The definitive sony card rewards thread - a good start to a free game or controller

Would using the purchase credit form work with most online retailers? Or does Sony have a list, perhaps? I'm interested in ordering a product, but it is being sold by third party sellers on Amazon...so I kind of doubt it would work.

im thinking about getting a sony card...but dont they from time to time offer certain insentives for joining...im wondering if I should hold out for a special promo before I sign up

[quote name='josh62488']im thinking about getting a sony card...but dont they from time to time offer certain insentives for joining...im wondering if I should hold out for a special promo before I sign up[/QUOTE]

If you do not have points expiring, I would wait for a deal. I signed up 10 years ago and I only got 2000 points ($20), my brother signed up the next year and got 5000 points ($50). And in the past few years I believe the offer went up as high as $300 if you met the purchase requirements.

well i just joined, so expiring points is not a problem....I have 3,400 points...it's just frustrating cuz I have enough for Uncharted 1 but since I dont have a card...I can only apply 500 points...annoying4

hopefully when I get a card the points will carry over

ill guess i'll wait for a good incentive

thx man

[quote name='josh62488']
ill guess i'll wait for a good incentive
[/QUOTE]
I think it will be quite a while before we see credit card offers like we used to see even a year or two ago. If you get any sort of incentive with this card, I'd say go for it. Who knows how long the program will be around? Rewards for cards aren't getting better... they're getting worse everywhere. I'd say get this card and its benefits while you still can.

[quote name='simmias']Redeem -> Insider Specials. Last item on the bottom. Don't bother if you don't have the Sony or Playstation credit card.[/QUOTE]

I have a card now but I still can't see the insider specials. Was there something I had to do once receiving the card to get this to show up? (yes I've already called and had the card activated)

Thanks!

[quote name='major morgan']^ Have you linked your rewards account to your CC? Simply having the CC and rewards account doesn't make them tied together.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I eventually figured that out. Thanks!

Got my first PSN card already.

Hey All,
I just wanted to take a quick second out to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread, to fellow CAG's, and even anyone viewing... it turns out i just got my Playstation card this week, and I ended up being the daily winner yesterday, so I was able to switch it out for a 40 in Sony LCD :) Thanks to everyone, i just wanted you all to know a fellow CAG won a sweet prize, and say thanks. (((Updating your wish list really helps and works!!!!)))

I'm probably gonna buy 2 Sony TV's sometime soon. Probably in the next couple of months. I know there have been better into offers for signing up with this card in the past. Should I jump now on the $50 for joining or wait for a better deal?

If I don't find a really good deal on previous year models that have just been phased out, I'll probably get 2 Sony 40EX500's @ ~$800 each from Costco. Costco because if you buy there, you're getting a 40EX501 which is all black (no silver on the bottom like the regular ones) and a 3 year warranty (not a 1 year warranty like the regular ones).

So, should I jump now or wait and see if a better deal comes available? It's of course possible that if I wait I won't even get the $50.

I don't game. I've been thinking about getting back into it, but the looking I've done, I'd probably get PC games anyway. Wasn't the better deals on free PS3's? Not horribly interested in a PS3. Maybe if it were extraordinarily cheap, like $50. $100 I'd be tempted, but probably not bite. And, it'd really be for the streaming internet video on the new PS3's. Don't think I'd get into gaming on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jmarano7836']Hey All,
I just wanted to take a quick second out to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread, to fellow CAG's, and even anyone viewing... it turns out i just got my Playstation card this week, and I ended up being the daily winner yesterday, so I was able to switch it out for a 40 in Sony LCD :) Thanks to everyone, i just wanted you all to know a fellow CAG won a sweet prize, and say thanks. (((Updating your wish list really helps and works!!!!)))[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Congrats! :cool::drool:

I just wanted to take a quick second out to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread, to fellow CAG's, and even anyone viewing... it turns out i just got my Playstation card this week, and I ended up being the daily winner yesterday, so I was able to switch it out for a 40 in Sony LCD :) Thanks to everyone, i just wanted you all to know a fellow CAG won a sweet prize, and say thanks. (((Updating your wish list really helps and works!!!!)))[/QUOTE]
Holy crap, that's awesome! Congrats! Want to buy some lottery tickets for me? ;)

Congratulations. Good to know people from CAG do win the daily contests.

Congrats. :applause:

Did you find out your victory via e-mail or on the Sony Rewards site? I hardly check my spam e-mail account so I'm curious.

im jealous

congrats!

