The definitive sony card rewards thread - a good start to a free game or controller

[quote name='berzirk']PSN $10 cards back in stock under Insider Specials!! Whoo Hoo! I had been waiting for a couple of weeks.[/QUOTE]

I just picked up some as well. I didn't think they were coming back in stock so I got I bb gift card last week.

Thanks for the heads-up, berzirk! I've been waiting for these to come back in stock, and hoped when I saw this thread bumped that that's what had happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jughead']Can someone explain to me which blu rays with bd-live I can use for 100 pts each?[/QUOTE]

They have to be Sony Pictures blu-rays. I haven't registered one in a while, but the BD-live interface of these blu-rays are incredibly generic.

the bastards raised the point prices at least on the Dualshock 3, if not other items. Used to be 5000 with a Jackpot 15% discount to 4250. Now it's 5500 down to 4675. I effing hate paying more than retail on a reward item.

Now I'll have to mess with the purchase credit option. Argh.
Is amazon authorized?

[quote name='velvet396']Now I'll have to mess with the purchase credit option. Argh.
Is amazon authorized?[/QUOTE]
Last time I checked the list, Amazon was an authorized online retailer.

Recently redeemed PS1's UmJammer Lammy for 500 points. Been itching to play a Parappa-like game. Only costs me less than 5 weeks worth of points.

Looks like they've scaled things back SIGNIFICANTLY. I had ordered Parappa for the PSP and it had been 4 weeks. Points were on hold, and they weren't shipping anything. Well, apparently it's now permanently out of stock..as are 13 other games! That's right, you can now choose any PSP game...of the 8 they post. Several PS3 games were dropped, the non-Uncharted PS3 bundle dropped (even though the Uncharted bundle hasn't dropped in rewards points to coincide with the price drop).

Looks like deals are getting a little thin. Might be time to closeout the ole card and get a cashback or other rewards program if they are electing to support this one so poorly now.

[quote name='berzirk']Looks like they've scaled things back SIGNIFICANTLY. I had ordered Parappa for the PSP and it had been 4 weeks. Points were on hold, and they weren't shipping anything. Well, apparently it's now permanently out of stock..as are 13 other games! That's right, you can now choose any PSP game...of the 8 they post. Several PS3 games were dropped, the non-Uncharted PS3 bundle dropped (even though the Uncharted bundle hasn't dropped in rewards points to coincide with the price drop).

Looks like deals are getting a little thin. Might be time to closeout the ole card and get a cashback or other rewards program if they are electing to support this one so poorly now.[/QUOTE]

Just wondering if you know about the points redemption form?? I for one could care less how many points things are on the sony rewards site, especially when I can walk into any target, best buy, walmart, or order online at amazon etc.etc. and just fill out the redemption form and send it in after I purchase my sony item- it's really that simple.

TIP for everyone: if you haven't yet, click on all of the club tabs on the top toolbar on the sony rewards site, you just may have missed a survey if you haven't!!! Also make sure you fill out the questionere in you update account information tab, it'll give you points for doing so.

[quote name='berzirk']Looks like they've scaled things back SIGNIFICANTLY. I had ordered Parappa for the PSP and it had been 4 weeks. Points were on hold, and they weren't shipping anything. Well, apparently it's now permanently out of stock..as are 13 other games! That's right, you can now choose any PSP game...of the 8 they post. Several PS3 games were dropped, the non-Uncharted PS3 bundle dropped (even though the Uncharted bundle hasn't dropped in rewards points to coincide with the price drop).

Looks like deals are getting a little thin. Might be time to closeout the ole card and get a cashback or other rewards program if they are electing to support this one so poorly now.[/QUOTE]

You don't need to cash in your rewards at the rewards site; you can buy any sony product at almost any merchant, fill out the redemption form, and choose cash credit (or something to that effect). Send in the receipt and the UPC and they'll credit your card using your points (you can also choose cash credit + bonus points to get the points too).

I got Killzone for free from the rewards site and it took like 2 weeks to ship--I'll not be ordering on the rewards site again...

