The CAG Runners Thread (all experience levels welcome)

Got a solid 3 miler in this evening despite it still being 85 (and feeling like 90 something) at 8:30. Blech.

Distance: 3.00 mi
Time: 25:18
Avg Pace: 8:26 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 38 ft
Calories: 365 C

Going to do one of those obstacle course run things in July--just a local one at a jail or something. The girlfriend wants to do it to prep for possibly doing a tough mudder together this fall with her family. Should be fun. She's starting up a Couch to 5k program with the Ease into 5k app that I used (and installed on her iPhone for her) to start training.

We both ordered some Vibram FiveFingers on clearance on her family's recommendations since regular shoes are bad for the obstacle things as they get super heavy with the water and mud etc. (and also ruined). So I guess we'll start working those in on some short runs to test them out and get used to them to see if we could handle longer runs and obstacles in them. I may start with some hill repeats on a big grassy hill in the park and see how they feel before even thinking of pavement or trails with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, been a while since I checked in on this thread. Just wanted to say thanks for the info on GPS watches but ill probably pass for now. Haven't been running though I keep getting a pretty intense pain at the bottom of my leg almost where the ankle and shin meet. Its fine lifting weights and putting weight on it but any high impact aggrevates it. It will be fine pre run and even while running bur will mildly hurt near the end of the run. After the run and the next day even walking hurts.

In the meantime I've stopped running and switched to elliptical and swimming. Hasn't been a week yet but I want to run again soon.

I just can't seem to stay healthy physically, perhaps I'm putting too much on my body physically

Lousy run Thursday.  Was 85 with heat index of mid 90s, so ended up walking a lot due to feeling nauseous.

Distance:4.02 mi
Time:39:53
Avg Pace:9:56 min/mi
Elevation Gain:177 ft
Calories:469 C

Solid 5 miler today.  Hot, but not as bad, 81 with no heat index.  Only walk was for .05 miles at end of a hill near the end as I was close to barfing from being overheated.

Distance:5.00 mi
Time:44:10
Avg Pace:8:50 min/mi
Elevation Gain:127 ft
Calories: 602 C

Trying to get slowly acclimated to heat some more incase it ends up being super hot for the Peachtree Race on the 4th.  That will start 3 or so hours earlier in the morning than I've been running this week, so hopefully it won't be worse than 75 or so at race time.

The race was solid except for the time 

I ran 18:17. Slowed down a little too much the last 2 miles but I won the race and $100 gift card from a running store.

Got an easy pace (but hilly) 5-miler in this morning.

Distance: 5.00 mi
Time: 47:20
Avg Pace: 9:28 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 259 ft
Calories: 615 C

Got a decent 3 miles in this morning.

Distance: 3.01

Time: 25:40

Avg Pace: 8.32 mil/min

Killer week at work but I managed about 50 miles.

Yesterday I ran 17.3 miles in 2:11:42 (7:37), it about killed me as it was warm and humid

Peachtree Race on Thursday will probably be rough as I've really slacked on running the past couple weeks.

Set out to do 6.2 yesterday morning, but got lost.  Ended up doing 8.5, but with a good mile or so of walking probably as my fitness isn't there for going that long in the heat.

Distance: 8.50 mi 

Time: 1:29:15

Avg Pace: 10:30 min/mi

Elevation Gain: 425 ft

Calories: 1,012 C

Just hoping to finish the race under an hour.  Should be doable, the last 10k I did in just under 57 minutes and I wasn't in great shape for it as I'd gotten a cold a couple weeks before it--though it was in December and in the 50s rather than the mid 70s it will be for this one.

Damn, looks like it's going to be pouring rain for the Peachtree race tomorrow.

Better than being blazing hot I guess....

Thanks!  Rain held off other than on walk to subway to get to the start.

I blew away my goal, and my 10k PR (56:06 was my prior one).  Decided to aim for faster first half since it's mostly down hill, with lots of hills in miles 3-5.  Worked out as I made up time there and still did ok on the hills.

Distance: 6.30 mi

Time: 52:35

Avg Pace: 8:21 min/mi

Elevation Gain: 238 ft

Calories: 772 

Mile 1- 8:38.7

Mile 2- 8:04.0

Mile 3-7:54.7 1

Mile 4- 8:45.4

Mile 5- 8:46.0

Mile 6- 8:19.7

Mile 7- 2:06.7 (.30 mi)

I'm running my third half marathon on Sunday.

