The Art of UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves -Limited Folio Edition - ONLY 200 are made

Okay, $300 for the folio edition... I can understand that. But $77 for shipping? They could at least take you to dinner first, sheesh.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Odd choice of purchase. Uncharted 2 is just a really sweet action adventure game with your hollywood-esque plot line. Doesn't really pull any sort of emotional attraction to it that would cause someone to buy a $300 art book, you know?

I mean, is there really an Uncharted enthusiast out there would that would die to get their hands on this?[/QUOTE]

That's kinda my thought... give me one of these for Final Fantasy VI and it'd be another story :)

[quote name='takotchi']Okay, $300 for the folio edition... I can understand that. But $77 for shipping? They could at least take you to dinner first, sheesh.[/QUOTE]

It comes with a BluRay HD 15 minute video of Erin Andrews nude... that's why its $77 for shipping.

[quote name='MarkHawk']I mean to own something so rare from a game that people will look back on as an example of a game that helped defined a new generation. You have to admit that in the long run that seems tempting.[/QUOTE]

I agree. This could be a truly worthwhile purchase down the road as a collector's piece.

Or, it could depreciate in value so much that you'd have a hard time selling it for $30 five years from now. It's a bit of a gamble.

The site finally works... and man, that is a nice package. I'm seriously thinking about picking one up on my card... but damn, $300 could buy me another PS3.

So the website says that this is the beginning of the "Art of the Game" series. Apparently, more books are on the way. Which makes the potential flip value of the folio edition dubious at best.

I wonder what is in the pipeline for future editions...

[quote name='Jasonlydon']So the website says that this is the beginning of the "Art of the Game" series. Apparently, more books are on the way. Which makes the potential flip value of the folio edition dubious at best.[/quote]

Not unless each book is a different game... That, I imagine, would make flipping it far less dubious...

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']Not unless each book is a different game... That, I imagine, would make flipping it far less dubious...[/QUOTE]

Oh, I expect it to be a different game each time. I'm just saying that if you have $300+ books out there for multiple games, it dilutes the market to a certain extent.

[quote name='Jasonlydon']Oh, I expect it to be a different game each time. I'm just saying that if you have $300+ books out there for multiple games, it dilutes the market to a certain extent.[/QUOTE]

Or it creates a market... Maybe the guy who jumps in on book ten realizes that book 1 was Uncharted 2...

Honestly, in my experience a series of collectables always seems to keep its value longer than a single release would...

[quote name='Jasonlydon']Oh, I expect it to be a different game each time. I'm just saying that if you have $300+ books out there for multiple games, it dilutes the market to a certain extent.[/QUOTE]

The "cheaper" versions of the book would likely fall victim to market dilution more than the $300 one (especially if it's truly limited to 200 copies).

If the quality of the book is truly as good as some hope and word spreads these 200 copies' value could skyrocket over time if they're kept in great condition. There's always a market for hard-to-find items kept in great condition.

Even if the value doesn't go up and collapses outright, you're still left with a 1-in-200 book regarding one of more highly regarded and awarded games in quite some time.

You know what they say, a suckers born every minute.

[quote name='captainfrizo']If the quality of the book is truly as good as some hope and word spreads these 200 copies' value could skyrocket over time if they're kept in great condition. There's always a market for hard-to-find items kept in great condition.[/QUOTE]

You know, i'd agree, but theres a couple problems. Firstly, its already expensive as hell.

The other problem is its....Uncharted. Who the hell cares? If its were FF or Zelda or some other incredibly popular franchise with a huge loyal following thats been around for decades, neato. But Uncharted? Please.

[quote name='qwerty1']

The other problem is its....Uncharted. Who the hell cares? If its were FF or Zelda or some other incredibly popular franchise with a huge loyal following thats been around for decades, neato. But Uncharted? Please.[/QUOTE]

True, but you could make that exact same statement about FF and Zelda when they were starting off as well.

[quote name='qwerty1']You know what they say, a suckers born every minute.

You know, i'd agree, but theres a couple problems. Firstly, its already expensive as hell.

The other problem is its....Uncharted. Who the hell cares? If its were FF or Zelda or some other incredibly popular franchise with a huge loyal following thats been around for decades, neato. But Uncharted? Please.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'm not so sure about that second point. Sure it doesn't have the lore of Final Fantasy or Zelda, but basically, it's one of, if not the, best-looking videogame series in existence, both graphically and aesthetically. Good art is good art, regardless. Also, the Uncharted games may be short and shallow, but they're also intense and epic.

That said, unless the book is like 1000 pages filled with incredible art, $375 seems a bit much.

An art book for Uncharted?
I can't see where this is coming. Uncharted is a good game, but the art direction is nothing special there. If it's a Bioshock or Final Fantasy art book, I might be interested.

People who buy Ballistic Publishing books are normally those who work in the video game or film industry and who do artistic work themselves.

[quote name='captainfrizo']True, but you could make that exact same statement about FF and Zelda when they were starting off as well.[/QUOTE]

They didn't sell $375 art sets when those games were early off. Hell, they still don't.

[quote name='hbk']An art book for Uncharted?
I can't see where this is coming. Uncharted is a good game, but the art direction is nothing special there. If it's a Bioshock or Final Fantasy art book, I might be interested.[/QUOTE]
See, and that's your opinion. Quite honestly, in my opinion, it's opposite for me. Final Fantasy isn't my cup of tea, but a FF art book would probably be interesting. But, I don't see the point of a Bioshock art book in the least bit. I never understood why people thought the graphics were amazing in that one, because they're really not, again, imo.

