The EGM scores for this month...

The URBZ: Sims in the City - 7.5, 5.0, 7.0

I thought this would have done better than that. I got rid of Bustin' Out because I was planning on picking this game up. I guess I should have kept it...

[quote name='Trakan']I had no idea Mario Power Tennis was coming out already.[/quote]
yeah i preordered it at gr; i can't wait to get it.

[quote name='sj41']The URBZ: Sims in the City - 7.5, 5.0, 7.0

I thought this would have done better than that. I got rid of Bustin' Out because I was planning on picking this game up. I guess I should have kept it...[/quote]

Have you tried The Sims 2? The control interface for the console-based Sims games, to me, doens't really seem as organized as the PC games.

has anyone not gotten their EGM yet? if so please post and tell what general area you live in. I'm starting to think my copy got lost in the mail or something.

MGS3 didnt get what I expected it too...I also thought it would be in the tie for GOTM award...maybe cuz the hype surrounding GTA:SA and Halo 2 they didn't really care enough to enjoy it?
And the Bards Tale scores....whats with that?

I got my EGM today

Someone asked about MGS3 so here goes.....
Mark: The setup is nothing new - every Metal Gear plops you in the middle of nowhere with only your wits to get by. But Snake Eater delivers on the survive-and-conquer premise like never before. Staying hidden via stealth and camo, picking off the enemy one by one, living on captured snakes and fish, prying bullets out of your body before sewing up you wounds - Rambo would be proud.

One thing I can't stress enough: Patience is absolutely required to appreciate MGS3's unique new features. For example, almost any time you get hurt, you need to stop the game and head to the cure subscreen to spread ointment on burns, or ment broken bones. Innovative and definitely realistic, but when you're hurrying or in a boss fight, constantly switching to a menu can be jarring and annoying. Likewise, swapping different uniforms and face paints to camoflage yourself is great fun - lying in wait for an enemy perfectly hidden in the tall grass is what its all about - but it also requires switching to a subscreen.

Luckily, Konami added a great reward for staying stealthy - my favorite new featrue, the close quarters combat system. Get close enough to grab any enemy and your options are astounding: Slam him to the ground, interrogate him, slit his throat, choke him unconscious, take him hostage, etc - all these moves are executed with amazingly lifelike animation. Sure, you could gun your way through the whole game and never bother with CQC, but for those of us who know the thrills of true stealth gameplay, MGS3 offers an impressive deep end worth diving into.

And the graphics, Snake Eaters outdoor environments are huge, bigger than anything Metal Gear Solid or any other console game has done before, yet detaled down to the individual blades of grass. Seriously, at tiems its hard to beleive this game is running on a PS2 - it would still be a feat for the Xbox. All the open space does come with a price, though. The irregular natural terrain and the fact that the new sonar radar doens't show walls or where enemies are looking make it difficult to locate and keep track of bad guys. Metal Gear's top down camera is not up to the task., so the player must constantly swithc to the firest person view or slowly craw everywhere just to play it safe. I hate to say it, but I thnk the time has come to kiss the traditional view good-bye and embrace a more Splinter Cell-style camera.

As for the biggest complaints about MGS2 - its bland, androgynous hero and convoluted story - MGS3 puts the series back on track. The plot is still filled with crazy twists and bizzare dialogue but the overarching plot is exciting and unpredicatble as a great summer movie. Add in tons of secrets, a bewildering array of different ways to tackle bosses, optional cut scenes and mini-games, and the overall polsih Kojima is known for and you have one of Ps2's best games

This was from the review that gave it a 9. The other two gave it a 9.5 and a 10

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Outrun 2 6, 6.5, 8 [/quote]
It makes me sad that games need depth to be good these days.

The innocence and blissful fun of old games just doesn't seem to cut it in reviews these days.

[quote name='gnawingonfoot'][quote name='Ugamer_X']Outrun 2 6, 6.5, 8 [/quote]
It makes me sad that games need depth to be good these days.

The innocence and blissful fun of old games just doesn't seem to cut it in reviews these days.[/quote]

That's not true. Look at Katamari Damacy. It is one of the simplest games ever.

i think gta sa is more of the same (i am about half way through the story), i don't think it's as fun as the first two in large part because of the driving distance between cities and the cities themselves are harder to get a feel for (i haven't got to the last city yet so i can't comment)

[quote name='andrew333']i think gta sa is more of the same (i am about half way through the story), i don't think it's as fun as the first two in large part because of the driving distance between cities and the cities themselves are harder to get a feel for (i haven't got to the last city yet so i can't comment)[/quote]

I feel you. After putting in a lot of time with Metroid Prime 2, GTA:SA, and Halo 2, I can comfortably say I disagree with pretty much all reviews. I would give GTA:SA a 7.5 if I was generous. They have created a nice world, but they forgot to make a decent game. Everything controls horribly, the missions are more annoying than fun, cities aren't big enough but bridges sure are.
Halo 2 should get a 9.0. Better than the first, but nowhere near as innovative (not the first was that innovative but it was the best console FPS since goldeneye). Multiplayer = +. Unfinished story = --.
Metroid Prime 2 = more of the same. But given that Metroid Prime was just about the best game I played at the time it came out I am fine with that. Puzzles are intriguing. Graphics are nothing amazing, but the art and level design are phenomenal. If you really hated the controls in the first, this will do nothing for you though. I would give it 9.5.
I am waiting on Metal Gear Solid 3, but as consoles go I expect Metroid Prime 2 to be my favorite. If I had a good enough computer I would expect Half Life 2 to crush them all.

Games that scored an award this month (December)

Silver
Need for Speed Underground 2 (PS/XB/GC)
Viewtiful Joe 2 (PS/GC)
Ace Combat 5 (PS)
Jak 3 (PS)
Mario Power Tennis (GC)
Fantasy I&II (GBA)

Gold
MGS3 (PS2)
Ratchet and Clank (PS)
Metriod Prime 2

Platinum