The Bourne Conspiracy - Gen. Discussion & Info

I thought the demo wasn't good. The game LOOKS cool, but in terms of gameplay it is liking. For me, if I want a 3rd person shooter, I'd rather play Gears of War. And for melee, DMC 4 is rocking my house right now. It tries to be a jack of all trades, and ends up not being good at them.

Yeah, I really didn't like the demo either. I want to like it, but I just wasn't feeling it with this.

I'm not a fan of context-sensitive minigames that just push you to last checkpoint when you fuck up (ie: Jericho). It would have been cooler if I had to improvise instead, like go through another room if the security grates closed down.

I only played up to a bit of the second level. I really like the fighting bits, but I didn't like the gunplay.

Wasn't this supposed to be based off of the books and not the movie? I think that explains the lack of Matt Damon - everyone just expects Damon to be in it because few people actually read the book. When you hear "Bourne", they think Damon. The actual title of the game is "Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Conspiracy" - Vivendi got the rights to it from Ludlum's estate, not from Universal.

[quote name='MisterHand']Two of the demo levels are from The Bourne Identity, and they are clearly modeled after the film.[/quote]
Which were taken from the books, no? People are equating the visuals from the game to the visual of the movie, and forgetting that they got the movie from the book.

i was just reading a magazine.. maybe the newest egm? where i though it stated that matt damon said he was done with the bourne series, which is why he didn't want his likeness being used. Then he signed on to do a fourth movie, but the game was too far into development..

... something like that.

[quote name='JJSP']Which were taken from the books, no? People are equating the visuals from the game to the visual of the movie, and forgetting that they got the movie from the book.[/QUOTE]The book is very different from the film -- almost indistinguishable except for some high-level plot points. In the game, the characters have the same hairstyles, clothing, etc. It's clearly taken right from the films.

[quote name='MisterHand']The book is very different from the film -- almost indistinguishable except for some high-level plot points. In the game, the characters have the same hairstyles, clothing, etc. It's clearly taken right from the films.[/quote]

On gametreailers TV they said the game was something around 40% movie related and 60% book related.

played it, thought the combat was pretty cool, but having to reload every time you miss a button and the lack of a dodge button or ability to blind fire means I won't be renting this.

I'd heard it had quicktime event button presses. Haven't had a chance to play it just yet. Really not a fan of those.

[quote name='zengonzo']I'd heard it had quicktime event button presses.[/QUOTE]That would be an understatement. About half the demo is quicktime button presses.

still haven't gotten a chance to play it, but the info on gametrailers w/jeff keiley made it look at least decent.

[quote name='MisterHand']That would be an understatement. About half the demo is quicktime button presses.[/quote]

Gross.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']I thought it would be worth a rental, until I got to the driving segment. Holy lord that was awful.[/QUOTE]
I didn't play that long but from what I did I thought it was worthy to go on the Gamefly queue when I reactivate again. I'll have to see how much of a turn off the driving is.

Played the demo for a bit and couldn't really get through the whole thing. The fighting just doesn't interest me - it's a chore to get your adrenaline up to a takedown event (which are pretty neat), but the actual hand-to-hand you do feels robotic and at times unfair. I felt that I could never properly block attacks and ended up getting my ass handed to me too many times to be worth completing the demo - I wouldn't have minded so much if your health regenerated during fight sequences, but no dice there.

Nice when a demo comes out that lets me know I'm saving $60 in the future.

[quote name='MisterHand']That would be an understatement. About half the demo is quicktime button presses.[/QUOTE]

False.

There are a handful on the first level. I don't recall any during the second level, and there are none during the third level.

[quote name='Corvin']False.

There are a handful on the first level. I don't recall any during the second level, and there are none during the third level.[/quote]
There are a couple in the driving level when you head out the tunnel.

I liked the demo alot, however I thought it took WAAAAY to long to defeat enemies on the harder difficulties. It really took you away from the action, in the movies, Bourne never spends 5 minutes blocking on just one guard. He grabs the guys face and slams it into a wall. That is one thing I think they need to adjust.

[quote name='darthbudge']I liked the demo alot, however I thought it took WAAAAY to long to defeat enemies on the harder difficulties. It really took you away from the action, in the movies, Bourne never spends 5 minutes blocking on just one guard. He grabs the guys face and slams it into a wall. That is one thing I think they need to adjust.[/QUOTE]
But wouldn't that defeat the purpose of choosing a harder difficulty?

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']But wouldn't that defeat the purpose of choosing a harder difficulty?[/quote]

But it just broke up the pace. It wasn't that I wasn't playing the game well, it was just that there were so many punches that I had to get in on the enemy. If there was some uber quick, but hard way to finish enemies, then I would be all for it.

Hand to hand combat is really boring. Block/dodge series of attacks then attack then repeat. I couldn't come across any counterattacks where you can interrupt your enemy in the middle of their assault. It was like a turn base RPG: Your turn, my turn, your turn, my turn. And you can just spam the dodge button so there's no point in timing anything. You can hardly move around so there is no position advantage. It's like a really bad fighting game and the QTE's make it seem like watching a show instead of playing a game.

And does it seem like there's some kind of delay when punching enemies? It seems like Bourne really takes a long time to pull out a punch so I have to mashing the X button 3-4 times just to get him to start punching.

[quote name='Corvin']False.

There are a handful on the first level. I don't recall any during the second level, and there are none during the third level.[/quote]
There's 1 on the third level...

