The Credit Card thread (Cash Back)

PhrostByte

CAG Newbie
Maybe I'm just not aware of an already existing Credit Card thread, but it seems like something this site is sorely lacking.. I mean we're CAGs, shouldn't we look for credit cards with good cash back rates?

Anyway.. if I'm just overlooking the thread, let me know.. otherwise, I'll start the discussion.

There's a lot of info on FW, SD, creditboards, but some of those people are highly obsessed.. so I'll just tell you about two cards today. One card I already have and another I'm considering applying for.

The first card I'd like to tell ya'll about is the Pentagon Federal Credit Union Platinum VISA Rewards card. This is the one I have. Here are the details

• 5% off all gas purchases
  • 2% off all grocery purchases
  • 1.25% off otherwise
  • no rewards cap, instantly applied as a statement credit at the end of your billing cycle
What's the catch? You either have to be military, have a relative in the military, or join some sort of affiliated organization. If you're a student, you can sign up with a co-signer as well. Some of the affiliated organizations include the MOAA, the NMFA, and SAME. I believe signing up for SAME is free. This is an excellent card for its sheer simplicity, and they also have great rates for other loans, such as mortgages and car loans. The website is http://www.penfed.org/ Here's a picture.

penfed-visa.gif

Ok, enough of that. Now I'll tell you about the MTVu STUDENT Platinum VISA Rewards card. You must be a student to get this (although I'm sure you can get it if you're not). This is the one I'm considering. Instead of instant cash back, you get points redeemable for various prizes. Sounds like bullshit right? Well, it's certainly not as easy as the PenFed, but some of the deals make up for it. Here are the details:

• 5 points for purchases made at bookstores, restaurants (fast food too), movies, movie rental stores, bars, other ones too. The way this is calculated is through the merchant category code, any stores that identify themselves with the above codes qualify. AMAZON IS INCLUDED!!!
  • 10 points/qualifying purchases for the 3 months.
  • 1 point otherwise (might as well use your PenFed for non-qualifying merchants).
  • Points are redeemable at http://www.thankyou.com/ You'll notice that most of the redeemable prizes are not a 1 point : 1 cent ratio. I know this.. There are some, however, that are. Flights are very cheap with this system, also.. amazon.com gift certificates are 1:1. There's also student loan discounts, which are basically checks written out to your bank. A lot of people have successfully cashed these, and this is without a doubt the best way to spend your points.
  • Bonus points for paying your bill on time.
  • Bonus points on a tiered system for faxing in your grades.
  • Bonus points for referals.
Here's the link for applying: http://creditcards.citicards.com/us...2&ProspectID=D08AE5CF4F7B4D29A51EFF3168A6B9F1

Here's a picture:

citi_student_mtvu.gif

As you can see, it's hideous. I'll most likely be applying for this card very soon. If you also want to apply.. let me know and maybe I can refer you? Well, that's all for now. If you have any questions or wish to add anything, post. :)

Extra MTVu info from fatwallet:

You cannot get this card if your total debt(clarification) on all your revolving credit lines is above $10,000. They will not care about the amount of income you have. -Rushnrockt
For GPA bonus:
Grade submission form

