The Conduit - "It's time to go to work."

Hm... those reviews aren't exactly enticing... I'm not sure I want to pay $50 (I got the GameStop LE) for this game.

I'm not sure about this one. I want it for the multiplayer but the fact that Wii games can not be patched is making me think twice. I'm already reading about some problems that don't sound so hot.

I only played the first three levels this week, but it's enjoyable. Nothing mind-blowing or anything, but the controls are great. I'll hopefully be able to blow through the rest of the story next week and hop into multiplayer to see what's going on there.

With regard to playing at night without waking the kids (or whomever), you might consider picking up a cheap pair of wireless headphones. I bought a set from an amazon marketplace seller that work well and were very inexpensive. They are rechargeable too. You aren't going to want to listen to music on these things, but for video games or TV it works fine. Actually I play DDR with them, so game music sounds fine on them, I just wouldn't want to do any critical music listening with them. I'll try to find it on amazon again and post a link here.

EDIT: Alas, the price for the set I got has gone up quite a bit and is now $43.89 shipped. I payed $33 shipped. If you still want it, here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q3M2Z6/

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I often don't like FPS games these days very much. But I have wasted away many hours on this game last night and this morning. Thinking about going back to it for a few more hours. I have only played Campaign and people are saying they like Multi better? I'm excited. I really don't know what the crackheads at Gamespot are on, but I stopped reading after the first couple of paragraphs since having played the game, I disagree with everything they said. I don't regret paying $46.99 for this at all (Bought it from Amazon). Now that I know I like it, I almost wish I had paid the extra $8 or so for the CE.

I have met a few flaws in the game, but not much. And definitely not enough to break the game for me. I was ticked off at first in the station because I got stuck in a lobby and couldn't go forward. My roommate noticed some clipping on a sealed off door. It seemed one enemy didn't come out when he was supposed to and was now stuck. Until he was killed, the door to go forward wouldn't open. So I threw a grenade at the door. Nothing. So I chucked all of my grenades and just unloaded at the door, hoping that shooting the barrel of the gun that was sticking out would kill him. It did. I was able to proceed. I found it rather funny and it didn't ruin anything for me.

The only other problem is that some areas seem to be way harder than the rest of the game. But I think that just helps you become a better player. Anyway, so far I recommend this game.

I tend to find Gamespot overly harsh (6.0 for Fire Emblem Wii) and IGN to be overly generous with Wii ratings. It depends a lot on opinion and what you're comparing the game to. Compare The Conduit to CoD/Gears/Halo and it probably pales. Compare it to FPS's on the Wii (of which there are almost none) and it stands out.

[quote name='pacemakerguy']how's the online play? waiting for my b-day[/QUOTE]
Only tried it briefly so far, and it's great.

[quote name='Matt Young']http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/t...opslot;thumb;1

Not the score I was hoping for. And Gamespot's generally a lot more on point with their reviews than is IGN.[/quote]
Slightly lower than what I'd expect from GameStop. While the review isn't as flat-out wrong as the GamePro one, I do question some aspects of it -- especially the ding that the invisible mines are "too cheap". Geez Louise, your ASE buzzes like crazy whenever you're near one, how could you miss 'em?

[quote name='MorPhiend']The only other problem is that some areas seem to be way harder than the rest of the game. But I think that just helps you become a better player.[/quote]
Yeah, the game definitely increases the pressure near the end of level 3/start of level 4. Contrary to my initial impressions, you can't just blindly run through the area with guns blazing, but instead need to play the environment and crouch a bit. The enemies on the later levels also get better at using grenades and making headshots, and they will try to distract/flank you if you're not careful. There are times where you'll be thankful that the early levels have so many corridors, as it makes it harder for them to get the drop on you...