[quote name='jh6269']You don't need to cash in your rewards at the rewards site; you can buy any sony product at almost any merchant, fill out the redemption form, and choose cash credit (or something to that effect). Send in the receipt and the UPC and they'll credit your card using your points (you can also choose cash credit + bonus points to get the points too).

I got Killzone for free from the rewards site and it took like 2 weeks to ship--I'll not be ordering on the rewards site again...[/QUOTE]

Not sure I completely understand. I've used the credit for a Sony purchase before for like, 5x the points of the cost, but I usually just use my points to get games I wouldn't have otherwise spent real money on. Many of them are overpriced, but for 3,000pts I could get a game that would cost me $20 at a store. It just seems like they are taking away of lot of things you can redeem points for, so the question (unless I'm really not getting something) is what good are points if there's not really anything of interest to spend them on?

[quote name='berzirk']Not sure I completely understand. I've used the credit for a Sony purchase before for like, 5x the points of the cost, but I usually just use my points to get games I wouldn't have otherwise spent real money on. Many of them are overpriced, but for 3,000pts I could get a game that would cost me $20 at a store. It just seems like they are taking away of lot of things you can redeem points for, so the question (unless I'm really not getting something) is what good are points if there's not really anything of interest to spend them on?[/QUOTE]

Buy any Sony product including PS3 games from almost any store (including online stores like Amazon) and then send in the credit form. I never use my points at the reward store since it's more expensive.

[quote name='ikaden']Buy any Sony product including PS3 games from almost any store (including online stores like Amazon) and then send in the credit form. I never use my points at the reward store since it's more expensive.[/QUOTE]

Yah, I get that I can receive points credit for Sony purchases with my card, is that what you're talking about?

And regarding your points, where do you use them then? To my knowledge they don't apply to anything other than Sony Rewards items. We're talking about the same thing, right? http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/home/sonycard/

My whole point in using the rewards points is that even though some of the games are overpriced (even after the 15% discount) I'm not using money to acquire them, I'm using reward points. I don't want to buy these games with money, then get credit for them after the fact, that I can only use on Sony Rewards catalogue items.

Not only do you get point credit, you can get real $ credit.
For example, i buy a game for $30 on my credit card from best buy. i fill out the forms and mail them in. in about a month my credit card bill has a -30$ credit, and i lose 3,000 points.

Ahhh. So then, what keeps you from getting free Sony stuff if you use your Sony card? Wouldn't I be able to go buy a $10,000 Sony TV, mail in my form, and get $10,000 credited to my card?

Think I found my answer-

A: With the Purchase Credit Option, you can use your Sony Card to shop at any Sony authorized retailer and apply your accumulated Sony Rewards Points to your purchase to receive a full or partial credit to your account.

Here's how it works:
1. Purchase the Sony item(s) you want with your Sony Card at any Sony authorized retailer

2. Click on the YOUR ACCOUNT tab at the top of the Sony Rewards website and the "View Purchase Credit Form" link

3. Fill out the form, print it, and then mail it to the provided address along with a copy of your sales receipt

4. Once your request is processed, we'll credit your account $1 for every 100 Rewards Points you have available, including the points earned for the purchase you just made, within two billing cycles

I'm still missing the catch. You basically just get anything Sony, for free (the only "catch" being that you might have to float the amount for up to 60 days).

The "catch" is they deduct the equivalent in points from your account. So if you don't have 1 million points you can't get a $10,000 credit to your account.

[quote name='DGenerateKane']The "catch" is they deduct the equivalent in points from your account. So if you don't have 1 million points you can't get a $10,000 credit to your account.[/QUOTE]

I'm slow. Now I get it. Heh. Thanks for everybody's patience while I work on reading comprehension!

[quote name='DGenerateKane']The "catch" is they deduct the equivalent in points from your account. So if you don't have 1 million points you can't get a $10,000 credit to your account.[/QUOTE]

This is what I was wondering--say I have 500 points, I buy a $6 item (lacking 100 points), I fill out the form and send it in for cash credit. Do I get a $5 credit and just pay the difference? Or do they just deny it and you're screwed?

