The Corpse Bride. Stop Motion Animation...Burton, Depp

Wshakspear

CAGiversary!
For you Tim Burton, Johnny Depp and Nightmare Before Christmas fans, prepare to drool.

The Corpse Bride
cb28su.jpg

Trailer {clicky} (Full screen does not work for me, but all the other sizes are fine)

cb0801jw.jpg

Wow - Willy Wonka AND this in the same year??? Awesome news!

I just caught up on my Tim Burton dvd collection this past weekend, I now have all of his released movies except for the 2 Batman films - and I fully expect those to get deluxe re-releases this year due to the new Batman movie hitting theaters.

Great year to be a Burton/Depp fan. :D

EDIT: Not to mention we'll be getting the Nightmare Before Christmas game around Halloween as well. ;)

I just hope the game doesnt suck. It looks the part, i just hope it plays well. And yeah, wether your a Depp or Burton fan, you've got plenty to be happy about.

Also, McFarlane Toys have the main license for toys for Corpse Bride

Call me crazy, but I never really liked Nightmare Before Christmas. I watched it halfway through before shutting it off. Maybe I should go back and give it another try.

[quote name='Wshakspear']I just cant get over the quality of animation. It holds up against the CGI films so well its freaky[/quote]

Well, we certainly could use a change of pace.

Thankfully, Tim Burton's just the right person to do that.

myke.

This makes me very glad Cars from Pixar moved into next year. It gives this picture a chance of being around for a while.

[quote name='Wshakspear']This makes me very glad Cars from Pixar moved into next year. It gives this picture a chance of being around for a while.[/quote]

Is it just me or does cars look like crap? I'm a huge Pixar fan and they are the only movies I will pay money in the theater for, but seeing the preview for Cars was underwhelming to say the least.

Watch it again, and just look at the details. Look at the logos on the sides of the nascars, and overall movement of the crowed. Then, when the camera pans back, watch the reflections on the red Nascar, and then the old jalopy. Great looking. Mind you, it was just a teaser. The actual movie is supposed to revolve around a very realistic, very detailed and living town...none of which was shown in the trailer.

Oh well the animation looks good, but every other Pixar movie, the story and characters jumped out at you instantly, this one seems much more generic IMO.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Oh well the animation looks good, but every other Pixar movie, the story and characters jumped out at you instantly, this one seems much more generic IMO.[/quote]

The first teaser trailer for Finding Nemo was pretty underwhelming in my opinion but the movie turned out to have much more charm then the trailer let on. So I wouldn't fret... at least not yet.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Oh well the animation looks good, but every other Pixar movie, the story and characters jumped out at you instantly, this one seems much more generic IMO.[/quote]

I dunno. When I saw the teaser for The Incredibles a year or so ago, I thought it was nothin' much. I mean, superhero gag 'cause he's overweight. The character didn't look all too impressive and what with Finding Nemo at the time, I thought it was gonna be bad. I was wrong, of course and The Incredibles was flippin' sweet. Maybe Cars will do the same thing.

As for this movie, it looks amazing and I can't believe that it's stop motion. However, if you've seen Burton's other short Vincent, it's really similar in style and that thing was done in 1982.

Anyway, just wanted to agree that it's a great year for a Depp fan and this redeems the weak sauce Planet of The Apes.

Finally another stop motion picture! The last one I saw was James and the giant peach. Another thing worth mentioning is that Nightmare before xmas (NBX) wasn't directed by tim burton (he only wrote and produced it) , but he co-directs this one. Henry Selnick directed NBX and also James too.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107688/

Let's review the list of movies that I need to see this year:

-Revenge of the Sith
-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
-Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
-Batman Begins
-Wallace and Gromit
-Corpse Bride
-King Kong
-War of the Worlds

Two stop-animation films, two Depp/Burton collaborations, two sci-fi blockbusters, another comic book movie that looks amazing, a brand new Peter Jackson movie...any way you look at this, this is going to be a very good year for us geeks. :)

A relatively normal geek doesn't have War of the Worlds on his must-see list? Speilberg + Cruise = great, any way you look at it.