--R.J.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']I tend to find Gamespot overly harsh (6.0 for Fire Emblem Wii) and IGN to be overly generous with Wii ratings. [/QUOTE]

That's one reason I like GameTrailers' reviews. I quit looking at GameSpot a long time ago. I get the impression they don't like the Wii and don't want to. I've not played The Conduit yet (will do so tomorrow), but I get the feeling that was the case with whoever reviewed it. They didn't want to play it and they didn't want to like it and that's unfortunate.

So the multiplayer is uber? Not much love for this on CAG it seems, or people are waiting for the price drops perhaps since this is CAG :p

I finally got to play it. Didn't play multiplayer but the single player is pretty good. I still need to tune the controls. The turning speed still isn't to my liking.

I'm enjoying it so far. I admit that I'm not the best FPSer in town (far from it), but holy hell, did they have to make the end of level 3 this hard? I tried to get past one area for about an hour yesterday, and never made it.

The online worked very well for me when I tried it. Some fun rulesets, and they break down the weapons into sets in a way that I hadn't seen before. I look forward to more online rumbles.

THE CONDUIT ROCKS!

I almost always listen to reviews, but I can't believe how wrong they are. It shows that some reviewers don't have the time to invest to give it a fair shake. Buy this game, adjust the controls. You will love it!

FC: 2922-6861-1809
~Ki11NWO~

PM me if u added me with your FC

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted my code a couple pages back, been waiting for people to put theirs up. Was hoping the community would be a little more active like the Smash Brother thread. Just playing randomly with CAGs would be good enough for me. It would be nice if RJ could update the first post with the codes or if someone made a new thread.

I just bought this video game for my brother-in-law yesterday. It looks like the best shooting game for the nintendo wii to me.

Just picked this game up yesterday. I like it, first offical racing game I've bought for my wii.

Anyone else have this?

[quote name='icedrake523']I've not played The Conduit yet (will do so tomorrow), but I get the feeling that was the case with whoever reviewed it. They didn't want to play it and they didn't want to like it and that's unfortunate.[/QUOTE]
The Wii-hating "hardcore" delegation see The Conduit as a threat to their ego, since it hurts their ability to dismiss the Wii as a fad/kiddie/casualz/wagglebox. Heck, any attempt to make a genuine (third-party) effort on the Wii is a danger to them that must be destroyed... ;)

--R.J.

[quote name='rjung']The Wii-hating "hardcore" delegation see The Conduit as a threat to their ego, since it hurts their ability to dismiss the Wii as a fad/kiddie/casualz/wagglebox. Heck, any attempt to make a genuine (third-party) effort on the Wii is a danger to them that must be destroyed... ;)

--R.J.[/QUOTE]

That, or because it's not that great.

Easily the best FPS controls on the Wii, and there's a lot of effects going on compared to other Wii FPS games. The online is easy to get into and there are a lot of options. The enemy AI is way better than the Call of Duty Wii games.

But it's also short, the levels are bland, the gameplay is like any other generic corridor shooter, the difficulty fluctuates oddly, and the story being told through static screens at the beginning of a level is lame.

I love MadWorld, HotD: Overkill, No More Heroes, etc. Not so much this game. The Wii remote/nunchuck combo should be the next best thing to a keyboard/mouse for FPS games but it hasn't really turned out that way.

The Conduit is enjoyable and they did a good job, especially with the online interface and control scheme. It's just not going to blow anyone's mind.

I have finally been able to sit down and play this game today. I am at the end of level 3 and am not doing too good. So far it is a really fun game. I'm glad I waited to play this today since my daughter isn't home and I can concentrate on it.

Now back to trying to get past the area I am stuck on.

If $50 is too much for you, get TimeSplitters: Future Perfect. It's widescreen and 480p, and it's my favorite FPS ever.

[quote name='whiptcracker']That, or because it's not that great.

Easily the best FPS controls on the Wii, and there's a lot of effects going on compared to other Wii FPS games. The online is easy to get into and there are a lot of options. The enemy AI is way better than the Call of Duty Wii games.