[quote name='berzirk']I'm slow. Now I get it. Heh. Thanks for everybody's patience while I work on reading comprehension![/QUOTE]

I also guess they're trying to get you to keep that balance over the grace period so you get a finance charge. I noticed that it takes forever to get the bonus points applied; I'll bet it takes just as long to get the credit before your balance is due (I pay my card to zero each month).

The only good thing about this card is the bonus points, and how you can get free points and stuff via the rewards site. I'm thinking about going back to my regular Chase rewards card because I can buy anything I want and don't have to fill in paperwork. I got my PS3, 2nd controller, and Uncharted for $200 after the credit, so I got my money's worth out of the card...

[quote name='jh6269']This is what I was wondering--say I have 500 points, I buy a $6 item (lacking 100 points), I fill out the form and send it in for cash credit. Do I get a $5 credit and just pay the difference? Or do they just deny it and you're screwed?[/QUOTE]

Yes, exactly what you said - and no they do not deny it, they will deduct as many points as you can give them, and if your short, that amount will just still be on your credit card. If you buy a six dollar item and only have 500 points, they will take 5 bucks off and you will be left with a dollar charge on your card.

[quote name='jh6269']I also guess they're trying to get you to keep that balance over the grace period so you get a finance charge. I noticed that it takes forever to get the bonus points applied; I'll bet it takes just as long to get the credit before your balance is due (I pay my card to zero each month).

The only good thing about this card is the bonus points, and how you can get free points and stuff via the rewards site. I'm thinking about going back to my regular Chase rewards card because I can buy anything I want and don't have to fill in paperwork. I got my PS3, 2nd controller, and Uncharted for $200 after the credit, so I got my money's worth out of the card...[/QUOTE]

I think you may need to go back and read my original post (very first post in this thread;))

I try to explain to the best of my ability just about every aspect of the card, also you are getting your daily free points and entering the daily giveaways right? I doubt your other chase rewards card offers them.

Just gave the thread a look over, I wont be biting at this but its good info regardless. thanks
cagus.smile.jpg

[quote name='rushisrighton']I think you may need to go back and read my original post (very first post in this thread;))

I try to explain to the best of my ability just about every aspect of the card, also you are getting your daily free points and entering the daily giveaways right? I doubt your other chase rewards card offers them.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, the first page is excellent, maybe I can suggest adding the FAQ response that I quoted which (I think) makes it more clear that you only get the dollars credited based on the number of points on your account (with, as stated multiple times $.01=1pt)

[quote name='rushisrighton']I think you may need to go back and read my original post (very first post in this thread;))

I try to explain to the best of my ability just about every aspect of the card, also you are getting your daily free points and entering the daily giveaways right? I doubt your other chase rewards card offers them.[/QUOTE]

I read it twice; I understand pretty much every aspect of the card. The free points are nice, but it's kind of lame you must buy Sony products only. When I use my other card to pay bills instead, I can rack up tons of points in no time. My next 4 or 5 games will be free since I have $250 in points on that card already.

How long does it take you to get the cash credit applied? The site says up to 2 billing cycles.

^^ true, it would be great if we were able to use our points just like cash, but then I suppose it wouldn't be a -sony- card, and sony would have much less of a reason to give you free points through the rewards site. It would be great though.

I'm not sure on exactly how long it takes, but 2 billing cycles sounds about right, might be quicker if done at the beginning of a billing cycle maybe......

Yup, same thing happened to me. I had ordered Little Big Planet and the points were on hold for a month. I checked it the other day and I had my points back and the PS3 selection is very slim.

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but, just wondering if anyone has tried the deal through Jeopardy out?

Here's the link

Looks like the only option you have to redeem is the Uncharted LE bundle for $500 (it's cheaper on Amazon I think). Would be nice if you could basically get the slim for free though.

