The CAG Runners Thread (all experience levels welcome)

[quote name='tgk2044']Finished my half in 1:36:19. My first truly trained half, so I'm happy with that time. Might shoot for under 1:30 this fall for another.

Also, goodbye to one of my toenails... Didn't happen directly because of the half, but it sure finished it off.[/QUOTE]

super solid dude. way to go. My first half was 1:35:56 and this year I got it down to 1:20:20

[quote name='tgk2044']
37269847_zps10ffc3ad.jpg

Finished my half in 1:36:19. My first truly trained half, so I'm happy with that time. Might shoot for under 1:30 this fall for another.

Also, goodbye to one of my toenails... Didn't happen directly because of the half, but it sure finished it off.[/QUOTE]

Fixed! And congrats!

Also congrats bhk - keep it up!

And congrats usickenme for your race! Great times (even if you don't think so).

So reading Born to Run - who here has tried iskiate/chia seeds? Also, yeah, the book sounds wildly exaggerated. Still kind of inspiring though.

Just poking my head in here and saying hello. Despite playing a little basketball, I was never one for much running. I ran my first 5k last summer and had a lot of fun. Going to run another one on 6/15 and my goal is to beat my previous time.

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']Just poking my head in here and saying hello. Despite playing a little basketball, I was never one for much running. I ran my first 5k last summer and had a lot of fun. Going to run another one on 6/15 and my goal is to beat my previous time.[/QUOTE]

But you ain't got no legs, Lieutenant Dan.

Pretty productive week for me. I've hit a bit of a plateau in my weight loss, so I'm hoping the increase in mileage will help? Maybe?

2 Miles on Saturday
3 Miles on Monday
4 Miles on Wednesday
40 minutes Elliptical on Thursday

Hoping to pick back up on Saturday and Sunday.

Tuesday's Run:

Distance: 3.01 mi
Time: 26:29
Avg Pace: 8:48 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 41 ft
Calories: 366 C

This mornings run:

Distance: 3.00 mi
Time: 26:42
Avg Pace: 8:53 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 111 ft
Calories: 365 C

I've been keeping at it.

Ran 50 miles last week and on track for 40 this week.

I have a half marathon of May 19th.

Forgot to mention joesnewbalanceoutlet.com has $1 shipping (until may 12) and great deals in shoes in general

Really happy with my progress the past few weeks.

On average, I'd probably run around 2 miles a day 3 or 4 times a day. I'm now up roughly 4 miles a day 3 or 4 times a week, with an additional smaller run once on the weekends. I know it's not nearly as much as most of you guys do, but I feel like it's progress.

Posting in this thread has sort of reignited my interest in running.

for records. I simply use iCal on my computer/ phone. For runs, I use Nike+ with my watch.

I used Run Calc to calculate paces/ times for races.

Solid 5 mile run this morning.

Distance: 5.00 mi
Time: 44:59
Avg Pace: 8:59 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 161 ft
Calories: 604 C

On another note, I keep forgetting to mention I've been trying "rhythmic breathing" on runs after reading this article in Runner's World.

It's basically the notion of breathing in rhythm so that you aren't always exhaling on the same footstrike (left or right) as when you exhale you lose core stability--thus exhaling on the same side all the time can leave that leg more prone to injury.

It's basically doing something like inhaling for 3 strides, then exhaling for 2 strides so that the exhales alternate foot strike sides. I'd been going with the 3:2 ratio, but tried 4:3 today and that seemed to work a bit better for my current pace/fitness level. Just upped it to 3:2 on some hills etc.

There's also a book (that article is adapted from) that I picked up, but haven't started reading yet that has more details and several training plans for different distance races etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Runners-World...qid=1368286506&sr=8-1&keywords=running+on+air

My last race was nov 2011. It was a half and I completed it in 1h52m. I've been injured ever since and have not ran since then. Had surgery 12 weeks ago and am finally running 2 miles every other day or every other third day (my adductors still a little tight). Nice to see some other runners here!