But it's also short, the levels are bland, the gameplay is like any other generic corridor shooter, the difficulty fluctuates oddly, and the story being told through static screens at the beginning of a level is lame.

I love MadWorld, HotD: Overkill, No More Heroes, etc. Not so much this game. The Wii remote/nunchuck combo should be the next best thing to a keyboard/mouse for FPS games but it hasn't really turned out that way.

The Conduit is enjoyable and they did a good job, especially with the online interface and control scheme. It's just not going to blow anyone's mind.[/QUOTE]

And you have the fault of third parties not filling in the gaps that Nintendo has in its lineup to blame for that. Go figure. A huge collective wanting the Wii to fail... Really lame. How else can you explain all these tests that are doomed to fail? Rail shooters are now supposed to be hyper popular when they never were?

This game needed state-of-the-art graphics to be looked at like Killzone 2 which is also a generic shooter. Apparently controls are less important than graphics. Then again, it needed to not be on Wii. The hatred for this game and console came LONG before ANY reviews.

Message board gamers and the sites that cater to them = lol and getting more and more irrelevant every day.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']And you have the fault of third parties not filling in the gaps that Nintendo has in its lineup to blame for that. Go figure. A huge collective wanting the Wii to fail... Really lame. How else can you explain all these tests that are doomed to fail? Rail shooters are now supposed to be hyper popular when they never were?

This game needed state-of-the-art graphics to be looked at like Killzone 2 which is also a generic shooter. Apparently controls are less important than graphics. Then again, it needed to not be on Wii. The hatred for this game and console came LONG before ANY reviews.

Message board gamers and the sites that cater to them = lol and getting more and more irrelevant every day.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the entire blame rests just upon the 3rd party developers here. Nintendo has those holes in it's line up, and it could be trying harder to work with developers to overcome whatever hardware issues they may face.

I know rail shooters aren't popular but I've always loved lightgun games, so I couldn't be happier that the genre is getting another chance on the Wii.

[quote name='whiptcracker']I don't think the entire blame rests just upon the 3rd party developers here. Nintendo has those holes in it's line up, and it could be trying harder to work with developers to overcome whatever hardware issues they may face.

I know rail shooters aren't popular but I've always loved lightgun games, so I couldn't be happier that the genre is getting another chance on the Wii.[/QUOTE]

Microsoft isn't asked to fill the holes of their lineup.
Sony isn't asked to fill the holes of their lineup.

Third parties do. They completely failed with the Wii.

Why should Nintendo be the only one asked when they're the ones in first place, and have already put out loads of great content?

And yeah, the light gun shooters are fun. I'm excited for both Dead Space and Darkside. It's just hilarious how a genre that never had a sizable impact is what all these "tests" are conveniently.

I still have yet to play every rail shooter on Wii, but I want to. Ghost Squad was my first time playing a rail shooter, and from there, I was hooked.

For the record, I'm with rjung: "great controls" + "generic art design" (the two most consistently agreed upon strengths/flaws of the Conduit) does not a 6.5 make. That's pretty much a deal breaker for me bothering with Gamestop reviews anymore, kind of like the time Game Informer gave one of the Mortal Kombat games a 9.75 -- it's hard evidence that the reviewer just does not inhabit the same planet, gaming-wise, that I do.

[quote name='whiptcracker']The Wii remote/nunchuck combo should be the next best thing to a keyboard/mouse for FPS games but it hasn't really turned out that way.[/QUOTE]

Can you elaborate? That seems kind of contradictory with what you were saying at other points ("...they did a good job, especially with the ... control scheme."); the controls aren't even the issues at stake in the Gamespot review.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Microsoft isn't asked to fill the holes of their lineup.
Sony isn't asked to fill the holes of their lineup.

Third parties do. They completely failed with the Wii.