And why all the Planet of the Apes hate? I enjoyed the movie. I'd definitely say Burton's weakest film was Mars Attacks! - I just rewatched it last night and while good, it just doesn't feel like one of his movies.

[quote name='argyle']A relatively normal geek doesn't have War of the Worlds on his must-see list? Speilberg + Cruise = great, any way you look at it.

And why all the Planet of the Apes hate? I enjoyed the movie. I'd definitely say Burton's weakest film was Mars Attacks! - I just rewatched it last night and while good, it just doesn't feel like one of his movies.[/quote]

I'm not a big fan of Speilberg or Cruise. I don't think I have liked anything Speilberg has done in the last 20 years and while Cruise seems like a good enough guy - I don't like anything he has ever been in.

Not a fan of Planet Of The Apes. I did like Mars Attacks though... and everything else Burton has done has been fantastic...

[quote name='argyle']A relatively normal geek doesn't have War of the Worlds on his must-see list? Speilberg + Cruise = great, any way you look at it.

And why all the Planet of the Apes hate? I enjoyed the movie. I'd definitely say Burton's weakest film was Mars Attacks! - I just rewatched it last night and while good, it just doesn't feel like one of his movies.[/quote]

I thought that was coming out next year. Oops. :)

Planet of the Apes was a bad re-imagining...let alone the Jay and Silent Bob rip off ending :)

Mars attacks was BAD...but amusing. A great B-movie. It entertains and thats whats important...even if your just laughing at it for the wrong reasons.

And as far as War of the Worlds...im interested in seeing which direction they go, but after watching Collateral and last Samurai, i owe Tom Cuise a viewing. Those were two incredible movies, and its good to know the other main character from Last Samurai is in Batman Begins

I can't imagine War of the Worlds being a good movie, and if it is, it will be because it is hardly based on the book at all. The book is really quite boring with almost no action in it. More than likely they are going to turn the movie into a run and gun with some horrible catch phrases thrown in.

And while I'm excited for Hitchhiker's guide, this book may be more loved by nerds than LOTR, which means it will get picked apart more.

I never read hitchhikers guide, nor did i read the LOTR books, so i'll be all set, again.

Yes. I work at a comic shop, have a girlfriend, im well groomed, and have never read LOTR or Hitchhikers...im an anomoly.

...must be assimilated... (damn inner dork)

I've never read the LOTR books, Hitchhiker's, OR War of the Worlds. :p

Personally, I can't think of a bad Speilberg movie, and I don't think Cruise has made a bad flick since Eyes Wide Shut...then again, Kubrick was a moron so...

[quote name='argyle']I've never read the LOTR books, Hitchhiker's, OR War of the Worlds. :p[/quote]

And you're proud of this?

Personally, I can't think of a bad Speilberg movie, and I don't think Cruise has made a bad flick since Eyes Wide Shut...then again, Kubrick was a moron so...

1941, Always, Hook, Amistad, and though he was only a producer, I hold him personally responsible for all of the Jurassic Park sequels.

And calling Kubrick a moron while you simultaneously pronounce Spielberg infallible gives me little reason to take any of your opinions seriously.

Sweet news, I love NMBC. But the thing I love the most about it is the music. Any word on whether or not Danny Elfman is doing the Soundtrack? If he was, it'd be enough for me to cream my pants right now...

judging by trailers alone, I think Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven will be the best movie of 2005. But then again I was a big Gladiator fan.

[quote name='Morrigan Lover']judging by trailers alone, I think Kingdom of Heaven will be the best movie of 2005.[/quote]

That's quite a bold statement - linkage?

Corpse Bride looks to be typical Burton affair, which usually means bizzare and great (and lots of spirals)

My money for fav movie of 05 is Sin City. The comic is great and what little I've seen has impressed me quite a bit.

bread's done
Back