The Cursed Crusade-Atlus' new hack n slash RPG-$29.99 new/$24.99 used @ Gamestop

The demo did not suggest crummy voice acting. I rather liked the voice acting. In fact, were it not for the reviews, the demo might have sold me on the game.

Well, that and First Templar's promising opening fizzling once the mechanics lost their luster. Once bitten...

:lol: How'd I know people would bring up the "reviews" within the first 10 posts?:razz: Personally I never judge a game by a demo or some 'professional' review anymore. There have been far too many games I've picked up on a whim that reviewers gave horrid scores to that I enjoyed the hell out of.

Yeah, I actually really liked the demo. I wanted more when it left at that cliff-hanger! So yeah, I'll most likely pick it up when it drops even more. Very promising to hear it's already fallen as far as it has in price!

Thanks for the heads up! I played the demo and thought it was decent for what it was. I think I'm going to wait and grab it when it hits the $15 range.

[quote name='lutz']IGN gave this a 4, so I think I'll just save my $10 even if it was $10[/QUOTE]

While I usually never agree with IGN reviews, they are correct on this one

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol: How'd I know people would bring up the "reviews" within the first 10 posts?:razz: Personally I never judge a game by a demo or some 'professional' review anymore. There have been far too many games I've picked up on a whim that reviewers gave horrid scores to that I enjoyed the hell out of.[/QUOTE]

I'll give games a chance, even if the average reviews they get are below 70%.. but when the game scores 40% on average I won't buy it at any price, unless it's rare and worth reselling.

bullshit...i picked this up launch day (at MSRP) because I had alot of credit to burn and enjoyed the demo. I hate missing deals especially when I jump the gun on a retail price. ps gameplay is SUPER repetitive. Wouldn't go as far as to say its terrible...the devil mode is pretty cool.

I have a soft spot for shite games but I'm not sure this is b-grade enough to be enjoyable. Demo was bad but not awful... hrm. I'll wait for the inevitable $10 gamefly or gohastings used copy.

The demo was just tedious and didn't seem to suggest it ever changing. Though I enjoyed the super half assed gore, which looked more like bad clipping issues when stabbing someone.

I'll check it out. Was planning on waiting for a 20 dollar or less price, but I dunno.. Im always leery with Atlus and Aksys games. They can either become very rare, or very cheap it seems

It's odd how low budget games like this always seem to try new things to gameplay that you wonder why no one else ever does. I liked how in the demo you would lose your weapon and have to randomly pick up a new one from the ground. As opposed to all big budget games have you wielding a never dull sword that will never break or be lost.

Of course the big game reviewers still criticize games for taking such risks and will heap praise on the next predictable game sequel like Assassin's Creed 8 or whatever they are up to now.

I wouldn't call this an RPG by any stretch.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol: How'd I know people would bring up the "reviews" within the first 10 posts?:razz: Personally I never judge a game by a demo or some 'professional' review anymore. There have been far too many games I've picked up on a whim that reviewers gave horrid scores to that I enjoyed the hell out of.[/QUOTE]

So... you just buy EVERYTHING? Wow.

Reviews aren't the be-all-end-all word on games, but if pretty much every review savages a game, it's a safe bet that my time (and money!) are better spent elsewhere. And nothing will sell me on a game faster than a great demo.

i dont see any reason to buy this now since it was scored so low, this will definitely sell for a lot less sometime in the future so no need to jump on this now if you are actually interested in the game

The reviews are bad, but have there been any reviews of the co-op?
The demo and reviews have a hunted: demon forge vibe- a heavily flawed game, but one that is still very enjoyable in co-op

[quote name='vherub']The reviews are bad, but have there been any reviews of the co-op?
The demo and reviews have a hunted: demon forge vibe- a heavily flawed game, but one that is still very enjoyable in co-op[/QUOTE]

I never play games co-op and I loved Hunted.

[quote name='themidgardknight']Yeah, I actually really liked the demo. I wanted more when it left at that cliff-hanger![/QUOTE]

Heh. Then I bet you'll really want the sequel as soon as you finish the full game. From what I've heard, it ends on a cliffhanger as well.

I played the demo co-op and loved it. We touched a barrel and it flew 20 feet (probably not supposed to happen). This seems like a game with cheesy charm like Deadly Premonition or Earth Defense Force.

RPG? Just because the characters are wearing medieval armor doesn't suddenly make it an Elder Scrolls ripoff, buddy.

THIS IS NOT AN RPG!!!! ill repeat that THIS IS NOT AN RPG!!!! its an action adventure game and in no way is it even labeled as an rpg. i collect all rpgs so i would know if it was an rpg it would be on my list to buy.

[quote name='gauu']THIS IS NOT AN RPG!!!! ill repeat that THIS IS NOT AN RPG!!!! its an action adventure game and in no way is it even labeled as an rpg. i collect all rpgs so i would know if it was an rpg it would be on my list to buy.[/QUOTE]

No one even agrees on what an RPG is so you really don't have a point. On basic definition a role playing game would be any game where you play a role. Some people say you have to have stats, some people call zelda an RPG. There are hardly even similarities between WRPGs and JRPGs.

Basically stop the over genrefication of games and just leave it be.

[quote name='biledriver']No one even agrees on what an RPG is so you really don't have a point.[/QUOTE]
Going by all the game mechanics both JRPGs & WRPGs but this game lacks, I think it's safe to say you're a derp & RPG should be edited out of the title. Not once did the demo ever scream RPG, all it is a co-op hack & slash with degrading weapons you occasionally have to switch for new ones, that's all.

