The definitive sony card rewards thread - a good start to a free game or controller

Hmmm... I have 7600pts. I'm not sure what to do. I would probably get a sonystyle GC if I had to. Do you guys think they would give a warning before cutting the program?

I've been saving up to get a PS Eye to go toward getting the PS Move. Only a few hundred points away. I'm positive our points won't be lost or whatever, the program will just be changed in some way.

Perhaps instead of being credit card only, they'll make it like Bing Cashback (RIP) or Mypoints, and give you reward points if you buy through their site.

[quote name='jchasse'](If not mentioned already)

I SUSPECT SONY REWARDS MAY BE BE DISAPPEARING !!!

Just got a package in the mail from Chase financial. (They are the backers of my Sony Card). States that at the end of the month they will be switching me over to a Chase Flexible rewards card. Same type of point building scheme (1% back) but no mention of Sony. Makes sense when you think of Sony trying to cut costs.[/QUOTE]

So did anyone else get something like this in the mail that says they're being switched over, or was it just this poster?

If Chase/Sony are somehow parting ways, I'm wondering if Chase will transfer the points to whatever new points system will be on the new card they send and the Sony points will be gone? (but if so, what about the Sony points that we got from other things like the daily puzzles, will they stay and only the CC points go or what?).

Another question- if Chase and Sony do split, will we go back to having lots of points but only being able to use like 500 of them at one time at sonyrewards (since we won't have the Sony card anymore)?

[quote name='CENNY']So did anyone else get something like this in the mail that says they're being switched over, or was it just this poster?

If Chase/Sony are somehow parting ways, I'm wondering if Chase will transfer the points to whatever new points system will be on the new card they send and the Sony points will be gone? (but if so, what about the Sony points that we got from other things like the daily puzzles, will they stay and only the CC points go or what?).

Another question- if Chase and Sony do split, will we go back to having lots of points but only being able to use like 500 of them at one time at sonyrewards (since we won't have the Sony card anymore)?[/QUOTE]

First off, SONY rewards are SONY's baby. They are completely separate from chase.

Second, you have up to 1 year from the end of the program to redeem your points. (unless they changed the terms since I last looked).

Third. Chase is not the first bank that had the SONY card. When I signed up 10 years ago it was CITI (citibank) and it was a Mastercard. Now it is a Chase Visa.

Though I would hate to admit it, the program has actually gotten better (in general) over the years.

[quote name='CENNY']So did anyone else get something like this in the mail that says they're being switched over, or was it just this poster?

Another question- if Chase and Sony do split, will we go back to having lots of points but only being able to use like 500 of them at one time at sonyrewards (since we won't have the Sony card anymore)?[/QUOTE]

Seems like he is the only one (no other confirmed case on cag/other forums).
It certainly is a possibility but I find it suspicious that he is the one and only card member receiving this notification.
I'm guessing one of his other Chase cards got converted into Flexible Rewards.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I've been saving up to get a PS Eye to go toward getting the PS Move. Only a few hundred points away. I'm positive our points won't be lost or whatever, the program will just be changed in some way.

Perhaps instead of being credit card only, they'll make it like Bing Cashback (RIP) or Mypoints, and give you reward points if you buy through their site.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't the Move come with an Eye? I swear it did, because I remember being pissed already have an Eye. hmmm.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Doesn't the Move come with an Eye? I swear it did, because I remember being pissed already have an Eye. hmmm.[/QUOTE]

There is a bundle with the move controller, the PS Eye, and move sports (or whatever it's called).
But you can get the controllers separately if you want.

[quote name='wbc1228']I'm guessing one of his other Chase cards got converted into Flexible Rewards.[/QUOTE]
That was my first (and current) thought. Chase has converted co-branded cards in the past, though - most recently the Buy.com cards. But I still think since this is the only case of this I've heard about both here and at FWF, it's either an isolated incident or a case of confusion.

I was in a Chase bank opening an account in July and the banker did say something like this. I forget why he asked for my credit card but when he saw that it was a sony card he said that they're getting rid of it. I thought he was misinformed; I haven't received anything about a switch.

Same here, I have a Sony Card but I haven't received any notice of a change either. I actually only started doing all the daily stuff a few months ago, would be a bummer if it stopped.

Ummm....have you guys failed to click on the "Points PLUS" tab on the right side of the rewards page? You all are talking like Sony is pulling out...if anything it looks like they're offering more. It has a countdown to Sept 15, pictures of the Sony and PS credit card, SONY all over the place, more stores to earn rewards at and up to 10 points per $1 spent. How could you come to any other conclusion?

http://www.pointsplus.sonyrewards.com/sonyrw/

Hm, if the new partnership between Sony and ?(new bank), I wonder what kind of incentive they will have to apply for the new card. I hope its a good one.