I injured my knee around 2 weeks ago, and because of that I haven't been able to train properly. I did a 10k cross-country race last Sunday as a test run, and I was barely able to finish it. Besides, I've been with a cold this week, which made training even more difficult. I'm almost sure I won't be able to beat my PR, but I don't know if I should go for it or just take it very easy the entire race.

I'd take it easy.  Not worth risking a more severe injury.  And highly unlikely to come near your PR with the injury and perhaps still being a little weak from the cold.

Been off the wagon since my race on the 4th--until this morning anyway.  Was sore for a few days, then had bad poison ivy for a couple weeks (dr ordered no running so sweat wouldn't spread it), then just lazy/busy the past week or so.

But got back out there this morning again, and felt great to get a run in.  Have some obstacle course thing this weekend too, not a run one though as I think it's only like 2 miles total or something.

Distance: 3.00 mi

Time: 26:47

Avg Pace: 8:55 min/mi

Elevation Gain: 61 ft

Calories: 361 C

Consistently running roughly 5 miles a day either at once or broken up between 2 runs.  I realize it doesn't sound like a lot, but I'm pretty psyched as I've been somebody who runs no more than 2 miles a day on average over the past years.

Not an official race but I had my physical for Monmouth county police test. Ran my mile and a half in 9:45

Im trying to add weight though so I switched mostly to short fast runs and sprints with one long endurance run at a moderate pace.

That's a pretty good time Rumors..

I'm still at it. Just got back from California where I ran a 5k..  17:25 (5:37). Best time in about 16 years.

Training felt like a slog through June and early July but I've turned a corner recently.  

I'm running a half marathon Aug. 10th

Obstacle race on Saturday was pretty sucky.  It was a Sheriff's department obstacle course, so lots of rope climbing etc. Not really in shape for that upper body strength stuff currently, and got some pretty bad rope burns on my fingers.

Doing a Merrell Down and Dirty 10k one with the girl friend in October--looks tough, but fun with less sheer upper body strength stuff and more general climbing, mud etc.  Then hopefully a Tough Mudder in November if we're feeling capable (that's 10-12 miles).  Main issue is my g/f tore some ligaments in her ankle so she's been unable to do any real cardio for a while and is still pretty sore.

Oh, and that reminds me, the Five Fingers didn't end up working for me.  I have too much size difference between my two feet (left one is about a half inch longer) so I'd have to buy two pairs and toss two of them for it to work.  I ended up going with the Merrell Barefoot Trail Glove--same basic idea, just without toe compartments so the fit doesn't have to be as precise.  Worked great for the obstacle course.  Plenty of tread, didn't get squishy with water/mud, and looked good as new after hosing them off when we got home.  Got them in a sale from 6pm.com for $30 something.

Finally, got an ok 4 mile run in this morning.  Just took it slow and easy since I was still a little sore/stiff from the obstacle run.

Distance:4.00 mi

Time:37:38

Avg Pace:9:24 min/mi

Elevation Gain:142 ft

Calories:485 C

Good to see you getting back after it Dmaul

unfortunately, I tweaked my back because it hurts to run. Took 2 days off last week, ran a great 19 miles on Saturday, then it flared back up. Taking this week off in hopes that I improve.

Sucks getting old because I not sure what I did. Didn't do anything crazy or lift anything.

Got a good workout in this morning.  Jogged a mile to warm up, did five hill repeats (run up a grassy hill as fast as I could, walk down, repeat), then did pull ups, push ups, dips and a couple times across the monkey bars.

Going to try and do something like that once a week.  Sometimes hill repeats, sometimes stairs, sometimes 400 or 800 meter repeats etc. and then some strength stuff.  Need to get short burst endurance and muscle endurance up some for these obstacle races.  And maybe get a side benefit of upping my speed a bit on 5ks and 10ks.

3 miles on the treadmill in 26:45.  

Did it in my Merrell Barefoot shoes, lot of burn along the shins from those muscles not being used to it.  Figure wearing them on shorter treadmill runs and grass hill repeats is a good way to build up some strength in the feet and those muscles without injury to get more used to them before longer obstacle runs.