[quote name='Lokki']Yup, same thing happened to me. I had ordered Little Big Planet and the points were on hold for a month. I checked it the other day and I had my points back and the PS3 selection is very slim.[/QUOTE]

So buy LBP GOTY edition from Amazon on your PS card and fill out the cash credit + bonus points redemption form when you get the game and the receipt. They'll deduct 6,000 points from your card, credit your card for $60, and give you the 120 bonus points.

[quote name='HarryTruman']Not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but, just wondering if anyone has tried the deal through Jeopardy out?

Here's the link

Looks like the only option you have to redeem is the Uncharted LE bundle for $500 (it's cheaper on Amazon I think). Would be nice if you could basically get the slim for free though.[/QUOTE]

I didn't do this specific deal, but the deal I did is identical. Mine was from www.sonystyle.com; they had the same exact deal. I got the Uncharted bundle + a second free wireless controller for $200 after all the credits (and I bought Killzone 2 with my bonus points and other points that accumulated from all the bills I paid).

The deal they had going was get the PlayStation visa, charge at least $299 at sonystyle and get $100 back in credit (took 2 weeks). Then, spend $1500 on the card (buying anything at any merchant) before 3 months, get a second $100 back. Finally, spend $1500 before 6 months, get a 3rd $100 back.

The deal worked, and I got all the credits back automatically. If you do the deal, just make sure you wait for the "qualifying purchase" of the PS3 to hit your account before you charge other stuff. And make sure you pay off your bill each month on time (otherwise they'll screw you with fees and all of the money you save on the deal will go by-by).

I just checked sonystyle ; they have the deal without the bonus offer with the extra $200 credits.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...1&categoryId=8198552921644604396&N=4294960607

And you can get the slim now for $199 after the $100 credit. Or, you can get the other model and get Uncharted and the free controller for $299 after credit.

Thanks! My wife and I are pretty responsible about paying our credit card bills off every month so it shouldn't be any problem. :D

I applied for the card and am waiting for approval, so basically the first thing I would need to buy is the slim on SonyStyle for $299 and then wait to make sure I get the $100 credit before I use it again?

[quote name='HarryTruman']Thanks! My wife and I are pretty responsible about paying our credit card bills off every month so it shouldn't be any problem. :D

I applied for the card and am waiting for approval, so basically the first thing I would need to buy is the slim on SonyStyle for $299 and then wait to make sure I get the $100 credit before I use it again?[/QUOTE]

Not quite. You have 45 days to make your "qualifying purchase;" so when you get the card, buy the PS3 from the site (I called the hotline and ordered). I then went to Chase.com and registered the card so I could check balance and pay online. Wait for the PS3 charge to hit your account before you make your 2nd purchase; you don't have to wait for the $100 credit, but the fine print says that your 1st purchase needs to be the >= 299 one.

Theoretically, it's possible for you to make the qualifying purchase, go to McDonalds the next day, and you could see the McD's charge 1st on your bill (depends on how fast the merchant sends the paperwork to Visa.

So I waited until my sonystyle charge went from pending to the actual charge in the transaction history before I made any more charges.

Also, don't wait to pay your bill when it's due (hoping to get the credit), this will get you a late fee. The credit can take up to 2 billing cycles, so be patient. Mine took 2 weeks from the purchase at sonystyle.

They denied me since I just signed up for the Amazon rewards card which is also Chase, every rewards CC seems to be right now...

So does the $100 credit apply to anything else besides the PS3? I already got a phat bundle at BB so does it work on anything priced >=$299?

[quote name='TheBiz']They denied me since I just signed up for the Amazon rewards card which is also Chase, every rewards CC seems to be right now...

So does the $100 credit apply to anything else besides the PS3? I already got a phat bundle at BB so does it work on anything priced >=$299?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it doesn't need to be a PS3--you can get anything, but your total purchase needs to be >=$299 (read the fine print, it may have changed since I did this deal back in May). Although, you may want to shop around if you're looking for something specific. SonyStyle doesn't have many deals; also, you get charged for sales tax (which sucks). The shipping was free, but I think it depends on what you buy.