[quote name='jallen']Ummm....have you guys failed to click on the "Points PLUS" tab on the right side of the rewards page? You all are talking like Sony is pulling out...if anything it looks like they're offering more. It has a countdown to Sept 15, pictures of the Sony and PS credit card, SONY all over the place, more stores to earn rewards at and up to 10 points per $1 spent. How could you come to any other conclusion?

http://www.pointsplus.sonyrewards.com/sonyrw/[/QUOTE]
I think people are concerned about Chase ending its co-branding with Sony, not with Sony Rewards going away. Since the best features of the rewards programs are for Sony and Playstation card holders, the cards going away would be a big deal.

That said, I haven't seen any evidence to get worried. But I also thought PSN cards were coming back, so maybe everyone should be worried. ;)

[quote name='simmias']I think people are concerned about Chase ending its co-branding with Sony, not with Sony Rewards going away. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, just because the Sony card is continuing, doesn't mean they will use the same bank.

But maybe we are getting worried over nothing. I guess there's not that much right now that says things are changing... Just wish those PSN cards would come back. Sob :(

[quote name='LennyKravitz']Hopefully this means they're adding back PSN vouchers![/QUOTE]

Yeah, don't mean to burst your bubble or anything but don't get your hopes up. They've been OOS for about 10 weeks now, I would be very surprised if they come back. I just have a feeling that they won't be back as long as the PS+ service is around, anyone else agree?

Although, maybe if enough of us email them asking them politely to bring the PSN vouchers back, maybe they'll listen to us? Might be worth a try...

[quote name='CENNY'] I just have a feeling that they won't be back as long as the PS+ service is around, anyone else agree?[/QUOTE]
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've never understood why people think one would have anything to do with the other.

[quote name='simmias']I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've never understood why people think one would have anything to do with the other.[/QUOTE]

I have no real business insight, I just wonder about the timing. Like maybe they prefer "proper" PS+ subscriptions, more than subscriptions subsidized via c/card PSN points? I dunno, I could be wrong.

Sorry I dont know where else to put this but this is only if youre a playstation rls member. Just a heads up though that they've added both Heavy Rain and Modnation Racers. 3000 points each + $10 to ship.

[quote name='kataztrophik']Im assuming that's Sony's rewards program? If so, you probably should have posted it here:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210332[/QUOTE]

No, RLS is for employees of stores that sell PlayStation products. Like Microsoft's Expert Zone.

To add to the OP. Heavy Rain has been there, but MNR is new. They also added a RLS Advocate membership level. I frequent the site and do a lot/99% of all the quizzes and there are unique prizes for Advocates such as DS3s and stuff. Advocates also earn 10% more points.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']No, RLS is for employees of stores that sell PlayStation products. Like Microsoft's Expert Zone.

To add to the OP. Heavy Rain has been there, but MNR is new. They also added a RLS Advocate membership level. I frequent the site and do a lot/99% of all the quizzes and there are unique prizes for Advocates such as DS3s and stuff. Advocates also earn 10% more points.[/QUOTE]

Ahh gotcha...I miss Expert Zone...but leaving Best Buy is still arguably the best thing I ever did =p

[quote name='Saix_XIII']No, RLS is for employees of stores that sell PlayStation products. Like Microsoft's Expert Zone.

To add to the OP. Heavy Rain has been there, but MNR is new. They also added a RLS Advocate membership level. I frequent the site and do a lot/99% of all the quizzes and there are unique prizes for Advocates such as DS3s and stuff. Advocates also earn 10% more points.[/QUOTE]

Well that's odd I was just looking like a few days ago for Heavy Rain I must have missed it. Anyway I'm in for that and now I need another 1900 points for MNR. Time to do some quizzes.

Edit: I see there's already a thread for this here. Oops.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Well that's odd I was just looking like a few days ago for Heavy Rain I must have missed it. Anyway I'm in for that and now I need another 1900 points for MNR. Time to do some quizzes.

I haven't heard of that RLS Advocate thing I'll have to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Games go in and out of stock regularly or they just stop stocking it. I ordered Motorstorm Pacific Rift and a few months ago it just stopped showing up.

I didn't even know the Advocate thing existed, I just got an email one day saying I was one. Here are the specifics from the RLS site:

Q: What is a RLS Advocate?
A: RLS Advocates are RLS members who have visited the site at least once each month for the last six months. We created this title to recognize our most die-hard members for their commitment to ongoing training.

Q: What are the perks of being a RLS Advocate?
A: We are in the process of creating a set of exclusive benefits for RLS Advocates. Future benefits may include:
Exclusive Rewards Catalog items
Point Accelerators: Earn up to 10% extra points for each training module you take.
Invitations to PlayStation® Home events
Invitations to events in your area

Q: How do I know if I have reached RLS Advocate status?
A: You will see the "Advocate" status next to your training stats at the top right of the RLS.