Struggled with heat, humidity, hills and sore/stiff lower legs (for the barefoot shoes treadmill run) on my 5 miler yesterday.  But at least got it in.

Distance: 5.00 mi

Time: 52:34

Avg Pace: 10:30 min/mi

Elevation Gain: 172 ft

Calories: 590 C

Did a bunch of yardwork in the afternoon too, so my legs are pretty dead.  Hope to get a short run in tomrrow, but may just do upper body in the gym if legs are still sore/stiff.

Just finished the Terrapin 5k in Chicago.  I managed roughly a 9 minute mile pace.  I'm a bit disappointed thought to be honest.  That is roughly the same pace I had back in November.  I've been running 4-5 miles 4 times a week this summer. I thought I would have gotten my pace down more.

Any tips or suggestions?

So what undergarments do you all wear when you run? I'm a cotton boxer man but the swamp ass is unbearable. With all the high tech materials there has to be a better choice that won't cost a pile of money.

I just wear boxer briefs for running.  Still get sweaty, but not as bad as running in my regular boxers.

Getting back on the wagon this week after about a month off due to a couple trips with a cold in between.

Still at it... ran 20+ miles this weekend at 7:29 pace (probably faster). I have a marathon in a month.

Also Boston Marathon was today and a great effort by Meb Kefelzighi..first US man to win since 1983. 

I've been a lazy turd with it for all of 2014 pretty much. I moved in December and was busy as hell with that and work and got out of the habit. Finally got a run in again in early February and did something to my Achille's that took a month or so to heal up.

Have got a couple ok 3 milers in the past couple of weeks. Hope to get back on the wagon more starting next week as I'm out of town Thurs-Monday this week. But after that it's just giving finals then the semester is over so work schedule will calm down.

Other problem/excuse I have is running around my new place sucks. There aren't sidewalks everywhere so it's a lot of running on shoulders of fairly busy roads/streets. Where as before I was next to both a huge park and a running/bike trail. But I just need to suck it up and do 3 milers around here and drive to a park or trail for some longer runs on weekends when I get back in shape.

After a long interval of not running I'm slowly getting back into it at the gym at my work.  Havent done more than 2 miles there but starting to get back into a comfort zone.  Feels good.

yeah, I am lucky to be able to take an hour during the day and run at lunch. I can usually squeeze in 4-6 miles. Plus I got a new treadmill recently (at home), I do many runs in the evening on it. 

since finishing our basement last fall, it's a much nicer place to hang out in

Yeah, we did grab a cheap elliptical off of Craigslist and I bought a set of Bowflex adjustable dumbbells and an exercise ball. So I've been working out some, just not much running through winter/spring so far.

I'd have rather had a treadmill, but the fiancee works out in the house way more than I do and prefers ellipticals as it's a lot easier on her ankles that she's injured a bunch in recent years.

17 miles yesterday.

5 miles at lunch easy and 12 miles on my treadmill @ 6:55 pace. That was brutal. I do many of specific pace work on the treadmil.

I ran a 5 mile race today. It's one I've done for the last 16 years.. today was by 3rd fastest time...29:46 (5:57).  Kind of hoped I would go faster as my recent 5ks have been but considering my legs were dead all week, I will take it

Welp.. I ran my marathon on Sunday in 3:09... Way off my goal of of sub 3 hours.  I was on pace through 20 miles but my legs were cramping badly. I stopped and walked for about 5 minutes. Considering I thought that I wouldn't even finish, I'm glad I held on but damn, a blown opportunity. 

Go to the store and have them test and fit you as everyone's feet are different.

I love Brooks shoes personally. I had the Ghost 5's and now have the Ravenna 3's as I have a slight over pronation. The ghosts are their main neutral shoes.

Go to the store and have them test and fit you as everyone's feet are different.

I love Brooks shoes personally. I had the Ghost 5's and now have the Ravenna 3's as I have a slight over probation. The ghosts are their main neutral shoes.
Yeah, I tested them at the store yesterday and had them fit me and they seem comfortable. Just wondering if anyone here had any impressions on them.

bread's done
Back