5% Qualified Merchants:
Bookstores

• Amazon.com (certain purchases)(doesn't work on Music store)
          • iTunes
          • Barnes & Noble (in store only, not online)
          • Fast Food (alphabetical)
          • Arby's
          • Burger King
          • Carl's JR
          • Checkers
          • Chick Fil A
          • Dominoes
          • DUNKIN DONUTS
          • Good Times
          • Little Caesars Pizza
          • Jack In The Box
          • Jersey Mikes Submarines
          • Oregon Coast Aquarium Cafe
          • McDonalds
          • Popeyes
          • Qdoba
          • Quizno's
          • Skyline Chili
          • Sbarro
          • Starbucks
          • Subway
          • Taco Bell
          • Taco Del Mar
          • Waffle House
          • Wendys
          • WhataburgerRestaurants
          • Carrabba's Italian Grill
          • China Grand Buffet
          • Dante's Cafe (Portland, OR)
          • Godfather's Pizza
          • Hometown Buffet
          • Olive Garden
          • Papa Johns Pizza B&M / PapaJohns.com
          • Pizza Hut
          • Shari's
          • TGI Fridays
          • Movie Theaters
          • Rave Motion Pictures
          • AMC
          • Edwards/Regal
          • Video Rental Stores
          • Blockbuster online
          • Movielink
          • Music/Video Stores
          • FYE
            face-icon-small-mad.gif
          • Did NOT qualify for 5%
            face-icon-small-mad.gif
          • NetFlix
          • half.com
          • Certain bars (pub in the name has nothing to do with it, it's how an establishment codes itself w/the CC comp.)
          • restaurant.com
          • yourmusic.com
          • Red Robin
          • ch.com
          • DeepDiscountDVD.com
          • Tuna Town (Huntington Beach, CA)
          • Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream(merchandise)
          • TextbookX.com
          • Krispy Kreme (Classed as Merchandise - BAKERIES)
Why didn't my purchase qualify?
Go to Statements-> "Purchases" and click on the amounts that were charged
That will pop up a window with Transaction Details:

Merchant Category
Restaurants - DRINKING PLACES-ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES

Categories that appear to qualify (among others)

Entertainment - VIDEO ENTERTAINMENT RENTAL STORES
Entertainment - MOTION PICTURE THEATERS
Restaurants - EATING PLACE,RESTAURANT
Restaurants - FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS
Merchandise - BOOK STORES
Merchandise - RECORD STORES
Note that some book stores (e.g. B&N online, TextbookX) do not qualify because they categorize themselves as "BOOKS, PERIODICALS, AND NEWSPAPERS" rather than "BOOK STORES".
Rewards Network/I-dine Cash Back rebates do not count against Restauarants Categories -- only 1TY/$1 not 5TY/$1.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really not that great of an idea to open up a credit line for a quick fix, such as the Sony card for a cheap PlayStation. You'll never use the card again due to shitty cash back rates and you'll take a hit to your credit score.. all that for a cheap PlayStation? No thanks.

You guys bring up some cards with very strong rewards packages. Some of the ones I've seen mentioned are the Citi Diamond, Discover More, Chase Freedom, etc. So far I only have my one PenFed and the MTVu coming in the mail.. this is going to cover a lot of my purchases. If I wanted more than 2 cards though, I would definitely apply for some of the ones you guys mentioned. Here's how I would do it.

1 card only: PenFed, 5% gas, 2% groceries, 1.25% otherwise

2 cards only: PenFed, MTVu, 5% gas, 5% restaurants, 5% bookstores (amazon), 5% video rental places, 5% movies, 5% bars, 2% groceriess, 1.25% otherwise

3 cards: PenFed, MTVu, Chase Freedom: All of the above plus you get 3% in your top 3 spending categories.. since you have the other two cards for everything else... this basically means you'll rarely get LESS than 3% on any purchases

4 cards: PenFed, MTVu, Chase Freedom, Discover More: All of the above plus you get the seasonal 5% in a certain category

Another honorable mention goes to American Express Blue Cash, which is good if you spend more than $6,500/year

I have a discover platinum, but I rarely use it. I thought it was only giving a .05% back, so I stopped using it years ago. I can pretty much get any card approved, but I need a good cocktail to maximize my cashback/points. Sony card has sucked since Chase took it over. They randomly take off points without notification (and no they didn't expire) and don't even print your points on your statement anymore, so you have to look online to see what you have.

Another honorable mention goes to American Express Blue Cash, which is good if you spend more than $6,500/year

What do you get for that one?

[quote name='PhrostByte']If I wanted more than 2 cards though, I would definitely apply for some of the ones you guys mentioned. Here's how I would do it.

3 cards: PenFed, MTVu, Chase Freedom: All of the above plus you get 3% in your top 3 spending categories.. since you have the other two cards for everything else... this basically means you'll rarely get LESS than 3% on any purchases[/quote]

Dammit that's a really good point that I never thought of. If I just use the Chase Freedom for only 3 categories, then I'm going to get 3% back all the time, period. bloody brilliant!