Q: How do I maintain my RLS Advocate status?
A: Just make sure to log in at least once per month to maintain your title.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Games go in and out of stock regularly or they just stop stocking it. I ordered Motorstorm Pacific Rift and a few months ago it just stopped showing up.

I didn't even know the Advocate thing existed, I just got an email one day saying I was one. Here are the specifics from the RLS site:

Q: What is a RLS Advocate?
A: RLS Advocates are RLS members who have visited the site at least once each month for the last six months. We created this title to recognize our most die-hard members for their commitment to ongoing training.

Q: What are the perks of being a RLS Advocate?
A: We are in the process of creating a set of exclusive benefits for RLS Advocates. Future benefits may include:
Exclusive Rewards Catalog items
Point Accelerators: Earn up to 10% extra points for each training module you take.
Invitations to PlayStation® Home events
Invitations to events in your area

Q: How do I know if I have reached RLS Advocate status?
A: You will see the "Advocate" status next to your training stats at the top right of the RLS.

Q: How do I maintain my RLS Advocate status?
A: Just make sure to log in at least once per month to maintain your title.[/QUOTE]

Ah thanks. And I hadnt logged in for a couple months until recently. crap.

EDIT: Random question for anyone who has been using RLS for a while (just found out about it 2 months ago). Do points ever expire like MS Expert Zone? The FAQs makes it sound like they don't but I still worry. :p

Bah they stuck in MNR without me even knowing. Thanks for the heads up though and looks like I have some quizzes to do tonight.

Notice if it hasn't been discussed now: RLS Advocate-only items are strictly accessories, and have stupidly inflated point costs.

Wow. First a mod merges the RLS Advocate thread with this one for God-only-knows-what-reason, then another (same?) mod moves this highly-rated, often updated thread that's been in Video Game Deals since January 2009 into the Sony Gaming thread where it will soon be lost. Nice job, guys!

Can't wait for the XBox Live Subscriptions thread and deals specific to 360 controllers to get moved to the XBox Gaming thread...

[quote name='simmias']Wow. First a mod merges the RLS Advocate thread with this one for God-only-knows-what-reason, then another (same?) mod moves this highly-rated, often updated thread that's been in Video Game Deals since January 2009 into the Sony Gaming thread where it will soon be lost. Nice job, guys!

Can't wait for the XBox Live Subscriptions thread and deals specific to 360 controllers to get moved to the XBox Gaming thread...[/QUOTE]

And merged with this one.

So are we allowed to start a new thread where more people will see it/contribute or no?

P.S. It's September, and looks like the points are still there. But still no PSN ecoupons.

I don't think there's much going on right now (guess that's why nobody's saying much). Those awesome deals where you got $300 off the cost of the PS3 are gone (that's the one I got). And now they took the ecoupons off, I think they're gone for good, because now I can't even see the image of them. It used to say "temporarily out of stock" but now, it's completely gone. I had them in my wish list, but removed them so I could get the 25 pts for updating my wish list. Now I can't get them back.

It really sucks too because thanks to those PSN ecoupons, I have a huge collection of PSN titles. Now I'm going to have to buy them from K-mart or Gamestop and get credit back. I know they're having this new thing called Rewards Plus, where you get 5x, and up to 10x, the points for shopping at Gamestop and other retailers. I guess I'll get my PSN cards there and get bonus points for it too.

Just got an e-mail today about new Points Plus for Sony/Playstation card holders. Not many details yet, but they claim earning 5 points per dollar spent at participating retailers.
Significantly, the list includes Best Buy and Gamestop, among others.

[quote name='jh6269']I don't think there's much going on right now (guess that's why nobody's saying much). Those awesome deals where you got $300 off the cost of the PS3 are gone (that's the one I got). And now they took the ecoupons off, I think they're gone for good, because now I can't even see the image of them. It used to say "temporarily out of stock" but now, it's completely gone. I had them in my wish list, but removed them so I could get the 25 pts for updating my wish list. Now I can't get them back.

It really sucks too because thanks to those PSN ecoupons, I have a huge collection of PSN titles. Now I'm going to have to buy them from K-mart or Gamestop and get credit back. I know they're having this new thing called Rewards Plus, where you get 5x, and up to 10x, the points for shopping at Gamestop and other retailers. I guess I'll get my PSN cards there and get bonus points for it too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the PSN points thing definitely sucks. I'm not into the whole idea of getting credit back (sounds like too many steps involved and I'm not a fan of waiting for stuff like this).