Btw I am on DailyMile and Endomondo if anyone wants to friend.

DISTANCE 2.57 mi
DURATION 27m:31s
AVG. SPEED 10:43 min/mi

Last edited by a moderator:
Just hit the treadmill today as it was 85+ by the time I was able to run.

Time: 26:22
Avg Pace: 8:49 min/mi

I've been following usickenme's advice (not perfectly though -- life happens) for a while now. I've definitely seen improvement, so I just wanted to say thanks. :applause:

My workout today was primarily focused on swimming/weightlifting, but I managed to hit a quick run afterwards.

1.5 miles
9:49
~6:33 pace

Grabbed some new running-related gear over the past few days.

These socks are awesome (though pricey): http://www.brooksrunning.com/Infini...&cgid=mens-apparel-socks#sthash.K5prHCYN.dpbs

Got them for $13.50 a pair with free shipping from www.runningwarehouse.com. I have some issues with blisters and foot pain sometimes, so I don't skimp on shoes or socks.

Also grabbed a new foam roller--The Grid: http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point...68672661&sr=8-1&keywords=the+grid+foam+roller

Should have got that one to start with as I was interested in it, but opted for cheaper plain one. The grid is much better than the plain one I bought last year that's already breaking down some (softer spots). Much firmer and the grid textures help a lot. It also shouldn't break down since it's a layer of hard foam around a hard plastic pipe.

Last, finally invested in water bottle with handstrap since it's getting hot and I'm not a big fan of wearing my water belt that has two 10oz bottles: http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Quickd...r=1-1&keywords=nathan+hand+strap+water+bottle

[quote name='blindinglights']I've been following usickenme's advice (not perfectly though -- life happens) for a while now. I've definitely seen improvement, so I just wanted to say thanks. :applause:

My workout today was primarily focused on swimming/weightlifting, but I managed to hit a quick run afterwards.
[/QUOTE]

Hey you're welcome!

Got an ok 4 miler in this morning. First 3 miles were solid, 4th was a struggle with walking some hills as my legs were pretty dead from running on consecutive days for the first time in a couple months and running on an empty stomach this morning.

Distance: 4.00 mi
Time: 37:06
Avg Pace: 9:17 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 72 ft
Calories: 481 C

Mile 1- 9:07
Mile 2- 9:04
Mile 3- 8:58
Mile 4- 9:58

[quote name='dmaul1114']Solid 5 mile run this morning.

Time: 44:59
Avg Pace: 8:59 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 161 ft
Calories: 604 C

On another note, I keep forgetting to mention I've been trying "rhythmic breathing" on runs after reading this article in Runner's World.

It's basically the notion of breathing in rhythm so that you aren't always exhaling on the same footstrike (left or right) as when you exhale you lose core stability--thus exhaling on the same side all the time can leave that leg more prone to injury.

It's basically doing something like inhaling for 3 strides, then exhaling for 2 strides so that the exhales alternate foot strike sides. I'd been going with the 3:2 ratio, but tried 4:3 today and that seemed to work a bit better for my current pace/fitness level. Just upped it to 3:2 on some hills etc.

There's also a book (that article is adapted from) that I picked up, but haven't started reading yet that has more details and several training plans for different distance races etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Runners-World...qid=1368286506&sr=8-1&keywords=running+on+air[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Back when I used to run a lot, I just did that breathing by fluke really, and noticed I wasn't getting winded as easily. Throughout my life, I have backed my way in to a some good best practices for a host of things.

I just got a Forerunner 10 watch, and adore it...then promptly broke a toe at Jiu Jitsu. It'll be a few weeks before I can get going again, but the watch is going to force me to be honest with myself on pace and distance, and not just best guess it, which I started doing when I got less serious with running. "Yah, that felt like an 8min mile"-was probably 9:30.