However, I think the third card (I have a Wells Fargo and a Chase Freedom) I would want is the Capital One Triple Rewards, because I have to charge a lot of stuff to my own card for work (travel, airfare, etc). Much like bigl523, it's easy to build up points with my company because I charge everything to my own card.

[quote name='FecesBreath']Dammit that's a really good point that I never thought of. If I just use the Chase Freedom for only 3 categories, then I'm going to get 3% back all the time, period. bloody brilliant!

However, I think the third card (I have a Wells Fargo and a Chase Freedom) I would want is the Capital One Triple Rewards, because I have to charge a lot of stuff to my own card for work (travel, airfare, etc). Much like bigl523, it's easy to build up points with my company because I charge everything to my own card.[/quote]

Also, if you have a Chase checking account, the Freedom gives 3% back for 5 categories. The card is still not perfect because there's a limit of $600 of purchases a month max on the 3% categories. If you get to this limit often, you should use a different card for gas and groceries. You might want to use another card for gas anyway because there should be 5% cards around.

I only use Freedom and Amazon cards these days, and I actually use the Amazon rarely because I usually buy through my friend's Prime acct.

Wow I just have a standard local bank Visa I think the rate is 12% I also have an WAMU (JP Morgan now) debit mastercard and I got a little cash back from it. And I have a Zales card I used to get a engangment ring, wedding bands, and a few other gifts

I might be interested in that Penfed or the MTVu card, my wife I and I have been looking for something like that with 5% gas, 5% restaurants, 5% bookstores (amazon), 5% video rental places, 5% movies, 5% bars, 2% groceriess, 1.25% otherwi

would you recommend the penfed or chase freedom? is it better to get a discount on your statement or cashback?

How do i go about signing up for penfed?

[quote name='slowdive21']
What do you get for that one?[/quote]

Blue Cash gets more rewarding the more you use it. After you spend $6,500 on your Card, you boost your earnings from 0.5% to 1.5% on every purchase you make. Plus, you can go from 1% to 5% on everyday items like groceries and gasoline.
The thing is.. I'm pretty sure that you get your 1.5/5% on purchases AFTER $6,500.. and not all your purchases for the year.. which makes the card horrible.

[quote name='shadylane']would you recommend the penfed or chase freedom? is it better to get a discount on your statement or cashback?

How do i go about signing up for penfed?[/quote]

A discount on your statement = cash back. Are you asking if I prefer cash back or points? I definitely prefer cash back... I would go with PenFed, since your rebates are credited directly to your account at the end of the monthly billing statement.

To sign up for the PenFed card, you need to sign up for a PenFed account first.. and in order to do that, you need to do what I talked about in my original post.

[quote name='shadylane']would you recommend the penfed or chase freedom? is it better to get a discount on your statement or cashback?

A discount on your statement = cash back. I usually prefer cash back to points. Are you asking if I prefer cash back or points? I definitely prefer cash back... I would go with PenFed, since your rebates are credited directly to your account at the end of the monthly billing statement.

To sign up for the PenFed card, you need to sign up for PenFed account first.. and in order to do that, you need to do what I talked about in my original post.

Follow the instructions in the first post
I never bothered because I'm not associated with the military and I'm too lazy to figure out whether the membership fee is worth it

Well, like I said.. I think joining SAME might be free, that's what I heard anyway.

I joined MOAA when they were offering free one month trials, my account was automatically closed after one month. Never got any e-mail from them, no hassles whatsoever. And it's definitely worth it.. Whatever cost it is for 1 month, you'll probably recooperate it quickly with cash back. Also, the money goes to a good cause.. something to do with the military. :lol:

[quote name='Trakan']How much have you spent to get all that free stuff?[/quote]

Well I owned the card for quite a few years before I got the ps3 and didn't realize that they had a sony rewards site that I could have been racking up a bunch of free points every day on, so I was allready well on my way to a ps3 but that was after 4 years or so.

But after I learned how to work the sony site, the points rack up quickly, not super quick, but it's quite easy to get stuff with patience, plus the points are FREE, buying non sony stuff nets 1 point per dollar, sony stuff 3 points per dollar, and then add in at least 100 points or more a week free on the sony site.