I have nearly 4000 points right now and no idea what to spend it on. I just prefer e-coupons for whatever, I used to get those free rental Blockbuster coupons from them but those started giving me trouble when I was trying to use them in the store. When they started doing the PSN vouchers, that was perfect- redeem the points for instant vouchers, enter it in the PS3, and it was an instant PSN store credit. I would mostly use it for rentals in the PSN movie store.

Still holding on the the tiniest fragment of hope that they'll be back some time, though... I posted this earlier in the thread but didn't get a response- does anyone think it would be a good idea if a bunch of us sent polite emails asking for them to restock the PSN vouchers?

[quote name='CENNY']Yeah, the PSN points thing definitely sucks. I'm not into the whole idea of getting credit back (sounds like too many steps involved and I'm not a fan of waiting for stuff like this).

I have nearly 4000 points right now and no idea what to spend it on. I just prefer e-coupons for whatever, I used to get those free rental Blockbuster coupons from them but those started giving me trouble when I was trying to use them in the store. When they started doing the PSN vouchers, that was perfect- redeem the points for instant vouchers, enter it in the PS3, and it was an instant PSN store credit. I would mostly use it for rentals in the PSN movie store.

Still holding on the the tiniest fragment of hope that they'll be back some time, though... I posted this earlier in the thread but didn't get a response- does anyone think it would be a good idea if a bunch of us sent polite emails asking for them to restock the PSN vouchers?[/QUOTE]

I've done the credit + bonus point mail-in form almost a dozen times, and it's not that hard. All you need to do is fill out the form, and send it in with the receipt. It just takes a LOOOOONG time to get the credit. But I am patient, so it all works out.

I don't know if you have a physical SonyStyle store in your area, but if so, you could just redeem your points for a SonyStyle rewards card, and then go buy a PSN card at the Sony store. Unfortunately for me, I do not have a SonyStyle B&M store in my city.

I have about 9,000 points now and I'm getting the LBP 2 collector's edition w/it. At some point, I'm going to redeem for a Sony Blutooth headset. I've been waiting to find one on clearance somewhere, but to no avail. So I guess I'm going to have to get one for free w/points.

[quote name='jh6269']I've done the credit + bonus point mail-in form almost a dozen times, and it's not that hard. All you need to do is fill out the form, and send it in with the receipt. It just takes a LOOOOONG time to get the credit. But I am patient, so it all works out.

I don't know if you have a physical SonyStyle store in your area, but if so, you could just redeem your points for a SonyStyle rewards card, and then go buy a PSN card at the Sony store. Unfortunately for me, I do not have a SonyStyle B&M store in my city.

I have about 9,000 points now and I'm getting the LBP 2 collector's edition w/it. At some point, I'm going to redeem for a Sony Blutooth headset. I've been waiting to find one on clearance somewhere, but to no avail. So I guess I'm going to have to get one for free w/points.[/QUOTE]
How long does it take to receive a sonystle gift card from them? I might just try the credit route, but still, I have nothing else on my sony card and waiting for the credit will just pile up interest.

[quote name='LennyKravitz']How long does it take to receive a sonystle gift card from them? I might just try the credit route, but still, I have nothing else on my sony card and waiting for the credit will just pile up interest.[/QUOTE]

Rats. I thought those cards were evouchers, but I just checked and it looks like they're regular cards. I've never gotten the SonyStyle cards, so I'm not sure.

[quote name='jh6269']I've done the credit + bonus point mail-in form almost a dozen times, and it's not that hard. All you need to do is fill out the form, and send it in with the receipt. It just takes a LOOOOONG time to get the credit. But I am patient, so it all works out.

I don't know if you have a physical SonyStyle store in your area, but if so, you could just redeem your points for a SonyStyle rewards card, and then go buy a PSN card at the Sony store. Unfortunately for me, I do not have a SonyStyle B&M store in my city.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice, I might try the credit thing out. And a Sonystyle gift card is something I never thought of for PSN points... hmm.

Question to mods: can we keep a Sony Rewards thread in the main games forum so more people will see it and contribute? It was a very popular thread before. Thanks.

I didn't get the 2,500 points for this part.

Go here and register 5 sony products for 2,500 free points, (you don't even have to own them, just fill in the blanks with whatever, but if you have sony stuff, I suggest actually registering it, it's the right thing to do

The Move bundle is now in the rewards catalog for 10,499 pts, 8924 with jackpot applied. Not too shabby. You can even get it for 8924 if you don't have the Sony/Playstation card.

[quote name='simmias']The Move bundle is now in the rewards catalog for 10,499 pts, 8924 with jackpot applied. Not too shabby. You can even get it for 8924 if you don't have the Sony/Playstation card.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... I have just enough for the bundle....

The individual Move controllers are up also. :)

I have enough points for the main controller, then I'll grab the Navigation controller from Amazon using my $10 cert, so I'll only be out of pocket about $20 (already have the eye). :D

bread's done
Back