I tried this demo last night and my main bitch about it is that the hand-to-hand is somewhat typical for games. You get a three punch combo then afterwards you're vulnerable for a second. Is this how Bourne fights?? He doesn't just throw three punches then rest, he throws a flury of hits and blocks all strung together. I don't think this game really represents the Bourne character; I think it's an OK representation but the combat is still lacking (especially when fighting the second level boss after he pulls out that fucking knife).

Ugh, well I was hopeful for this, since I like the movies.

So I fire it up... and find, it has... DUN DUN DUN... quicktime events. I hadn't seen anyone mention those before I tried it. I cannot fully express in words my deep-seated, festering hatred for quicktime events. Surprised byt he first one, failed, restarted, failed again cause I hit the wrong button, restarted, made it, went on my merry way, surprised again, failed, said screw it, shut the game off.

It's not that these things are hard, they're just friggin irritating. I can cope with the fact that I need to restart something because I got my ass kicked to hell, but I do not care to tolerate the fact that I have to restart because I failed to push a randomly selected button in the 1 second of time I was alotted to do so.

Ok, sorry, there ends the quicktime rant. I obviously didn't get very far, so I really can't speak on other aspects of the game, but I wasn't really impressed with the hand to hand. I felt more like I was watching a movie instead of doing anything. Button mash until it says to press B, then you press B, and he does some fancy head smacking move that I have absolutely nothing to do with (aside fromt he pressing of B)... Every fight feels like a cutscene to me. It really failed to capture any of the movie magic for me.

i got around to playing it, started on normal and thats pretty hard. the fighting, camera and shooting all feel a little sloppy to me. i made it past the first level only failing when i didnt hit the quick time buttons fast enough and that only happened like 3 times ( another thing that takes you out of the action is the loading times in between the times you die) so now im playing the second level using the guns, to me the camera is aweful while your using the gun or trying to run with the gun, the camera is to close, i had enemies running right at me from the side that i couldn't see while my gun was out, this happened soooo many times i never finished the level let alone the demo. when i was watching the vids for this game i was so excited now i doubt i'll even rent it. one thing it does right is it makes you feel like you are bourne especially when your running from gun fire and jumping from ledges and what not.

[quote name='darthbudge']But it just broke up the pace. It wasn't that I wasn't playing the game well, it was just that there were so many punches that I had to get in on the enemy. If there was some uber quick, but hard way to finish enemies, then I would be all for it.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. The boss on the second level took way too long to beat on hard. Overall though I was surprised that I enjoyed the demo as much as I did.

I really enjoyed the demo and will definitely pick this one up eventually. My only gripe is with the driving... it's awful.

This might probably apply to me, but after playing the demo, I appreciate the movie trilogy a lot more. I suck at the game, even though it's entertaining. It really ruins the intense action I'm used to with Bourne movies.

I know everyone hates this game, but I think Bourne would have been much better if it borrowed the combat system from Enter the Matrix.

That was ultimate bad ass fighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn42L57ygZI

Yea, it's buggy and the graphics suck. But I think that combat system would be amazing for a game like Bourne with that next gen make over. Of course enhanced, but I still think it's really awesome, and has some sweet animation. And I could definitely vision Bourne Supremacy with that combat system.

[quote name='TruVisionary']There's 1 on the third level...[/QUOTE]

the point still stands. "Half the demo" does not contain timed button presses.

The only thing I was disappointed in was when fighting multiple enemies. When fighting one guy Bourne does a cool finishing move using the environment. I fully expected Bourne to throw the first guy into the second guy when there are two of them. Very disappointing.

The demo dropped the game from "maybe buy" to "possibly rent, if I'm bored and there's nothing else." I don't really care one way or another about QTEs, but I did the find combat to be too annoying to bother finishing the demo. I didn't even make it past the Colonel on the third floor (I think?) before loading up a new game.

Ah well, it'll still find love once it gets to the bargain bin, I think.

DAMN you 360!

I was feeling the urge to play some Enter the Matrix and bought it for 2 bucks. Brought it home and it wasn't compatible! :cry:

I know it's shitty 360 gods, but I want to play it!

The demo was enjoyable enough, but this is definitely one of those 'wait until clearance' games. By far the worst part was the driving - it was terrible in it's own right, but having just come off GTA4 made it all the worse.

I agree with whoever mentioned earlier about the on-foot levels being like watching a movie; rather than really controlling Bourne, it's feels more like you're propelling him down a very set path.

[quote name='Scorch']No one's bumped this since the game came out!? The game's freakin' awesome[/quote]

I liked the demo but the game seems to not have been received to well. Even tho the I liked the Demo a lot I don't think I should pay full price.

I signed it out from work. It's not a bad game, it's just not worth full price. I'd definitely recommend it as soon as it gets a price drop.

The first level of the demo in the embassy or whatever it was I was digging a lot, even if the combat wasn't very strategic, it still looks really good and feels more visceral than the fighting in other games. But that stupid subway level is just retarded. After I got hit by the train in the middle of a fight I couldn't get out of nor actually even see the train coming, I just stopped. Bargain price or rental, thanks.

I rented this game on Friday and finished it last night. Definitely a great rental, but I wouldn't suggest buying it. The level toward the end where you're in the sniper shootout with Clive Owen is great fun.

One thing I noticed is that the game doesn't get any harder. Fist fighting the first boss you meet is exactly the same as fighting the final boss in the game. The only thing the game does to make it a little tougher is give you a time limit in some sections.

Still, a perfect weekend rental if you're a fan of the movies.

bread's done
Back