The 5 Most Under Appreciated DS Games of 2006

As far as underappreciated goes...

I'm having a great time with Children of Mana. A lot of people ragged on it but it's my type of game. Beat on shit in real time. Gain levels and Cash. Buy better equipment. Go beat on some more difficult shit. repeat...

Huh... guess it's time to make my first post here.

I can also vouch for Scurge: Hive as being awesome fun. Very fast paced, and the Scurge infection percent count really keeps me on my toes. And the awesome thing about this game is that you can definitely leave off at a certain point, forget about the game, and come back to it a couple weeks later and not take too long to remember what you have to do next. I'm the kind of gamer that eschews the must-complete-ASAP mentality in favor of playing games when they'll feel most enjoyable -- so I play certain games for just maybe 15 to 30 minutes at a time. As such, I'm still not done with the game (and I bought it shortly after it was released!). But, the structure of Scurge: Hive allows me to play it that way -- and it's fun every time I do.

As far as which version to get -- I'm really not certain what the IGN reviewer was talking about. I have yet to see the GBA version in motion (unless the trailer was the GBA version?) -- but comparing IGN's GBA screenshots to what I see on my DS, they look virtually identical. As such, I'd say go for the DS version -- not only do you get more screen real-estate (which helps), but the on-screen map actually does help out a bit (and can be manipulated via the touch screen while the game pauses itself for Save messages or cinema scenes). That, and if you're going to be playing it on a DS anyway, you can use any of the six buttons of the DS for the game's four commands, instead of being restricted to the GBA's standard four. (For me, that helps out, since I've got Y to shoot, X to grapple, A to switch weapons, and R to jump.)

Now, Contact -- there's a game where your mileage may vary. I enjoyed the game's good music, the somewhat slower pace of action (a good balance for the faster-pace games I've got), the often quirky humor (and references to both classic and very-recent geek pop culture), the varied and often-nice-looking environments, and the way the game centers itself around the breaking of the fourth wall.

I can say that I didn't enjoy the grind the game sometimes required -- especially a money grind to acquire at least one item in the game that was required to progress. (... I've been burnt out on grinds from MMOGs.) And others, I know, said the ending left them feeling a bit empty.

The game, in general, though, left me with a good feeling.

Rocket Slime -- I haven't gotten too far on this one either -- but I can at least say this game has one of the happiest tones of the games I've played so far. And I'm having a good time playing it.

[quote name='furyk']Just as a quick FYI, Magnetica has dropped on clearance at Circuit City.[/QUOTE]

how much is it suppose to be there now? I saw it at my CC but it had a 29.99 sticker on it and it was right at closing so I didn't bother with getting it scanned - but if the price is right - I sure wouldn't mind another puzzle game.

mmmm, good article indeed. I just bought Contact and I want to buy Scurge Hive but I haven't seen a copy instore anywhere. Anyone know which store may carry a copy?

I know Magnetica is almost the same game as Zuma, but I had wayyyy more fun with Zuma on 360. I think Magnetica's ugly, generic art and music style had something to do with it. Zuma's aesthetics are at least slightly catchy. Magnetica also introduces all these annoying hazards and obstacles into certain levels, which I felt bogged it down. Then again, Zuma is impossibly hard towards the end, while I never found Magnetica too much of a pain (but I didn't finish it, either). The bosses in Magnetica are a nice idea but executed badly, as they aren't much fun at all, and puzzle mode is generally a pain too, further into it.
Err, but if you can get it cheap, it's a heck of a lot better than Polarium!

Gamestop has already marked down Scurge (DS) to 19.99. It's listed online at their site.

I grabbed Scurge: Hive because of the article (awesome job, BTW) and Warg's post. Thanks, guys!

Thanks also to q 3 for alerting us to the price drop. It's in-store too, BTW. I picked up a copy tonight from EB/Gamestop/whatever the hell they're calling themselves now. ;)

Now I just have to go back to Wal-Mart and return the copy I got there earlier today for $30. It's still sealed, thankfully.

I can't wait to try out the game. It looks like a real hidden gem and something that will be right up my alley.

I've had my eye on Break 'Em All too for a while now. I might have to break down and grab it soon.

BTW, I'm glad you gave an honorable mention to Mega Man ZX. It's amazing and shouldn't be missed by anyone who's into action games.

I noticed Lost Magic at my local EBG after reading this and picked it up on a whim (got a DS for Christmas, had a $30 GC so I got a case and the game).. it's difficult, that's for sure. I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm hardly into it yet.

[quote name='q 3']Gamestop has already marked down Scurge (DS) to 19.99. It's listed online at their site.[/quote]

If you want to grab Scurge:Hive DS from EB, you might want to do it now.

In my admittedly unscientific sample of GS/EB stores this week, 2 of the 4 I went to didn't have it at all and 1 of the 2 that did had only the last (gutted) copy.