[quote name='evergoo']Congrats. :applause:

Did you find out your victory via e-mail or on the Sony Rewards site? I hardly check my spam e-mail account so I'm curious.[/QUOTE]

Well, I normally check the site daily, but IF YOU DO WIN, they never send you an email notification or anything letting you know you are a winner. Essentially they give you 24 Hours to claim your prize and check the site, (and it's posted the following day in the morning around 9-11am ish.... I only say this because I entered it on Thursday, won it for Friday, and signed in on Saturday at 9am to find I WON and had less than 2 hours to claim my prize (saw the 1 hour and 40 mins and almost freaked then rushed to complete the transaction)....

Quick Answer: NO, sony never emails, calls, notifys you. Your sign in screen where they advertise things that scrolls will state "You're a WINNER! Claim your prize" and there will be a button. If you have the credit card and its registered to your sonyrewards account, then the item you won (mine was supposed to be a stereo) will be checked, and your WISH LIST will be below and you can just check some other item (40in LCD) in my case. Then you process and order is confirmed..... I have to wait for tax info now since it is a "luxury item", and sony probably gets a deduction from giving away stuff. Then it'll be delivered. :)

For those that have rewards built up, sonystyle has 120 gb ps3 slims in stock. You can buy $100 sonystyle gift cards for 9500 points or $95 cash. I'm waiting on a potential local sale of my 80gb mgs ps3 or I'd have already ordered. Have about 10,000 points to burn and hope they stay in stock until I sell my old system.

The SonyStyle site trys to download stuff to my harddrive when I go to it.
I personally hate sonystyle and think they suck.

I went and registered 5 products last year to get the free 2500 points. Has anybody checked to see if we can do the same thing again this year?

Does anyone know if you can get PSN cards without getting the credit card? I applied for one last year and was denied so I doubt I would get one this year. I imagine it'll be slow with just the website stuff to do for points but it'd probably be enough to cover all the stuff I'd want on the PSN. At the very least it would save me some cash:)

[quote name='Swordbreaker']Does anyone know if you can get PSN cards without getting the credit card? I applied for one last year and was denied so I doubt I would get one this year. I imagine it'll be slow with just the website stuff to do for points but it'd probably be enough to cover all the stuff I'd want on the PSN. At the very least it would save me some cash:)[/QUOTE]

I do not believe you can, as they are part of the "Insider Specials" which I believe are only available to card holders.

[quote name='Swordbreaker']Dang. Any idea if the card is still from chase bank? If it's a different bank I might be able to get it.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, still from Chase. And you must be a cardholder to get the PSN cards. There are other ways around that. You can get a $100 GC from Kmart or Sears from rewards and use that to buy PSN cards.

Grr well it can't hurt to try again I guess, they can only say no again. Any idea if the point limitations for non card holders apply to gift cards as well? It says in the OP post that you can only use up to 500 points towards games but doesn't say if anything else is limited.

[quote name='Swordbreaker']Grr well it can't hurt to try again I guess, they can only say no again. Any idea if the point limitations for non card holders apply to gift cards as well? It says in the OP post that you can only use up to 500 points towards games but doesn't say if anything else is limited.[/QUOTE]
In order to get the most use of your points. You have to get an item that costs more than 10001 points. $100 gift cards are 11000 points so if you have 10001 points, you still have to spend $9.99 on your own credit card to get the gift card.

Any items 10000 points and below, you can ONLY use 500 points. Any items 10001 points and above, you can use unlimited points. IF you have a Sony Card, even items 10000 points, you can use as many as you want.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get credit back from sony purchases? Also, if I don't have a balance, will I just receive credit on my card which I can use for future purchases? I just bought a video game with my Playstation card and submitted the Credit Request form about 3 weeks ago and already paid off the card.

[quote name='disillusion386']Does anyone know how long it takes to get credit back from sony purchases? Also, if I don't have a balance, will I just receive credit on my card which I can use for future purchases? I just bought a video game with my Playstation card and submitted the Credit Request form about 3 weeks ago and already paid off the card.[/QUOTE]

After you mail it, it can take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks from my experiences.

If you don't have a balance, you will have a credit on your account for future.

[quote name='decon']After you mail it, it can take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks from my experiences.

If you don't have a balance, you will have a credit on your account for future.[/QUOTE]

Okay, that's not bad. Thanks!

Might be a silly question, but you can't get a purchase credit for buying a used game off of amazon right?