Using Garmin Connect, and really like it too. I'm about 30 pounds heavier than I was when I was running a lot (through lifting and intentional weight gain, not laziness), so I had to fight off some cramping when I first got started due to lack of conditioning, perhaps slight dehydration from creatine consumption, and getting used to moving the new mass. Plan on putting some miles in once the foot it healthy. Great thread.

I ran my half marathon today. I was pretty happy with the effort considering I wasn't feeling great yesterday (sore throat).

But I am pretty pissed that the course was .1 mile short. It really threw me off as I was pacing by mile markers. The second mile was .9. To me that is the #1 thing a race has to get right (with correct timing being 1B)

My "adjusted" time was 1:24:12 (6:26 pace)

[quote name='usickenme']for records. I simply use iCal on my computer/ phone. For runs, I use Nike+ with my watch.

I used Run Calc to calculate paces/ times for races.[/QUOTE]

Do you use the Nike watch? I've heard a lot a mixed things, good amount of criticism too

When I shopped around for a GPS watch (ended up with a Garmin Forerunner 405) that the reviews for all of them are fairly mixed.

It really that some people just expect a lot out of them--most any of the GPS watches are going to be fine if you just want to track time, pace and distance.

Most of the griping comes from people who want to see more info on the screen, use the workout program feature to do intervals etc. as some watches are better or worse than others on those fronts. Some comes from unreasonable expectations for a tiny GPS to pick up the signal right away rather than usually taking 5 minutes or so--I don't see the big deal there as you should be walking for 5-10 minutes to warm up some before starting running anyway. My watch usually has signal about the time I walk the 5 minutes or so to the park where I start my runs.

And there are some technical issues some watches have that affect some users and not others. Like my Garmin 405--it has a touch bezel you use to switch between menus, modes, screens etc. that doesn't work if it or your fingers are wet with sweat. Doesn't affect me at all as I only want the screen that shows time, pace and distance up when running so I just lock the bezel when running anyway. But it is an annoyance for people who want to switch screens or modes while running/working out--i.e. people doing jogs mixed in with interval training who need to switch modes etc.

Long story short, any of these GPS watches will be great for the average person who just wants to track pace and distance. But they have some quirks that may annoy people with more advance usages or who are pickier than me with their gadgets.

I went with the Garmin 405 mainly due to the wireless syncing with the computer to upload data to the web site. It comes with a little thumb drive sized USB stick you put in your computer and then the watch will automatically upload data from your runs to the Garmin Connect site when it comes with in 10 feet or so of the antenna. Other watches like Nike just have USB cables and you have to plug in to upload. Minor inconvenience, but was enough for me to go with the Garmin over the Nike or other Garmin models. The Nike watches are nicer looking though, and I believe their website tracks more info or displays it better than Garmin's per some reviews. I don't care about much other than having a log and being able to quickly copy and paste run summaries though.

Put in my first "good" run of the spring. Broke my toe a week and a half ago, but wanted to test it out, so I went to a local highschool with an artificial turf field and just ran on the inside of the track. It felt amazing. Minimal pain, minimal swelling. In the past I have developed severe shin splints, but this turf running is going to become my new go-to move. Absolutely loved it. Only a couple miles, but my last two laps were sub 8min, and for not having run for about 9 months, I'll take that.

On the topic of running watches, my Garmin Forerunner 10 has taken maybe 60-90 seconds to get a signal, but that seemed very reasonable. I have been thoroughly impressed with the watch, and love the Garmin Connect reports and data playback. I got a deal on it for $109, and I feel like even at the list of $130 it's a great watch.

[quote name='Rumors']Do you use the Nike watch? I've heard a lot a mixed things, good amount of criticism too[/QUOTE]

I really love it but there are issues...

Pros:
-Good size and feel. Many times after a run I will simply forget to take it off. Feels like a regular watch. Not so with other GPS watches I've had.