I also haven't seen it at TRU, BB, or Target. Grab it while it's still around.

i just bought bomberman. i played it with friends over the holidays. 5 player multiplayer. was a lot of fun.

I picked up Magentica today based upon someone's suggestion here. Great game. I am a big Zuma fan and this really is a lot fun. Much more difficult, me thinks, but the stylus play is top notch.

Bah.. I think I just added about 4 new things to my wishlist!

I have to second Bomberman Land. I had hesitated to buy it because I saw nothing about it on here... but I ordered it anyway, from buy.com with the google discount. Never having played a Bomberman game before (I know, I know...), I'm still a little new to the classic Bomberman aspect... but the actual main focus of the game is suprisingly fun... I didn't think I'd like it at first look, but, as someone said, some of the minigames are actually pretty challenging.

I love the story mode with the mini games, they look easy but some are tough. I don't understand what to do on the regular bomberman mode, I don't understand the goal, I put a bomb and run away from it but don't know what else to do. Any help. Just a few explanations would help. Mickey

Thanks OP. Your review on Scurge and other posters comments made me pick this up tonight with Yggdra Union and GS/EB (even though I hate giving them my business). They're the only store around with a copy of Yggdra and I've only seen 2 copies of Scurge at my Circuit City, which gets nailed at clearance sales by FW/SD-er's first (one guy bought 90 games at the beginning of the CC $5 sale a few years ago and left nothing for anyone that first night), so I thought I'd get it now before it's gone.

I'm a big fan of the Mana games and a Metroid fanboy, so Scurge sounds right up my alley. I'll have to try it after I get through my Christmas DS games (a good Christmas - Yoshi's Island DS, Final Fantasy III, March of the Minis, & Mega Man ZX).

Great artic;e I already owned Mega Man Zx but I obtained these after reading your article:

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Bomberman Land Touch!
Magnetica
Break Em All

I'm going to pick up Rub Rabbits, scurge and contact in the future.

If anyone wants a copy of Surge for the DS please contact me. I've played it twice and decided that the isometric view isnt really my kind of game.

I would gladly entertain a straight trade for one of the other listed games if someone has played one of them out.

Bomberman is really a bad ass game, but i found it before i read this thread because someone i know bought it and challenged me at it, so, yes i suck at it, and i don't own it yet but the expierience was one that makes me want to go out and buy it ASAP, but unfortunatelly, The auto insurance people have their hands out too.....

Damn car insurance....ruins everything!!! lol

anyways, even though i don't own it, i do give this game the thumbs up!

I know there is always an asshole saying, "Hey! What about [this title]".

I am that asshole. I would add Gunpey DS to the list. Just paid $8 for it last night and love it a lot.

Well, 6-7 months after seeing this list, I picked up Lost Magic on a whim because I saw it used (but in perfect shape, barely played at all) for only $10.

I didn't know if it'd be my kind of game at all, but I remembered this article and couldn't pass up a good cheap ass deal.

And you know what? I actually like it.

The story is simple enough: you're a little boy who wants to save his parents, and in order you to do that, you have to master the magic grandma is teaching you.

Everything is stylus based. Before that makes you run for the hills, it's actually needed here.

To move, you have to highlight your guy, then click where you want to move to. Sounds weird on paper, but it's easy in execution.

For magic spells, you have to draw different shapes for different spells. They start out simply - an upside down V and an S - but then become more complex. For every single hit, you have to press L, draw the spell, and then unleash it. I can see that eventually becoming really hectic and maybe even a bit too much to handle as the drawings become more complex, but so far so good. The whole process sounds like a pain, but it's actually quite intuitive and fluid.

Shortly into the game, you are given the ability to control other monsters. That means you are now able to trigger many fights at once. Very cool.

All of the battle sequences are timed, so it's easy to die if you aren't careful, but it's a lot of fun so far.

The graphics are nothing amazing, but they're pleasant enough. No complaints here.

All in all, I'm very pleasantly surprised by Lost Magic. It's worth a look if you can find it on the cheap.

Nice...Scurge:Hive I never even heard of and it sounds pretty interesting.

I got Lost Magic for 10$CDN NEW and it was so worth it...don't let the difficulty turn you away from it, it's actually not that bad. The hardest levels will maybe take you 3 tries or so, probably less if you don't try to capture any of the monsters. Story sucks, though, but gameplay is real fun (Though I suggest you get screen protectors before you play this game lol)]

Oh ya one more thing for those who play or want to play Lost Magic...at first I thought you had to draw the runes from corner to corner on each of the circles like they show in the manual. I was just browsing some FAQS and I read something that said "Help! my DS is broken the line doesn't always draw correctly!", and the response was "draw smaller". So I tried drawing a really small inverted V and it works great! You can cast stuff waaaaay faster and it makes the game much easier as you can whip out any of those spells in no time. So ya...don't go corner to corner, just do a inverted V or whatever like twice as big as this "V" in the middle of the screen lol

Wow and just noticed on Page 3 how popular this article became...good job :D

bread's done
Back