Do a search here on the forum for the sony thread to learn about the free points.

well i think the chase freedome would be better cause i shop at the supermarket but i don't buy gas since i live in NY and take the subway

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178010

I added the link for the SONY card info - look for my posts to find links and explanations of the sony card.

TO address some of the comments on the sony card I've been reading, YES 1% sucks, the interest on the card is not great and the rewards redemptions on the website are redicullously overpriced, but if you do a small, very small amount of effort to learn HOW to use your sony card you will see that it can be very rewarding.

IF YOU HAVE THE SONY CARD AND ARE ON THIS FORUM, BEING A CAGGER THIS IS A MUST READ!

If you don't have the card, but are thinking about getting it, this thread is a must read.

You will see many of my posts in this thread where I tell people how to get free points, and how to redeem for rewards, and NO I don't work for the sony card site or anything sony related.

In respect to the OP, I don't mean to threadjack, I'm just trying to add to your credit card list, you have a good thread going, and I thought I could contribute, because not too many people know of how to use this card, it's a hidden gem.

[quote name='Conroy']Also, if you have a Chase checking account, the Freedom gives 3% back for 5 categories. The card is still not perfect because there's a limit of $600 of purchases a month max on the 3% categories. If you get to this limit often, you should use a different card for gas and groceries. You might want to use another card for gas anyway because there should be 5% cards around.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip on the checking account! Is this a standard offer, or a promotional thing? I got an offer in the mail from them where I would get $200 rewards for opening a checking account, but I missed out on it. Have you gotten any other checking account offers from Chase?

[quote name='FecesBreath']Thanks for the tip on the checking account! Is this a standard offer, or a promotional thing? I got an offer in the mail from them where I would get $200 rewards for opening a checking account, but I missed out on it. Have you gotten any other checking account offers from Chase?[/quote]

It was their standard when they started doing it; I believe it should still be the standard. I do get offers once in awhile for rewards for opening checking account, but I've never been able to use them because I've had a Chase account for years.

Hmm this is weird
I was just googling for information on Freedom and it seems like it's changed a lot. I don't see the 3% on 3 categories being advertised anymore:
http://www.chasefreedomnow.com/earn_rewards/

Edit: if you find the card through chase.com, you'll get to a link advertising the 3% back on categories, but it seems like the card might be getting a downgrade:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/876619
Maybe it's time for me to look into the penfed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted earlier in the thread and I just now came to realize...

With the amount of money I spend per month on groceries, games, and all sorts of other shit, I really SHOULD BE charging the card and getting the maximum amount of cashback from it. I budget everything I buy anyway so paying the card off is not an issue at all. Better, the $300 I can get out of it can be put back into my high-yield (well, lol nowadays, fucking Feds) savings account.

[quote name='JolietJake']I signed up for the MTVU card, should be getting it soon.[/quote]

It's by far my favorite card in my wallet. I love Citi. That was my first Citi card and now I have 3.

Yeah. I spend a ton at amazon.. too bad the MTVu card is ridiculously ugly.. once I get mine in the mail, I'm gonna call citi and asked them to send me one with different graphics, they probably won't, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Anyone know if barnes and noble online counts as a bookstore? I assume it does.

What are you guys planning on using the ty points for with the MTVu card? Ever since they took away 10K point $100 gift cards I felt there wasn't much to get.

[quote name='bigl523']What are you guys planning on using the ty points for with the MTVu card? Ever since they took away 10K point $100 gift cards I felt there wasn't much to get.[/quote]

Student loan rebate

[quote name='Conroy'] Hmm this is weird
I was just googling for information on Freedom and it seems like it's changed a lot. I don't see the 3% on 3 categories being advertised anymore:
http://www.chasefreedomnow.com/earn_rewards/

Edit: if you find the card through chase.com, you'll get to a link advertising the 3% back on categories, but it seems like the card might be getting a downgrade:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/876619
Maybe it's time for me to look into the penfed.[/quote]

Conroy you are right - it has changed significantly. They still give you 3% cash back on the top 3 categories, but only for the first six months. Man, the economy is really in a shit hole. Now I'll have to give them a call to make sure that my current card's features are locked in!