-The GPS isn't always on. You start it for runs you want to track. This is great for battery life.

-The USB interface it built into the watch band. No annoying cables or cradles.

-Nike+ is pretty cool. It has achievements and challenges that could be a motivator for some.

-The web interface make is really easy to customize.

-You can use a Nike+ pedometer thing with it, I never have.

Cons:

-The screen only displays 2 fields of data at once. The main was displays distance but you have to switch the second one if you want to go from pace, to overall time, to actual clock time

- The pace is terribly inaccurate. It has never been close.

-The stopwatch is flaky. You have to do a lap by tapping the top of the screen. It doesn't always register a tap.

-you have to create an account with Nike+. It has some good information but the site never seems to remember my password...even when I click "remember"

Neutral.

--Accuracy- I once wore my garmin and Nike+ on the same run and both had the same distance. It generally is a little short on runs but no different than other GPS watches I've had.

-Linking to a satellite. Again similar to other GPS watches I've had in the amount of time it takes. Some days a few seconds, some days a few minutes.

-there is always some inspirational message when you finish a run like 'Way to get out there'. Sometimes it is cool but 90% of the time....it doesn't do much for me.

I got mine by winning a race so price wasn't an issue but It is well worth the $150 you can find it for.

Yeah I sifted through a bunch of the amazon reviews but a lot of the complaints seemed to come from some pretty competitive runners.still on the fence though. Not really sure I need it

Also

10 miles
79 minutes
7.6 mph
1300 cals

[quote name='Rumors']Yeah I sifted through a bunch of the amazon reviews but a lot of the complaints seemed to come from some pretty competitive runners.still on the fence though. Not really sure I need it

[/QUOTE]

it's definitely good if you want to up your commitment to running. And much better than apps.

Forgot to post my easy run from Wednesday (was sore from 5 miler Monday and lifting Tuesday so didn't pay attention to pace at all).

Time: 27:20
Avg Pace: 9:07 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 151 ft
Calories: 370 C

Hope to get back out tomorrow, had a stomach bug Thursday and Friday and have been catching up on work and chores today.

Could someone recommend a good foam roller? I've been using a 5" diameter PVC pipe from Home Depot for a long time but I'm wondering if one of those foam rollers with 'grips' would be better?

[quote name='usickenme']I use the Tiger Tail. It's great for specific areas. http://www.tigertailusa.com/

I also use a black foam roller like this. Use only high density foam to get the best results.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-High-De...=1369843002&sr=8-1&keywords=BLACK+FOAM+ROLLER[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the foam roller link. The tiger tail looks similar to the marathon stick. Have you used ' the stick ' and if so how do they compare? I own the marathon stick and I use it strictly on my quads, IT band, adductors, hammies, and calves after every run. My post-run ritual is: 1) The Stick, 2) Myrtle Routine, 3) PVC Pipe Rolling, 4) Static Stretching, 5) Beer

[quote name='madcyantist']Thanks for the foam roller link. The tiger tail looks similar to the marathon stick. Have you used ' the stick ' and if so how do they compare? I own the marathon stick and I use it strictly on my quads, IT band, adductors, hammies, and calves after every run. My post-run ritual is: 1) The Stick, 2) Myrtle Routine, 3) PVC Pipe Rolling, 4) Static Stretching, 5) Beer[/QUOTE]

hell of a good routine. Myrtle is tough. I'm currently doing the Core H by the same guy (Coach Jay)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvwuTw6rjTY

The tiger tail is more "grippy" than the stick, so I feel like I can dig in more.

Thanks guys. Think I'll get the tiger tail just to check it out along with The Grid. I was spending $50 a week on a masseuse but think I'll try some home stuff for a while.