Why should Nintendo be the only one asked when they're the ones in first place, and have already put out loads of great content?[/QUOTE]

Not only that, but devs complain when Nintendo fills *too many* niches themselves: "oh, we can't compete with first party games" and so on. So Nintendo goes and drops a ton of big guns in the Wii's first year, thinking third parties will pick up the slack afterward, once they see the thing sell like gang-busters, and ... *crickets*. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I don't have this game and unless it happens to end up in my possession temporarily on it's way to a flip I doubt I ever will. I was tired of FPS when Quake 2 arrived. I think it's pretty comical that a review would call the game out for being generic. In my experience generic seems inherent to the genre.

Supposedly theres cheat and what not to go online with, do a search through google and what not. A shame cuz the multiplayer seemed really good from what I saw.

[quote name='trq']Can you elaborate? That seems kind of contradictory with what you were saying at other points ("...they did a good job, especially with the ... control scheme."); the controls aren't even the issues at stake in the Gamespot review.
.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't talking about The Conduit when I said that, I meant in general it is odd that there aren't more FPS games on the Wii because the interface seems like the next best thing to a keyboard and mouse combo. If anything The Conduit proves that. I think the best thing about the game is the controls and how adjustable they are.

What I don't get is why there aren't more FPS games, and just plain better FPS games on the system. I know it's not a graphical powerhouse, but the AI in a lot of the FPS games for the Wii are also just crap. In CoD3 I've had enemies just stand there. There were better example of the genre in terms of AI and level design on the PS2, so I do not understand why it isn't possible for some 3rd party to create a game like Black, but with the control style of The Conduit.

If anything I hope HVS leases out this game engine because I think a 3rd party could do something really great with the engine in the same way people have used the Unreal engine. I'm more impressed by The Conduit on a technical level than on a gameplay level.

[quote name='crunchewy']I was tired of FPS when Quake 2 arrived. In my experience generic seems inherent to the genre.[/QUOTE]

Since your experience is limited to the time when Quake 2 was released you seem well qualified to comment on the genre.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Since your experience is limited to the time when Quake 2 was released you seem well qualified to comment on the genre.[/QUOTE]

Despite prettier graphics-- how has the genre changed?
Sounds like he IS qualified to me.

Why is it that the 200th dual analog FPS is not generic but one with a new control scheme is? Such hypocrisy from those who hate the Wii. Not calling you that, so don't get me wrong! :bouncy:

[quote name='whiptcracker']I wasn't talking about The Conduit when I said that, I meant in general it is odd that there aren't more FPS games on the Wii because the interface seems like the next best thing to a keyboard and mouse combo. If anything The Conduit proves that. I think the best thing about the game is the controls and how adjustable they are.

What I don't get is why there aren't more FPS games, and just plain better FPS games on the system. I know it's not a graphical powerhouse, but the AI in a lot of the FPS games for the Wii are also just crap. In CoD3 I've had enemies just stand there. There were better example of the genre in terms of AI and level design on the PS2, so I do not understand why it isn't possible for some 3rd party to create a game like Black, but with the control style of The Conduit.

If anything I hope HVS leases out this game engine because I think a 3rd party could do something really great with the engine in the same way people have used the Unreal engine. I'm more impressed by The Conduit on a technical level than on a gameplay level.[/QUOTE]

Ah. Too right; thanks for clarifying.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Despite prettier graphics-- how has the genre changed?
Sounds like he IS qualified to me.

Why is it that the 200th dual analog FPS is not generic but one with a new control scheme is? Such hypocrisy from those who hate the Wii. Not calling you that, so don't get me wrong! :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Squad tactics, cover systems, level design, mission design, physics systems, AI advancement, different online management systems, etc.

That's like saying the platform genre hasn't advanced since Super Mario Bros.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Squad tactics, cover systems, level design, mission design, physics systems, AI advancement, different online management systems, etc.

That's like saying the platform genre hasn't advanced since Super Mario Bros.[/QUOTE]

Except we don't see 50 platform games a year, do we?