So forget my recommendation of the Chase Freedom then, hehe :whistle2:#

[quote name='bigl523']Are you doing the trick where you just cash it even though you don't have student loans?[/quote]

Well, I do have student loans.. but I'm gonna try cashing it anyway. :)

[quote name='FecesBreath']Conroy you are right - it has changed significantly. They still give you 3% cash back on the top 3 categories, but only for the first six months. Man, the economy is really in a shit hole. Now I'll have to give them a call to make sure that my current card's features are locked in!

So forget my recommendation of the Chase Freedom then, hehe :whistle2:#[/quote]

Why did no one check my post? It reads right there on the Chase website that the 3% cashback and 5% cashback are still features of the Chase Freedom.

[quote name='GuardianE']Why did no one check my post? It reads right there on the Chase website that the 3% cashback and 5% cashback are still features of the Chase Freedom.[/quote]

That's the business version of the card. Do you know if you can get that card without actually having a business?

Man, I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread. I've had my current card (Capital One Platinum) for around 10 years. It started at $200, and is now up to only $5000, despite several requests for an increase several years apart. Not that I need a higher limit, since I never get that high and pay it off every month, but I'd like to have a higher impact on my credit score.

Not only do they keep refusing to increase my limit, but my APR is crap -- 19.80%. For being a loyal customer for so many years, they're not doing much to keep me around. The rewards are alright, I use points and usually order a $50 Amazon GC for every $5000 I spend.

Still, I'm thinking about 'retiring' this card, keeping it open because I've had it forever, but getting a new one with better features. I'm thinking about going with Chase, since I've got my truck loan through them. I'm non-military, and years out of college, so those cards are out, and I see FecesBreath :)lol:) retracted his recommendation for the Chase Freedom card, so what else would be good?

I think if you already had a Freedom before the changes you are grandfathered in. My rewards info online still shows that I get 3% in the top 3 spending categories. It appears that the new Freedom is doing a Discover card type deal where each quarter you get different categories that give 3% cash back while for the first 6 months you get 3% back on gas/fast food/groceries as well.

[quote name='PR Mega X']Man, I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread. I've had my current card (Capital One Platinum) for around 10 years. It started at $200, and is now up to only $5000, despite several requests for an increase several years apart. Not that I need a higher limit, since I never get that high and pay it off every month, but I'd like to have a higher impact on my credit score.

Not only do they keep refusing to increase my limit, but my APR is crap -- 19.80%. For being a loyal customer for so many years, they're not doing much to keep me around. The rewards are alright, I use points and usually order a $50 Amazon GC for every $5000 I spend.

Still, I'm thinking about 'retiring' this card, keeping it open because I've had it forever, but getting a new one with better features. I'm thinking about going with Chase, since I've got my truck loan through them. I'm non-military, and years out of college, so those cards are out, and I see FecesBreath :)lol:) retracted his recommendation for the Chase Freedom card, so what else would be good?[/quote]

Good plan, keep your oldest card open. Thing is, you don't have to be military to get a PenFed. If for some reason you don't feel like getting a PenFed, maybe I can recommend a different card. Just describe your spending habits and I'll do my best to find your something suitable.

I buy most of my gas on a credit card about $75 a month, and once in a while I buy stuff online usually no more then $50 a month, and I use it to pay for Wow and that's about it.

[quote name='Conroy']That's the business version of the card. Do you know if you can get that card without actually having a business?[/quote]

I keep getting invited to, but honestly, I'm not sure. I thought it was the regular card. Go critical reading.

[quote name='kube00']I buy most of my gas on a credit card about $75 a month, and once in a while I buy stuff online usually no more then $50 a month, and I use it to pay for Wow and that's about it.[/quote]

PenFed has 5% off gas everywhere.

[quote name='GuardianE']I keep getting invited to, but honestly, I'm not sure. I thought it was the regular card. Go critical reading.[/quote]

Hmm.
At least one site says you can do it, by "selecting “sole proprietor” as your business type and using your social security number. You don’t need a legal business, and you don’t need a business tax ID number. You do, however, need very good credit."

