The CAG List of the Best Games on Nintendo DS! Nominate games for July voting!!

I would probably move Contra 4 from the "Beat Em Up" category to the "Shooter" category. I haven't played it yet but every other game in the Contra series has been a shooter.

Also, did anyone suggest Professor Layton and the Curious Village yet?

[quote name='Josef']I would probably move Contra 4 from the "Beat Em Up" category to the "Shooter" category. I haven't played it yet but every other game in the Contra series has been a shooter.

Also, did anyone suggest Professor Layton and the Curious Village yet?[/quote]Your point about Contra is reasonable, but I thought it had more in common with Viewtiful Joe than with Metroid Prime Hunters and grouped it by association, rather by genre title strictly. It's certainly open to more discussion. I'll add Professor Layton to the OP.

My [SIZE=-1]financée [/SIZE]just finished Professor Layton!
Now its my turn to get back into the game and I am excited!!

Can't comment on the games currently up for evaluation, but to say, I really like the way you've arranged it all in the OP, bankeipun, so we can keep up with nominations.

[quote name='mickeyp']professor Layton is good,
y no votes yet for Phoenix Wright 2+3?[/quote]

I have a feeling most of us see the listing more for the series, since the games are so similar. I don't think anyone who's loved the 1st one enough to nominate it disliked the others enough to not want them listed, so it's kind of assumed if you like one, you'll like them all.

I could be wrong, though.

Any new suggestions for games? So far I've got bought most of the recommended one's and have loved 'em all for the most part (wasn't much into the flask focus one myself). Thanks for any feedback on new games!

after picking up Anno 1701 i would like to vote for it as well, the stylus control was well used and made for an enjoyable game to chillout to.

[quote name='banpeikun']Adding them both to the list. Anno 1701 in strategy and Professor Layton in puzzle sound about right?[/QUOTE]

yeah, thats where they make the most sense concerning genre tags

This thread should be reorganized (or make a new thread) so that we have "best of (insert genre)" since so many people here have different tastes and genre preferences.

[quote name='option.iv']This thread should be reorganized (or make a new thread) so that we have "best of (insert genre)" since so many people here have different tastes and genre preferences.[/QUOTE]

You mean like this?

[quote name='banpeikun']Due to popular request and the ever-popular new threads titled "what games should I buy for DS?" I will be maintaining this list of consensus must-have games for Nintendo DS.

Old sales:
Play-Asia: Ouendan 2 $29.90, Nodame Cantabile $14.90 2/11 - 2/29
Circuit City: All NDS games 20% OFF 2/3 - 2/9
Frys: Contra 4 for $19.99 ($10 off MSRP) no known expiration
Best Buy: Jam Session for $19.99 12/30/07 - 1/05/08
ALL GAMES ARE BUY 2 GET 1 FREE AT TOYS R US FROM 10/14 - 10/20
Drawn to Life $19.99 ($10 off) at Best Buy 10/21-10/27
Free accessory kit with DS Lite at Circuit City 10/21-10/27
Phoenix Wright: Justice for All $14.99 at Amazon (unknown exp) Amazon currently OOS

Brain Age 2 $13.99 at Circuit City 10/28 - 11/4
Current sales:
Microcenter: Purchase a new DS Lite & get any 2 DS games free! 11/12 - 12/2
Best Buy: $10 off any game $29.99 or more

Action:
  • Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
  • Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
  • Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Adventure:

• Hotel Dusk: Room 215
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Beat Em' Up:
  • Contra 4
  • Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble

Fighting:
  • Bleach: The Blade of Fate
  • Jump Ultimate Stars*
Music:
  • Daigasso Band Brothers*
  • Electroplankton**
  • Elite Beat Agents
  • Jam Sessions**
  • Nodame Cantabile*
  • Ouendan*/Ouendan 2*
  • Taiko no Tatsujin DS*

Pinball:
  • Metroid Prime Pinball

Platformer:
  • Drawn to Life+
  • New Super Mario Brothers+
  • Sonic Rush
  • Super Mario 64 DS
  • Super Princess Peach+
  • Yoshi's Island DS+

Puzzle:
  • Meteos
  • Picross DS
  • Planet Puzzle League
  • Professor Layton
  • Puzzle Quest
  • Tetris DS
Racing:
  • Diddy Kong Racing DS
  • Mario Kart DS+

RPG:
  • Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
  • Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
  • Etrian Odyssey
  • Final Fantasy III
  • Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
  • Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
Shooter:
  • Metroid Prime: Hunters
  • Geometry Wars: Galaxies

Strategy:
  • Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
  • Advance Wars: Dual Strike
  • Anno 1701
  • Front Mission
Most Creative/Fun/Intuitive use of Stylus/DS:
  • Kirby: Canvas Curse
  • Trauma Center: Under the Knife
  • WarioWare: Touched!
Misc.:
  • Animal Crossing: Wild World+
  • Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day
  • Brain Age 2: More Brain Training
  • Big Brain Academy
  • Clubhouse Games
  • Cooking Mama
  • Nintendogs+**
Love them or hate them:
  • Age of Empires (Strategy)
  • Children of Mana (Action)
  • Contact (RPG)
  • Heroes of Mana (Strategy)
  • Nanostray (Schmup)
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (RPG)
  • Resident Evil DS (Action)
  • Rune Factory (RPG)
If you're a fan of the series...
  • Bomberman
  • Mario Party
*import games
**it's not a game!!
+also suggested for younger audiences

credit to crystalklear64 for compiling the initial list.[/QUOTE]

haha, shit, it's way too late for me. Disregard whatever I say then.

btw, what genre do those contra, metal slug, etc. fall under? Shooter? Adventure? Action? I never thought they'd be "beat 'em ups."

btw, I would recommend Nanostray 2 for shooter, or rather, shmup. Haven't played the first one, but it's an excellent looking shooter and the difficulty levels are pretty much spot on.