EDIT: I wish we did!

Did anyone get the art book with theirs? Is it included with the game or seperate? Apparently my GS ran out of artbooks or artbook editions, whichever it is, since I didn't go immediately to pick up my preorder.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Did anyone get the art book with theirs? Is it included with the game or seperate? Apparently my GS ran out of artbooks or artbook editions, whichever it is, since I didn't go immediately to pick up my preorder.[/QUOTE]
I got it with mine; it's a small book that fits inside the case, right behind the manual. All color, mostly concept sketches and early designs, stuff like that with accompanying text. There's a Flickr set of the artbook floating around on the internet, IIRC.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that all of the copies of The Conduit sold at Gamestop were the special editions. Maybe it was the first run?

--R.J.

I beat it today. I had to turn the difficulty down in the last 2 levels.

Apparently it took me 5.5 hrs to beat it. Felt longer. I plan on replaying it once a Walkthrough is out so I can get all the hidden messages and discs. Plus playing with 1 hit kills is a lot of fun.

I will have to try multiplayer later. I tried a couple days ago but my connection wasn't that good.

Can someone tell me how this compares to MP3: Corruption as far as control and visuals? I understand they different genres (First Person Adventure compared to a shooter), but I consider Corruption to be one of the best bench marks for control and visuals on the Wii.

Are the nunchuck control complicated or is it simple motions for the most part? Also, has anyone tried this with Wii Speak yet? If so, how well does it work?

I'm on the edge of picking up this game and you guys are doing a good job of convincing me to do so, but I just need a little more convincing to pull the trigger.

[quote name='wjhard63']Can someone tell me how this compares to MP3: Corruption as far as control and visuals? I understand they different genres (First Person Adventure compared to a shooter), but I consider Corruption to be one of the best bench marks for control and visuals on the Wii.

Are the nunchuck control complicated or is it simple motions for the most part? Also, has anyone tried this with Wii Speak yet? If so, how well does it work?

I'm on the edge of picking up this game and you guys are doing a good job of convincing me to do so, but I just need a little more convincing to pull the trigger.[/QUOTE]

It has better controls depending how you customize them. Visually, it's less appealing because of poor art design.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']It has better controls depending how you customize them. Visually, it's less appealing because of poor art design.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, pretty much this.

[quote name='rjung']I got it with mine; it's a small book that fits inside the case, right behind the manual. All color, mostly concept sketches and early designs, stuff like that with accompanying text. There's a Flickr set of the artbook floating around on the internet, IIRC.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that all of the copies of The Conduit sold at Gamestop were the special editions. Maybe it was the first run?

--R.J.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I didn't think it'd be limited. Funny thing: I called five Gamestops, who all told me they had run out of artbooks and either told me or insinuated that the artbook was seperate. The guy I spoke to at my preorder store was really nice, and thought he ran out of LEs, so he actually promised me five dollars off my purchase price. Which is an unusually nice gesture when it comes to losing out on preorder goodies. But lo and behold, they had an LE. I like how shiny it was. Kinda wish it was in a steelcase, even if it was still single disc, because steelcases are sweet.

[quote name='icedrake523']I beat it today. I had to turn the difficulty down in the last 2 levels.

Apparently it took me 5.5 hrs to beat it. Felt longer. I plan on replaying it once a Walkthrough is out so I can get all the hidden messages and discs. Plus playing with 1 hit kills is a lot of fun.

I will have to try multiplayer later. I tried a couple days ago but my connection wasn't that good.[/QUOTE]

does it beat playing an fps game with dual analog controllers as opposed to the motion controller?

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']does it beat playing an fps game with dual analog controllers as opposed to the motion controller?[/QUOTE]

Once you tweak the controls to your liking, it is a lot more fun. I think it's easier to be more precise with the pointer. Turning is also less limiting since you can do an action that would be associated with a button.

bread's done
Back