That could open up more interesting options...

[quote name='PhrostByte']PenFed has 5% off gas everywhere.[/quote]

and if you don't qualify for one of the free options (student membership to SAME, for example), it's a one time $20 cost to join NMFA for a year and then cancel.
Assuming you'd get 1% otherwise on gas, it would take $500 of gas to break even. If you'd get 3% otherwise, it would take $1000 of gas to break even.
I guess that's not too bad, especially if you have any use for other PenFed products.

[quote name='PR Mega X']Man, I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread. I've had my current card (Capital One Platinum) for around 10 years. It started at $200, and is now up to only $5000, despite several requests for an increase several years apart. Not that I need a higher limit, since I never get that high and pay it off every month, but I'd like to have a higher impact on my credit score.

Still, I'm thinking about 'retiring' this card, keeping it open because I've had it forever, but getting a new one with better features. I'm thinking about going with Chase, since I've got my truck loan through them. I'm non-military, and years out of college, so those cards are out, and I see FecesBreath :)lol:) retracted his recommendation for the Chase Freedom card, so what else would be good?[/quote]

I used to also have a Capital One Platinum card, it started at a $1000 limited and for the life of the card, around 6 years, the limit never increased or decreased. The APR went up though, from below 10% to around 20%. Even though I've asked them to cancel the card and close account, it seems to have remain active on my credit history. Even though I haven't had anything to do with them for a couple years now.

I now have a couple of Chase cards, and though experience may vary, the customer service rep has always been helpful the few times I've called about various issues.

Great thread guys, I signed up for the PenFed card for gas and groceries, it is something I've been wanting to do but never took the time to do it. Thanks for all the great info.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Good plan, keep your oldest card open. Thing is, you don't have to be military to get a PenFed. If for some reason you don't feel like getting a PenFed, maybe I can recommend a different card. Just describe your spending habits and I'll do my best to find your something suitable.[/QUOTE]

I'll look into PenFed over the weekend, I should have some free time. As for spending habits, it's hard for me to break it down -- everything goes on my credit card, from the cable bill to fast food to mailing packages to filling my truck. My average CC bill is around $1000-1300. But I imagine this info doesn't help much ;)

[quote name='PR Mega X']I'll look into PenFed over the weekend, I should have some free time. As for spending habits, it's hard for me to break it down -- everything goes on my credit card, from the cable bill to fast food to mailing packages to filling my truck. My average CC bill is around $1000-1300. But I imagine this info doesn't help much ;)[/quote]

Actually it does.. American Express Blue gives you 5% on gas/groceries/drug stores and 1.5 off otherwise.. the catch is you need to spend at least $6,500 a year. That sounds like a good card for you. The only problem is I'm not sure if the discount is applied to all purchases made AFTER $6,500 or if it's applied to your entire yearly spending. I'm pretty sure it's the former. :cry:

Yeah I am thinking of doing the CC for all spending as well and then pay it off each month for the points. I have an HRA (health Reimbursement account) at my office and use a card for that and when i get the checks I pay the card and then pay the bill over the phone... its a small perk for me doing the HRA.

Also as its been said your debit car offers no protection should you lose it, misplace it, or simply want to fight a charge... its SOL for those that have these issues.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Actually it does.. American Express Blue gives you 5% on gas/groceries/drug stores and 1.5 off otherwise.. the catch is you need to spend at least $6,500 a year. That sounds like a good card for you. The only problem is I'm not sure if the discount is applied to all purchases made AFTER $6,500 or if it's applied to your entire yearly spending. I'm pretty sure it's the former. :cry:[/QUOTE]

your intuition is right.
the discount is only applied to purchases made AFTER the $6,500 mark.

adding to america's debt, this thread should be closed. I dont know, stupid post, kinda bored, go back to school next week, ill remember this day.

I have no credit outside of my student loans, so I picked up the student card. The registration says you have to be a student, and it asks for the school in the application. I was instantly approved for it so I'm pretty sure anyone can get it.

bread's done
Back