Anywho, I got an email about this a couple days before it was on kotaku, and ordered the softcover immediately. I can't wait for it.

[quote name='Invader Bugs']See, and that's your opinion. Quite honestly, in my opinion, it's opposite for me. Final Fantasy isn't my cup of tea, but a FF art book would probably be interesting. But, I don't see the point of a Bioshock art book in the least bit. I never understood why people thought the graphics were amazing in that one, because they're really not, again, imo.

Anywho, I got an email about this a couple days before it was on kotaku, and ordered the softcover immediately. I can't wait for it.[/QUOTE]
i liked the atmosphere of Bioshock

Are you supposed to open a $300 book, or does it just sit there?

I am all for art books, especially game inspired art books. I have "i am 8-bit" and "Okami Official Complete Works", but both of those were under $25. I guess I never got the whole limited edition thing. I don't care if I have one of only x number of something. If a product is great, I want as many people to have it as possible.

[quote name='aegisol']They didn't sell $375 art sets when those games were early off. Hell, they still don't.[/QUOTE]

Actually the Amano FF artbooks will cost you at least $600. If you are getting those from Japan shipping will cost at least $75. And those things rarely shows up on ebay.

[quote name='Strell']Uncharted has art direction? Half untucked shirts must be a greater aesthetic movement than I thought.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much my thoughts.

This adds up to at least 5 games, and paying un-CAG like retail prices. Haven't even considered the shipping yet.

[quote name='Strell']Uncharted has art direction? Half untucked shirts must be a greater aesthetic movement than I thought.[/QUOTE]
Oh for goodness sake, it's art direction, not fashion trend :roll:

Every game has art direction really. In Uncharted, let it be the ruins, gorgeous backgrounds, temples, statues, artifacts, jungles...

[quote name='eau']This adds up to at least 5 games, and paying un-CAG like retail prices. Haven't even considered the shipping yet.[/QUOTE]

But the price of those 5 games will drop in half within 6 moths

[quote name='Serpentor']Yo, there's a group discount... 5+ will net a 20% discount, anybody interested?[/QUOTE]

I havent been able to figure out how to add more than 1 to your cart.

[quote name='62t']But the price of those 5 games will drop in half within 6 moths

I havent been able to figure out how to add more than 1 to your cart.[/QUOTE]

Same here, but I shoot them an e-mail... Man, if the 20% works, that negates shipping. $300 is a lot of dough, but owning something only 200 ever made with certificate of authenticity, i'm tempted...

For $76 shipping I'd expect nothing less than Emily Rose hand delivering it to me in skimpy lingerie. Honestly, how can they even get away with such a ridiculous price for shipping?

[quote name='Serpentor']Oh for goodness sake, it's art direction, not fashion trend :roll:

Every game has art direction really. In Uncharted, let it be the ruins, gorgeous backgrounds, temples, statues, artifacts, jungles...[/QUOTE]

I think most people use the phrase "whether a game has art direction" as short-hand for "whether a game has art direction that is worth giving a damn about."

And I also think that for many people, myself included, the answer for Uncharted 2 is a big "hell no" :)

[quote name='captainfrizo']True, but you could make that exact same statement about FF and Zelda when they were starting off as well.[/QUOTE]

Those games earned their status and as such, perhaps the right to demand such a rediculous price for a book. This is Uncharted. How many more games do you think you'd get before they move on to their next project? I'd say 1. And the previous two, while fun, were not overly memorable to me. They looked great yea but graphics are skin deep.

[quote name='qwerty1']Those games earned their status and as such, perhaps the right to demand such a rediculous price for a book. This is Uncharted. How many more games do you think you'd get before they move on to their next project? I'd say 1. And the previous two, while fun, were not overly memorable to me. They looked great yea but graphics are skin deep.[/QUOTE]

*facepalm*

[quote name='ssjmichael']For $76 shipping I'd expect nothing less than Emily Rose hand delivering it to me in skimpy lingerie. Honestly, how can they even get away with such a ridiculous price for shipping?[/QUOTE]

They are shipping it from Australia, and if they are including insurance and confirmation it is a fair price. If you are shipping it to an Australia address shipping is only about $9

Anyone have an idea of which edition is which (aside from the center being the standard?) in the picture on the product page?

My guess is special - normal - limited

[quote name='SleazyC']Anyone have an idea of which edition is which (aside from the center being the standard?) in the picture on the product page?

My guess is special - normal - limited[/QUOTE]

That's how i interpreted... The Limited one actually allows you to pick the #, the lowest last time i checked is #31. It seems that the "cool" numbers are taken (including #1 and #200 :lol:). My favorite #88 is taken :whistle2:(

To anyone that picked one of these up, did it charge you right away? Also, is there any mention of an actual release date?

[quote name='62t']Actually the Amano FF artbooks will cost you at least $600. If you are getting those from Japan shipping will cost at least $75. And those things rarely shows up on ebay.[/QUOTE]

But are those MSRP? If $600 is MSRP for one book then I stand corrected, but if that's aftermarket prices then that means nothing. These are $375 right out of the gate.

for those bitching, read the website. This is the first in a series of premium art books from the publisher. Why did they go with UC2 first? because it was GOTY last year. Of all the games released last year, UC2 would stand out a bit more than most if you think about it. Plus people here really are downplaying how beautiful a world that was created in this game. The environments have a ton of depth and detail to them that would rival any real Indiana Jones set piece.

bread's done
Back