Oh and if you want to start a sports section. I'd like to nominate Prince of Tennis Crystal Drive. Though I don't think anyone else here has played it to second this opinion. It by far outshines Sega Superstars Tennis though.

[quote name='option.iv']haha, shit, it's way too late for me. Disregard whatever I say then.

btw, what genre do those contra, metal slug, etc. fall under? Shooter? Adventure? Action? I never thought they'd be "beat 'em ups."

btw, I would recommend Nanostray 2 for shooter, or rather, shmup. Haven't played the first one, but it's an excellent looking shooter and the difficulty levels are pretty much spot on.

Oh and if you want to start a sports section. I'd like to nominate Prince of Tennis Crystal Drive. Though I don't think anyone else here has played it to second this opinion. It by far outshines Sega Superstars Tennis though.[/QUOTE]

I'd second the notion of a sports section , even though I can't really think of too many sports games that are good for the ds. The only two that come to mind right away that I would nominate would be True Swing Golf and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2008 (which surprisingly , the ds version if supposed to be the best version of this years game according to gamespot).

Okay, going to add the following nominees:

Ninja Gaiden
Nanostray 2
Prince of Tennis Crystal Drive
True Swing Golf
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2008

i'd like to make the following category name changes:

old category -> new category
action -> adventure
adventure -> adventure (text)
beat em up -> action

don't have any good idea for the shooter category, since it includes MPH (first person shooter), geometry wars (some kind of shooting), and maybe nanostray (schmup).

btw, which category should ninja gaiden go into?

Might I suggest that you remove all the crazy caps in the title now that it's a stick. At least the attention part. Makes it look a bit more professional. :]

[quote name='TheYellowDart']Anno 1701: Dawn of Discovery. Cannot put it down.[/QUOTE]

Yeah -- but I can't put down Age of Empires long enough to get too deep into Anno 1701.

[quote name='TheYellowDart']Anno 1701: Dawn of Discovery. Cannot put it down.[/QUOTE]

And I cannot find it anywhere. Damn GS exclusive title!

I will second TWEWY. However, this process of accepting votes after a certain time frame and closing polls sounds a little iffy. I mean, most of these games had only single digit votes to show for.

edit: maybe you should at least post also how many nominations each game had, to give us an idea whether a game has a good supportive following or not. I know it's my opinion, but a lot of these games listed don't seem like the "best of the best".

[quote name='option.iv']I will second TWEWY. However, this process of accepting votes after a certain time frame and closing polls sounds a little iffy. I mean, most of these games had only single digit votes to show for.

edit: maybe you should at least post also how many nominations each game had, to give us an idea whether a game has a good supportive following or not. I know it's my opinion, but a lot of these games listed don't seem like the "best of the best".[/quote]do you mean that games should have 10+ votes? most of the games on the list were grandfathered in when there was no voting necessary, and thus had just one nomination. it's not a definitive list, since there's no practical way to conduct continuous polling with a sufficient quorum of participants.

i also don't consider a lot of those games "best of the best" or "must have" but i'm trying to remain as neutral as i can, since i'm maintaining the list. the best solution i can think of that this point is to have a "culling" once every few months where people can vote to remove a game. that'd be pretty easy to set up through surveymonkey or something.

[quote name='banpeikun']do you mean that games should have 10+ votes? most of the games on the list were grandfathered in when there was no voting necessary, and thus had just one nomination. it's not a definitive list, since there's no practical way to conduct continuous polling with a sufficient quorum of participants.

i also don't consider a lot of those games "best of the best" or "must have" but i'm trying to remain as neutral as i can, since i'm maintaining the list. the best solution i can think of that this point is to have a "culling" once every few months where people can vote to remove a game. that'd be pretty easy to set up through surveymonkey or something.[/QUOTE]

Actually I consider the list fairly comprehensive. I check a lot of "must have" game lists across various game sites and out of my own Best of the DS list , these are the "only" games missing:

Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2 : March of the Minis
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 (in nomination)
The Simpsons Game
Lunar Knights
Izuna : Legend of the Unemployed Ninja
Spectrobes
Honeycomb Beat
New York Times Crosswords
Glory Days 2
Duck Amuck
Chibi Robo
Megaman ZX Advent

As for the idea of a "culling" every so often to remove games off the list that maybe no longer deserve to be on it , I'm not opposed to the idea , but in that case I say we should do away with the idea of voting in games.

That way if someone feels a game should be on the list then it gets added but next time the culling happens everyone can decide whether it actually needs to be on the list or not. Better to have more variety on the list than less I say.:)

Again, it's most likely me, but a lot of those games seem like they're not within the same league as each other. IF they're kept, they might as well fall under the love it or hate it section.

Front Mission (though I personally enjoy it) was a remake and nothing about it was mind blowing, especially in comparison to the other games with larger followings.

Also, Etrian Oddysey was definitely not everyone's cup of tea. I personally didn't see anything great about it as well.

If your taking nominations to take games off, I would choose those two.

But yeah, I can see where you're coming from. Being neutral is extremely hard. Shit, I don't even know what's neutral anymore. I'm just afraid of fanboyism becoming the voice for the other larger demographic.

Duck Amuck should likely be a love/hate game. Reviews were all over the place on this one.

Frankly, the love/hate list is awesome, because frankly, I love most of the games on that list, and it allows them to get some attention when they otherwise might have been left off.

bread's done
Back