The definitive sony card rewards thread - a good start to a free game or controller

These changes suck so shaq-fu'ing bad...

I have 15,100 something points I've been earning for MONTHS. I was gonna wait till March 30th, 2011 to get a PS3 160GB as cheaply as possible before my points expire.

Now non card holders can't even get a PS3, even if I could it'd be at 10% off instead of Jackpot 15%, + tax AND shipping. I have no credit cause I've always gotten by with debit, so becoming a card holder anytime soon is impossible for me.

I got burned, hard.

[quote name='shytface']These changes suck so shaq-fu'ing bad...

I have 15,100 something points I've been earning for MONTHS. I was gonna wait till March 30th, 2011 to get a PS3 160GB as cheaply as possible before my points expire.

Now non card holders can't even get a PS3, even if I could it'd be at 10% off instead of Jackpot 15%, + tax AND shipping. I have no credit cause I've always gotten by with debit, so becoming a card holder anytime soon is impossible for me.

I got burned, hard.[/QUOTE]

Have you applied? Might as well apply for the card and go buy like a pizza or something with it then pay it off as soon as it posts. That's what I did.

I applied when they were using Chase, and of course got turned down since I have no credit history. I haven't tried applying since they switched to CapOne, but I imagine I'd just get turned down again. Bad credit is better than no credit in their eyes...

I'm probably just gonna end up getting a blu-ray player or something just to use up my points. If they would have notified us of the changes they were about to make I could've gotten a PS3 for under $150. Now even if I was a cardholder it'd cost me around $180+ thanks to all the changes.

I went ahead and got a Sony Dash. I had 20,000 points and was saving for a PS3 also. Not going to get another card just for points.

[quote name='shytface']I applied when they were using Chase, and of course got turned down since I have no credit history. I haven't tried applying since they switched to CapOne, but I imagine I'd just get turned down again. Bad credit is better than no credit in their eyes...

I'm probably just gonna end up getting a blu-ray player or something just to use up my points. If they would have notified us of the changes they were about to make I could've gotten a PS3 for under $150. Now even if I was a cardholder it'd cost me around $180+ thanks to all the changes.[/QUOTE]

Ah gotcha, well I'd apply anyway if I was you never hurts to try. I'm debating on buying a game in the 6k points ball park or waiting till I get upwards in the PS3 bundles area range, which would probably take a few months and then sell the bundle or keep the bundle and sell my existing PS3.

Yeah, I wish they had an option to apply for a secured rewards card. I have a nest egg in a savings account, and I don't see why they aren't willing to just link the two, no risk involved. Or just limit my credit line to like $100 a month and inflate my interest rates into oblivion. I'd accept any terms they'd give me, I'm confident in my money-managing abilities.

Oh well, I should probably just go to my bank and take whatever card I can get to start building some credit. Still wish Sony would've given a simple heads up that said, we're about to take away Playstation items from non card holders and start charging tax + shipping after X date.

Anyone having issues trying to SUBMIT AND PRINT the Bonus / Credit Forms? Everytime I try to print/submit, I get a runtime error on the website. I tried in IE and Firefox and on two different computers.

Any ideas? I need to submit my bonus and purchase credit for my new PS3 replacement.

[quote name='doubledown']Anyone having issues trying to SUBMIT AND PRINT the Bonus / Credit Forms? Everytime I try to print/submit, I get a runtime error on the website. I tried in IE and Firefox and on two different computers.

Any ideas? I need to submit my bonus and purchase credit for my new PS3 replacement.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I did today, and every time I went to refresh it, it game me a runtime error. I even missed out on the reverse auction because of this dumbass runtime error which I'm pretty pissed about. I finally thought to reboot my PC and it worked but the auctions were all sold out. Haven't tried printing the bonus yet though.

EDIT: Yup, another run time error, and clicking any other link gives the same result.

Ok, I was going to call SONY REWARDS, but it appears to be an issue with their site. Maybe I will give them a day or two before I bitch more.