My trail run yesterday:

DISTANCE 3.00 mi
DURATION 29m:20s
AVG. SPEED 9:47 min/mi
CALORIES 395 kcal
WEATHER Intermittent clouds
WIND 12.4 mph ↑
TEMPERATURE 88°F
HUMIDITY 34%

[quote name='dmaul1114']
It really that some people just expect a lot out of them--most any of the GPS watches are going to be fine if you just want to track time, pace and distance.

And there are some technical issues some watches have that affect some users and not others. Like my Garmin 405--it has a touch bezel you use to switch between menus, modes, screens etc. that doesn't work if it or your fingers are wet with sweat.

Long story short, any of these GPS watches will be great for the average person who just wants to track pace and distance. But they have some quirks that may annoy people with more advance usages or who are pickier than me with their gadgets.[/QUOTE]

I've been looking at GPS watches for quite some time (probably around a year). Never pulled the trigger and use dcrainmaker exclusively for research. I ended up buying the Endomondo app for $5 and a SPI belt. Pre-injury, I only ran roads and always along mapped routes on dailymile (3, 4, 5, 6, 7 mile routers all around town leading from my driveway and would just do loops to hit the bigger marathon training distances). Anyways, you can set the Endomondo app to alert you to whenever you hit a specified distance. So, if I tell it to alert me every half mile, my phone will state "0.5 miles, 1 mile, 1.5 miles" when I hit those distances. This is such a good feature for me as I'm still recovering from surgery (15 weeks this week) and am only running on trails for the softer surfaces.

The biggest issue is carrying a phone while running and I am not going to wear an arm band. I googled and found the "SPI belt". I bought it for $20 and it hugs the body nicely. Doesn't really protrude and holds my S3 and car key perfectly. Not all my 5" shorts have a small pocket so I use the belt on those days. I only mention all of this to present an alternative to those looking at GPS watches. I'm unsure if the free endomondo app allows alerts like that (it's only $5 and use Endomondo app for cycling as well). The app also auto pauses if it detects that you're idle which is a nice feature IMO when you're waiting at a stop light or intersection. I've tried Strava and did not like how it doesn't auto pause and some of my longer bike rides ~20 miles, I would lose the GPS signal on the trail and it wouldn't tell me signal was lost and it NEVER picked it back up. This happened 1/3 of the time I used the Strava app (I cycle solely on trails) and it just isn't acceptable. I wanted to like Strava as their site's interface is great for friends and cycling.

Overall, I've been very happy with Endomondo for both running and cycling. The mileage is generally accurate and when exercising with others who also use Endomondo, their mileages have varied by only a tenth or two of a mile. I also subscribed to Endomondo premium ($15/year) but so far it hasn't been worth it. I really just wanted to support them and figured a few extra perks on the site would be handy. I really wish DailyMile had an android GPS app as it has a great community for runners but can't beat Endomondo's functionality and price point.

Still been lazy about running as much as I should, need to reverse that since the Peachtree Road Race is a month away.

Got a solid 3 miler in on Monday--pushed pace pretty hard (for me) the first half, slowed down the second but ran it all.

Time: 25:26

Avg Pace: 8:28 min/mi

Elevation Gain: 65 ft

Calories:  363 C

Need to get a slow five miler in either tonight or in the morning.

Got a really solid 5 miler in just now.  Had planned on doing it slow and easy, but was feeling strong to decided to try to do each mile a little faster to work on building pace and get in the habit of not starting out too fast before the Peachtree Race.

Time: 44:25

Avg Pace: 8:53 min/mi

Elevation Gain: 109 ft

Calories: 612 C

Mile 1- 9:11.3

Mile 2- 9:08.8

Mile 3- 9:01.6

Mile 4- 8:51.2 1

Mile 5- 8:10.8 

Last mile is a little deceptive as I caught the one red light on my route so I got a couple minutes breather there with the watch stopped, otherwise it wouldn't have been so much faster than the 4th as I wouldn't have had as strong a kick for the last quarter mile probably.  Still happy with it and feeling fine for being ready for the 10k on the 4th.

bread's done
Back