[quote name='madh83']Might be a silly question, but you can't get a purchase credit for buying a used game off of amazon right?[/QUOTE]

Yup :D

But you only get 3x the points instead of 5x.

[quote name='jh6269']Yup :D

But you only get 3x the points instead of 5x.[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify, so I can buy a used game on amazon.com from any of the marketplace users and still get credited??

[quote name='madh83']Just to clarify, so I can buy a used game on amazon.com from any of the marketplace users and still get credited??[/QUOTE]

Oh, sorry, I didn't notice the word "used" in your message... No, you can't get credit for used games/merchandise.

If that were the case, Sony would be effectively rewarding you for giving their competition money (they make nothing off of the used game market).

[quote name='Archfiend']I might have to give it a shot, how long does it take to get 10000 points?[/QUOTE]

Well, according to my calculations, you can get around 445 points a week; so it would take you around 22 weeks or 5 months. (If you don't have the card, with the card you get credit for purchases).

[quote name='jh6269']Oh, sorry, I didn't notice the word "used" in your message... No, you can't get credit for used games/merchandise.

If that were the case, Sony would be effectively rewarding you for giving their competition money (they make nothing off of the used game market).[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what their official policy is, but I picked up a used copy of resistance 2 at a local used game store and sent in the purchase credit form just to give it a try. They reimbursed me for the game. I was actually really surprised because:
1) It was used
2) It was from a local store that only has 2 branches total (didn't think they'd be an "approved" vendor). They actually ONLY sell used games.
3) I got it as part of a b1g1 deal, and the second game was a wii game. I made sure they rang up the wii game as the free game (both were $40 normally, so I paid $40 total and sony reimbursed me for the full $40).

Sweet. Just got my purchase credit and points from my digital camera purchase. Used 25,000 or so points on it.

[quote name='jka347']I'm not sure what their official policy is, but I picked up a used copy of resistance 2 at a local used game store and sent in the purchase credit form just to give it a try. They reimbursed me for the game. I was actually really surprised because:
1) It was used
2) It was from a local store that only has 2 branches total (didn't think they'd be an "approved" vendor). They actually ONLY sell used games.
3) I got it as part of a b1g1 deal, and the second game was a wii game. I made sure they rang up the wii game as the free game (both were $40 normally, so I paid $40 total and sony reimbursed me for the full $40).[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, well, looks like you got lucky :) I'm too lazy to try to find out for sure what the policy is. I don't buy many used games, so I don't really care. Anyway, unless the policy says otherwise, I'd probably err on the side of caution and bank on them not covering used game sales for the bonus points.

The policy is new items only. $10 or more. They told me they will not take my 9.99 games anymore. It can be any SONY product as well as any blu-ray or PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP UMD format.

[quote name='decon']After you mail it, it can take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks from my experiences.

If you don't have a balance, you will have a credit on your account for future.[/QUOTE]
Took 3 months for mine. (Bought ps3 from amazon on BF and just got credit somewhere around end of feb beginning of march).

Yeah, it seems credits are taking longer to process for some reason. I did one last summer for BlazBlue and a TE stick, and it was credited in about 3 weeks.

I assume this isn't available for Canadians? Tried to register and only the states were available to pick from :( . Sometimes it sucks being in the great white north.

[quote name='Teburninator']I assume this isn't available for Canadians? Tried to register and only the states were available to pick from :( . Sometimes it sucks being in the great white north.[/QUOTE]

Only sometimes? :lol: jk, jk. That does suck though, it's a hellofa deal imho. Hopefully they'll expand to Canada at some point.

I signed up just when the slim came out for $299 with the $300 credits. I only received my first credit, can anyone confirm they recieved the additional credits from Sony?

@horns

Which deal did you get? You get $100 credit when you buy and you can get an add'l $200?

You have to put a certain amount on your PS / Sony card within the timeframe to get the credits. They're automatic.

[quote name='jh6269']@horns

Which deal did you get? You get $100 credit when you buy and you can get an add'l $200?

You have to put a certain amount on your PS / Sony card within the timeframe to get the credits. They're automatic.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was what I did. I am a heavy credit card user. Both my wife and I are in grad school as well as professionals. I've charged well over 20k to my card since I got it in September (luckily we both get school reimbursements from our employers), so I know I met the requirements. I just looked and none of the credits were there.

It may wait for your next billing cycle.. You can also call the hotline and find out. They're pretty nice. I got all $300 of my credits last year when I did it.

bread's done
Back