FYI..this is the ERROR:
Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

So anyone know if the $200 worth of points thing for signing up to the Capital One still active? I had a few things holding me back but now I want to apply if I can still get the offer.

I called Sony Rewards....pretty nice. She said people have been having issues. She said they were submitted, so all I have to do is send in my stuff. I took a few screenshots.

Got in on amazon.com ps3 bundle. Planning to use the form to get the 5x points as well as use the points on my account as statement credit. So that is 2 forms right?

[quote name='nakanenui']Got in on amazon.com ps3 bundle. Planning to use the form to get the 5x points as well as use the points on my account as statement credit. So that is 2 forms right?[/QUOTE]

Yes, two forms now. Before it was just one.

[quote name='hustletron']Anyone get it to work yet? Tried the forms last night and another run time error.[/QUOTE]

You may have to do what I did. I took a screencap of the SUBMIT AND PRINT screen and just copied it into word. I then printed that out with my receipt. I called to confirm that they actually did get submitted.

My points have been on hold since September 22nd for the Playstation Move Bundle, waiting for it to restock.

I'm guessing that I'm just wasting my time waiting for it. Anyone know if they eventually restock items like the Move bundle?

I'm a non-cardholder so it's my last chance at getting anything. =/

Looks like they fixed the site. I sent my forms in on Saturday (11/27), so we'll see how long it takes for the credit to show up (and bonus). It appears that they are processing them a LOT faster, so hopefully that is the case as I don't want to carry $300+ on my CC for a month or two.

[quote name='doubledown']Looks like they fixed the site. I sent my forms in on Saturday (11/27), so we'll see how long it takes for the credit to show up (and bonus). It appears that they are processing them a LOT faster, so hopefully that is the case as I don't want to carry $300+ on my CC for a month or two.[/QUOTE]

I sent in a purchase credit form on Nov 4, got the confirmation email on Nov 10, and the money was actually deducted from my Capital One account today (Nov 29th). My statement closed on the 21, so it's going towards the next one and not credited towards the statement I actually made the purchase on. Something to keep in mind.

The bonus points went in the day I received the confirmation (Nov 10) so +/- a week turnaround on that.

Oh wow, I have 4 points forms from when I tried to submit them, wtf.

EDIT: I went to go redeem my points for a Sony Walkman mp3 player and I have like 400 points over what it costs, they charge fucking tax and it bumped the price up 70 points more over what I currently have. That's so gay.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hustletron']Oh wow, I have 4 points forms from when I tried to submit them, wtf.

EDIT: I went to go redeem my points for a Sony Walkman mp3 player and I have like 400 points over what it costs, they charge fucking tax and it bumped the price up 70 points more over what I currently have. That's so gay.[/QUOTE]

Say what!. They charge tax, that is lame.

quick question, are video games by sony elible for bonus points such as Gran Turismo 5?

[quote name='twicwborn']Say what!. They charge tax, that is lame.

quick question, are video games by sony elible for bonus points such as Gran Turismo 5?[/QUOTE]

Yes. So long as they are purchased from an authorized sony retailer.

[quote name='twicwborn']Say what!. They charge tax, that is lame.

quick question, are video games by sony elible for bonus points such as Gran Turismo 5?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they've started charging sales tax on everything and shipping on Playstation items (which are now only available for card members).

You can definitely get bonus points for GT5- you could also apply for the card credit if you have the points available as well.

I just got 200 points for updating my wishlist instead of the usual 25!

I even went into my points history to confirm it, I don't know if this will be the new norm or just a site glitch, because all of the sony pages are really hard to load.

I think someone may have tried to explain this before, but it did not occur to me to try it until now. As you know, the rewards site has removed the PSN e-Vouchers from the site, and it looks like they may not be coming back.

However, I used my PlayStation Sony Card to purchase two games, and filled out the two forms and mailed them in. I just got the bonus points and I am also getting the credit on my card.

