, The Rub Rabbits offers enough zaniness to please fans. Furthermore, the 2-4 player single-card download play is sure to please everyone.

Hopefully you’ll consider picking up a few of these titles as each of them offers something quite different from the bigger releases of 2006. There were a lot of great games that got lost in the shuffle between New Super Mario Brothers, Yoshi’s Island DS, Final Fantasy III, Brain Age, Metroid Prime: Hunters, Clubhouse Games, Tetris DS, Elite Beat Agents, and tons of other titles. Take a second look at what came out this year for the Nintendo DS. You’re bound to find something that you forgot about or never knew about in the first place that in the simplest terms of the word, “rocks”.

Digg this article!

I kind of regret buying my DS because there's so many damn quality games I want to get...

Scurge looks mildly interesting, I didn't know about Break 'em All but that sounds fun, now that I know Bomberman has wi-fi multiplayer I need that, and Contact and Megaman ZX are games I've been looking at for a while now.

Thanks for this thread, furyk. I have about half of those games but I like reading reviews from other gamers and learning what's good and what isn't before I buy.

Wow Bomberman has Wifi...I've actually never played a bomberman game before :)-# ) but I always hear such good things about them.

I've been wanting bomberman and also found it odd that there wasn't a thread dedicated to it.

I saw plenty of stuff on here about Megaman ZX, Rocket Slime, and Contact closer to their release dates though, so I don't think they count.

I looked at break em all reviews and thought it would suck, I'd pick that one up, but there are too many damn games so I probably will never get around to it.

I'd add a game to the top 5 list:

Deep Labyrinth

I've seen a ton of people gripe about the controls, but I've not had a single issue with it. With the movement centered on the d-pad, I can be zipping down the corridors of a dungeon with my left hand and drawing up a lightning spell with my right hand, turn, shoot it, whip out my sword and start circle-strafing away. It's best for hardcore first-person dungeon crawler fans, but still, it's fantastic for what it is: a great example of that genre. $10 at TRU is a steal for this one, IMO...I paid $20 at EB and was happy as a clam. :D

[quote name='SpazX']I saw plenty of stuff on here about Megaman ZX, Rocket Slime, and Contact closer to their release dates though, so I don't think they count.[/QUOTE]

That's why I left them off the main list. I figured I'd do 5 games that received no buzz on CAG and then a more extensive line-up with short blips about 5 games that were underplayed throughout the Internet.

[quote name='darkwingduck13']I'd add a game to the top 5 list:

Deep Labyrinth

I've seen a ton of people gripe about the controls, but I've not had a single issue with it. With the movement centered on the d-pad, I can be zipping down the corridors of a dungeon with my left hand and drawing up a lightning spell with my right hand, turn, shoot it, whip out my sword and start circle-strafing away. It's best for hardcore first-person dungeon crawler fans, but still, it's fantastic for what it is: a great example of that genre. $10 at TRU is a steal for this one, IMO...I paid $20 at EB and was happy as a clam. :D[/QUOTE]

I thought about adding Deep Labyrinth, but I wanted to keep the list a bit more varied. Deep Labyrinth isn't as good a game as Scurge and I personally liked Lost Magic a bit more. Furthermore, Amazon didn't have a way for people to buy the game new. I like DL, but the graphics are kind of sucky and the story is pretty meh. At ten bucks though, the game is a total steal. The only game I was really comfortable with doing that for was Magnetica because it's a 1st Party title.

Love the list. Nice work, I actually own alot of them except I disliked Lost Magic and Bomberman Land Touch! has seemed overpriced. Add in that its seemingly low distribution by Atlus makes it nearly impossible to strike a deal and I don't use the DS's multiplayer functions too much anyways I'll have to pass for now and be hopeful for a price drop or trade or something.

Excellent article! I agree with so much of what you say, for the titles I've played. I have one question:

[quote name='furyk']T

1. Scurge: Hive - Half Metroid, half Secret of Mana, all fun. [/quote]

IGN reviewed this awhile back, and I've had my eye on it ever since. They actually recommended getting the GBA version, as it had better music and cost less. Do you have any opinions on which version is better?

Nice post.

I'm currently playing Rocket Slime and it's a lot of fun. Disappointed that it doesn't use the touch screen AT ALL, but it's still a great game. Seems like they could have let you use the touch screen to fling your slime in additiona to the current scheme using the A button and control pad. Sure in most situation it would be too cumbersome to use the touch screen, but it would have been fun to play around with. if they let you tap the screen to have your slime move to a spot (a la FF3) and maybe tap your slime to have him throw what he is holding and of course you'd tap and slide items on his head to rearrange the order as well as use the tap and drag to fling him it might have made for an interesting alternative control scheme.

I can't see paying for Magnetica when you can play the Pop Cap version for free on any PC. (And if you are reading this post you more than likely have a computer capable of playing the popcap game.) But then the game has never really appealed to me anyway.

[quote name='blandstalker']Excellent article! I agree with so much of what you say, for the titles I've played. I have one question:

*Scurge question*

IGN reviewed this awhile back, and I've had my eye on it ever since. They actually recommended getting the GBA version, as it had better music and cost less. Do you have any opinions on which version is better?[/QUOTE]

I haven't played the GBA version so I'll have to say the DS version. Great logic, no? The DS version has fallen in price a bit too. As far as I've seen, IGN is the only guys who have brought up graphical differences that I saw.

Rub Rabbits by far has been my favorite purchase of the year for DS, and I got it 3 days ago. Awesome stuff. Contact has been a must have for me, but I've been waiting for a price drop.

Great read, OP. I'm thinking about getting Magnetica and Lost Magic tonight, thanks to your list. Also put some games back on my radar (aka my watch list, or whatever you call it).

