The CAG List of the Best Games on Nintendo DS! Nominate games for July voting!!

For your consideration to the list:

Dementium: The Ward (got IGN's vote for best FPS on DS)
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
FF12: Revenant Wings
Fron Mission
Geometry Wars: Galaxies
Orcs and Elves
Sonic Rush Adventure

I don't know that all of these games belong on it (haven't played a few of them), but all have received quite decent reviews, so let's discuss!

[quote name='johnnypark']
Dementium: The Ward (got IGN's vote for best FPS on DS)
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
FF12: Revenant Wings
Fron Mission
Geometry Wars: Galaxies
Orcs and Elves
Sonic Rush Adventure
[/quote]
Okay, anyone else like to weigh in on any of these? Out of all those, I've only played DQM:J, and I'd like to stay objective anyway even if I did have a strong opinion one way or another.

Geometry Wars: Galaxies is a fun diversion
Sonic Rush Adventure can be recommended to those that enjoyed the first Sonic Rush

While not great games overall (I like them), Feel the Magic/Rub Rabbits do make excellent use of all of the features of the DS for those who would be interested in something like that.

well we've got two nominations for geometry wars galaxies and sonic rush adventure. anyone like to weigh in whether they should be considered "best" or "must have" games?

I'll throw in my two cents from the games johnnypark listed.

Front Mission is a must have for people who are into strategy games I think. I've only played the import version though, so I can't speak too much on the story itself but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Revenant Wings isn't that great. While it can be fun here and there, it doesn't last very long and it feels like a zerg fest in the sense where you just send everyone to attack a single unit and let it go from there. Might be worth picking up once the price lowers for Final Fantasy die hards, but that's about it. I don't think I can really recommend it to anyone outside of that.

I didn't like Orcs and Elves very much. It was entertaining, but definitely not a "best game on the DS." I really only bought it for the stylus anyway. :lol:

I'd add Front Mission; it's a solid contender for second best strategy game on the DS. And currently $19.99 at GS/EB, too.

Oh, and you can throw Cooking Mama 2 on there next Cooking Mama. Same thing, but better, albeit a bit more expensive.

Okay, it looks like Geometry Wars and Front Mission are in. Anyone else like to opine on Cooking Mama 2?

EDIT: Put Geometry Wars under "shooters." Not sure if that's the best place. I guess there are first-person shooters, and there are top-view shooters.

[quote name='banpeikun']Anyone else like to opine on Cooking Mama 2?[/quote]

Well it's slightly better than Cooking Mama 1 in most ways, so it should be a shoe-in. Probably not worth $30 to most though.

[quote name='Josef']Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker is my portable game of the year for 2007. It deserves a spot on your list.[/quote]

I'll echo the recommendation, even if Picross DS would probably be my handheld GOTY.

DQM:J is very fun (addictively so), I picked it up to try something different since I've never tried any Dragon Quest or Pokemon type games (which this is said to be a mixture of) and have really enjoyed it.

[quote name='banpeikun']Anyone have any thoughts on any of these games?

Mario Party DS
Advance Wars Days of Ruin
Mario and Sonic[/QUOTE]

Throwing in my 2 cents. I think Mario Party and Advance Wars should both be on the list.

Advance wars is easy , if Dual Strike is on the list then so should Days of Ruin. My brothers picked up the game when it came out and both agree it's AT LEAST as good as Dual Strike if not better in some ways , but also a tad worse in some ways.

Mario Party I would also say since it actually (mostly) succeds at making Mario Party portable. I think sequals to MPDS will be better if they add in Wi-fi play and that's really the only thing that I think might hold this back really.

Mario and Sonic I'm not really sure about. To borrow some thoughts from 1up , The Ds version of the game plays better for a single player experience but fails a bit as a party game. If your looking for a multiplayer affair , go for the Wii version , but If you want a solo game get the DS version.

Also I'd like to make a mention that Circuit City has DS game on sale this week 20% off. I thought it might be a good idea to add that to the main post.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Still no Dementium? :whistle2:|[/quote]Did anyone else chime in to support Dementium? All it takes is a nomination and 2 votes for (in the absence of any votes against, which probably just means it goes into the "love it or hate it" category.

[quote name='CorporalJackson']I Just bought a DS what do you think are the top 2 RPG's Action games and Stradegys?[/quote]Personally I think the top 2 RPGs are FF3 and Pokemon D/P. Top 2 strategies have to be the two Advance Wars DS games (adding Days of Ruin to that list now).

Ps: Mario party needs another vote to make it on.

I'll toss Bomberman DS (the original - not "Land Touch', etc.) into nomination as well. It's solid Bomberman action that's playable over the single-cart download play for multiplayer, and can be had on the cheap almost every other week at Fry's for ~$10. Not a whole lot of story to it, but it's portable Bomberman for cheap. Awesome if you've got a group of DS owners around.

If you want your Bomberman with a side of mini-games, try out the Bomberman Land series as well. Pretty fun.

[quote name='banpeikun']Did anyone else chime in to support Dementium? All it takes is a nomination and 2 votes for (in the absence of any votes against, which probably just means it goes into the "love it or hate it" category.[/quote]

I'll support Dementium.

You might want to make an "If you're a fan of the series" section that could include Bomberman and Mario Party.

Since I always seem to be the one to bring up sales on ds games that are on the list , Play-Asia's Year of the Rat sale is going on now through the end of the month and Ouendan 2 and Nodame Cantabile are both featured as part of it.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Since I always seem to be the one to bring up sales on ds games that are on the list , Play-Asia's Year of the Rat sale is going on now through the end of the month and Ouendan 2 and Nodame Cantabile are both featured as part of it.[/quote]good call. might have to pick up nodame.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Since I always seem to be the one to bring up sales on ds games that are on the list , Play-Asia's Year of the Rat sale is going on now through the end of the month and Ouendan 2 and Nodame Cantabile are both featured as part of it.[/QUOTE]

Felt like adding to that , if you order both games together you get an addition $2 off!:):applause:

Hey 2 bucks is 2 bucks.

i noticed that with ouendan 1+2 also. i decided to pass on nodame. i was going to order it with the ffiv trading arts figures, but they're sold out.

Don't want to start a flame war but I always considered Zelda to be an RPG.

Anyways, I have another suggestion to keep in mind, Anno 1701. Supposedly the PC version got very favorable reviews, and this is supposed to be a very good port, the DS version garnering pretty favorable reviews as well. Excellent interface and great depth of play for a handheld/portable game. Officially I don't think it's out in the U.S. but I think it will be soon- just keep it on the radar?

Ruahrc

[quote name='Sleepkyng']wow, no love for Revenant Wings?[/quote]i think no one even played it because it released @ $40 haha

EDIT: err $40, not $10

[quote name='banpeikun']i think no one even played it because it released @ $10 haha[/quote]

That's what I was thinking. No one knows if it's any good because they refuse to pay $40 for it!

I got a copy w/ a 25% off coupon at Best Buy, so it was about $28, but I've yet to crack it open b/c I haven't finished 12 on PS2.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']wow, no love for Revenant Wings?[/QUOTE]

I'd love to give you an opinion on it...once it gets down in the $20 range.

okay split the OP into two parts. the first post will be used for current nominations, and the second post will be the actual list. that way you can see from a glance anything that needs your input.

bread's done
Back