I know it's not as convenient as the e-vouchers, but at least this gives you a faster way to buy games from PSN (rather than buying a PSN card from a retail store and filling out the forms for it). You can download the games, and fill out the forms to get the 5x bonus points and a credit (if you choose).

Keep in mind that the purchase has to be over $10 to apply for the bonus points (I had a Sony rep tell me this before). So I suggest that if you are buying a game that's $9.99, that you buy more than one.

One difference for the digital downloads; when you fill out the forms, for the UPC code, I just put zero (since it's a digital download). For the item number, I got the long alpha-numeric item number from the e-mailed receipt that you get for your purchase (replacing the dashes with spaces). You can probably just put in the title of the game. I included a printed copy of two e-mails, one that shows funds being added to my wallet, and the other that shows my purchase confirmation.

So, I bought Prinny for PSP for $9.99, and also used Atlus' super sale to get Persona for $19.99. Anyway, I just got the credit for the 40 points for Prinny, and the 80 points for Persona, and also, the 999 points + 1999 points are on hold for the credits to be applied to my card.

Anyway, thought I would share. I haven't been buying a lot of PSN games since they took away the e-vouchers, but I figured I'd give this a shot. Now that I know it works, I can now get back to getting some really cool PSN titles that just were released (Pac-man, Laura Croft, etc.).

I found out that Chase was charging me for their Payment Protector scam. The lady (who didn't speak english well) mixed it into the terms and prompted me to say okay as she had done before. I couldn't understand a word she said. The charges didn't show up until 13 months later.

I posted a recording of the call. It's very shady.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ4oSUxLMSw

Anyway beware. I'm so fucking pissed I'm cancelling my card and never letting Chase Bank even sniff my money again. Any recommendations on how to quickly burn 18,000 points?

^ You may want to hold on to your points b/c all accounts are going to be transferred to Capitol One.

[quote name='jh6269']^ You may want to hold on to your points b/c all accounts are going to be transferred to Capitol One.[/QUOTE]

really!? sweet. I love my sony card but I feel like Chase Bank just stole $70+ dollars from me, so I was like screw them I'm canceling this crap. When is this happening?

I was a little disappointed to hear we were moving to Capitol One, as I've never had a single issue with Chase. (Plus, I only had to log on to one website for my two cards.)

But, I just applied for a Capitol One Venture One card, so, I guess I'll have two cards with Capitol One now (and my original "college" card with Chase).

[quote name='dubbfoolio']really!? sweet. I love my sony card but I feel like Chase Bank just stole $70+ dollars from me, so I was like screw them I'm canceling this crap. When is this happening?[/QUOTE]

Did you try speaking to a manager and getting your money back? I know it's a long shot, but you could try that. And if that doesn't work, you can contact the BBB and call your Attorney General's office and see if you can file some kind of complaint. Also, a bunch of these companies make you sign a mandatory binding arbitration agreement, and you can go to arbitration and try to get your money back.

[quote name='jh6269']Did you try speaking to a manager and getting your money back? I know it's a long shot, but you could try that. And if that doesn't work, you can contact the BBB and call your Attorney General's office and see if you can file some kind of complaint. Also, a bunch of these companies make you sign a mandatory binding arbitration agreement, and you can go to arbitration and try to get your money back.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. I'll file a complaint with the BBB. It was really shady how the woman got authorization. She read me the terms and did not ask if I wanted it. Instead she prompted me to say okay because she knew I didn't understand a word she said. I might just cash in the points for a crap load of games and reapply with Capitol One when a good offer strikes.

I received my e-mail for the Bonus Points and Credit on 12/06. It was about a week turnaround. I believe it said the credit would show up on my CC in a week...we'll see. Free PS3 for me...nice.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']I found out that Chase was charging me for their Payment Protector scam. The lady (who didn't speak english well) mixed it into the terms and prompted me to say okay as she had done before. I couldn't understand a word she said. The charges didn't show up until 13 months later.