I'd add Resident Evil DS to that. It's portable RE and it's good. got knocked because it has been released so many times before, but its still a lot of fun to me.

Great list Furyk. I had passed on most of these games, but no doubt will be lookign for them with some great deals in the future.

I have been thinking about picking up Scurge: Hive for a while now. I'll try and get it when I have some spare cash.

Lost Magic is meh, Don't get me wrong the idea behind the game was great. I just think it could have been executed better. Running around to find a place to cast a spell was ok at first but quickly became more annoying then fun.

If you liked this article...

I linked it to the front page so it won't crash the server if it gets dugg alot (hopefully) ;)

Lost Magic is really the biggest love/hate game on the list which is probably why it's generating the most disagreement. It's a flawed game, but I really feel that it has an audience out there.

As for a few of the suggestions,

Apossum: I feel iffy about putting Resident Evil on the list simply for the reason you stated. Everyone knows of its existence, and yes, RE: DS was probably unfairly panned largely because of the fact that it used the old style controls and the hillarious voice overs. I found the game as a wonderful little treat simply because it's a lot like the first Tomb Raider. It's a neat little game to have in a portable version. Still, at the end of the day, it's Resident Evil and after a year of everyone talking about Resident Evil 4 being so great, I just didn't feel comfortable tossing it on the list. I also didn't put Pokemon Ranger on the list for the same reason, the franchise is too overexposed to be considered under, anything.

Arkay Firestar: Clubhouse Games is an interesting choice, but it sold pretty well in the United States. Furthermore, how hard of a sell is online hearts, chess, darts, pool, and so on and so forth?

Cool list!

I'd never heard of Scurge... although it sounds like the GBA version is better in the graphic flourishes department... (? source: IGN)

The developer has stated that their is no difference graphically between the DS and GBA versions. I've read where people compared the two and saw no difference. The DS version supposedly has better music, but I don't have the GBA version to compare. It's a shame that Scurge: Hive is so ignored, it really is a great game. Blame the publisher, they didn't push this game at all.

My favorite sleeper of the year has been Star Trek Tactical Assault. Most reviews gave it a 60%, but I am LOVING it. I see very little wrong with this game. Maybe people were expecting too much(?), but it is what it is - a tactical combat game of ship to ship dog fighting. Forget the story, its all about dog fights in space, shield management, and manuevering. I love it so much, I may get a PSP as I think it is modable on that system.

[quote name='furyk']I haven't played the GBA version so I'll have to say the DS version. Great logic, no? The DS version has fallen in price a bit too. As far as I've seen, IGN is the only guys who have brought up graphical differences that I saw.[/quote]

I think I got Scurge DS for $17.99 used at gamestop during the B2G1. WOuld lead me to believe new is only $19.99

I can vouch for all those titles :lol:

Scurge: Hive is really fun, although it takes a little while to get used to the view and controls. I've been looking forward to it for a loooong ass time, but the release date kept getting pushed back further and further. I think I pre-ordered (and cancelled because of a pushback) about three times for this game. But it was worth the wait. ;)

Bomberman Land Touch is a strange game. It's kinda kiddie with it's story and graphics, but WHOA DAMN some of the mini-games are TOUGH. It's kinda short, but fun, and there's a Hard mode too. Multiplayer for certain minigames is a blast. The battle-pack multiplayer is almost the exact same as the older DS Bomberman though, minus the voice-activated bombs. Just a hint for anyone picking it up: if you want to unlock all the characters, NEVER waste your tokens by buying bombs or extra help in minigames. Beat each mini-game twice (except Bomber House) and save up all 50 tokens if you want to unlock every character in Attraction Mode.

I had been looking forward to Scurge too, and then completely forgot about it. Dangit, I gotta hit some EB/GS tomorrow before work! I thought the marble game was a rip off of magnetica too. :( And break em' all, never even read anything about it.

Bomberman land Touch is excellent - the single-player's pretty fun with a cute story, and the multiplayer options (including online) are great. I got it during the Buy.com Google Checkout deal.

IMO The Rub Rabbits is worth owning, but it's not as good as the first. It's actually too long and sometimes too hard. Still, multiplayer's neat!

[quote name='eastx']Bomberman land Touch is excellent - the single-player's pretty fun with a cute story, and the multiplayer options (including online) are great. I got it during the Buy.com Google Checkout deal.

IMO The Rub Rabbits is worth owning, but it's not as good as the first. It's actually too long and sometimes too hard. Still, multiplayer's neat![/QUOTE]

Fell the Magic was better, but Rub Rabbits has more content, has longer lifespan, multiplayer, and is alot more user friendly.

oh and congrads:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/archives/cags-five-most-under-appreciated-ds-games-of-2006.php

http://www.dsfanboy.com/2007/01/02/the-titles-you-may-have-missed/

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/02/overlooked-ds-titles-of-2006/

EDIT: nvm didn't see above posts.

Is Bomberman Land Touch really considered an underappreciated game though? It's part of a very well known franchise and I can't imagine it playing much differently than its previous incarnations.

[quote name='MyFootIsPunch']Is Bomberman Land Touch really considered an underappreciated game though? It's part of a very well known franchise and I can't imagine it playing much differently than its previous incarnations.[/QUOTE]

a franchise that has been plagued in the recent years... go play Bomberman on the 360 to get a good idea.

Excellent, well-written article, thanks OP.

I think DQ Rocket Slime and Contact are both excellent. Break Em All I found a bit dissapointing, I'd rather use the D-pad and I feel they've over complicated what should be a simple concept. I'd rather have had a DS version of Arkanoid.

But again, really good article.

bread's done
Back