[quote name='bardockkun']So I'm to understand now this IS an RPG?[/QUOTE]
By most accounts this is a crappy game, dont matter if it is RPG or not.

I hated the demo.

All I did was tap X and I won, I wouldn't call that an RPG, hell I wouldn't even call it a hack n slash. I had a funner time tapping A while playing FF13. Maybe this will hit a Gamefly nightly deal soon :)

[quote name='mkelehan']I wouldn't call this an RPG by any stretch.

So... you just buy EVERYTHING? Wow.

Reviews aren't the be-all-end-all word on games, but if pretty much every review savages a game, it's a safe bet that my time (and money!) are better spent elsewhere. And nothing will sell me on a game faster than a great demo.[/QUOTE]
No. I don't buy EVERYTHING, since I'm not interested in every single genre. Most games I don't buy at MSRP either, but I've had a bunch of Amazon credit for a while now and they've been doing $10-20 promo credits on quite a few titles I've had an interest in.

It's like riding the Kmart 'coupon train', cept I get my stuff brought right to my house so I don't have to deal with the lazy/ignorant employees in electronics there or spend real cash on the games.:razz:;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Never judge a game by a demo or "professional" reviews? Do you let a monkey pick the game for you?

[quote name='URABAHN']Never judge a game by a demo or "professional" reviews? Do you let a monkey pick the game for you?[/QUOTE]
No. I usually would pick up games I'm interested in USED at someplace like Gamestop, where they have that 7 day no questions asked return policy. That way if I hate the game I'm not stuck with it.;)

And yes, I know it 'doesn't support the devs that way', but like many on here I only care about getting my games for as cheap as I possibly can with only a few exceptions.

Thing is, all demos usually have a disclaimer to them that 'this is a work in progress' and not a final version of the game. So I still don't get why so many base their decisions to buy a game based on playing a demo, since those are usually glorified 'betas' at best most times.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
Thing is, all demos usually have a disclaimer to them that 'this is a work in progress' and not a final version of the game. So I still don't get why so many base their decisions to buy a game based on playing a demo, since those are usually glorified 'betas' at best most times.[/QUOTE]

I don't dude. I can definitely agree reviews don't really mean a lot, considering tastes differ, and not all reviewers are dependable. I think we've all read one of those reviews where you KNOW a guy hated a game just because he happens to have had a bad day.

But 9 times out of 10, demos have been a pretty accurate tool for determining if I will like a game or not. If a company can't produce a decent ten minute demo representing their game, they shouldn't make one at all. Why should I trust your full product if your "sample" is broken?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Thing is, all demos usually have a disclaimer to them that 'this is a work in progress' and not a final version of the game. So I still don't get why so many base their decisions to buy a game based on playing a demo, since those are usually glorified 'betas' at best most times.[/QUOTE]

While this is true, how much of an improvement can they actually make before they enter mass production of the game? I have never played a demo that was so far inferior to its final piece that they can be called different entities. And besides, aren't demos, in their purpose, supposed to demonstrate to potential customers the mechanics, plot, ect. of a game before it releases in order to promote interest? If a demo isn't that much exciting, the final piece isn't going to be better.

Sorry if this sounds snobbish, just adding my opinion.

I'm the same. I loved the hell out of Conan, and every review I read said it was garbage. All I did was parry-one hit kill everyone. There were a ton of moves and finishers so it never got boring.
That said, I'll get this when it's $10. Like just about everything else I get.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']No. I usually would pick up games I'm interested in USED at someplace like Gamestop, where they have that 7 day no questions asked return policy. That way if I hate the game I'm not stuck with it.;)

And yes, I know it 'doesn't support the devs that way', but like many on here I only care about getting my games for as cheap as I possibly can with only a few exceptions.

Thing is, all demos usually have a disclaimer to them that 'this is a work in progress' and not a final version of the game. So I still don't get why so many base their decisions to buy a game based on playing a demo, since those are usually glorified 'betas' at best most times.[/QUOTE]

This is true sometimes, but for my own experience I have found that 90% of the time it is close enough that whatever opinion I had stands. For a random example: AvP. I HATED the demo. Then I heard from people how it was different now and blah blah blah. BS, it was basically the same, and that game was garbage.

I might get this when it is $15-$20 for a new copy. If the demo is still available I'll try it out first and watch some gameplay/review videos on it.

am i offended??? no LOL. i just dont want someone whose like oh an atlus rpg thinking this is a RPG when in fact ITS NOT!!!
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/611671-the-cursed-crusade

i use that site for all my collection stuff as well as a few other rpg sites. ive been collecting rpgs for over 15 years now(working on owning every american released rpg game,demo,guide,promo etc...) ive amassed quite a bit and i know what an rpg is/isnt.

as far as the zelda and castlevania etc... stuff. they are action/adventure games as well i collect zelda and castlevania myself only cause i love the series. some games are classified as PARTIAL rpgs due to the fact they have rpg elements in them like fallout,mass effect etc.. those ones being mostly shooters but having an rpg element in them with the ability to customize and level parts/skills.

true rpgs are your wrpgs/jrpgs(really the only big difference is your characters and the style wheras stuff like lost odyssey being japanese based is a jrpg and stuff like the wild arms series are wrpgs)

hope this clarifies some on rpgs for people and if not you can always ask me anything rpgish. ive played well over 1500 games and own much more then that.

Played the demo with a buddy of mine and I liked it so I may give it a shot at $30.

Price matching it at Fry's, of course.

[quote name='lutz']IGN gave this a 4, so I think I'll just save my $10 even if it was $10[/QUOTE]

Hmm.. IGN also gave God Hand a 4, so....

Sold!

bread's done
Back