I posted a recording of the call. It's very shady.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ4oSUxLMSw

Anyway beware. I'm so fucking pissed I'm cancelling my card and never letting Chase Bank even sniff my money again. Any recommendations on how to quickly burn 18,000 points?[/QUOTE]

Cap One tried this when I activated my card, only I was actually listening, she was explaining some extra crap and didn't outright ask me if I wanted it, she explained what she was doing and then asked "Okay?" at the end so had I said Okay back as I'm sure most people do when they keep rambling on for 10 minutes, she would have added some extra monthly charge onto my statement for some crap I didn't need. I said "Wait what are you doing now? I don't want any extra charges onto my statement or card I just want to activate the card and that's it." (That was like the third thing she tried getting me interested in.

Regarding the wish list, do you need to fill up the entire wish list in order to get the monthly points or just add a couple of things?

I always tell them to activate my card and "all I want to do is activate my card, not sign up for your additional programs"

With regards to the rewards site: I find that I need to click through the links from the guide to get the Flashback questions to pop up. It isnt an easy find on the page?

[quote name='twiceborn']Regarding the wish list, do you need to fill up the entire wish list in order to get the monthly points or just add a couple of things?[/QUOTE]

I found out I needed to clear the list then add stuff again. Always add the ~$1000 items just in case you win the daily deal... lol

...waiting for monthly giveaway so I can suspend my 1500pts and submit my 10th Bluray. We had a late second Monday this month.

[quote name='nakanenui']I found out I needed to clear the list then add stuff again. Always add the ~$1000 items just in case you win the daily deal... lol[/QUOTE]

As long as you don't have anything in your wish list that is no longer available, simply clicking the link to your wish list should give you the 20/40 points. That's how I always do it.

[quote name='doubledown']I received my e-mail for the Bonus Points and Credit on 12/06. It was about a week turnaround. I believe it said the credit would show up on my CC in a week...we'll see. Free PS3 for me...nice.[/QUOTE]

Looks like my credit already showed up on my account (pending right now as it did not factor in the total yet). Nice turnaround Sony Rewards :whee:

Well I'm saying screw it. I got playstation move off amazon (even though there is no games for it). As soon as I cash in all my points I'm closing the card out. I'll reapply for for the capitol one card when the right offer strikes. I'm too pissed at Chase to even wait for the account to switch over. I'm mailing them the card in pieces with a big fuck you letter.

Yeah, but if you close your acct., it may hurt your chances of getting the other card. I'd apply for the other card 1st, then cancel your Chase once you are approved.

Why would it hurt your chances of getting the other card? If you're talking about the ding on a person's credit rating when they close a c/c account, I thought that was only very small?

[quote name='CENNY']Why would it hurt your chances of getting the other card? If you're talking about the ding on a person's credit rating when they close a c/c account, I thought that was only very small?[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't hurt your chances of getting another card at all.

I'm not an expert on credit ratings, but I do know that closing accounts can hurt you in two main ways:
1. It lowers your overall available credit. Since the rating is affected by the percentage of available credit you are using at any given point, lowering the total available credit pushes the percentage higher (not a big deal if you don't have a large balance or have a lot of credit available).

Let's say you have two cards with $5,000 limits and you've put $2,000 on one of them. At the moment, you're using $2,000/$10,000=20% of available credit. If you close one card, you're now using $2,000/$5.000=40% of available credit.

2. It shortens your credit history. If it's oldest card you have, it will shorten your credit history and after 10 years (I think) it stops counting at all in your credit history. Again, this isn't a big deal if you have other cards that you've been responsible with.

Thanks for clearing that up. From what you say, neither situation is a a big deal for me (don't have large balance, and it's not my oldest card/I have others), so I might just go ahead and close the Chase, then maybe later open a new one.

Is the Sony Product Registration not giving 500 pts each upto 2500 pts? I tried registering 2 and they both registered successfully but no points credited to my account. Anyone?

bread's done
Back