The Art of UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves -Limited Folio Edition - ONLY 200 are made

[quote name='ssjmichael']for those bitching, read the website. This is the first in a series of premium art books from the publisher. Why did they go with UC2 first? because it was GOTY last year. Of all the games released last year, UC2 would stand out a bit more than most if you think about it. Plus people here really are downplaying how beautiful a world that was created in this game. The environments have a ton of depth and detail to them that would rival any real Indiana Jones set piece.[/QUOTE]

There's an Oddworld too:

http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/limited_editions.php?id=27

After a year there are still a few left. I'd much rather get it than Uncharted 2 personally simply because the concept design would be so much more original. Love to get both though, maybe if my lawsuit against lawsuit against Dunkin Donuts goes through.

The game is cool, but the book is totally pointless. The environment and character design in the game is just generic as hell, not to mention any artsy feeling. If anyone find those background which appears in movies thousands of times unique or special, the standard probably is not set very high. Again, the game is fun to play, but for art appreciation? I'd better find something else that's less generic and try to be realistic.

[quote name='unclenebber']Not a good investment. Who cares about the Uncharted artwork, no matter how limited it is?[/QUOTE]

I think I'd actually care enough to get a regular edition book, though even that's a bit pricey. The character designs in Uncharted 2 may be unspectacular, but the environments are a visual splendor.

The publishers appear to catered towards professional/hardcore digital artists, hence all of their books are expensive and (supposedly) high in quality. The typical gamer (myself included) would probably not get that much out of these books other than seeing pretty pictures, but then it's not geared towards us anyway.

As far as objective worth, the only real difference between their limited and regular editions appear to be the cover and rarity (and maybe a video and a piece of paper with signatures). And very few of their books appear to get sold out...There's apparently an "Art of Oddworld" with its own Folio edition. No idea when it was made, but only the softcover has been sold out, indicating that perhaps buying these as an investment seems like a really bad idea. If you're going to buy something like this, it's probably because you really like this stuff and you have a lot of money to spend.

Didn't Uncharted 2 win the DICE awards for Animation, Visual Engineering, and Art Direction? What the hell are you guys talking about who act like Uncharted 2 isn't worthy of an art book. Have you played and seen that game?

Do you think games like Assassin's Creed and Halo are somehow better choices? Or are you pretentious enough to think only games like Killer7 and MadWorld have 'art direction'?

[quote name='DefaultGen']Didn't Uncharted 2 win the DICE awards for Animation, Visual Engineering, and Art Direction? What the hell are you guys talking about who act like Uncharted 2 isn't worthy of an art book. Have you played and seen that game?

Do you think games like Assassin's Creed and Halo are somehow better choices? Or are you pretentious enough to think only games like Killer7 and MadWorld have 'art direction'?[/QUOTE]

game had good graphics was it "OMG lemme buy an overpriced limited edition art book" good? no

I can see a reason for the high price point ($300) for the limited folio edition, because it exclusivenes, only 200 made and comes with signed numbered certificate. Among serious collectors the price can go up after a while. (by the way alredy over 60 copies are sold out so far). For the regular ($65) and special ($129) editions, the price is complete rip off. They are not in limited quantities, no certificate or anything to justify the high price. However asked shipping cost is just reduqulos :$76.xx . I can not find any justification for that high shipping cost for the limited folio edition.

I got this reply when inquiring the 20% discount for 5+ books.

Thank you for your enquiry.

You cant actually order more than one Folio Edition on an order, and the discount offer does not apply to Special Editions, Limited Editions or Folio Editions - sorry. :whistle2:(

If I can be of any further assistance please dont hesitate to email me.

Kind regards
Sue :)

Not buying this, but I do like notice of limited stuff on the deals page. So thanks for posting this.

I got my Dead Space limited through the deals page, and although I wish I could have kept it, I made $100 selling it a year later.

The comment about another limited art book (Odyssey) being still available after a year is the most salient post IMHO.

[quote name='ivos']I can see a reason for the high price point ($300) for the limited folio edition, because it exclusivenes, only 200 made and comes with signed numbered certificate. Among serious collectors the price can go up after a while. (by the way alredy over 60 copies are sold out so far). For the regular ($65) and special ($129) editions, the price is complete rip off. They are not in limited quantities, no certificate or anything to justify the high price. However asked shipping cost is just reduqulos :$76.xx . I can not find any justification for that high shipping cost for the limited folio edition.[/QUOTE]

$50 is normal for most artbook, like the half life 2. The shipping cost is due to it being ship from Australia. If you are shipping to an Australia address the cost is much more reasonable.

[quote name='ianoid']Not buying this, but I do like notice of limited stuff on the deals page. So thanks for posting this.

I got my Dead Space limited through the deals page, and although I wish I could have kept it, I made $100 selling it a year later.

The comment about another limited art book (Odyssey) being still available after a year is the most salient post IMHO.[/QUOTE]

The Odyssey artbook has a print of 1000 with more than half of them already sold. The Uncharted 2 has a print of 200.

[quote name='tossin']

The publishers appear to catered towards professional/hardcore digital artists, hence all of their books are expensive and (supposedly) high in quality. The typical gamer (myself included) would probably not get that much out of these books other than seeing pretty pictures, but then it's not geared towards us anyway.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. As an entertainment design student, seeing the process is important, especially the rough thumbnails, silhouettes and iterations. It's true that the design in this game isn't super futuristic or fantasy, but as entertainment designers, you might work on a project like this or a Tomb Raider where the environments aren't super crazy by Avatar standards, but still require good design work and a thought process. At the price though, I wouldn't expect too many people to hop on this unless they are hardcore fans of the franchise or want it as a reference for school/work.

65+ of the folio edition sold. Must ahve made their money back already. Considering getting into the over priced book publishing business...

bread's done
Back