I have another Chase rewards card, but I've had it for some time, and I still got accepted. Perhaps it was too recent?

[quote name='HarryTruman']Great! Thanks for all your help.[/QUOTE]

Good luck :) Hope everything works out for you as well as it did for me.

[quote name='jh6269']Yes, it doesn't need to be a PS3--you can get anything, but your total purchase needs to be >=$299 (read the fine print, it may have changed since I did this deal back in May). Although, you may want to shop around if you're looking for something specific. SonyStyle doesn't have many deals; also, you get charged for sales tax (which sucks). The shipping was free, but I think it depends on what you buy.

I have another Chase rewards card, but I've had it for some time, and I still got accepted. Perhaps it was too recent?[/QUOTE]

Yup that's the reason they gave me with their letter. They said I had opened too many (one) accounts with them recently. I'll probably re-apply after my first billing cycle with the Amazon card or when I find something over $299 worth buying, probably an HDTV.

uh oh better use your points quick

Hello XXXX,

This is to inform you that the Sony Rewards MarketPlace program will be discontinued effective September 11, 2009, at which time you'll no longer receive MarketPlace emails nor have access to the MarketPlace website.

If you're a Sony Card or PlayStation� Card holder, you can still access discounts at many name-brand merchants with Visa� Discounts.

Thank you for participating in the MarketPlace program and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Make sure to visit SonyRewards.com often as we continue to add new benefits for our valued members!

Regards,
The Sony Rewards Team

[quote name='kongfunk']uh oh better use your points quick

Hello XXXX,

This is to inform you that the Sony Rewards MarketPlace program will be discontinued effective September 11, 2009, at which time you'll no longer receive MarketPlace emails nor have access to the MarketPlace website.

If you're a Sony Card or PlayStation� Card holder, you can still access discounts at many name-brand merchants with Visa� Discounts.

Thank you for participating in the MarketPlace program and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Make sure to visit SonyRewards.com often as we continue to add new benefits for our valued members!

Regards,
The Sony Rewards Team[/QUOTE]

Is this real???

Hello XXXX,

Regards,
The Sony Rewards Team[/QUOTE]

What is the MarketPlace website? Seems as though it's different than SonyRewards (where you use your points and stuff). You should still be able to use your points at the SonyRewards site.

[quote name='jh6269']What is the MarketPlace website? Seems as though it's different than SonyRewards (where you use your points and stuff). You should still be able to use your points at the SonyRewards site.[/QUOTE]

It's just a click-thru referral site that gives you extra points for shopping at various online stores. Think of ShopDiscover, AmEx's Bonus Points Mall, or Best Buy's Reward Zone Online Mall.

Hello XXXX,

Regards,
The Sony Rewards Team[/QUOTE]I haven't received this email yet.

I did look at what was available in the Sony Card Redeem store and it is rather paltry on PS3 stuff now. Disappointed that they no longer have PSN cards in there anymore.

found this on that rival site.

"Okay, just called customer service (1-866-556-SONY (7669) between the hours of 8:00 am and midnight ET, seven days a week.) and they said that Sony Rewards Marketplace is separate from the Sony Rewards system. The Marketplace is where you can access discounts at name-brand merchants(hence why they link you to a new site that offers similar services), whereas the Sony Rewards system itself is completely different and redeemable for Sony products only.

Points should not be affected, Sony Rewards system still alive and NOT discontinued.

Hope that clears up some confusion! "

Yeah, I was concerned for a second after I got that email too. (I have a bunch of points from a large payment recently.) Then I saw the word "Marketplace" and breathed easier.

I opened a Sony Rewards card last October to take advantage of the $150 off my first purchase which got me an 80gig ps3 for $250. I just not took the time to sign up for all of this stuff because I randomly saw the thread and not I have just over 5000 points.

I'm thinking of either a dual shock 3, even though I already have 2 and will never need a third, or some psn moneys.

bread's done
Back